• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Storage

http://www.dotacinema.com/vods
Go here and then press heroes and choose Lycan
This lets you look at every game that has been recently with a Lycan in it.

I think TL vs Team Dog one is a pretty good game because it shows how good of a rat Lycan is even if there's backdoor protection.

Edit: Woops I quoted the wrong person :D
Sorry Boken

BeesEight

first fnatic now anuxi
ur pure evil

He hates everything pure and wonderful in this game.

i dont see how its 'dumb'
they arent targetting anuxi, theyre saying valve are stupidly lazy and ruining their own game

It's dumb because the frame of the discourse is in a very combative manner. Anuxi getting a second chest is in no way a "slap in the face" to every other workshop member. It's also curious the insinuation that so much of Anuxi's work gets in due to "luck" and not because it is both well made and popular; the two primary attributes that the community itself has made the deciding factor in workshop submissions.

Honestly, the second chest for Anuxi is probably part of the test with the new chest system featuring sets and bonus awards. Why Anuxi? Well, I am unaware of any other contributor that has had as many full sets individually accepted to the store in the last couple of years that could warrant their own. There seems to be an emphasis on the Dazzle set being up for only four days which, given its use as a bonus in a new set focussed chest, seems more likely that it would make an excellent test of the market than any sort of implied favouritism. This Dazzle set may have got in after four days, but how long did some of her other sets languish on the workshop and in the files before getting implemented?

I agree there are issues with the workshop and item implementation. I do think that it's unfortunate there's lack of communication with contributors (even though given the number involved, how small Valve's team is, how much work is involved between updating Dota 2 and running the International with that small team combined with Valve's general community response it is hardly unsurprising) but this is probably the least convincing argument someone could use. The fact we get questionable sets and couriers because they're packaged with a ticket and can sometimes appear to be "workshop rejects" but still get in because of bundles is a fair complaint.

But no, let's complain that Valve's playing favourites because a highly successful artist got one more quality set in over popular neglected set X still awaiting approval. It's hard for these complaints framed in this way to not sound like "Me! Me! Me!" which is not doing the discussion any good.

Boken

Banned
i think the complaint is just symptomatic of the greater issues that are plaguing the market

anuxi getting another chest reminds them of the pressure point that many great artists are being sidelined for established popular modelers

You admit there's and issue with the workshop and item implementation.

And people are asking why other sets aren't treated with the same amount of expediency.

All valid concerns.

edit:

Why Anuxi? Well, I am unaware of any other contributor that has had as many full sets individually accepted to the store in the last couple of years that could warrant their own.

This is precisely the reason why people are asking for clarification of the submission process - utterly question begging.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wish valve would flat out deny items rather then let them rot. A category that says something like "We have considered this item but decided against it", and maybe give a general suggestion on a way to improve it.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I wish valve would flat out deny items rather then let them rot. A category that says something like "We have considered this item but decided against it", and maybe give a general suggestion on a way to improve it.
You only get constructive feedback if you place Top 5 in a Polycount Contest

BeesEight

i think the complaint is just symptomatic of the greater issues that are plaguing the market

anuxi getting another chest reminds them of the pressure point that many great artists are being sidelined for established popular modelers

I think it's symptomatic of the greater issues too which is why I say this particular argument is bad and counter productive. Instead of complaining about Anuxi getting another chest, actually discuss the greater issues. Because I doubt the real issue the contributors have is that there are individual artist chests and they feel that no one should be allowed having them.

You admit there's and issue with the workshop and item implementation.

And people are asking why other sets aren't treated with the same amount of expediency.

All valid concerns.

edit:

This is precisely the reason why people are asking for clarification of the submission process - utterly question begging.

If the only complaint is "Valve why u no talk to me?" then it's an empty complaint. Valve doesn't talk to anyone. Yes, it's frustrating but we know how their company works and it has been incredibly successful for them. Asking them to give up on their structure because it doesn't suit workshop contributor needs is ludicrous. They're not going to demand one of their artist/modelers to give up on their autonomy to sit and overseer the workshop everyday and write personalized emails for every contributor why X set didn't meet "standards."

