• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

I honestly think this is a normal Kuroky Rubick performance.

He is always so poor that he just bursts immediately. They didn't lose this because of him but it's so limp when he plays.

KingKong

Good thing the rest of NaVis' games are pretty easy but it's gonna come down to the last few games and matchups for the last 3 spots. Alliance could actually drop out too I think

Just simple stuff like should tiny have separate slots for arms, head, body or should we just keep it all one model?

(we went with the latter)

Tiny remake imminent?

Also having rock tiny turn into ice tiny and then turn into some other tiny is kind of funny. But having his hand out of ice, his body out of lava and his head out of rock would have looked worse.

aeolist

Banned
Good thing the rest of NaVis' games are pretty easy but it's gonna come down to the last few games and matchups for the last 3 spots. Alliance could actually drop out too I think

rox kis and cloud9 still have to play each other so there will be at least one more of the top teams getting 4 losses, at the very least they'll be tied for fourth it seems

either one of them could easily lose two of their upcoming games and be below alliance, na'vi might lose against sigma but i doubt it and the rest of their games look easy

M.D

god what the fuck is it with nyx players going dagon as their first major item all the freaking time like its written in the bible or some shit

Can anyone comment on the growth rates of this and LoL?
I'm always curious as to why people choose one over the other, and whether it's simply an apples and oranges kind of thing.
I know LoL has crazy viewership/participation (well they both do really but I meant in comparison to its competitors) but I'm interested in that's simply because Dota 2 is newer, and if its fanbase is growing fast(er).
For example, can we one day expect parity among number of users? Or is that unlikely?

For reference, I've dabbled in LoL, but I picked it simply because my friends were playing it. I'm going to give Dota a shot today actually, the grinding for characters aspect of LoL is annoying when you're a newb.

BeesEight

Do you actually understand what's been written so far? When have I ever accused her of being lazy? Is there any room for nuance at all?

She herself says she is in contact with Valve directly, they consult her and other specific contributors on how to break up constituent parts on prospective heroes. I have simply repeated that. She also acknowledges the fact there's an imbalance with her items compared to other creator.

So far, I've just repeated what she has already confirmed. The fact an item of hers hasn't got in doesn't negate the fact she now has a second crate along with a set approved in a very short amount of time. There's an imbalance and people want clarification.

You need to learn that by asking questions doesn't immediately mean there's an accusation of her being lazy or awful or whatever you seem to think is being implied.

You and your gang of strawmen need to sit down and have a cup of tea.

Do you actually understand what's being written so far? And people really should learn what informal fallacies mean before just throwing them out as if an off-handed reference suddenly makes the denunciation valid.

My point of contention has been and continues to be that people are creating spurious conclusions for actions by Valve because of their growing frustration with the workshop system. There's a couple of ways this discussion can unfold. People can take a combative, argumentative approach by pointing fingers and making wild accusations of favouritism or they can create constructive and rational suggestions and dialogue over the real pressing issues.

There is little evidence to suggest that people are not getting their items accepted through a combination of quality and community appeal. Does Valve make sporadic comments on some contributors work? Yes. But should this mean, as a community, we demand everyone's work receive equal attention? I argue that this is simply not feasible with the way Valve's business philosophy works. The cries for "equality" fundamentally suppose that either all contributors receive equal attention or equal neglect. If that is not the proposition, then it's a misdirected complaint at a more pressing issue that's being ignore.

As it stands now, I do not see there being an issue for Anuxi's set to get added to a second chest four days after being posted. You do. What are you proposed solutions? That artists shouldn't get their own chests? That items must sit on the workshop for a set amount of time before being added? That artists can't have additional chests until every other contributor gets one?

