• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Duesy

I don't understand something. Why is it is that people mostly only use use HotD creeps to stack ancients? I know if Akke is playing Chen then Loda will usually give him control of the helm creep but that's it. I don't think I've ever seen him or anyone else actually actively use their dominated creep in conjunction with their hero? Is it really more efficient to just use it to stack ancients than to have it in battle most of the time?

They die so easily its usually not worth it. If you aren't stacking you are losing out on 200+ gpm if you are really with it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't know these people.

Australia? So they learned on SEA, which means they must be passable.

shira

Hat talk definitely needs its own thread. Nothing more boring than having to skip over a ton of workshop/hat posts.

LoL CBSmatt and ongamers got banned from r/dota2

I guess reddit wins TI4

Darcy “Godot” Jose (Semi-Support)
tumblr_leuo6wlqMf1qcscch.gif

shira

holy crap I'm so pumped, Buying the hell out of that pack.

here here, this and the xboct pack are going in my rotation

Yeah I don't know, none of the Dota 2 mods have any issues with us. It's all out of the blue and we haven't been contacted by any one from Reddit about it.

one thing about neogaf, is that it is prolly the best moderated gaming board in the world.

Why did they ban them?
Not sure, I mean if people are enjoying our content then I don't see what the issue is.

Team Liquid, Gosugamers, Joindota etc are all posting their content.

I'm sure it's just some kind of misunderstanding. We have reached out to find the reasoning and will implement whatever changed is needed.

Just disappointed to lose my three year+ Reddit account with all that sweet
(useless)
karma.

shira

Not sure, I mean if people are enjoying our content then I don't see what the issue is.

I'm sure it's just some kind of misunderstanding. We have reached out to find the reasoning and will implement whatever changed is needed.

(useless)
karma.

http://www.reddit.com/user/cyborgmatt
ivUkpyHFWaVgB.png

RIP

Hylian7

That is ridiculous, hopefully they at least explain themselves.

Hat discussion doesn't need it's own thread. Those that are "tired of scrolling through workshop posts" can deal with it. There are workshop people on GAF and they make awesome work, they have every right to post it as well as people posting other people's workshop stuff. Hats are part of the game, and belong here.

On a random note, I tried Shadowplay's Twitch streaming last night briefly before I actually streamed for real. The verdict? Major downgrade. You're locked to 480p and 30FPS. Shadowplay does local recordings really well, but streaming isn't so hot. I'll be sticking to OBS for that unless it improves.

Also I think it's really weird that to do desktop recording mode you have to have Windows Aero on. Seriously wtf.

That is ridiculous, hopefully they at least explain themselves.

Hat discussion doesn't need it's own thread. Those that are "tired of scrolling through workshop posts" can deal with it. There are workshop people on GAF and they make awesome work, they have every right to post it as well as people posting other people's workshop stuff. Hats are part of the game, and belong here.

On a random note, I tried Shadowplay's Twitch streaming last night briefly before I actually streamed for real. The verdict? Major downgrade. You're locked to 480p and 30FPS. Shadowplay does local recordings really well, but streaming isn't so hot. I'll be sticking to OBS for that unless it improves.

Also I think it's really weird that to do desktop recording mode you have to have Windows Aero on. Seriously wtf.
Not sure what version you're on but Shadow Play supports up to 720p 60FPS @ 5 Mbps for Twitch streaming. It still needs a 1080p option though IMO.

zBrkwEQ.png

Yo Hylian, someone analyzed that Shadow Shaman match for you. It may be of some use to you as you work on improving play.

http://pastebin.com/JGLAbAVy

Not all flattering, as you can imagine.

(useless)
karma.

It's k. GAF is better anyways.

Weird they banned you (all) from reddit, there's not much on there anymore that's useful compared to a few years ago.

So valve is on their vacation now or what? Was hoping for a patch before DS2 came out but that doesn't look like it is going to happen.

BeesEight

Yo Hylian, someone analyzed that Shadow Shaman match for you. It may be of some use to you as you work on improving play.

This is some good information. It's really helpful Hylian gets all this commentary on his play. I didn't watch the game but gathering what I can from the comments, I'm curious what the proper response to this situation is.

So, you're playing a support and you've fed three kills in seven minutes to a tri-lane. I'm assuming the lane is lost and Hylian is woefully under leveled. What would be some better decisions once you start to fall behind on the support? Would it be better to just stick to your teammates and play passive? Should he try to find some catch-up farm in the jungle or another lane?

(I don't know the team composition but since it's a Shadow Shaman, getting that level six is pretty important. I know it's tricky when you're playing hard support that once you start falling behind it's really easy to stay behind. I'm guessing grabbing a smoke or two and hitting a lane hoping for a kill then transitioning into some tower pushes to apply pressure/generate some more gold for the team would be a better approach.)

Hylian7

Not sure what version you're on but Shadow Play supports up to 720p 60FPS @ 5 Mbps for Twitch streaming. It still needs a 1080p option though IMO.

zBrkwEQ.png

Derp, there it is. I thought it would be elsewhere and not right there. Still does need 1080p though.

It's k. GAF is better anyways.

I didn't expect it to be. I have to know, who is it? Gofu? 1.09?

also when you’re against a trilane...nukes are more important at level 1 than a disable...

I've always heard the exact opposite on this...

All in all fair criticisms.

Shaman dies b/c no BKB

Is he implying I should have gotten a BKB? I feel like that would have taken forever to farm.

Gofu

Banned
I thought it was a dual lane and took shackles first. Other reasons I took it first is because it is his best trilane spell. Shock isn't worth it for a trilane in my opinion, and hex is debatable, probably better in this situation, but I didn't think of that. Like others said, lack of experience on the hero. My winrate is like 2% with him if that is even mathematically possible.

I've always been told that putting a trilane against a solo Clockwerk is utterly pointless. What about shutting down the carry?

Every team needs a Mek and no one else was getting it so there was no real reason for me not to I felt like.

The Dagger I thought would help for some kind of initiation since I couldn't just walk into fights without getting killed first. Force Staff probably would have been better. I was always told Refresher > Scepter.

Real talk: LOL what advice? You and your troll squad with 1.09's advice is 95% "ur just bad" and 5% actual advice. I'm getting really tired of it honestly, and it certainly isn't helping. Of course I'm probably wasting my time saying anything about it because you are just going to post "kappa keepo copy pasterino" anyway.

That was why I picked him. And to be able to push towers.

He is melee. That would have probably ended worse.

See above about the Clockwerk thing.

Addressing what people said in general, I don't quite get why people are saying SS isn't a "real" support. He has always been a support to me that has the functionality of pushing towers. Not sure what you guys mean by "not a real support".

Any attempt to ward on almost any support usually feels like that one comic where the SS goes to ward, an Anti-Mage blinks in, Mantas, and SS chickens the real one as the illusions murder him. Just replace AM with Clockwerk.

I'm aware positioning and map awareness are key, as they are on any hero in the game. Those are just a whole different ball game on supports that I am so inexperienced at. The other reason I don't play support is I simply don't find it enjoyable at all.

About smoke ganking mid, I felt like I had a decent range disable with chicken/shackles. Unfortunately, the Invoker started running the opposite direction before the smoke even broke. He knew we were missing for a while, but didn't react by playing defensively until we were ready to approach.

kappa keepo copy pasterino

Haly

Oh yeah, regarding this:
I've always been told that putting a trilane against a solo Clockwerk is utterly pointless. What about shutting down the carry?
They had a Doom/Mirana/Kunkka trilane. They were shutting down their own carries perfectly fine without your help. It was obvious your trilane wasn't working out. Trilaning against Clock might've been "pointless", but is that really worse than feeding their carries? At least you might've been able to get some farm off of jungle while guaranteeing your BS more farm than he had since CW is kind of a bitch to lane against.

Hylian7

Edit: NVM different post

Oh yeah, regarding this:

They had a Doom/Mirana/Kunkka trilane. They were shutting down their own carries perfectly fine without needing your help. It was obvious your trilane wasn't working out. Trilaning against Clock might've been "pointless", but is that really worse than feeding their carries? At least you might've been able to get some farm off of jungle while guaranteeing your BS more farm than he had since CW is kind of a bitch to lane against.

True, it was just a concern to me at the time to have them pretty much freefarm against a solo. I didn't notice if any of them were playing the "supporting" carry, so they could have screwed themselves. I'm just paranoid about it because I've seen dual 1 trilanes come out farmed without being fed kills.

Haly

True, it was just a concern to me at the time to have them pretty much freefarm against a solo. I didn't notice if any of them were playing the "supporting" carry, so they could have screwed themselves. I'm just paranoid about it because I've seen dual 1 trilanes come out farmed without being fed kills.

The lesson to learn from the pastebin, if it is accurate, is that when you fail at doing something, you're supposed analyze why you failed and learn from it, not repeat it over and over again.

Your insistence on defending this tri is a good example of sticking to a bad idea just because you refuse to recognize alternatives. Going to bot lane and trying to score a kill against Mirana/Kunkka, a misplay you made twice. Once is forgivable, but twice? You should've been too scared shitless of Arrow/Torrent to try that again. Trying to gank Invoker, again, a bad idea you didn't learn from in future engagements vs Invoker. Overextending solo vs an aggressive Clockwerk, more bad ideas. Being too far in front despite having Blink, bad ideas.

Your problem, if your posting history is anything to judge by, is that you're not recognizing your mistakes, and if you are, you're not learning from them.

Hylian7

The lesson to learn from the pastebin, if it is accurate, is that when you fail at doing something, you're supposed analyze why you failed and learn from it, not repeat it over and over again.

Your insistence on defending this tri is a good example of sticking to a bad idea just because you refuse to recognize alternatives. Going back to bot lane and trying to score a kill against Mirana/Kunkka, a bad idea you made twice. Trying to smoke gank Invoker, again, a bad idea you didn't learn from. Overextending solo vs an aggressive Clockwerk, more bad ideas. Being too far out despite having Blink, bad ideas.

Your problem, if your posting history is anything to judge by, is that you're not recognizing your mistakes, and if you are, you're not learning from them.

I'm not defending the trilane...I was just saying I was concerned about whoever the "carrying carry" was freefarming.

Yes, I'm aware I made thos emistakes.

Quesa

Doesn't matter who it is, just take the criticism and do better next time.

It's kind of the opposite of constructive though. It just says "look at all the things you did wrong lol ur dumb" without only minor instances of "here's how you could have done better." Without watching the game, it's clear some instances were pretty obvious mistakes or whatnot, but while the criticisms are valid, it's a bad way deliver them. From the doc it seems he tried to play ShaSha as a mid (which is his area of expertise I would guess) and failed because he couldn't balance playing support with the sort intuitive playmaking that strong mids tend to have.

Hylian7

It's kind of the opposite of constructive though. It just says "look at all the things you did wrong lol ur dumb" without only minor instances of "here's how you could have done better." Without watching the game, it's clear some instances were pretty obvious mistakes or whatnot, but while the criticisms are valid, it's a bad way deliver them. From the doc it seems he tried to play ShaSha as a mid (which is his area of expertise I would guess) and failed because he couldn't balance playing support with the sort intuitive playmaking that strong mids tend to have.

No, support in a crappy trilane. The pastebin mentioned that.

Haly

The lessons there are the same lessons every player ever needs to learn.

1) Get better at judging when a kill is feasible and when you're likely to wind up feeding
2) Don't fight people way outleveled and outfarmed than you without proper support. Ties into 1), since it means you're not evaluating relative kill power correctly.
3) Don't overextend vs long-range initiators. Also ties into 1), because you're underestimating the kill power of certain heroes at certain points in the game.

This all just falls under "better game sense". You can't explain to someone how to get better game sense, they need to develop it for themselves.

Quesa

No, support in a crappy trilane. The pastebin mentioned that.
From the doc it says they were tri vs tri, and on every kill they say what lead to said death, be it poor positioning, decisionmaking or playstyle. From that doc i took away that he didn't position well at all, had no map awareness and didnn't know how to work with Blink SS. Those are some highlighted points that I took away from it.

Oh no that's not what I meant. I know it was a trilane. I'm saying your mindset might still be set to mid ie "aggressive playmaker" which may not have been right in this circumstance. And in the instances where I've had to teach people how to do something better cursing and their general tone are the opposite of productive to helping people see their mistakes more clearly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just realized I forgot to make it so my mic was being steamed after my BSOD. Oh well. Was fun.

Edit: Actually, I think I must of broken something after the first game. Whoops.

Demoli

From the doc it says they were tri vs tri, and on every kill they say what lead to said death, be it poor positioning, decisionmaking or playstyle. From that doc i took away that he didn't position well at all, had no map awareness and didnn't know how to work with Blink SS. Those are some highlighted points that I took away from it.

shira

8 days till starladder 9 LAN
16 days till dreamhack budapest LAN
32 days till TI4 online qualifiers start

WTF???

You know the more Dota I play the more I realise how little I know. I've logged close to 700 hours so far and I only just learned how good Leshrac is for pushing towers. This game man.

Kard8p3

You know the more Dota I play the more I realise how little I know. I've logged close to 700 hours so far and I only just learned how good Leshrac is for pushing towers. This game man.

Jesus christ I don't want to think about how bad I was at 700 hours.. not that I'm exceptional now, but I must have been some kind of retard then.

Top Bottom