It would be more constructive if people offered realistic alternatives or systems that could be employed given the clear restrictions they operate under.

Acinixys

I agree.

Also, the quality of sets they are added are so inconsistent and random. They add 100% trash over glorious items that you can see are made with so much love and care

This got in (added 21 Sep, 2013)
dota_item_outcast_of_the_deep_set_large.756e99387c00132627779ed520a3d8fd8a9b8750.png

This didnt (added 14 Nov, 2013)

GG Valve

If the only complaint is "Valve why u no talk to me?" then it's an empty complaint. Valve doesn't talk to anyone. Yes, it's frustrating but we know how their company works and it has been incredibly successful for them. Asking them to give up on their structure because it doesn't suit workshop contributor needs is ludicrous. They're not going to demand one of their artist/modelers to give up on their autonomy to sit and overseer the workshop everyday and write personalized emails for every contributor why X set didn't meet "standards."

It would be more constructive if people offered realistic alternatives or systems that could be employed given the clear restrictions they operate under.

Problem is, they do, constantly with the select contributors. Anuxi stated that they asked her and a few others about how to breakdown the constituent parts of heroes for example.

If your system is that flawed and you're ok-ing items immediately from a select few, don't position it as being about the merits of items.

Chris R

Yep like "Doesn't fit lore/color scheme", "Bad textures/polys", ect.

Either let them know it has a chance somewhere down the line or it will never make it.

BeesEight

Problem is, they do, constantly with the select contributors. Anuxi stated that they asked her and a few others about how to breakdown the constituent parts of heroes for example.

If your system is that flawed and you're ok-ing items immediately from a select few, don't position it as being about the merits of items.

If I'm not mistaken, I also recall Anuxi having a couple of sets languish away in files and on the workshop without any word from Valve why they hadn't been added.

I seriously doubt Anuxi or any contributor has a red phone to Valve that gets answered the moment they ring.

If I'm not mistaken, I also recall Anuxi having a couple of sets languish away in files and on the workshop without any word from Valve why they hadn't been added.

I seriously doubt Anuxi or any contributor has a red phone to Valve that gets answered the moment they ring.

As do I. Pity that's not what was said. She might have a direct email line instead that is answered as opposed to others being completely ignored.

If you want techies, ask Anuxi to model them then submit. They'll be in by Monday.
that was a joke before I'm banned

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Yep like "Doesn't fit lore/color scheme", "Bad textures/polys", ect.

Either let them know it has a chance somewhere down the line or it will never make it.
It's almost the same problem that all the big tech companies have that they only hire very very select people - but there are still menial tasks that these people don't want to do.

elyetis

Dude you're 8 minutes late on that joke
Yeah it happen when I begin a message just before I begin a turn in Rome total war 2. :( By the time I submit it so much thing can happen ( except a dota 2 patch, a total war turn doesn't take 2+ month ).

mfaex

Yeah it happen when I begin a message just before I begin a turn in Rome total war 2. :( By the time I submit it so much thing can happen ( except a dota 2 patch, a total war turn doesn't take 2+ month ).

I've had that problem with Civ.

Meanwhile, giant slayers succeed again.

BeesEight

As do I. Pity that's not what was said. She might have a direct email line instead that is answered as opposed to others being completely ignored.

This is my point - I seriously doubt she has a direct email line that answers all her questions. I just browsed her workshop profile and The Glacial Wurm is neither added nor flagged as unsuitable. It was posted in July so either, according to you, Anuxi is lazy and hasn't made the changes no doubt this "direct email" would answer for her or, all the more likely, she doesn't have Valve's ear anymore than any other artist.

Unless your whole point is to show that Valve has, at some point, sent a few notes about people's work a few times in the past. But if that is the great offending "favouritism" that is ruining the workshop then I don't know if I can really sympathize with contributors.

Aaron

Navi had surprisingly soft lineup. Couldn't split push, and leaned too much on Spectre to do all the damage. Bounty kept them in the game, but once money no longer mattered there was nothing they could do.

inkls

Good idea on the deso+AC for the negative armor. Would you build that after drums and get BKB late game, or go treads -> deso?

It was mostly a joke based on this image:

I haven't played much shadow fiend to be an authority on the matter (last game I played with him http://dotabuff.com/matches/579356190). Its fun if you just farm the items, but its probably not worth getting more then one armor reduction item instead of getting damage.

Not a fan of drums on him, he already has a decent move speed with treads and Aquila is a better alternative in my opinion personally. It doesn't give as much hp or attack speed as drums, but you're getting:

• 18 dmg
  • 4 armor
  • 9 attack speed
  • 57 hp
  • 39 mana
  • and +0.65 mana regen
for 985 gold

vs 1875 gold for:
  • 12 dmg
  • 1 armor
  • 14 attack speed
  • 171 hp
  • 117 mana

If you have trouble farming with SF you'd probably want an aquila over drums unless you really want that +5% ms. (its what +17-18 extra ms if you have treads?)

I think Shadow Blade/blink are good on him for setting up ults in teamfights. I personally prefer Shadow blade because there's a slight delay before you get out of invis when you start channeling your ult so its easier to pull off. It also helps in escape when you play in pubs who don't get dust, wards, gem.

Go bkb if they have lots of stun/silences in teamfights that prevents you from using your ult. Grab deso or dae otherwise. (might be wrong, barely play him remember).

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The Dreamleague hud is going to be rad. Skymage/Venge themed, variation based on day/night. Need now!

This is my point - I seriously doubt she has a direct email line that answers all her questions. I just browsed her workshop profile and The Glacial Wurm is neither added nor flagged as unsuitable. It was posted in July so either, according to you, Anuxi is lazy and hasn't made the changes no doubt this "direct email" would answer for her or, all the more likely, she doesn't have Valve's ear anymore than any other artist.

Unless you're whole point is to show that Valve has, at some point, sent a few notes about people's work a few times in the past. But if that is the great offending "favouritism" that is ruining the workshop then I don't know if I can really sympathize with contributors.

Do you actually understand what's been written so far? When have I ever accused her of being lazy? Is there any room for nuance at all?

She herself says she is in contact with Valve directly, they consult her and other specific contributors on how to break up constituent parts on prospective heroes. I have simply repeated that. She also acknowledges the fact there's an imbalance with her items compared to other creator.

So far, I've just repeated what she has already confirmed. The fact an item of hers hasn't got in doesn't negate the fact she now has a second crate along with a set approved in a very short amount of time. There's an imbalance and people want clarification.

You need to learn that by asking questions doesn't immediately mean there's an accusation of her being lazy or awful or whatever you seem to think is being implied.

You and your gang of strawmen need to sit down and have a cup of tea.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This got in (added 21 Sep, 2013)

This didnt (added 14 Nov, 2013)

GG Valve

I'm guessing the Batrider set got denied for the same reason the Anubis PL set got denied

Valve said:
Unfortunately, we are not able to add this set as it does not meet the required standards for items in Dota 2.

We are unable to add sci-fi styled items to the game. We have marked the set as incompatible for Dota 2 for this reason.

If you would like us to add the ticket without an item set please let me know.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
If you have trouble farming with SF you'd probably want an aquila over drums unless you really want that +5% ms. (its what +17-18 extra ms if you have treads?)

I think Shadow Blade/blink are good on him for setting up ults in teamfights. I personally prefer Shadow blade because there's a slight delay before you get out of invis when you start channeling your ult so its easier to pull off. It also helps in escape when you play in pubs who don't get dust, wards, gem.

Go bkb if they have lots of stun/silences in teamfights that prevents you from using your ult. Grab deso or dae otherwise. (might be wrong, barely play him remember).

Good points ink. I'm going to try this out tonight. I just took a second look at my test match last night and I purchased aquilla + drums, haha.