Those are questions being asked. The reddit thread offers no actual questions and it seems most people would rather make hopeless cries for "We need Valve to talk to us!" instead of trying to hold a constructive conversation. But if you disagree with this assertion, here is the link so you can peruse their responses at your convenience:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/22394t/つ_つ_giff_workshop_equality/

Acinixys

god what the fuck is it with nyx players going dagon as their first major item all the freaking time like its written in the bible or some shit

Trench mentality

Plus is a recommended item

Shitters always build recommended items regardless of actual usefulness

Vangaurd Razor/Doom
Dagon rush Nyx
etc

BeesEight, after all I've written, you still are creating strawmen and presenting false dilemmas.

So, my position is more than clear. I'll leave it that.

aeolist

Banned
I'm always curious as to why people choose one over the other, and whether it's simply an apples and oranges kind of thing.
I know LoL has crazy viewership/participation (well they both do really but I meant in comparison to its competitors) but I'm interested in that's simply because Dota 2 is newer, and if its fanbase is growing fast(er).
For example, can we one day expect parity among number of users? Or is that unlikely?

For reference, I've dabbled in LoL, but I picked it simply because my friends were playing it. I'm going to give Dota a shot today actually, the grinding for characters aspect of LoL is annoying when you're a newb.

lol has been around longer than dota 2 and is mechanically simpler which appeals to more people

i doubt dota 2 will ever reach lol numbers unless riot royally screws something up and alienates large portions of their fanbase and/or fucks over the competitive scene (which they control totally as opposed to valve)

they will both be big, healthy, and unbelievably profitable for the forseeable future

SamVimes

Unlikely that dota becomes as big as lol considering both communities are growing at a really fast rate. Also lol's tournament viewers numbers are not that impressive, lol majors numbers are bit higher than dota's while the playerbase is much larger. LoL pulls huge numbers on player streams whereas in dota only Dendi, Singsing and a russian streamer (can't remember the name, sorry) can pull high numbers and the first two rarely stream anymore.

Randdalf

Unlikely that dota becomes as big as lol considering both communities are growing at a really fast rate. Also lol's tournament viewers numbers are not that impressive, lol majors numbers are bit higher than dota's while the playerbase is much larger. LoL pulls huge numbers on player streams whereas in dota only Dendi, Singsing and a russian streamer (can't remember the name, sorry) can pull high numbers and the first two rarely stream anymore.

I think Arteezy pulls 10k from time to time

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Question. If you dominate/enchant/etc... a lane creep, can that creep singlehandidly remove backdoor protection?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

we're a dead game

SamVimes

I think Arteezy pulls 10k from time to time
Yeah that's true. Still, i believe Singsing gets 10k easily, Dendi gets 20k for his boringass stream in which he talks once in a blue moon and some lol players can pull 30k easily.
Question. If you dominate/enchant/etc... a lane creep, can that creep singlehandidly remove backdoor protection?

Not anymore. It was fixed some months ago because some people were stomping pubs buying necrobook and dominator on Nature's Prophet and teleporting at t3s at xx:28.

W1SSY

That did work but they may have patched it because Brax from LGD.int used it in a tournament game. He put a creep in the trees in the enemy base and was able to attack the base.

Thanks for the info guys.
I just find the thought process in choosing one over the other interesting and was curious as to the data behind the participation and viewership numbers.

Conceptor

Kirbz if you could shed a little more light on those Perfect World Roshans, that'd be great

because of reasons

and to further validate pro

KingKong

I can't tell if Fnatic are throwing this or if Empire are just that good. They already secured their spot so they dont even have anything to play for

ksan

What percentile is a 3500 MMR?

Extremely hard to extrapolate what percentile that is from any info we have.
For unranked, some time ago, we had:
Code:
 5% 1100
10% 1500
25% 2000
50% 2250
75% 2731
90% 3200
95% 3900
99% 4100
I'm not even sure the system is zero-sum, if the placement match boosts leads to a positive or negative bias, or how extensive the self-selection is in ranked.
But my guess would be somewhere from top 30% to 50%, based only on the self-selection.

The very high/high/normal brackets were removed before mmr right? I'm not even sure anymore.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
im dying for an sf remake, been crying everyday for the last year and a half since u promised it 2 me ballad

Top Bottom