• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EB Trade Ins?

I'd just like to know how eb trade ins work. Do I trade in games so that I can buy new games or used? Do I get some sort of store credit I can use online and in the store? I'm not really sure on how it works, and I have a ton of ps2 games I need to get of my hands. Thanks in advance.

P.S. There are a couple of games I'm interested for future purchases, would I be able to save the credit for when such games are released?

You can get store credit or 80% of store credit as cash. Lately, my local ebgames has been pretty stingy with credit for games---especially older games. You might want to check other stores and their trade-in credit prices before settling on ebgames.

Also, if you have a Gamerush (inside a Blockbuster Video), they have a coupon on their website to print : get any pre-owned game when you trade-in 2 games and pay $9.99.
There's also a coupon in August Game Pro for Gamerush: get any pre-owned game when you trade-in 3 games and pay $4.99.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You get (very little) store credit. It's on a card that they give you, you can use it whenever you want.

If the game is old at all, you won't get more than 4 or 5 bucks for it.

that sucks. I wasnt expecting much anyway. I was hoping though that they had some sort of deal or something. Don't they usually have trade in x amount of games and get 1 brand new one.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ebay.com

Know it, Use it

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Do they issue store credit on gift cards? Cause appanantly you can use gift cards on the online store...so maybe you can use store credit online as well?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Infernodash said:
ebay is too much work. I hate work

Then your exactly the type of person who trades in stuff :)
Right now Gamestop has 30%+ for 3+ tradins, which is not a horrible deal if your the lazy type :)

Hellraizah

Wario64 said:
Do they issue store credit on gift cards? Cause appanantly you can use gift cards on the online store...so maybe you can use store credit online as well?
You can get your credit on an EB Edge card. Always funny to hear people saying they get ripped off. What do you expect ??? to get 40 dollars for a greatest hit ???

Suikoguy

Hellraizah said:
You can get your credit on an EB Edge card. Always funny to hear people saying they get ripped off. What do you expect ??? to get 40 dollars for a greatest hit ???

No, they expect more then $5, which they turn around and sell for 17.99

Scott

Why not post the list of games you're looking to get rid of on here? There may be some people interested, and you'll most likely make more this way than you would at EB.

Just a thought.

Link316

Banned
Wario64 said:

nope, you get credit on an EB Edge card, you don't get charged tax when you use it to buy stuff

you could use the Edge card to buy Gift Cards but when pay for something with a Gift Card you get charged tax, advantage of the Gift Card though is that you can use it online

Hellraizah

Suikoguy said:
No, they expect more then $5, which they turn around and sell for 17.99
And what do you think happens when a game they gave 25 dollars in credit for drops to 20 dollars brand new ?

robot

Infernodash said:
that sucks. I wasnt expecting much anyway. I was hoping though that they had some sort of deal or something. Don't they usually have trade in x amount of games and get 1 brand new one.

Gamerush gives decent prices and they have great deals. 2 trade-ins for a pre-owned game for $10 PLUS the trade in amount on those games. And another that involves getting a new game for $29.99 or less...i think you trade any 2 games for that too (maybe 1 game). Gamerush is inside Bloackbuster btw.

I recently got 6 or 7 new or like new games bringing back a few old ones that would probably get me $3-$10 at eb.

Suikoguy

Hellraizah said:
And what do you think happens when a game they gave 25 dollars in credit for drops to 20 dollars brand new ?

Err, what does that have to do with a $5 tradin that they sell for $17.99?
Is the game going to be selling for less then $5?

Lame comparision

Ristamar

It's generally a total rip-off, but if you insist on doing it, I'd recommend waiting for trade-in deals to spring up at Gamespot or EB. Right now EB is offering a flat $10 credit for any PS2/XB/GC game put toward Spider-man 2 or Madden 2005, AFAIK. I think Gamestop currently gives you an extra 3 dollars of store credit on select trade-ins.

Hellraizah

Suikoguy said:
Err, what does that have to do with a $5 tradin that they sell for $17.99?
Is the game going to be selling for less then $5?

Lame comparision

What does it have to do with your game that's selling at 17.99$ ? Very good question.

Each day, price drops occur in store, you got games sitting on the shelves that go down in price, and so does their pre-owned counterpart. To give a recent example, Prince Of Persia went down in price to 29.99$ CAD recently. For the new games, the company gets credited for whatever their inventory of that game is. But for the used games, they have to take the loss upon themselves. Let's say I bought 3 copies of Prince Of Persia when it was 69.99$ CAD, and I gave 35$ each in-store credit one month before the price drop. The 3 copies stay on the shelves at 59.99$ CAD, and then the price drop occurs. You got 3 games that you basically paid 35$ for, that you are now gonna sell for 24.99$ because of the price drop. It's 10$ X 3, so, 30$ in losses. When the company issues trade-in values, they gotta keep in mind that the new games could possibly drop in price soon, and that even if it doesn't, you got other games on which you're gonna take losses. Keeping in mind that new games aren't exactly the thing that's the most profitable on the market, video games stores has to turn to used games sales to make some sort of profit. If you give out too much in store credit, you're gonna take too much losses, and then, how are you gonna pay the rent ??? The employees ??

On the other side, if you don't give enough, people aren't gonna trade-in, BUT, what's the point of giving someone 10$ for Madden 2001, even if it's gonna sell for 15 or 17$, it's not worth, because you it's probably never gonna sell, except when you drop it to 0.99$ for clearance. If they start to give out too much for titles that are not gonna sell, it takes up place on the floor that could be used for more wanted games. You have to make money on games, to cover the losses made by prices drops of other games, that's the way it works.

Now, please, keep your "lame comparison" comments to yourself, go back to school and have a nice day.

Top Bottom