• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Breaks Record - Fastest Console Ever to Sell 10 Million in Japan

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Whew. And here I thought Sony was gonna announce that they were the fastest to ship 10 million systems in such a time-span!

Barry Lightning said:
yea, but it's like...$100 or something.

yea consoles are expensive compared to handhelds. If PS2 launched with a price tag of $150 it would have done 10 million in no time...

Dalthien

Wow - people are actually trying to downplay this news?

Whether you love, hate, or couldn't care less about the DS, there is no way to deny that this an absolutely amazing accomplishment.

I mean, they sold 10 million DS units in a little more than 1.5 years in Japan! Its unprecedented.

neptunes

Doom_Bringer said:
yea consoles are expensive compared to handhelds. If PS2 launched with a price tag of $150 it would have done 10 million in no time...
but the gba was even cheaper, was it not?

Being the fastest selling handheld/console ever in japan? pretty impressive i'd say.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Extremely impressive. DS is a cultural phenomenon there. I hope they bring out some of the software that is in Japan only right now...I want that cookbook...

HomShaBom

Banned
Dalthien said:

Whether you love, hate, or couldn't care less about the DS, there is no way to deny that this an absolutely amazing accomplishment.

I mean, they sold 10 million DS units in a little more than 1.5 years in Japan! Its unprecedented.

GateKeepers doing damage control. =(

Dalthien said:

Fastest Console Ever to Sell 10 Million in Japan

if you would said handheld then no one would downplay anything but the fact is that DS is not a console it retails at a price significantly lower compared to the price of a console at launch

cvxfreak

According to the article, the Shinbum reports that "about" ten games went platinum+.

1. ANIMAL CROSSING WILD WORLD
2. MORE BRAIN AGE
3. BRAIN AGE
4. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS.
5. MARIO KART DS
6. BIG BRAIN ACADEMY
7. ENGLISH TRAINING DS
8. NINTENDOGS
9. TAMAGOTCHI CONNECTION: CORNER SHOP
10. WARIO WARE TOUCHED

Doom_Bringer said:

if you would said handheld then no one would downplay anything but the fact is that DS is not a console it retails at a price significantly lower compared to the price of a console at launch
Dude what the ****?

Doom_Bringer said:

Yeah, buts its ****ing ruining everything else sales wise, including other Nintendo handhelds, price be damned.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
cvxfreak said:
2. MORE BRAIN AGE
3. BRAIN AGE
4. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS.
5. MARIO KART DS
6. BIG BRAIN ACADEMY
7. ENGLISH TRAINING DS
8. NINTENDOGS
10. WARIO WARE TOUCHED

Now release a Plays Choice range and your'll control the world Nintendo huhahaha :lol

Dalthien

Doom_Bringer said:

Well, I was trying to report the news story - which directly referred to it as the fastest selling game console in Japanese history.

And price is proportional to the hardware. If the PS2 would have launched at the price of the DS, then it would have been seriously downgraded from what it ended up being, and it actually probably would not have sold nearly as well as you believe in that gimped state.

Plus, I happen to agree with the news story. It is a portable console. It is a game console to be played on-the-go as opposed to being attached to a tv or monitor. But it is still a game console.

Doom_Bringer said:
shit forgot I was dealing with sensitive nfans…carry on!! DS IS A CONSOLE!! HURRAY FOR SALE FIGURES
Wait a second. You're the one who started the comparisons to the ps2 in the first place.

Andy787

Banned
Dalthien said:

Agreed. They sold a whole bunch of systems. Which is awesome.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Billy Rygar said:
Yeah, buts its ****ing ruining everything else, including other Nintendo handhelds, price be damned.

But mummy!

Waambulance.jpg

How can anybody possibly contest the fact that the DS is a console? It's a handheld game console. "Handheld" and "portable" are adjectives, they're not nouns in their own right, we just use them to abbreviate "handheld console" or "portable console."

scarybore

Dalthien said:
Plus, I happen to agree with the news story. It is a portable console. It is a game console to be played on-the-go as opposed to being attached to a tv or monitor. But it is still a game console.

QFT! Never understood why people get so uptight about calling them consoles, they are just portable.

Good numbers for Nintendo anyways and they deserve it with the DS imo, I would guess this also means nearly one third of all JP DS owners have a copy of Animal Crossing which to me is a damn scary thought.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
Good for Nintendo. They've done an outstanding job with the DS and one can only hope that that will translate into them doing as good a job (if not better) with the Wii.

Chris Remo said:
How can anybody possibly contest the fact that the DS is a console? It's a handheld game console. "Handheld" and "portable" are adjectives, they're not nouns in their own right, we just use them to abbreviate "handheld console" or "portable console."

Relax.

Mau ®

Congrats to Nintendo. Who would've thought the DS would achieve such feat 2 years ago. I didn't at least.

Mejilan

inthezone said:
I didn't at least.

I gotta admit, as much as I was personally excited for the new potential gameplay made possible by the DS 2 years ago, things were looking kinda grim for awhile. Hell, for the first 6 months or so (at least), the DS was little better than a GBA with a slightly better screen (barring a couple cool games here and there)!

gjb-sensei

inthezone said:
Congrats to Nintendo. Who would've thought the DS would achieve such feat 2 years ago. I didn't at least.

Everyone (except me) thought the thing was the next Virtual Boy, not a platform that could eclipse the Game Boy.

Mejilan

gjb-sensei said:
Everyone (except me) thought the thing was the next Virtual Boy, not a platform that could eclipse the Game Boy.

Exactly. I didn't expect it to fail, but I really thought it'd be the third pillar after the GBA and GCN, or at least the second, after the GBA.

heavenly

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
my NTDOY stock did very well thank you!

I bought 7500 shares at around 11 bux a year ago and just unloaded for about 24

props to me

So you made about a 100K profit? Where did you get that $$ to buy so many shares?

gjb-sensei

Mejilan said:
Exactly. I didn't expect it to fail, but I really thought it'd be the third pillar after the GBA and GCN, or at least the second, after the GBA.

Actually, I, too, thought it would be a "third pillar". I thought by now we'd have heard word (maybe even seen images) of a new Game Boy (a truly new one, not some Micro stuff), but we haven't yet. It's really amazing how well the DS has done.

Dalthien

cvxfreak said:
According to the article, the Shinbum reports that "about" ten games went platinum+.

2. MORE BRAIN AGE
3. BRAIN AGE
4. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS.
5. MARIO KART DS
6. BIG BRAIN ACADEMY
7. ENGLISH TRAINING DS
8. NINTENDOGS
10. WARIO WARE TOUCHED
Yeah - Wario Ware has to be getting awfully close by now.

Dalthien

gjb-sensei said:
According to this thread, WarioWare has sold 901,208 units.
That's Media Create. Famitsu has it a fair bit higher than Media Create. Either way, both Wario Ware and Super Mario 64 DS should cross the million mark. They've still been selling 10-20k per month according to Famitsu.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Andy787 said:
So guys how are your Nintendo stocks?

Does posting news bother you much?

Er...this goes a bit beyond just pricing. As the GC proved, low pricing won't matter for shit if no one gives a damn about your product.

By the by, as someone mentioned GBA was much even cheaper ($50 less) and DS still outpaced it.

Top Bottom