• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There needs to be a reminder before every single match below mmr 3000:

"You win this game by taking down the ancient, not by having the most kills."

Jesus.

I didn't even realize Starladder was still going on. Or is this a different Starladder?

This seems like a problem.

Starladder seems to be running a new strategy of having their next tournament start the second the last one ends, honestly it really kills interest in it

Hylian7

There needs to be a reminder before every single match below mmr 3000:

"You win this game by taking down the ancient, not by having the most kills."

Jesus.
If a Pudge is on other team, add "Fountain hooks still work if Pudge was originally standing in the fountain."

I know I've come back as Pudge in a couple of games because the other team fountain camped and met the business end of my Dragonclaw.

Sianos

Power Treads should be the core boots of choice on Medusa.

Treads give her some more early tank, attack speed that stacks fully with Split Shot as opposed to damage which only stacks 80%, and the ability to double tread swap Mystic Snake so you maximize the mana returned and use it very frequently with net returns of mana.

Especially useful if the enemy is running an aggressive trilane and isn't getting the hint from the constant barrage of snakes.

Treads give her some more early tank, attack speed that stacks fully with Split Shot as opposed to damage which only stacks 80%, and the ability to double tread swap Mystic Snake so you maximize the mana returned and use it very frequently with net returns of mana.

Especially useful if the enemy is running an aggressive trilane and isn't getting the hint from the constant barrage of snakes.

Counterpoint: Phase boots allow you to effectively chase, escape and move through the jungle/lanes quickly when farming, which Medusa can't do with just treads.

As a Medusa player, what I can definitively tell you is that it all depends on the game and what you need to be able to to do for the first 20 minutes. After that it really doesn't matter much which boots you bought.

Sianos

Counterpoint: Phase boots allow you to effectively chase, escape and move through the jungle/lanes when farming, which Medusa can't do with just treads.

As a Medusa player, what I can definitively tell you is that it all depends on the game and what you need to be able to to do for the first 20 minutes. After that it really doesn't matter much which boots you bought.

That is a good point, I've just found it more often then not Treads have been very effective and I almost always see Phase Boots even when they might not be the best choice.

For Medusa I see Phase as more situational, good if you're doing a lot of early chasing or escaping as you said or if you're up against a solo laner. Still good, but not my first choice.

sixghost

I'm no Medusa expert, but this is why I build treads every game on her. I feel like I'm cheating the system when I tread swap during snake.

TUSR

Banned
Tread switching during skills is above my head (scrub tier 3k mmr here), so can you explain how this works?

HP and Mana are based on the % you have.

If you swap to int boots before casting, you will remain at the same % mana but you will have more mana. Thus, its like less of a % impact on your pool since its now larger.

So you cast mystic snake with int boots on, then you swap to either str or agi, and when the snake returns it fills up a fixed amount of mana based on targets hit. If you have less int it will fill up the total % mana you have more.

Edit: Shitty explanation, heres a guide I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFi7xbIY6dk

Wth there are people that build phase on her? Treads just make so much sense with her. Stats work amazing on her, tread switching with mystic snake is great and she benefits from the attack speed too. Never build anything else on her.

KScorp

Tread switching during skills is above my head (scrub tier 3k mmr here), so can you explain how this works?

1) Cast snake while in INT mode.
2) Switch away from INT mode.
3) Snake comes back and gives you mana.

Casting skills while in INT mode uses up a smaller percentage of your mana pool, and when you tread switch your percentages remain the same. So you're effectively using less mana by casting while in INT mode.

Likewise, regaining mana while NOT in INT mode gives you a larger percentage of your mana pool, because your max mana is smaller, effectively gaining more mana while not in INT mode.

Medusa's mystic snake is one of the few skills (if not the only skill?) which benefits from both using INT treads to spend less mana, and using non-INT treads to gain more mana.

Razzer

Universe stream so chill right now.

CBB04C1DC0D18B940E118D3131C6491C87F638C8

Edit Oh, for whoever was asking about Slark, I totally forgot about Orchid. It's good at times.

antigoon

What's the best way to play Necro? I've had some success mid doing a treads/wand/mek/heart build, but have also won some games with phase/wand/dagon/blink. At the same time, I see a lot of the highest rated Necro players on dotabuff build bloodstone and euls.

bounchfx

can i just say

terrorblade is fucking ridiculous

if he gets any amount of farm at all you might as well just call gg. fffffffffffff

Chris R

Doctors orders, no Doto for the next two weeks ;_;

Apparently high stress video games aren't good for my high blood pressure.

RS4-

1) Cast snake while in INT mode.
2) Switch away from INT mode.
3) Snake comes back and gives you mana.

Casting skills while in INT mode uses up a smaller percentage of your mana pool, and when you tread switch your percentages remain the same. So you're effectively using less mana by casting while in INT mode.

Likewise, regaining mana while NOT in INT mode gives you a larger percentage of your mana pool, because your max mana is smaller, effectively gaining more mana while not in INT mode.

Medusa's mystic snake is one of the few skills (if not the only skill?) which benefits from both using INT treads to spend less mana, and using non-INT treads to gain more mana.

The only other person I double tread switch with, is Necro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom