• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS : hands on opinion needed.

I have ONE concern about the DS and its this.

how does the device play when you have to use the stylus + hold the portable + play games. I reckon it can get unweildably and funny if you need to grapple it all the time. Not too sure about having to place it on my knee + lap etc to play a game? Anyone has comments on their experiences so far? I know for standard D-pad + button games it will be okay but

stylus + button face + holding + dpad?

Rahul

It's designed so that you don't have to dpad + buttons while using the stylus. The idea is that they're interchangeable for left/right-handed people. No game developer in his right mind would design a game that no one can play unless they have three arms.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Well, the game requiring the most player input so far seems to be Metroid Prime: Hunters, and I've not heard any significant complaints about holding the unit, pressing the d-pad (movement), and hitting the L-trigger (fire) with one hand while using the stylus (looking around and jumping) with the other.

As Rahul said, I suspect that's probably the most juggling you'll ever be required to do -- a game isn't going to ask you to use the stylus, d-pad and face buttons at the same time. That isn't even possible.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
IGN has very nice hands-on impressions. Basically, it feels fine when you hold it with both hands, but considering that it's 270g heavy and off balance, you should expect some hand strain when holding it only with one hand if you use stylus. Or just put it in your lap or on the desk.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Gabe (Penny-Arcade) says you can hook a left finger under the system (assuming you're right handed) and use the stylus still, which seems to balance it out.

Lots of games don't require extensive stylus and D pad/buttons usage, so those are obviously fine, but you might find it a bit rricky with those that do.

Personally, I play handheld system sitting down anyway, so I don't care. The only time I can think of for myself where I might want to use it standing up would be in a long queue for something, but I rarely find myself in that situation. And if I did, I'd just play a game which didn't require that sort of control (or if Gabe's way really does work...well, then there's no problem).

Others might have different experiences though, perhaps there's some situation I'm forgetting where gaming is good but you have to stand up a lot too.

Top Bottom