• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driv3r claims more countries!

Next they need to tell us how it's doing in Brazil, the Sudan, Russia, India, and Antartica.

July 02, 2004 08:00 AM US Eastern Timezone

DRIV3R is #1 in France and Germany

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 2, 2004--Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR) announced today that DRIV3R has topped the charts in both France and Germany, ranking #1 in both territories. (Source: GFK France, and Media Control)

In its first week at retail (ended June 27),
DRIVER is ranked #1 on PlayStation2 and #1 on Xbox
in both France and Germany.

Developed by Atari's Reflections Interactive, DRIV3R is the third installment of the hugely successful Driver franchise, which has sold in excess of 12 million units worldwide to date. DRIV3R is currently available for the PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox(TM) video game system from Microsoft,

Alcibiades

this is obviously propaganda since it's only been out for like a week, I'm sure many major releases find themselves at #1 in many countries for a few days...

edit: not that it changes how I feel, but I just took a half second look at the post and thought Atari was bragging about sales in Brazil and South America, and I was thinking "wow, they are really milking this good news", but I guess Germany and France are pretty big markets... hopefully the word will get out...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
But really... has another game that has been getting such crap ass reviews from almost all major publications ever sold this well?

Blackace said:
But really... has another game that has been getting such crap ass reviews from almost all major publications ever sold this well?

Enter the Matrix recently did it. Strangely enough, the publisher was also Atari.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
SolidSnakex said:
Enter the Matrix recently did it. Strangely enough, the publisher was also Atari.

Ahhhh your right.... but at least Matrix had a huge following from the movies... I know people like Driver and Driver 2... but... wow is reallly all I can say..

Well I think both Driver and Driver 2 sold around 10 million each. So they had a huge following. They're expecting it to sell that much with Driver 3, I don't think it will but it should do atleast half. Alot of people i've read have actually been enjoying it just because all they expected was Driver and that's basically what it is.

Atari's put together a top notch marketing campaign for this game though. It gives alot of developers a good idea of actually how to market games. You don't need actual people in the commercial, just show the game that's what people care about. I think that commercial will push the game alot because it makes the game look extremely good.

SolidSnakex said:
Well I think both Driver and Driver 2 sold around 10 million each. So they had a huge following.

10 million each would put it in rarified company

"DRIV3R is the third installment of the hugely successful Driver franchise, which has sold in excess of 12 million units worldwide to date."

The first one was great, the second was a buggy expansion and the 3rd sucks.

I don't know about the Gameboy versions, beyond the fact that it sold well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can't wait until Spider-Man 2 wipes DRIV3R off the map in July.

Dujour

Banned
hah, I love the thread title. It sounds like what it is, a virus that people are taking a liking to. It's the new aids folks and it's 1985 all over again.

evil ways

Weren't some Atari people caught running damage control on the official message board under supposed "average gamer" aliases?

I don't remember where I read that but I thought it was hilarious.

Top Bottom