• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Hylian7

hylian pls

if you keep asking for advice and then shut down the people giving advice, your not going to get advice anymore
I seriously do not see the point though. One of the first things in the Purge "Welcome to Dota You Suck" was to use your brain on the items rather than just buy what people tell you to.

Logically, I don't see a valid argument for Blink on these heroes unless game is really fucking weird, and if the game has gone there, then Blink Dagger AM is probably viable.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
You can just leave. Everyone is allowed to leave a game every now and then without any punishment.

I guess you're right, I never really think about it that way. I'm really averse to abandoning for any reason. Is there actually any definitive explanation of how often you can abandon without ending up in LP? I feel like the whole mechanism is so nebulous, and I hate to end up in LP for any reason, so I never do it at all.

Hylian7

I guess you're right, I never really think about it that way. I'm really averse to abandoning for any reason. Is there actually any definitive explanation of how often you can abandon without ending up in LP? I feel like the whole mechanism is so nebulous, and I hate to end up in LP for any reason, so I never do it at all.
You can look on the menu what the punishment will be for leaving. Usually leaving one ranked game will throw you in the LPQ trench though.

Razzer

Also, if you don't want to abandon you could just alt-tab. Let them fountain camp your motionless hero whilst you look on youtube or Gaf or some shit. They'll get bored.

rezuth

You forgot the delicious Italian dish Nyx makes called the Spike d'carapace.

Seriously though, I can understand that. I am trying to get better about clicking around the map more, I just always have this paranoia that something will happen the moment I take off the "tunnel vision" (like a fucking Mirana arrow out of nowhere, seriously, fuck that hero) which is why I have the bad habit of not doing that sometimes. On top of that you have stressful games that are already frustrating whether I am playing like shit for whatever reason, my teammates are, or we are against some straight up bullshit (TB + Ember = NOOOOPE).

This tunnel vision is the reason why you have shit happen to you. The more you start looking around the better awareness you get and the less you fuck up.

Blink Timber was pretty common even before the buff.

Medusa seems like she would benefit hugely from blink as well, although I guess you can't really get it since she needs seven items to be useful already.

Medusa needs other stuff and time before she can get into the game but don't you deny that blink+ulti on her is awesome :D

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Also, if you don't want to abandon you could just alt-tab. Let them fountain camp your motionless hero whilst you look on youtube or Gaf or some shit. They'll get bored.

If you do this for too long without exp you will get an abandon though won't you?

I seriously do not see the point though. One of the first things in the Purge "Welcome to Dota You Suck" was to use your brain on the items rather than just buy what people tell you to.

Logically, I don't see a valid argument for Blink on these heroes unless game is really fucking weird, and if the game has gone there, then Blink Dagger AM is probably viable.

You reference AM, but they were discussing blink sniper and blink drow.
I can see how blink would be viable on those heroes, especially if you rushed a MoM. Blink would just require faster reflexes and more prediction then SB, but you wouldn't have to worry about gem/dust/sentries making your escape worthless.

edit: a force staff could also be used for the positioning potential.

If they are fountain camping that hard would you get to the creeps anyway?

You're right. Hopefully the fountain camping doesn't last long enough for an abandon, but if all else fails sell everything and get a blink/BoT or something and go into the trees. edit: or smoke up and run to the trees.

Ultimatum

Banned
Exactly, then you shouldn't need a Blink Dagger.

blink lets you get into that perfect position you need, you can't always just walk there. drow is so squishy that survivability items aren't effective on her, so most (decent) players opt for positioning items instead (read: blink) which also have the benefit of being able to be used offensively

however if you don't understand or utilise positioning (which it sounds like you don't) then don't get blink and build shadow blade or whatever else is meta in your 1.2k mmr bracket (or you could listen and one day get 4k)

Simple logic is an attitude now?

you present an argument but don't listen to the counter, so shut the fuck up please

Hylian7

hylian you keep talking about logic but i dont think you know what that means
Blink Dagger on someone that:

-Has shit damage and needs that precious slot for a real item
-The biggest attack range in the game, allowing him plenty of time to adjust his position before something comes after him
-A way to gain vision from afar
-Now this leaves long-range spells, such as Pudge, Clockwerk, Invoker, Storm, and more. Blink isn't going to help with these as they can damage him without him seeing it coming

Why would you get Blink on this hero?

shira

however if you don't understand or utilise positioning (which it sounds like you don't) then don't get blink and build shadow blade or whatever else is meta in your 1.2k mmr bracket (or you could listen and one day get 4k)
tumblr_lyl9r2A3N21qkd8xuo1_400.gif

Hylian7

blink lets you get into that perfect position you need, you can't always just walk there. drow is so squishy that survivability items aren't effective on her, so most (decent) players opt for positioning items instead (read: blink) which also have the benefit of being able to be used offensively

you present an argument but don't listen to the counter, so shut the fuck up please
Actually I rarely ever build Shadow Blade anymore.

