• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duncan Jones' "Mute"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Lou

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44821

During his meteoric ascent through the filmmaking ranks, Duncan Jones has had one itch that he’s still to scratch. Mute, a small noir sci-fi that was shaping up to be the director’s homage to his beloved Blade Runner, slipped away as he shifted gears from Moon to Source Code and now onto Warcraft. Well, it’s slipped right back again. Talking exclusively to Empire at Legendary’s Comic-Con preview night, Jones revealed that Mute is back on the agenda.

“Dark Horse and Glenn Fabry and myself have been working on the graphic novel for [Mute] for years now – literally years – and there’s a very good chance, if I can squeeze [it in] in these 11 months, that you’ll see the film before you see the graphic novel.”

That period, of course, represents the gap between Warcraft being locked (and it’s only a few effects shots away now) and its release in June 2016. It’s a hiatus that promises Jones the chance to return to a passion project set in a future Berlin. “It’s 11 months to sneak in my little indie sci-fi before Warcraft comes out,” as he put it. “I got Moon done in 11 months.”

Back when it first surfaced, Jones and co-writer Mike Johnson’s story revolved around a mute bartender who finds himself lifted while out searching for his missing girlfriend. The villains were a pair of comedians. How much, if at all, it’s changed in the interim remains to be seen.

Back in late 2009, Jones’ production company Liberty Films shared this piece of early concept art showing an intriguing future cityscape replete with hoover cars and ominous-looking heavies. Since then, those Hollywood projects have kept his dancecard full. This could be Mute’s moment.

big ander

wouldn't turn down some sci-fi noir as reparation for Source Code being a drag and Warcraft not interesting me even a small amount.

Grakl

Yes please! Love Duncan Jones to death. Moon was amazing, big part of getting me to love sci fi films way back when

Lakitu

st5fu
I'd be much more into this than a Warcraft film. Although I hope Warcraft does well because it'd be great for his career.

Moon is so great and I enjoyed Source Code too.

Akahige

Wow Empire is a fun site to visit on mobile.

Glad to hear this might happen, after how great Moon was it will be interesting to see what original story he has been cooking up. Source Code was pretty enjoyable to me also.

tomtom94

I want this to happen, but I reckon he's going to have a job convincing a distributor, especially if Warcraft underperforms.

Moon=Amazing
Source Code=Pretty good
Warcraft=Awful

Im excited for him to return to something more in the style i think i like the most from him, i just dont get the duncan jones is amazing thoughts.

Pickman

Based Netflix. Too bad that this means the film will be ignored by the academy.

Lets be fair. Moon was pretty good, Source Code was decent, and Warcraft blew.

Based on his running record, the man isn't quite Academy nominee tier yet.

mjc

Moon=Amazing
Source Code=Pretty good
Warcraft=Awful

Im excited for him to return to something more in the style i think i like the most from him, i just dont get the duncan jones is amazing thoughts.

Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Netflix is really good at finding these kinds of movies. So glad it'll be where I want to watch my movies.

Duncan Jones is 3 out of 3 in my book. Moon is great while Warcraft and Source Code are both really good entries in any filmography.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lets be fair. Moon was pretty good, Source Code was decent, and Warcraft blew.

Based on his running record, the man isn't quite Academy nominee tier yet.

The point wasn't "Duncan Jones has made a Best Picture-worthy film before and is sure to deliver another one here" but rather "Mute will go unappreciated by the Academy even if it is deserving of recognition". I do agree with your assessment, though, but would swap "pretty good" for "great" and "decent" for "pretty good".

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
The point wasn't "Duncan Jones has made a Best Picture-worthy film before and is sure to deliver another one here" but rather "Mute will go unappreciated by the Academy even if it is deserving of recognition". I do agree with your assessment, though, but would swap "pretty good" for "great" and "decent" for "pretty good".

I haven't seen it in years, but from what I remember, the tail segment of Moon was a bit to much pandering to a general audience. Dragged down the entire film.

mjc

this guy is defending warcraft.

BOO THIS MAN. BOO HIM.

bale-fuckoff.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I haven't seen it in years, but from what I remember, the tail segment of Moon was a bit to much pandering to a general audience. Dragged down the entire film.

It didn't sour me on the film overall, but, yeah, I also recall being a little disappointed with how the final act closes.

Have seen source code and warcraft. Liked both movies a lot. Have moon on blu ray but haven't seen it yet.

Very interested in this.

PS Warcraft is an awesome movie ! (would love a directors cut though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom