• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS kiosks hitting the retailers

I'm off to play tomorrow!

DS Advanced:

TouchDS.com reveals the first picture of a DS demo station!
A user at TouchDS.com has spotted a DS kiosk at BestBuy (meaning you could get your hands on a DS right now!). The user has taken a picture of the small kiosk shown below.

Be sure to read our full impressions of the Nintendo DS AND to stay tuned as we bring you more information on the Nintendo DS!

demostationds.jpg

rareside

I played it tonight at Wal-Mart, and I must say I was unimpressed. It was my first time seeing/playing the DS in person, but Metroid just didn't feel right. I only played it with the stylus, however, so it might be more fun changing the control method.

Also, because my eyes were so far away (it's setup so low to the ground, presumably for kids), it just couldn't keep my attention for more than 3 minutes before wanting to quit playing.

I still plan on picking one up at launch, if only to have a portable version of Super Mario64 (Feel the Magic seems cool as well).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
hm, i need go to best buy in a minute. i wonder if they'll have one. and i wonder how long it'll take shoppers to utterly destroy the screens. :/

Grimlock

Ran into one of these yesternight at a BB. Played the Metroid demo on it-felt a bit odd having what amounts to keyboard-&-mouse controls on a portable, but it worked well enough, I guess.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
MP: Hunters is simply the wrong kind of game to show off the DS.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
...or Nintendogs.

The ability to tactilely interact with the puppies is something not seen in games before. Stuff like that gets people excited and talking. The whole stylus as mouse-aim in MP:H is not particularly clever.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Gahiggidy said:
I agree.

At the very least they should've made a demo card for the kiosk that had multiple games on it, like console demo disks.

Gahiggidy

The sentiment is unanimous.

We must now start a petition. A petition to stop Nintendo of America from ruining the launch of Nintendo DS.

Matlock

Banned
Gahiggidy said:

Kinda true, I really would have rather had Mario 64x4 demo...but MP:Hunters will get people interested as well.

Mashing

Why do GBA/DS kiosks only contain one game? They should come up with a large matrix rom cart ot put in those or some kind of disk changer for the demo units so you could play a multitude of games.

Meh, don't know how well that'd work in practice though.

Soul4ger

I like the Metroid demo. So it's not 100%.

Not to mention, everyone who played Metroid was wowed by the graphics. You might not believe me, but people were absolutely gushing about it. One kid even called them "Delicious."

olimario

Banned
Soul4ger said:
I like the Metroid demo. So it's not 100%.

Not to mention, everyone who played Metroid was wowed by the graphics. You might not believe me, but people were absolutely gushing about it. One kid even called them "Delicious."

Sony should hurry and release the PSP kiosk before this gushing gets out of hand.

Soul4ger

olimario said:
Sony should hurry and release the PSP kiosk before this gushing gets out of hand.

We did just start taking pre-orders for the PSP, so folks can come in and put their $20 if they so choose. I think the general consensus among average people is that, portable games have Game Boy graphics. Something that looks like MPH is unheard of, so I'm sure they'll cream their pants when they see Ridge Racers for the first time. Until then, Nintendo does have a nice little jump in North America.

Mashing

PSP: Wait until they get ahold of me!

DS: Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

PSP: Where does he get all those wonderful toys?

olimario

Banned
Soul4ger said:
We did just start taking pre-orders for the PSP, so folks can come in and put their $20 if they so choose. I think the general consensus among average people is that, portable games have Game Boy graphics. Something that looks like MPH is unheard of, so I'm sure they'll cream their pants when they see Ridge Racers for the first time. Until then, Nintendo does have a nice little jump in North America.

You're absolutely right, they do have a nice jump.
And I was a bit harsh. Hunters does look fantastic and the amazing in game art carries it a long way. IGN's demo vids are beautiful.

I'd say Metroid Prime Hunters would be the best choice.

The game is getting pretty positive word of mouth from the press thats been able to play it.

It's probably the best looking DS game too (Wario Ware still looks like a GBA title), and it shows the DS can do 3D graphics.

It also does utilize the touch screen quite well.

And it's a bit edgier than Nintendo's standard fare (the Marios, Pokemons, Kirbys, etc.), since Nintendo has said they want to aim this unit at a slightly older audience.

lexi

Banned
I'll check my local EB in the morning, here's hoping they got one up.

And yes, as soon as Puppy Times is in a playable state, it needs to hit Demo kiosks. It will be the DS's killer app, mark my words.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gahiggidy said:
...or Nintendogs.

The ability to tactilely interact with the puppies is something not seen in games before. Stuff like that gets people excited and talking. The whole stylus as mouse-aim in MP:H is not particularly clever.
Maybe you've missed Dogz and Catz on PC...they're up to like version 5 by now...it's not necessarily a bad demo idea, but I don't think it's any better than MP:H, especially if Nintendo is serious about courting a more "mature" audience for the DS.

Willco

Hollywood Square
DJ Demon J said:
When's DS launching again? Why did Nintendo wait so long to put these in stores?

Because they're trying to keep it a secret. They don't want another public Virtual Boy!

DS launches on Nov. 21st.

Honestly though the best marketing for this thing is going to be when "little Johnny with rich parents" gets one, takes it school, and then the other kids start freaking out and bothering their parents to get one too.

And then eventually there will be schools that will inevitably ban it because kids will start sending messages in class (either profane messages or using the DS to cheat) and then you'll have newspaper/CNN stories about it.

Can't buy that type of marketing.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nice! I dig that double demo unit. Should have gone into all stores. Anyway, I'll be on the look out.

GDGF

Soothsayer
When I get my very own NDS, the first thing I plan on doing is playing Metroid Hunters against whomever is on the demo units in the store I buy it at.

Oh, and since most malls have several toy and video game stores close to each other, I wonder how long it'll take until Team EB Games faces Team Gamestop :)

Cruel Bastard Mario said:
When I get my very own NDS, the first thing I plan on doing is playing Metroid Hunters against whomever is on the demo units in the store I buy it at.

Oh, and since most malls have several toy and video game stores close to each other, I wonder how long it'll take until Team EB Games faces Team Gamestop :)

Cool I did not think of that :)

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Tritroid said:
Willco needs a Nintendo Trolls Until Permaban countdown tag as well.

It's pretty obvious he has immunity, there's no way most posters could act like that without getting a ban, even if he is joking.

Top Bottom