• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeolist

Banned
characters, story, and support mechanics have always been the worst in FE

i underestimated the capability of anime fans to latch onto the most awful parts of the game and make them huge

LOL How the hell did that feature was even thought of? and then approved and added to the og game

it's a niche japanese series

you must have creepy waifu bullshit in order to sell there these days

shira

I WANNA PET MY FUCKIN WAIFU

FUCK YOUJ NINTENDO

e02.gif

yo this thread is fuckin dead.

I blame hylian

also, procarbine ain't shit in diablo 3

Majors killed competitive play. Last few years top teams would play like every other week. Now teams like OG and EG play 8x a year.

LOL How the hell did that feature was even thought of? and then approved and added to the og game

i underestimated the capability of anime fans to latch onto the most awful parts of the game and make them huge

same as persona supports

some people dont want to play the game just the chars speaking and other stupid shit

if you are persona player ur cancer through and through

going back to play sum more mh4u and pounding monsters gg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Playing Boobs and Souls.

Better PvP game than DOTA.

There's been plenty of great characters in Fire Emblem, stories have mostly been meh and support conversations are hit or miss(the gameplay mechanic is pretty good though).

I play it mostly for that SRPG greatness but it's not the only thing it offers.

there's hope for me since i got eurotrash 3ds i got in spain so the translation might be different and i'll avoid the doge meme from treehouse

it's a niche japanese series

you must have creepy waifu bullshit in order to sell there these days

I wouldn't categorize it like that, a lot of people in Japan probably aren't interested in waifus/creepy stuff at all, there's just less of a cultural stigma for that and waifu stuff costs next to nothing to produce and can potentially be very profitable. It's good business sense to put in "harmless" creepy stuff for the Japan release and remove it when you release the game in a market where the numbers don't make as much sense for it. It's the Western people who cry about censorship who are the real creepers.

Hylian7

it is literally the same

casual mode in fire emblem is the easy mode of fire emblem

it is a variant in that the variant is there's no permadeath

get over it

you're being an elitist buttwad

It's not the same thing at all. There are garbage "casual" modes like this plenty of other games, and they are the wrong way to play there. An example would be that one-handed (touch screen on Wii U) mode in Bayonetta.
casual mode didn't destroy etrian godyssey <3

casual mode scrota would be fun tbh

-em was a thing in the past, it was pretty garbage.

yo this thread is fuckin dead.

I blame hylian

also, procarbine ain't shit in diablo 3
I blame anime.

Russ T

Banned
yes it is literally the same thing - it is a variant of the normal mode that makes the game easier

and there is no "wrong" way to play a fucking video game

Awakening was made with casual in mind, so it is already one way to be played.

Casual is god's grace on harder modes, no one has the time to waste on resets on lunatic.

Permadeath has NEVER been an attractive quality to many people. One of the reasons Awakening sold a lot it is because it is considerably easier on normal compared to previous entries, Radiant Dawn's normal was pretty hard since it was the hard mode on the japanese version (US hard was JP lunatic), was released when there weren't many 3DS games, tight presentation, has infinite grinning, and due to the popularity of dating sim elements on other games like Mass Effect, Skyrim, etc., supports were also well received.

Considerably, games like FE7/8/9 sold a lot less because they didn't have any of these. Whatever you think it is the "way to be played", it doesn't exist anymore except on those old games.
God bless FEA's Lunatic/Lunatic+.

aeolist

Banned
I wouldn't categorize it like that, a lot of people in Japan probably aren't interested in waifus/creepy stuff at all, there's just less of a cultural stigma for that and waifu stuff costs next to nothing to produce and can potentially be very profitable. It's good business sense to put in "harmless" creepy stuff for the Japan release and remove it when you release the game in a market where the numbers don't make as much sense for it. It's the Western people who cry about censorship who are the real creepers.

nah i'm saying that niche japanese games (esp on console/handheld) have almost been entirely squeezed out of the market and they basically have to appeal to otakus in some way in order to get those guaranteed yens

if you're making monster hunter or something that sells millions no matter what you can do what you want, otherwise you'd better have some waifus

M.D

I'm trying to educate myself on how to play Crusader Kings 2.
I remember when I first started playing Civ V and thought it was hard

pTFnma6.gif

Hylian7

yes it is literally the same thing - it is a variant of the normal mode that makes the game easier

and there is no "wrong" way to play a fucking video game
By removing a core mechanic of the game? No, it isn't the same. It would be like some mode where neutral camp stacking was removed to make it a "casual" mode, despite the fact that farming them is all about effeciency, and that includes stacking.

Russ T

Banned
man i don't have time to be pointing out you're wrong over and over again, go ahead and be immature about it if you want

By removing a core mechanic of the game? No, it isn't the same. It would be like some mode where neutral camp stacking was removed to make it a "casual" mode, despite the fact that farming them is all about effeciency, and that includes stacking.
I remember when Reddit wanted that to happen in 6.86.

Hylian7

I remember when Reddit wanted that to happen in 6.86.
Reddit suggests a lot of stupid things. I do remember most people (myself included) thought something needed to be done about stacking back then, but not necessarily removing it. In 6.86, the map changes effectively did that to curtail the "mid had a bad lane so time to start stacking camps".

hylian why are you so stubborn over stupid shit

classic is still in, casual is an option (a good option for people who can't waste a lot of time and don't like killing haracters permanently), the game has casual from the get go so it was made with it in mind

did u know netrual stacking was a bug on dota 1

or how little tread switching matters to new people or even at higher levels compared to another crap

how blink is totally viable on ember

hylian isn't going to give up until there's a 5K MMR fire emblem player to tell him he's wrong, or a professional fire emblem player plays casual on stream

Hylian7

hylian why are you so stubborn over stupid shit

classic is still in, casual is an option (a good option for people who can't waste a lot of time and don't like killing haracters permanently), the game has casual from the get go so it was made with it in mind

did u know netrual stacking was a bug on dota 1

or how little tread switching matters to new people or even at higher levels compared to another crap

how blink is totally viable on ember

Of course I knew neutral stacking was a bug, that turned into a mechanic later on.

You're really blowing my tread switching argument out of proportion here, but whatever. Lets not go down that rabbit hole again.

Why am I always the "stubborn" one? All of you are just as stubborn, if not moreso.

Russ T

Banned
Why am I always the "stubborn" one? All of you are just as stubborn, if not moreso.

because your entire argument with this fire emblem thing is that "casual" players are playing the game "wrong", which is something only an obstinate child would actually believe

EDIT: ^ preach it, pepper, my friend

Hylian7

because your entire argument with this fire emblem thing is that "casual" players are playing the game "wrong", which is something only an obstinate child would actually believe

You're just trying to marginalize my argument by calling it childish.

ONE OF THE BIGGEST REASONS VIDEOGAMES ARE SO BIG IT IS BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT OF FREEDOM IT GIVES COMPARED TO ANY OTHER MEDIUM

THERE'S NO DISPUTE TO THIS SO CALLING "CORRECT" WAY TO PLAY IS THE SHITTIEST ARGUMENT EVER AND PUTS DOWN ONE OF THE MAIN REASON THIS MEDIUM MOVES SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY AND PEOPLE

AND WHY NICHE THINGS ARE ALLOWED TO EXIST ALSO DUMB SHIT AND OTHER SHIT YOU MIGHT DISLIKE OR LIKE EVEN

For what it's worth, I think there are totally right and wrong ways to pay a game. If you're not affecting anyone else's enjoyment of the game however, I don't really mind how you find enjoyment of the game. If playing a single player game in easy mode is fun for you, go for it. If you're feeding couriers in a dota match I hope you burn in low priority hell.

Hylian7

ONE OF THE BIGGEST REASONS VIDEOGAMES ARE SO BIG IT IS BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT OF FREEDOM IT GIVES COMPARED TO ANY OTHER MEDIUM

THERE'S NO DISPUTE TO THIS SO CALLING "CORRECT" WAY TO PLAY IS THE SHITTIEST ARGUMENT EVER AND PUTS DOWN ONE OF THE MAIN REASON THIS MEDIUM MOVES SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY AND PEOPLE

AND WHY NICHE THINGS ARE ALLOWED TO EXIST

I think your caps lock is broken.

My point is that a lot of stuff (like FE:A/Fates casual mode) is the inferior way to play. It removes a core mechanic and most of the challenge from the game. No, they don't have to play on Lunatic difficulty their first time, or even ever. That's fine. Just playing on a mode that removes something the series has had as a core mechanic since it's start, and has lived on with that mechanic is a really inferior way to play the game, and you're robbing yourself of the best experience.

Hylian7

I have no real problem with Casual mode.

If you are playing Phoenix Mode however you might want to put the game down and go watch a movie instead or something.

Yeah I don't understand why Phoenix Mode exists at all. Causal mode was already the easiest it could possibly get, and then apparently some people thought it needed to be easier. Makes absolutely zero sense.

gai_shain

It's not the same thing at all. There are garbage "casual" modes like this plenty of other games, and they are the wrong way to play there. An example would be that one-handed (touch screen on Wii U) mode in Bayonetta.

I cheat whenever I feel like it in singleplayer games and its not a wrong way to play those games

For what it's worth, I think there are totally right and wrong ways to pay a game. If you're not affecting anyone else's enjoyment of the game however, I don't really mind how you find enjoyment of the game. If playing a single player game in easy mode is fun for you, go for it. If you're feeding couriers in a dota match I hope you burn in low priority hell.

You specifically punished for doing this. Unlike playing an easy mode or hard mode on a single player.

The rules have always been different for multiplayer cuz you are playing with other people, even then DOTA 2 stills allow users to go stupid ass build like carry dazzle where you can win, and unlike league it won't punish you. That's one of the greatest things of this game, and one of the best things icefrog has done is opening more roles for heroes instead of sticking with the shit carry super hard support games when I started. blink was a total game changer, so was more items for supports to find kills or saving teammates and less restrictive about it.

With my comment on Phoenix Mode being said, I have no problem with people playing that way either.

Their game, they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom