• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Lets go empire. I want empire and dog on top of the dota scene

ibr59lXpKZf6yj.gif

Hylian7

Radiance does 3 things for Spcectre:

1) Increases overall DPS. 65 damage from the item and 37.5 DPS from the burn.
2) Improve farming. You can farm waves and jungle much faster with a Radiance than any other item. Considering Spectre is the master of afk farming (being able to join a team fight from anywhere on the map), Radiance sends Spectre's farming ability through the roof.
3) Improves sniping. One of the weaknesses of Haunt is that your illusions are pretty slow, and they're held back by both movespeed and attack rate. Radiance solves them both by constantly burning their target on top of whatever hits they score. At level 1, it lasts 5 seconds, which translates to 187 guaranteed damage from the burn. Warping in and using dagger is another 150 damage, so in total that's 337 guaranteed damage with minimal effort.

Diffusal on Spectre, while good, is more gank oriented. If you're playing Spectre as a super hard carry, you don't want to waste time running around the map chasing down single targets. Often, you can get just as much if not more gold from farming one or two more waves in the time it takes you to dive someone and then return to base to heal. With Radiance, you can snipe kills without having to Reality to your illusions at all, because Radiance does more damage than a single dagger.

But you and everyone in here has always said radiance is generally a crap item and should only be bought if you can get it quickly, like before 20 minutes. If things are rough at all in your lane (which often happens to a Spectra), should you still get it?

Mordeccai

Just crossed the 1000 hour mark in doto according to steam.

What is my life. Feel like I should treat myself by buying a key for a chest or a set on the store. Donno if anything even looks appealing tho.

But you and everyone in here has always said radiance is generally a crap item and should only be bought if you can get it quickly, like before 20 minutes. If things are rough at all in your lane (which often happens to a Spectra), should you still get it?

I'm guessing if things are rough in your lane, chances are you won't have space to farm, which means you have to contribute earlier to team fighting. In that case I would think trying to save up for a radiance would not be a good idea as opposed to getting cheaper items that would give you stat gain early on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But you and everyone in here has always said radiance is generally a crap item and should only be bought if you can get it quickly, like before 20 minutes.
Yes, but only in a vacuum and not in specific builds. For example, for Illusionists (TB, Naga, PL, Spectre). Radiance is far more effective than many other items because of the damage projection it enables.

If things are rough at all in your lane (which often happens to a Spectra), should you still get it?
There are no hard and fast rules here. You will have to make the judgment call whether to keep pushing for the Radiance or "settle" for a Diffusal. A good question to ask yourself is:

"Are we still in the game? Can we hold out until I go 'online' with my Radiance?"

If the answer to that is "yes", then you should keep pushing for Radiance. If the answer to that is "no", then you should go Diffusal.

Just because you had a hard time in the lane doesn't necessarily mean your team is being crushed and they need you to bail them out. There's an equilibrium effect in DOTA2 where if one of your lanes is being pressured, then another lane is not getting pressured and should therefore be pulling ahead to balance things out. For example, if the enemy Pudge is going around getting ganks, then the SF that's afk farming mid should be able to complete a core item (Sblade, Blink, BKB) soon and set themselves up to turn the tides. If there's a trilane suppressing your carry, then they're lowering their own EXP rate and leaving their solo/mid open to ganks. Identifying when the equilibrium is being maintained, if lopsided, and when your team needs you because they are actually losing on all fronts is the key to answering the question: "Hold out for Radiance or build Diffusal?"

I got muted, and I never went off on anyone with personal attacks. I guess people reported me when I used my microphone for the first time and got silly with a stream of consciousness commentary, but they didn't complain at the time.

It's just so frustrating that I can't make doom understand that he needs to get back cause mirana is clearly on the minimap and is about to kill him with the ezest arrow ever.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
That was intense. C9 probably would have won if they had been able to get more towers faster. Empire was in high ground earlier while C9 hadn't even taken t1 mid or top.

ksan

one reason why mm sucks (generally in all games)

there's never a reason to be happy as a team with your loss
it's supposed to match even teams, so the reason you lose is because you're playing worse, just this game, than the opposite team, even though you should be as good as them

that's why inhouse leagues/praccs/pcws/scrims/etc can be a lot more fun at times, you could play a way better team but overperform, and it was fine to think that you played well even though you lost

#deepthoughts

Turok_TTZ

I wonder if I play a shit Bounty Hunter or not. Had a game today but I feel I could have done more or done better. Sometimes I overextended and sometimes I just get "lost" in the middle of a teamfight or gank. I killed a lot but some deaths were very easily avoidable.

also played ability draft for the first time..... my inexperience shows in that one.

meh. my match id for my bh game today is 605443180.
If anyone is kind enough to point out any flaws in my game, I would very much appreciate it.

Also I would like to mention I usually play bots. today was the first time in a while that I played online. Personally, I just think I got lucky because the other team did not buy dust or wards. the bots that I play offline do a better job in having detect items at hand imo than the team I played.

manfestival

one reason why mm sucks (generally in all games)

there's never a reason to be happy as a team with your loss
it's supposed to match even teams, so the reason you lose is because you're playing worse, just this game, than the opposite team, even though you should be as good as them

that's why inhouse leagues/praccs/pcws/scrims/etc can be a lot more fun at times, you could play a way better team but overperform, and it was fine to think that you played well even though you lost

#deepthoughts

I agree with this actually. I remember the ranking system being much more gratifying. Also it helps that longer games will grant more points instead of a static 25 for loss and win. Getting beat down in 9 minutes gives far less points than a late game slug fest between two teams where both teams win more/lose more fairly

Some games are genuinely fun despite win/lose.

haly please, dota 2 is never fun... Kappa

ksan

Some games are genuinely fun despite win/lose.

Yeah, that's actually true. Some games are fun despite win/loss, but it's not really the same thing, it's usually cause it's crazy or some shit like that. It's a lot more uncommon that you're happy with your team's performance when you lose.
haly please, dota 2 is never fun... Kappa

Ok, that's actually even more true.
not really

Top Bottom