• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS insurance

PkunkFury

Sorry for another DS topic...

Just wondering about the insurance policies often offered with new gaming hardware by places like EB and Gamestop. I usually just ignore these policies as they seem like a way for the stores to pick up extra cash, but if I pick up the DS I am slightly interested in such a policy. Does anybody here who works at a gamestore know if a policy will be offered with the DS, how much it will cost, and what exactly it will cover? Most importantly, will I be able to return a DS simply because the touchscreen has become scratched??

Has anyone who has used these policies with a previous system had any sort of trouble getting a return from their investment??

Also I have read here that some people used these policies to switch their GBA SPs when new colors/editions were released. How do you go about doing something like this, do you just pretend your old system was defective? I am concerned about nintendo quietly fixing hardware problems in new releases, upgrading the battery, etc. and would love to have a way to effectively swap a launch model for a new one if possible. Thanks for any help.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I work at Toys R Us.
The one we offer is 16.99, goes for a year after Nintendo's manufacturer's labor warranty on the system. (I'm highly sure its labor warranty, not parts, but I'm not sure if you should quote me. Its early in the morning, haha.) Now for the plan you don't return it to TRU, you do have to send it in. I know some people I've worked with have gotten simply checks for the amount they paid for the item, and some just got the item replaced. Thing is it covers normal wear and tear, which the DS screen definitely is.

PkunkFury

kool, thanks for the info

By "send it in" do you mean I mail the unit to some sort of headquarters and they decide weather to refurbish or replace it? This is not something where I can just show a beat up unit to the customer service desk and expect to walk out with a brand new one off the shelf, correct?

PkunkFury said:
Sorry for another DS topic...

Just wondering about the insurance policies often offered with new gaming hardware by places like EB and Gamestop. I usually just ignore these policies as they seem like a way for the stores to pick up extra cash, but if I pick up the DS I am slightly interested in such a policy. Does anybody here who works at a gamestore know if a policy will be offered with the DS, how much it will cost, and what exactly it will cover? Most importantly, will I be able to return a DS simply because the touchscreen has become scratched??

Has anyone who has used these policies with a previous system had any sort of trouble getting a return from their investment??

Also I have read here that some people used these policies to switch their GBA SPs when new colors/editions were released. How do you go about doing something like this, do you just pretend your old system was defective? I am concerned about nintendo quietly fixing hardware problems in new releases, upgrading the battery, etc. and would love to have a way to effectively swap a launch model for a new one if possible. Thanks for any help.

If you're considering these, keep in mind that none of them except for CompUSA will cover accidental damage to the screen. CompUSA is the only place still stupid enough to cover physical damage on the units. Get the coverage from them. Shouldn't be more than $30 (guesstimate).

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
PkunkFury said:
kool, thanks for the info

By "send it in" do you mean I mail the unit to some sort of headquarters and they decide weather to refurbish or replace it? This is not something where I can just show a beat up unit to the customer service desk and expect to walk out with a brand new one off the shelf, correct?

I've never had to do it myself, I only have the plan out on an xbox controller that's still functioning.
Some have told me they didn't even need to send it out, most of it was just dealing with the company on the phone.

aoi tsuki

Shogmaster said:
If you're considering these, keep in mind that none of them except for CompUSA will cover accidental damage to the screen. CompUSA is the only place still stupid enough to cover physical damage on the units. Get the coverage from them. Shouldn't be more than $30 (guesstimate).
That's the TAP plan, right? i've got one on my Clie, and reading through it, i'm pretty sure it didn't cover accidental damage. i'll have to reread my papers to be sure.

Leo

I believe EB's plan for the DS will be $15 for one year, and $25 for two years. At my store at least, we aren't at all picky about why someone wants to swap their system out (unless it's in multiple pieces or something). But, the thing to remember is that EB has changed their system warranty--it's now a ONE TIME exchange, and then the warranty is gone. I'm not sure if they can be renewed.

I'm still undecided on whether or not to get one on mine. Having owned Nintendo stuff for over 15 years now and having worked at EB for two, I know how reliable their hardware is. If it works out of the box, it's probably going to work forever. In my time at EB, I think I've seen maybe three defective Gamecubes, at least one of which was the customer's fault.

EDIT: I hadn't thought of Nintendo's customer service... Yeah, I don't think I'll be buying a warranty.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
At gamestop its $20 for one year, once its exchanged its one time only, you can renew it again for one year for $20 again.

PkunkFury

thanks for all the help people!

I realize Nintendo hardware is pretty reliable, so I don't expect to have to use a warrenty for anything infolving major hardware malfunctions. I'm more or less just hoping to be able to trade in my old system in a year for a new color, and a touchscreen that has seen less wear and tare. I think such an option would be worth an extra 15/20 bucks.

Leo and Suikoguy - when you exchange the unit at EB or Gamestop do you walk out with brand new, packaged hardware?

PkunkFury said:
Leo and Suikoguy - when you exchange the unit at EB or Gamestop do you walk out with brand new, packaged hardware?

At EB, yes.

Keep in mind you pretty much have to tank the hardware, though. If your system has a few scratches, that isn't going to cut it.

aoi tsuki said:
That's the TAP plan, right? i've got one on my Clie, and reading through it, i'm pretty sure it didn't cover accidental damage. i'll have to reread my papers to be sure.

I had 2 out of the 4 Clies I've owned replaced through accidental damage coverage in TAP, although I heard that the new PDA plans as of August last year doesn't cover accidents, because everyone is losing money on PDA returns and replacements (just look at Best Buy which pretty much pulled out of PDAs). However, their laptop plans still do cover accidental damage. So a good chance that their TAPf ro DS will cover it also.

Top Bottom