SamVimes

Do you actually understand what's been written so far? When have I ever accused her of being lazy? Is there any room for nuance at all?

She herself says she is in contact with Valve directly, they consult her and other specific contributors on how to break up constituent parts on prospective heroes. I have simply repeated that. She also acknowledges the fact there's an imbalance with her items compared to other creator.

So far, I've just repeated what she has already confirmed. The fact an item of hers hasn't got in doesn't negate the fact she now has a second crate along with a set approved in a very short amount of time. There's an imbalance and people want clarification.

You need to learn that by asking questions doesn't immediately mean there's an accusation of her being lazy or awful or whatever you seem to think is being implied.

You and your gang of strawmen need to sit down and have a cup of tea.
This is a non-issue. It's like a new writer trying to get his first book published as opposed to an established writer that already sold best sellers, obviously the latter is gonna get speedtracked. It sucks for someone new and very talented at the beginning but you can only allocate a finite amount of resources to anything so the process takes longer for the small guys.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine

I don't ask nor want special treatment from valve, I take pride in relying on my own skills to pay the bills. Not my contacts.

A select group can get asked for feedack for valve's wip's. Just simple stuff like should tiny have separate slots for arms, head, body or should we just keep it all one model?

(we went with the latter)

This is a non-issue. It's like a new writer trying to get published as opposed to an established writer that already sold best sellers, obviously the latter is gonna get speedtracked. It sucks for someone new and very talented at the beginning but you can only allocate a finite amount of resources to anything so the process takes longer.

That was all that people were saying. I fully understand why it happens - people can't keep pretending the workshop is done on merit anymore. Simple as that.

Volodja

It's not a delay on the invis fading, the ultimate isn't channeling, it just has a long casting animation and casting animations don't break invis, only when the spell actually happens invisibility is broken.
Channeling is different because the channeling time is already part of the activated spell (which is why in the case of channeling spells they go on cooldown even if you don't complete them while you can cancel the casting animation for SF ulti as many times as you want and it doesn't go on cooldown).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if we will get another blog post tonight. Some more details on TI4 would be nice, and I would love a post showing off things to come like TF2 just got.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine

A thing I didn't know about Requiem is that it also slows the attack speed and damage of nearby units, which is vital in a teamfight. Can you imagine how good this is with other attack speed slowing skills like Pheonix's bullshit birds? Geesus!

So what I learned was as long as you hit as many as possible, you are doing a great service. You dont always need to go for the biggest damage to win a teamfight.

inkls

Good points ink. I'm going to try this out tonight. I just took a second look at my test match last night and I purchased aquilla + drums, haha.

Cool, so you'll be online later tonight?

It's not a delay on the invis fading, the ultimate isn't channeling, it just has a long casting animation and casting animations don't break invis, only when the spell actually happens invisibility is broken.
Channeling is different because the channeling time is already part of the activated spell (which is why in the case of channeling spells they go on cooldown even if you don't complete them while you can cancel the casting animation for SF ulti as many times as you want and it doesn't go on cooldown).

I know all that haha, I just refer to it as channeling out of habit.

A thing I didn't know about Requiem is that it also slows the attack speed and damage of nearby units, which is vital in a teamfight. Can you imagine how good this is with other attack speed slowing skills like Pheonix's bullshit birds? Geesus!

So what I learned was as long as you hit as many as possible, you are doing a great service. You dont always need to go for the biggest damage to win a teamfight.

Yep, but don't tell people about it, I like it when people don't read the tooltips when against me.

Wonder if SF's ult will stack with Pit lord's atrophy aura. Would be interesting to see a strat rival the negative armor strat; the damage reduction strat.

Its what, damage reduced by 71% in a teamfight just from those two?
And then Kunkka's ult with another 50% dmg reduction: 85% dmg reduction.

Add Medusa with mana shield for the heck of it and she will only receive 8% of the total damage. (92% *rounded damage reduction).

Damage reduction strat too strong.

Top Bottom