• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's Warren Wall talks PSP launch, wireless play

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/15/news_6110664.html

The brain behind Electronic Arts' PSP titles spills some tantalizing details on the PSP's wireless link play and launch titles planned for the US and Japan.

In an interview posted on Electronic Arts' Web page this morning, the executive producer of EA's PSP development team let loose a barrage of insider info related to the upcoming portable hardware. Team Fusion head Warren Wall talked about some of the games that will be present at the launch of the PSP in both Japan and the US, and compared the PSP's functionality, like wireless head-to-head play, to that of the Nintendo DS.

According to Wall, EA will ship Need for Speed Underground Rivals and Tiger Woods PGA Tour in Japan "before the end of the year," though not necessarily on the system's launch day. In the US, EA promises "updated versions" of NFS:UR and Tiger Woods as well as NBA Street, NFL Street, and "a couple more titles that have yet to be revealed." Wall skirted the issue of whether all these titles would be available day-and-date with the system.

Discussing Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Wall emphasized a feature that he would return to again and again in the interview: head-to-head multiplayer via Wi-Fi. Besides the ability to link two PSP systems wirelessly, Wall teased "an entirely new match format exclusive to PSP" but did not provide details. Similarly, NFS: UR will feature gameplay modes exclusive to the PSP for both single- and multiplayer. In general, Wall said, the games "have been tailored for the PSP in nearly every way."

"Sony has made Wi-Fi play really simple on the PSP," said Wall. "Players need to just flip a switch on the side of the machine to enable/disable the feature. When it's turned on, players will just select a head-to-head play mode and the game will automatically detect other players with the same game in the area. It is as easy as a 2-player match-up on a home console."

On the subject of connectivity between the PSP and PS2, Wall said that Team Fusion is considering using the feature in upcoming titles, but again provided no details or examples.

As the interview closed, Wall compared the PSP with the Nintendo DS. "They are both really interesting," he said, "but they are completely different machines, aimed at different consumers, for a different experience." Wall pointed out that the Nintendo DS' two screens and touch input allow for "an entirely new way to play" while the PSP allows EA to "push the envelope graphically" as well as "introduce players to new ways of challenging each other using Wi-Fi."

Curiously, Wall did not mention the fact that Nintendo DS multiplayer is also carried out through such a wireless link functionality, something that EA's launch titles for the system next month will all feature.

Team Fusion is the division of Electronic Arts devoted entirely to PSP development. Based in EA Canada, the team employs about 150 designers dedicated to producing first-generation software for the system based on EA's top franchises.

By Chris Kohler -- GameSpot
POSTED: 10/15/04 10:50 AM PST

neptunes

what about online?

we know that wip3out pure (will have downloable contnet) and puyo pop can be played online.

including that mmorpg sony is developing for the psp.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
well that's fucked up.. the guy gushes about WiFi on PSP, even though DS supports it AND EA's launch titles will use it..

quimby.jpg

hmm... did I hear a suitcase full of cash opening somewhere?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
He's the head of EA's internal team for PSP speaking in an expose primarily about their work for the PSP. What did you expect? And yet, he still speaks very enthusiastically about the DS. There's also the possibility here that there are some differences in wireless implementation between the DS and PSP

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
borghe said:
well that's fucked up.. the guy gushes about WiFi on PSP, even though DS supports it AND EA's launch titles will use it..

quimby.jpg

hmm... did I hear a suitcase full of cash opening somewhere?

the executive producer of EA's PSP development team
Uh.....

jarrod

Banned
So EA only has one internal team concentrating on PSP? Is it the same with DS software, or are they being done by the console teams?

neptunes

kaching said:

Remember that OPM issue asking what developers thought of ths psp?
(it was posted here a while back)

What do I like most about the PSP?
---------------------------------------
Yannis Mallat: Producer, Ubisoft (Prince of Persia)
What I like the most is the immediate appeal it creates! When you see it, you want it. This is an amazing toy for adults, and I think Sony is just re-creating the walkman effect with this piece of hardware. You have to have it if you're cool. Now, the screen and it's huge resolution combined with the powerful capabilities of the machine altogether make it a real breakthrough in visuals and gaming experience for handheld consoles.
I would definitely see myself playing PoP game on PSP rather than a poor 2D platform game on any other handheld.
---------------------------
Yuji Naka, Director, Sonic Team, Sega:
The WiFi capabilities and the 16:9 aspect ratio are brilliant. You can play wireless online everywhere. Puyo Pop Fever, my first PSP game will be the first Puyo Pop Fever game to support online play on consoles or handhelds. It utilizes the Widescreen, so you'll be able to play with your friend face to face by holding one PSP from both sides.

Kaching said:

http://pspinsider.com/itex.php?iid=212

It seems like it was downloadable content. (mixed up)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yeah yeah yeah.. I missed the head of psp development part.. oh well, the quimby pic stays :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
neptunes, yeah, I remember it, but I thought Puyo Pop had since been confirmed not to include actual online play, but rather wireless LAN play.

neptunes

kaching said:
neptunes, yeah, I remember it, but I thought Puyo Pop had since been confirmed not to include actual online play, but rather wireless LAN play.

I don't remember reading the details of the game, I think I might have missed it.
Can you show me a link if you don't mind?

p.s. Isn't Volcanus Online for the psp...Online?

WarPig

There's a couple online RPGs announced so far. Sony has one of their own on their TGS list. Whether they'll actually come out is an open question, but they say they can do it.

DFS.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Not meant as a troll, but this guy has never touched a NDS right?

Just asking for the sake of WiFi in Goldeneye. Seeing as he fails to mention NDS is WiFi capable.

WarPig

Society said:
Not meant as a troll, but this guy has never touched a NDS right?

He probably has. Nintendo's passed around final hardware to everybody. He's not making DS games, though, obviously.

I still don't get what the big deal is. He wanted to highlight the differences between the systems, so he mentioned what's different about the DS. If you're a Nintendo advocate, why don't you feel honored? The DS has so many wonderful capabilities that he actually didn't have the space to mention them all ^_^

DFS.

Kon Tiki

Banned
WarPig said:
He probably has. Nintendo's passed around final hardware to everybody. He's not making DS games, though, obviously.

I still don't get what the big deal is. He wanted to highlight the differences between the systems, so he mentioned what's different about the DS. If you're a Nintendo advocate, why don't you feel honored? The DS has so many wonderful capabilities that he actually didn't have the space to mention them all ^_^

DFS.

It is not that. I just want Goldeneye details. :p

Top Bottom