• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Effective Tales of Symphonia combos

belgurdo

Banned
How high have you gotten the counter in a fight, and what's the best way to juggle bosses and large enemies? My personal best is 24 (Lloyd-Psi Tempest/Raine-Photon/Sheena-a seal attack/Zelos-normal attack)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
My highest combo is 27, but it wasn't intentional. I just let the battles play as itself, occasionally going through the menus to insure the AI don't kill themselves

IJoel

Wario64 said:
My highest combo is 27, but it wasn't intentional. I just let the battles play as itself, occasionally going through the menus to insure the AI don't kill themselves

Same here. My maximum is 31 so far I think.

Gruco

Banned
Normally have Presea, Regal, and Zelos wail on the enemy while going to Sonic Sword Rain and Tempest Beast with Lloyd. My highest was 38.

My all time max is over 50. It's not too hard late in the game. If you fight with a lot of close up characters and one magic user, like Lloyd+Presea+Regal+Genis, and the characters attack with good timing, you can basically create a never ending combo. This works best on enemies big enough to take the damage but not strong enough to mess you up (i.e. not bosses).

kiryogi

Banned
70+ here. Lloyd, Refill, Genius, Presea. (Against 3rd sword dancer) I usually use the uattacks to get the huge count. (I usually have Lloyd, Refill, Shihna, Zelos for all other purposes)

edit: just checked. 77 hits. XD (I think ive done 80-90, but those times I got killed D: )

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
:eek:

I barely ever reach the 20's, my max is 24 irrc. But then again, im ~24 hours in.

My group is usually Lloyr, raine, colette & presea/zelos/regal, good or bad? I could probably not use raine in the field or when i know that standard enemies in the dungeons are not so tough, but a boss without her is too costly :p

etiolate

Banned
So far my highest is a 24 hit combo. I learned to let the other characters take a few wacks and start hitting when their combo is about to finish so they can attack again before I'm done.

45 hit combo against a dragon. My previous best was in the 20s. Raining Tiger Bladehelps rack up combos. After I got that move as well as Ray and Gravity Well, I usually have racked up at least 22 most fights.

Later got a 63 against Abyssion. Prism Star (Tidal Wave/Ray) helps.

AniHawk

39 hits. Zelos and Lloyd kept alternating between Zelos's 6 attack combos, + Lloyd's 4 basic attack combos, until the unison attack hit, and I used Beast Sword Rain + some stuff I had from Presea and Zelos, and Raine's Photon attack.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
46 back in hour 12 or so. I'm on hour 35 now and the closest I've got to that is 37. Once.

Mashing

I'll tell you once I stop getting my ass kicked in battles... I'm having a really tough time avoiding damage... I haven't gotten blocking down yet. I try to do a backstep when blocking but it doesn't do it consistently enough and I get hit.

About Unison Attacks...those are definitely part of the high combo strategy. Right at the end of the game, I discovered a special combo U.Attack between Genis and Raine. It happens when Raine uses Ray and Genis uses...I think Explosion, but it's one of his most powerful spells. They both cast their respective single spells, then join up for a retardedly powerful combo attack at the end. I killed the final boss in about three of those (took a while to fill up the meter twice, of course.)

What I did to maximize U.Attack usefulness is set up all the auto characters so that all four of their techs are set to their most powerful attack...the same on on all four directions. Then, when you hit Z and then strike with Lloyd's most powerful opener, you can just mash on the buttons and the other three characters will queue up their most powerful moves too. It takes out the hassle of trying to quickly remember which techs you had mapped to which directions.

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyboy117 said:
About Unison Attacks...those are definitely part of the high combo strategy. Right at the end of the game, I discovered a special combo U.Attack between Genis and Raine. It happens when Raine uses Ray and Genis uses...I think Explosion, but it's one of his most powerful spells. They both cast their respective single spells, then join up for a retardedly powerful combo attack at the end. I killed the final boss in about three of those (took a while to fill up the meter twice, of course.)

What I did to maximize U.Attack usefulness is set up all the auto characters so that all four of their techs are set to their most powerful attack...the same on on all four directions. Then, when you hit Z and then strike with Lloyd's most powerful opener, you can just mash on the buttons and the other three characters will queue up their most powerful moves too. It takes out the hassle of trying to quickly remember which techs you had mapped to which directions.

Prismic Stars :D It's basically Refill with Ray and Genius with any major elemental spel.l (Explosion, Indignation yadda yadda) The problem with this for me is that Ray sucks compared to Holy Lance D:

edit: However when you're setting up them, make sure you don't choose long attacks per person or that'd be wasteful of time and purpose.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Highest combo ive done was 89 hits, and It would have been higher if Sheena didnt slip out on overlimit mode at that last second. (different battle)

What I did was use "Sword Rain" with Llyod, while Presea uses a special attack right after that. Meanwhile Genis and Raine are should be casting photon/another spell right about now. At this time do another "Sword Rain" and right before it ends go into a unision attack.

Again use Llyods "Sword Rain"
Presea "Use any spell doesnt matter at this point"
Raine "Photon/Ray"
Genis " Ground Dasher"

Photon/Ray + Ground Dasher = An extra attack called Prism

Tamanon

Banned
My max is about 57. It was a Tiger Blade Rain/Genis' Gravity Well followed by a Unison attack ending with Colette and Raine's Photon Whirlwind. I can usually hit that with most creatures.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Question, if Genis has Spread, can he learn Aqua Laser? Do I have to "Forget" Spread first?

Top Bottom