• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports talking trash! Suck it down VC!

DMczaf

http://www.easports.com/games/madden2005/sales.jsp

The Madden NFL Football franchise has been the dominant player in the pro football video game field for years, often being compared to an 800-pound gorilla, but it was expected to see its stiffest competition yet this year.

ESPN NFL 2K5 -- the game that dropped its price to an unprecedented $19.99 -- sold just under 800,000 units in the month of July. Sure, that number is a lot higher than in year's past, but it's no 1.3 million in a week! It just goes to show, you really do get what you pay for.

sales_250x163.jpg

First picture from Madden Xbox2/PS3 revealed!

madden2.jpg

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
ESPN NFL 2K5 -- the game that dropped its price to an unprecedented $19.99 -- sold just under 800,000 units in the month of July. Sure, that number is a lot higher than in year's past, but it's no 1.3 million in a week! It just goes to show, you really do get what you pay for.
The logic used by that statement claims that 2K5 sold less copies because the price was lower... which makes no sense whatsoever. EA can't even talk trash correctly.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Sega has allways been the best at trash talking, even when they cant back it (usually)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Lazy8s said:
The logic used by that statement claims that 2K5 sold less copies because the price was lower... which makes no sense whatsoever. EA can't even talk trash correctly.

well even by selling more copies this year ESPN didn't turn as much profit as last year

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
If those are next gen graphics, then next gen graphics must not be too good, considering that those graphics can be done by current gen consoles.

Bog

Junior Ace
Blackace said:
well even by selling more copies this year ESPN didn't turn as much profit as last year

How about waiting a little longer to claim that.

Mrbob

Blackace said:

I don't understand this statement. You and SonyCowboy going to the same school of economics? :p Profit wise, they should blow last year out of the water.

BTW EA must be pretty scared to have to trump their horn like this.

JayFro

Banned
You can't argue with the numbers, they sold more in less time for a much higher price. August numbers for ESPN should be very interesting though.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Mrbob said:
I don't understand this statement. You and SonyCowboy going to the same school of economics? :p Profit wise, they should blow last year out of the water.

BTW EA must be pretty scared to have to trump their horn like this.

Maybe I am assuming too much... but I assume that the game cost about the same to make that it did last year.... so they'll have to see double the copies they would have had to at 49.99....but we will have to wait and see I guess...

Alcibiades

Can't wait for September, once both have been out on the market and people can make a decision based on having played both and word-of-mouth happens...

I wouldn't be surprised if those 1.35 million were sold-through though, since the Collector's Edition ignited some customers to go hunting down until that last copy, and I'm sure there are very few copies left, and people that hard Madden freaks (quite a lot of them) got on day one, maybe even more than one copy (as I hear many Halo freaks are going to do with the Halo "Limited Edition"...

Mrbob

Blackace said:
Maybe I am assuming too much... but I assume that the game cost about the same to make that it did last year.... so they'll have to see double the copies they would have had to at 49.99....but we will have to wait and see I guess...

They already doubled their number sold in the first ten days (800K in first 10 days for 2K5 versus 400K total for 2K4). ESPN 2K5 is gonna sell a couple million.

Back to EA for a sec, it would be cool if they had a console breakdown.

Probably something like this:

PS2-800K
Xbox-450K
GC - 50K

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
Back to EA for a sec, it would be cool if they had a console breakdown.

Probably something like this:

PS2-800K
Xbox-450K
GC - 50K
More likely...

PS2~ 800k
XBox~ 300k
GC~ 75k
PS1~ 50k
GBA~ 25k
PC~ whatever's left over

I doubt those are sold-through numbers. I've got stacks of unsold copies of Madden in the back of my store. Compared to last year, the latest Madden's sales are pretty weak. I remember 2004 selling completely out in the first two days. This year, I sold one copy on the first day. One. Since then, I've sold about 22-23 copies, but that's nothing compared to the number of copies of 2K5 I've sold. Maybe its the casuals picking up 2k5 and the hardcore football players picking up Madden(or both). I'd say that at specialty stores like Gamestop, Madden probably outsells 2K5, whearas places like Target and Walmart(impulse buyers), 2K5 probably comes out on top. Just a theory.

SonicMegaDrive said:
I doubt those are sold-through numbers. I've got stacks of unsold copies of Madden in the back of my store.

Will you retail whores stop acting as if YOUR store represents the entire nation?

WasabiKing said:
Will you retail whores stop acting as if YOUR store represents the entire nation?

Yeah, really, it gets annoying. There are thousands and thousands of outlets carrying the game. I mean come on. At most , all you're showing is what a crappy salesperson you are, since you can't even sell one of the best selling game in the country right now.

cubanb

Banned
shit I drove from Santa Cruz to San Jose to buy madden when one gamestop was getting it earlier than others because they werepicking it up off an airplane. The place was packed. They sold out their copies. there was a HUGE line. they even had a bbq. it was cool :)

Meier

It's funny, I know whenever these threads happen and companies report numbers, it's their shipped figures.. but with Madden, I'm inclined to believe this very well could be sell-through numbers. It's that much of a juggernaut.

retardboy

Well Sega said they sold a million, so what does this 800k mean? So does this mean that Sega actually sold 800k and shipped 1 million? That's actually pretty good.

Well the thing is, since they're comparing the sell through nubmers for ESPN, I would think they wouldn't set themselves up so bad by using shipment numbers for Madden. And if they wanted to do use shipments, they could have sent this release out a week ago.

Alcibiades

FitzOfRage said:
Yeah, really, it gets annoying. There are thousands and thousands of outlets carrying the game. I mean come on. At most , all you're showing is what a crappy salesperson you are, since you can't even sell one of the best selling game in the country right now.

hey, I made it a point to hide our Driv3r stock by not putting out any (except maybe a copy or two every once in a while) in the shelves, and overstacking a bottom endcap (where we were only supposed to put a few + leftovers from shelf) and leaving them in an unseen and obsure location (you literally couldn't see what the game was because they were stacked and the shelf right above it blocked the view, so you had to take the game out to see what it was) ...

sometimes not selling one of the best selling games in the country can be a good thing ;)

casuals may just love presentation and glitz, which 2k5 offers...

Teddman

I really doubt the Madden numbers are sold-through. The game industry as a whole doesn't report actual sell-through data that fast... It's why we wait so long for NPD, etc. every month.

Top Bottom