• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRAGON QUEST III HD-2D Remake – New Gameplay trailer Featuring Classes / Battles etc

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The Legacy Begins.

The beloved and timeless classic DRAGON QUEST III HD-2D Remake is reborn in a stunning new graphical style!Set out on an epic adventure to save the world from the villainous Archfiend in this modern remake of the legendary RPG.Coming to Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X/S, Steam® and Windows on November 14, 2024.

*Steam® version releases on November 15, 2024.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Game looks gorgeous, and while this combat system might not be as good as Octopath, it should still be fun enough with these jobs.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
God we getting some great JRPG back to back.
giphy.gif

Comandr

God, the bloom.
sSdRtYu.jpeg

It's not 2006 anymore, SE. Stop adding 3D post processing effects to 2D sprites, it looks awful. This is what killed Star Ocean 2 R for me. There is so much bloom, it is genuinely difficult to make out the king's face.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
It's not 2006 anymore, SE. Stop adding 3D post processing effects to 2D sprites, it looks awful. This is what killed Star Ocean 2 R for me. There is so much bloom, it is genuinely difficult to make out the king's face.
That's that HD-2D secret sauce lol. It works with the art direction of Octopath, but adding it to everything is what;s going to make it get old fast. Triangle Strategy mostly avoided it.

Comandr

That's that HD-2D secret sauce lol. It works with the art direction of Octopath, but adding it to everything is what;s going to make it get old fast. Triangle Strategy mostly avoided it.
It frustrates me to no end to celebrate these beautiful sprite based games by "remaking" them and then covering it all up with awful post processing. I said it before - and I'll say it again. If you're going to go that route, do the DQ9 thing and do chunky, low poly models.
dragonquest02.jpg

Fv1Y7Fn.png

They upscale really well, and still tickle a particular nostalgia vibe.

Then go ahead and go apeshit with your post processing.

Exentryk

It frustrates me to no end to celebrate these beautiful sprite based games by "remaking" them and then covering it all up with awful post processing. I said it before - and I'll say it again. If you're going to go that route, do the DQ9 thing and do chunky, low poly models.
dragonquest02.jpg

Fv1Y7Fn.png

They upscale really well, and still tickle a particular nostalgia vibe.

Then go ahead and go apeshit with your post processing.
Nah, the HD-2D models looks heaps better than your images

.Xeno

Neo Member
God, the bloom.
sSdRtYu.jpeg

There needs to be a toggle for that bloom its a joke. Hopefully there is one on PC, probably not for consoles.

Comandr

Nah, the HD-2D models looks heaps better than your images
Well sure. DQ3HD2D is a brand new game with a minimum requirement of a 2-ish teraflop video card. My example shots came from a 14 year old game from a system with a 67Mhz processor and 4 megabytes of ram. I'm sure if an entire production team put years of time and effort into my suggestion, it would be praised as well.

I don't dislike HD-2D. I love sprite based games. And Dragon Quest is probably my favorite JRPG series. I wish we had more of them. But mixing modern graphics techniques with sprite based art doesn't work well, particularly when it obscures the one thing you are trying to show off. The 2D. All I'm asking for is for Square to exercise some restraint. I appreciate the folly in that, though.

Last edited:

Myths

Looks good, but it feels like it took them nearly as long to develop this compared to FF16. Is this why they won’t do 2D remakes? 😵‍💫

Go_Ly_Dow

Soundtrack and art design is top notch. Day 1.

For those of you who have yet to try it, check out Star Ocean 2 HD-2D.

Top Bottom