• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE gets redesigned

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Edge redesign celebrates videogame culture

Future's formidable games title gets comprehensive redesign

20/10/04 – Edge, Future Publishing's internationally respected multi-format videogame magazine, has unveiled its first complete redesign for more than five years.

The award-winning Edge has been considered required reading by consumers and game developers alike since its launch in 1993. The only videogame magazine with a remit that reflects the full scope of gaming's present, past and future, Edge is also uniquely placed to address its widening cultural impact. Under the guidance of its editor, videogame industry veteran Tony Mott, the redesign is intended to preserve Edge's tradition of intelligence, insight and authority while readying the magazine for the future.

On sale Thursday, October 28, issue 143 of Edge introduces a new design which maximises the visual impact of what is a fundamentally graphical medium. Moreover, changing its mission statement from 'the future of electronic entertainment' to 'videogame culture' sees Edge setting a new agenda, aggressively pursuing all that is interesting in gaming and imaginatively assessing its wider significance. With revamped game reviews and a new 'Start' section, Edge also introduces a new perspective on gaming called 'Time Extend'. This series of articles follows significant titles after the pre-release hype and the post-release criticism have died down, examining the influence they had on the people who played them and on the games that followed.

Following the successful introduction of opinion columns in 1999, Edge is bringing on board two new names -- respected industry veteran Gary Penn and academic and author Tim Guest. Penn, who worked on the first Grand Theft Auto and now designs games at Denki, offers an insider's perspective on game development, while Guest focuses on the 'second lives' of gamers, reporting back while travelling the world to investigate online communities and the fascinating culture that has rapidly grown around them.

Commenting on the redesign, editor Tony Mott said: "Once more we face the introduction of a new generation of videogaming hardware, from handheld devices like Sony's PlayStation Portable and Nintendo's DS to fully fledged PS2 and Xbox replacements for the living room, and Edge's redesign puts us in a better position to recognise and appreciate that shift. Edge readers are knowledgeable, dedicated and highly demanding consumers, and we're confident that the new iteration of the magazine will prove an even more essential companion to their pastime."

Edge 143 goes on sale on Thursday, October 28th, with a cover price of £4.
Some opinions from our fellow britons?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Man, 4 pounds is expensive.

Come to think of it, two pounds for a trip in the Underground is really damn expensive, too. Here in San Francisco it's $1.30 one way to work. How do you Londoners manage it?

|
|
v
You could make the argument that Next Generation was running out of steam a fair bit before the NextGen redesign, however.

I won't say the sky is falling, but anybody who remembers the Next Generation -> Nextgen transition probably will echo any concern over layout redesign.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
No more exclusive previews i guess, probably wasnt worth the money when so many people just look at the scans.

Burger

I buy Edge, and I pay about $9 US for it too (NZ). I believe it's the best videogame magazine on the market today.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The last redesign wasn't too long ago, and it worked out pretty well. So I'm hopeful for this one.

Fowler

fennec fox said:
Man, 4 pounds is expensive.

Come to think of it, two pounds for a trip in the Underground is really damn expensive, too. Here in San Francisco it's $1.30 one way to work. How do you Londoners manage it?

|
|
v
You could make the argument that Next Generation was running out of steam a fair bit before the NextGen redesign, however.

Last year day travelcards on the Underground were less than 3 quid. You're getting ripped off!

fr4nz

EDG143.jpg

ferricide

Ghost said:
No more exclusive previews i guess, probably wasnt worth the money when so many people just look at the scans.
magazines don't pay for exclusives. it's just maneuvering with PR/marketing people.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Edge is doing well lately correct?

Ha ha I notice the complete lack of GameCube replacement for the living room. Maybe he means redesigned units.

pilonv1

I'm already disheartened by the increase in the number of stories on the cover. Hopefully the new design keeps things simple the way the current one. Glad to see Coin-op return (previously arcade) though.

I have really liked the features in the last few issues though (especially the business software one), so I have some confidence they know what they're doing.

Edit: I hope the new columnists don't mean we lose some of the current ones.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Fowler said:
Last year day travelcards on the Underground were less than 3 quid. You're getting ripped off!

They're like £4.50 now. Well, depends on what zones you want, but that covers the zones worth visiting.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
fennec fox said:
Why didn't you tell me that, you so and so!

No man. That's if you're under 16 :p

If you're zone 1+2 it's four fiddy. Last year it was about 30p least.

Deg

Banned
fennec fox said:
Why didn't you tell me that, you so and so!

Depends. What zones you use(where you travel to and from)? What time you travel. I end up paying alot for travel.

Koshiro

I need to pick this up and give Edge another chance (I hated their "We're better than that little industry down by our feet" attitude before), perhaps they've changed.

pilonv1

COCKLES said:
They need to get rid of Mr Biffo and that cunt Redeye and replace them with a colomn from Dominik.

I don't mind Biffo because he's a bit more light hearted than the others, and I like Redeyes ability to piss off anyone and everyone. Just be thankful we dont have that Famitsu Wave guys FFXI blog anymore.

SFA_AOK

Biffo's column is good stuff, RedEye's style is just annoying. Nagoshi's column was best.

I bought every issue of Edge from issue 50 up until about half a year ago. Reading it was getting to be a chore and tbh, I'm not into games as much any more. I'll pick the new issue up but I can't see myself buying it every month.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
get rid of redeye. He used to be amusing, but is now mostly irritating.

Biffo is good. I liked him from Digitiser. He brings a nice context to things. He is a gamer, but isn't in the gaming industry anymore (but is in media).

Acosta

That will be my second change of format, I just renoved my subscription. I really liked the actual one, hard to see from that picture how it's going to be the new one.

Overall, great mag, is always interesting for me.

Yeah Redeye can go. Occasionally you get the vibe that he's being sincere but most of the time he only seems to care about ruffling peoples feathers (but then again I think Edge has a bit of a history, especially in reviews, of not being sincere in order to force a point or just cause a bit of controversy). At least with Nagoshi and Biffo they do seem to be genuine about what they write. Nagoshi is the man though, in fact as long as he stays they could get rid of the rest of them.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Both Nagoshi and Biffo are golden. Nagoshi bacause he is simply a cool guy who can write about the industry's diatribes without looking like an asshat or being boring -this is very important, and Biffo because he has a good sense of humour, which is always welcomed in a nostalgic/bitter column.

jonhuz

pilonv1 said:
I don't mind Biffo because he's a bit more light hearted than the others, and I like Redeyes ability to piss off anyone and everyone. Just be thankful we dont have that Famitsu Wave guys FFXI blog anymore.

Redeye writes crap these days. Never much cared for that Poole bloke either. Biffo's articles always get read though.
Anyone know when subs are going to be sent out, if it's on general sale on 28th?

pilonv1 said:
I get the feeling sometimes though Nagoshi forgets he's writing for a gaming magazine though ;)

That's part of his charm though. It gives you a better sense of the guy so when he comes back with a gaming column (whether it be about the creative development side or the more managerial/marketing side of things) you understand his perspective and why his character is tuned that way better.

I think his column was particularly interesting when he detailed first the balancing of manager with designer when AV was a separate company and then the upheavals within Sega as teams got merged and moved around. Now things have settled down his columns are more leisurely but still good reading.

I'm really interested in the Majora's Mask article.

Top Bottom