• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dumb Gradius V Question

john tv

In the Japanese version, are the options (the helper...things that fly around your ship) actually called "Options," like they were in every other Gradius game ever made?

In the US version they call them "Multiples," which sounds retarded to me. I'm thinking this must be a US-exclusive thing, no?

epmode

john tv said:
In the Japanese version, are the options (the helper...things that fly around your ship) actually called "Options," like they were in every other Gradius game ever made?
yes.

as a side note, i recently gave all the other gradius/salamander games a mame run-through. the options are called "multiples" in a few other versions. not sure if the naming convention is exclusive to the american releases..

epmode

i can't remember which games in particular.. i can check when i get home from work, but that won't be for a long time.(

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Yes there are.

To be honest mate, I loved Gradius 3, then played V at a trade show and now that I own it, I'm not impressed.

It's pretty cool, but I wouldn't say it's anything amazing. It's a bit slow and dull. I prefer R-Type Delta or Ikaruga. Screw that slow-ass shit or that crap 'let's speed the level up faster than you can move to avoid the crappy background' section in one of the later levels.

Save your money man. Get Fable. Top fucking game. Am very very surprised by it (it's got issues, no doubt, but it still rules and you can have sex with *loads* of women!)

epmode

boutrosinit said:
It's pretty cool, but I wouldn't say it's anything amazing. It's a bit slow and dull. I prefer R-Type Delta or Ikaruga. Screw that slow-ass shit or that crap 'let's speed the level up faster than you can move to avoid the crappy background' section in one of the later levels.

Save your money man. Get Fable. Top fucking game. Am very very surprised by it (it's got issues, no doubt, but it still rules and you can have sex with *loads* of women!)
words fail me.

8bit

Knows the Score
They were called Multiples in Salamander, IIRC.
I can almost hear the pick-up voice in my head. Every other game, I think they're Options.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
No way dude. Gradius V = average (Gradius 3 = excellent). I *loved* V when I played it at E3 (I believe it was the level with tonnes of rocks), but they seem to have watered it down in the Euro version.

I got bored of it in a few days. Old skool with none of the crap taken out.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yeah, it varies from one gradius-related game to another. usually they're options, sometimes they're multiples, and i don't think there's any logic to it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
john tv said:

In the US version they call them "Multiples," which sounds retarded to me. I'm thinking this must be a US-exclusive thing, no?

always have been options to me too... when did they change?

xexex

Banned
boutrosinit ... man quit ragging on Gradius V. it's awesome.

Gradius III = insanely difficult but good.

Gradius V - awesomely good and not as impossible as III

It's not impossible because you are awarded with extra credits. But some of the later levels are insane, and as boutrosinit said the ship's default speed is ludicrous.

I love the game, as much as I hate it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
8bit said:
They were called Multiples in Salamander, IIRC.
I can almost hear the pick-up voice in my head. Every other game, I think they're Options.

Me too :)

Imagine leeloo dallas multipass saying 'multiple' and you've got the Salamander sample.

Also

Ri-pull lay-ser!

GET OUT OF BRAIN QUICKLY.

They've always been multiples to me (but then Gradius is Nemesis as far as I'm concerned :D )

I've got the Pal & Korean versions of G5, and I've not noticed any real differences in the game play.

Top Bottom