• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EBGames Sales Chart 8/31-9/6: Pikmin vs. Ocean

Rhindle

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sales_chart_us_console_sales.html

536705.jpg

1.Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Publisher: Square Enix Platform: PS2
Genre: Role-Playing Release: 08/31/2004

2 Pikmin 2
Publisher: Nintendo | Platform: GC | Genre: Strategy
release: 08/30/2004

3 WWE Day of Reckoning
Publisher: THQ | Platform: GC | Genre: Sports

4 ESPN NHL 2K5
Publisher: Sega | Platform: XBOX | Genre: Sports

5 Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Publisher: Capcom | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Action
release: 08/31/2004

6 NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup
Publisher: EA Games | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Driving

7 Street Racing Syndicate
Publisher: Namco | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Driving
release:08/31/2004

8 Madden NFL 2005
Publisher: EA Sports | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Sports
release: 08/09/2004

9 NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup
Publisher: EA Games | Platform: XBOX | Genre: Driving

10 Street Racing Syndicate
Publisher: Namco | Platform: XBOX | Genre: Driving

Rankings Based on EB Games figures from 8/31/04 to 9/6/04

Bog

Junior Ace
I thought Pikmin was taking on a classic Ocean published title, like Lethal Weapon 3 for the SNES.

Rhindle

I am most impressed by:

1. WWE showing up at No. 3. Cubers like their wrasslin, I guess.

2. NHL 2k5 on Xbox at No. 4 with the PS2 version nowhere to be seen.

ferricide

GDJustin said:
Pikmin will win in the longterm.
no wayz. square enix knows how to market the shit out of this title, and as soon as it can go GH they'll take it there. meanwhile nintendo will try to charge $50 for the next 2 years.

buh, both disappointing games. do i care who wins? no!

AniHawk

Rhindle said:
I am most impressed by:

1. WWE showing up at No. 3. Cubers like their wrasslin, I guess.

It's been getting the best ratings of any Cube wrestler so far. And I guess the commercial is working with the wrestling fanbase as well... I guess.

2. NHL 2k5 on Xbox at No. 4 with the PS2 version nowhere to be seen.

That IS weird.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
AniHawk said:
That IS weird.

just look at the original signup thread for the nhl 2k5 leagues in the online forum... the xbox league was filled. PS2 league contains 1 person :p

u_neek

Still don't get the SO-haters... screw you bitches..

Star Ocean sales predictions for August/September? Remember it was released Aug 31.

olimario

Banned
Pikmin 2 deserves to sell 2 million copies.
I want Nintendo to do Billboard ads, print ads, more commercials, etc...

Triumph

Banned
olimario said:
Pikmin 2 deserves to sell 2 million copies.
I want Nintendo to do Billboard ads, print ads, more commercials, etc...
Pikmin 2 deserves to sell at least 450,000 copies in the US... which is what it will probably do.

It's funny to see you people get your panties all bunched up like this whenever a game comes out that will ultimately not sell to your feverish, fanboy influenced expectations. But whatever, at least it provides me with enjoyment!

Oh, and lifetime SO will outsell Pikmin 2 by about 2 to 1. Bank on it, Gary. BANK ON IT.

olimario

Banned
I don't expect Pikmin 2 to sell more than 500,000 here, but it does deserve to. Most people who have played it will agree.
I don't care if SO outsells it, I know I'm playing the better game.

ferricide

Raoul Duke said:
Oh, and lifetime SO will outsell Pikmin 2 by about 2 to 1. Bank on it, Gary. BANK ON IT.
no way. chrono cross sold 500k lifetime, and i think we can expect the exact same performance from SO -- it's a square enix game but it has no big name attached to it and it'll become a GH, but only just. relatively the same spot in the system's lifespan, too.

Triumph

Banned
Rummy Bunnz said:
So. Did KOTOR ever end up outselling Wind Waker.
No. Hubris grabbed hold of me on that one. But worldwide, lifetime sales, I'm supremely confident that SO will outsell Pikmin 2: Electric Bugaloo by about 2 to 1.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Remember that Pikmin 1 is over a million to date. I expect the sequel will do better than you guys are giving it credit for.

Pikmin 2's around what, 400k in Japan? SO3 + Director's cut's around 650k.

Star Ocean's gonna sell a million copies here and in Europe? I know you're just trolling Olimario, but you can do better, can't you?

And I wish people would stop taking the great Electric Boogaloo's name in vain. It's so incredibly tired and unfunny - almost as unfunny as working a "I will punch you in the testicles" gimmick on the interweb - and I have a feeling 90% of the people who do it have never seen either Breakin'. Knock it off.

AniHawk

678,524 for SO3 in Japan (including Director's Cut).
440,000 for Pikmin 2 in Japan.

Pikmin sold over 600k in 3 years' time + PC in NA, and 300k-400k in EU.

Alcibiades

I doubt this chart is actually counting units sold at the nation-wide EB chain.

Looks like it's counting either online sales or some sort of average of what every day in their top 10 is.

I think we should wait for NPD sales...

either way, Pikmin 2 is one of those long-term sellers that is going to sell by word of mouth and is really a holiday title as far as expectations are concerned.

Star Ocean 3 is like the first major RPG on the PS2, and after all the talk about Tales of Symphonia, I'm not surprised some PS2'ers were hungry for something (even taking into account the mediocre-to-decent reviews)

Rummy Bunnz said:
And I wish people would stop taking the great Electric Boogaloo's name in vain. It's so incredibly tired and unfunny - almost as unfunny as working a "I will punch you in the testicles" gimmick on the interweb - and I have a feeling 90% of the people who do it have never seen either Breakin'. Knock it off.

I came SO close to saying almost exactly the same thing. Though I would go so far as to say not only that he hasn't seen Breakin', but that he didn't even know it had anything to do with Breakin' until you said that.

Then again, the guy did have a Killer Klowns avatar at one point, which is pretty damn great. He may just know what's up!

Top Bottom