I did listen to the counter and do not agree. Like I said in the post above though. All the have to do is hit you once and you now have a 2150g paperweight. You can use it offensively, but since when should the carry be the first one in anyway? Your team should have real initiation.

Pratfall

Rubick is so much fun. Ice pathing a team, lifting their WD that just ulted, stealing death ward and plopping down one of your own is dota bliss. For all the people who hate supporting, try rubick and make plays, so much more fun than farming.

Meteorain

Man why are you guys trying to help Hylian? Especially in the face of having your advice dismissed.

Also do you want to lose such a great source of amusement to watch him endlessly slide down that MMR scale kicking and screaming?

Hylian7

Man why are you guys trying to help Hylian? Especially in the face of having your advice dismissed.

Also do you want to lose such a great source of amusement to watch him endlessly slide down that MMR scale kicking and screaming?
I am questioning something that still makes no sense and that makes me "dismissing" them?

Blink Dagger on someone that:

-Has shit damage and needs that precious slot for a real item Bro you ain't six slotted at 20 mins
-The biggest attack range in the game, allowing him plenty of time to adjust his position before something comes after him So make it even bigger
-A way to gain vision from afar okay?
-Now this leaves long-range spells, such as Pudge, Clockwerk, Invoker, Storm, and more. Blink isn't going to help with these as they can damage him without him seeing it coming Get wards, have better reaction, or... still die to them with your not awesome mana free traversal item? It only has benefits.

Why would you get Blink on this hero?
I am questioning something that still makes no sense and that makes me "dismissing" them?

It makes plenty of sense and people have told you why. You're either not paying attention, intentionally ignoring it, or being really thick.

Hellish

I don't post often here because of poor experiences with the IH's flame but Hylian blink is really strong on sniper/drow as well as many other heroes, its almost never bad especially if the game will end before you are 6 slotted. You use it to stay away in fights, chase solo heroes escaping or insane split push (more so drow, you just blink to the tree's at any sign or thought of anyone). I have noticed myself building it in more and more situations and on different heroes and finding success with it. I have single handedly won a Drow game because of blink dagger and split pushing when the opposing team all had way's of closing the gap. (PA, QOP, Blink SK, Blink SS, WR). Sometimes you need it just to counter the opposing teams blinks so you can re-create the gap. I have also climbed fairly well out of what most people consider "Elo Hell" but tbh the hell never stops and the retards just keep coming (Like my last ranked game a guy insta locks DK after the draft and skills stun @1). I calibrated at 3887 and then went down to somewhere mid 3600's and then made it up to 4901 and currently I am sitting at 4780. I am fairly certain I can crack leader boards as well I just have to stop tilting when I notice an insanely bad player on my team, as when I do I play worse even down to mechanics like last hitting.

Hylian7

So you would buy a 2150g item with the intention of selling it for something else?

The larger range benefit is obviously awesome, but the price of entry delays your other items. I feel like the disadvantages outweigh the advantages here

Edit: And I see why, it just didn't make enough sense to drop 2150g on when you need other things.

So you would buy a 2150g item with the intention of selling it for something else?

The larger range benefit is obviously awesome, but the price of entry delays your other items. I feel like the disadvantages outweigh the advantages here
The game is probably over before you need to. If it goes late and you're drowning in gold sure whatever sell it.

It makes up for its cost by all the kills you'll get with it and all the deaths you'll avoid. It's not just wasted gold delaying your other items.

Edit: And I see why, it just didn't make enough sense to drop 2150g on when you need other things.

People do that with drums when it gets to late game.

Meteorain

It doesn't matter how your gun is if you can't hit anyone with it.

Sometimes pure carry dmg has to be substituted with utility, and the blink dagger provides it in situations. Being flexible and adaptable is what makes one player better than most.

Yes, your team should have an initiator to help you, but at times it's just not happening, and therefore have to help yourself instead of decrying that your teammates are shit. Blink Dagger is one of those items that helps get shit done.

People have already pointed out how and why, but you refuse to even try it out, and I don't mean doing it once, still losing that then claiming it doesn't work.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You could always play an Unranked game and see if it works, go like MoM, Maelstrom, and then Blink and give people the Sniperino.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well yeah, once you get like 3 or 4 other big items and it is like 45+ minutes in, you can sell it, just like people normally do with midas and shadow blade. Hopefully you were able to get some value out of it.

Kreunt

Banned

it seems like 2 abandons within a few days will get you into low prio.
i straight up rage quit a game today and got put into it for 3 games, i only had one other abandon a few days ago from my net playing up.

and on the subject of low prio, it was pretty funny, everyone was blaming everyone else for everything, raging constantly, spouting racist shit in every argument, it was like being back in HoN pub games.

Madouu

oh what a throw from Fnatic

Not really a throw, just how the lineups worked. Era died too much in failed nyx ganks, and the shitty lich bounces when empire smoke ganked n0tail/fly sealed the deal. Not to mention Bat and SD great to disrupt fnatic init and lock down lifestealer + empire had great roshan scouting capabilities with visage birds, batrider and sunstrike.

Hylian7

It doesn't matter how your gun is if you can't hit anyone with it.

Sometimes pure carry dmg has to be substituted with utility, and the blink dagger provides it in situations.

Yes, your team should have an initiator to help you, but at times it's just not happening, and therefore have to help yourself instead of decrying that your teammates are shit. Blink Dagger is one of those items that helps get shit done.

People have already pointed out how and why, but you refuse to even try it out, and I don't mean doing it once, still losing that then claiming it doesn't work.

I'll give it a try but I do not expect it to be much different than going for real items.

You have a team for a reason. You can't just decide to try to do everything because your team doesn't have a Tidehunter or something. I understand the logic of "the game will be over by then", but what if it's not? What if something goes wrong for whatever reason and now you are 1075g away from a real item because you bought a Blink Dagger?

You could always play an Unranked game and see if it works, go like MoM and then Blink and give people the Sniperino.
I'll probably try that for shits and giggles.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
if your playing a pub and your not grouped with people/friends, chances are your team doesn't give a shit about you. instead you have to figure out how to succeed without relying on them.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
sigma.. dog? 7ckingmad kicked from his own team?
It feels like fata decided to up and leave his team. I don't know, whole thing is weird.

Edit: ok, they decided that instead of calling them team dog, it would be "sigma" with 3 stand ins. Likely has something to do with one of sigma's contracts

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What is going on? I just tuned into WPC and Sigma is half there instead of Dog? Are Dog Sigma now?

Hylian7

if your playing a pub and your not grouped with people/friends, chances are your team doesn't give a shit about you. instead you have to figure out how to succeed without relying on them.
So then it boils down to "Pubs don't have team play so buy a Blink?" I feel like that is something that could be solved by communicating with your team...

So then it boils down to "Pubs don't have team play so buy a Blink?" I feel like that is something that could be solved by communicating with your team...
ill quote this post next time you complain about your team not working together

should have just communicated man!

Hylian7

ill quote this post next time you complain about your team not working together

should have just communicated man!
Sure, you have people you can't communicate with sometimes. Does that really mean you should just assclown your way to victory because your team is unreliable? I feel like that is the logic people that lock in another safe lane carry when you already have one saying "I don't trust pubs to carry" use.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If you watch the Na'vi Alliance XMG game, you can see how good blink was on Dendi's Sniper. It gave him the ability to chase heroes that would have normally just ran away safely, let him reposition himself so he wasn't shooting uphill and let him use his MoM safely in teamfights.

Fear called them Dogma.

They are playing like shit

patapuf

You really, don't see how a sniper or a drow ranger would need quick repositioning after an initiation or to counter-initiate in a teamfight? Not everything always goes smoothly, or as planned.

These heroes are glass cannons, being at the right place at the right time is the most important aspect of those heroes. If you are off position you are either useless or dead.

Blink is cheaper than a shadow blade and much better at it to bring damage to the teamfight.

I mean, it's not like it's not proven to be viable, there's plenty of pro games in which they are built on those heroes, and to great effect. If the best players in the world do it in important matches, that should indicate that the item is probably not just a paperweight.

Hylian7

If you watch the Na'vi Alliance XMG game, you can see how good blink was on Dendi's Sniper. It gave him the ability to chase heroes that would have normally just ran away safely, let him reposition himself so he wasn't shooting uphill and let him use his MoM safely in teamfights.

They are playing like shit
How much is the ticket? I might do that and watch this.

Top Bottom