• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos: Io Interactive leading charge towards PS3/XB2, Core on PSP

GDGF

Soothsayer
naz said:
It seems the media also loves the exclude Nintendo

No one knows what the hell Nintendo is doing with the Revolution.

You aren't going to see any announcements (save for the occasional nod from a big japanese company close to Nintendo) until E3.

GDGF

Soothsayer
naz said:
I'm getting anything but Nintendo next gen :D

Next gen is going to be the first time since the 16-bit days that I owned two competing consoles. I gotta have my Nintendo (hell, my library has always been like 90% Nintendo games since the NES days) but it's becoming pretty apparent that to get the bulk of my third party fix (even if that is a bit of an oxymoron in context) that I'll have to get a PS3 as well.

jarrod

Banned
Defensor said:
Wow, why are these developers that announce next gen plans exclude Nintendo's next console :/
They're excluding Nintendo's next portable also... funny you'd think they'd at least support the market leader there? :/

SantaC

jarrod said:
They're excluding Nintendo's next portable also... funny you'd think they'd at least support the market leader there? :/

the trend of ignoring Nintendo in the media is getting really lame imo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I kinda agree. You'd think someone would talk, or put a positive spin, or be enthused, at least about GBA, especially now that they have those really great commercials for it. That's some of the best marketing out there right now, there no way to deny that, and yet it's like the press doesn't even care...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SantaCruZer said:
In this case, it's not the media ignoring Nintendo, its a publisher.

So has Eidos not previously announced any sort of intent for support of the NDS?

SantaC

Marconelly said:
I kinda agree. You'd think someone would talk, or put a positive spin, or be enthused, at least about GBA, especially now that they have those really great commercials for it. That's some of the best marketing out there right now, there no way to deny that, and yet it's like the press doesn't even care...

Yes, and the trend has been there ever since Sony took total control over Nintendo, and MS made the appearance. It's like Media wants Nintendo to fail. It's pretty unfair.

Look at this scenario:

Media talks about Xbox2/PS3 & PSP => The casual gamers gets excited => The casual gamer buys MS and Sony stuff because the media indicated these are the cool things to own.

<=> Nintendo gets screwed.

SantaC

kaching said:
In this case, it's not the media ignoring Nintendo, its a publisher.

So has Eidos not previously announced any sort of intent for support of the NDS?

I was speaking generally. How many next-gen articles have mentioned Nintendo as a great contender really?

1st Born

I don't like gambling, but if I was a gambling man. I would bet the farm on the Nintendo Revolution.

Two things Nintendo needs to do; Ethernet port out of the box (which should incould LAN-play and some way to play Revolution games over the internet) AND Capcom.

They have everything in place if they continue of the path of making Metroid and Zelda their flagship franchises.

SantaCruZer said:
Yes, and the trend has been there ever since Sony took total control over Nintendo, and MS made the appearance. It's like Media wants Nintendo to fail. It's pretty unfair.

Look at this scenario:

Media talks about Xbox2/PS3 & PSP => The casual gamers gets excited => The casual gamer buys MS and Sony stuff because the media indicated these are the cool things to own.

That's why its up to Nintendo to get the hype going for them again. Lots of marketing is a way to do that. They could start hyping the Revolution also. They're too quite about stuff, which is why the media focuses on Sony and MS since they talk about their hardware and do lots of hyping of existing hardware and software.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
SantaCruZer said:

Look at this scenario:

yeah, blame it on the media that Nintendo has been a complete basketbase in the home console market these last two generations...

*cancels Revolution pre-order*

Some of that is Nintendo's fault, though. If you want to be mysterious about everything and don't give the press something to chew on, don't be surprised when they ignore you.

As for the portable market, I don't think there's really a lot of mainstream hype over DS or PSP yet.

Deg

Banned
With the media it depends who deals with content.

This is Eidos so dont be surprised if they cut Nintendo out. Bear in mind Nintendo have been the most qiet about next gen so far. Possibly due to DS. They cared more about NGage then they did GBA. Which isnt a good sign for them. I read in the newspaper the other day that their sales were lower than expected. Another Acclaim? TS3 is with EA now... Anyway Eidos is one of the loved because they are British companies in the UK.

SantaC

Catchpenny said:
Some of that is Nintendo's fault, though. If you want to be mysterious about everything and don't give the press something to chew on, don't be surprised when they ignore you.

As for the portable market, I don't think there's really a lot of mainstream hype over DS or PSP yet.

I agree some of it are Nintendos own fault. They could be more aggressive and more outspoken.

But sometimes Sony & MS gets "free rides" from the media.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
No actually... and they didn't support GBA either. They were behind N-Gage from day one however with Tomb Raider. :/

SantaCruZer said:
It's like Media wants Nintendo to fail. It's pretty unfair.
Well now that Sega's gone, they need someone else to kick around. :p

SantaCruZer said:
I agree some of it are Nintendos own fault. They could be more aggressive and more outspoken.

But sometimes Sony & MS gets "free rides" from the media.

It's because Nintendo doesn't seem like they actually want to compete with Sony or MS. They seem to be like that kid in school that purposely excludes themself from everyone else. So the media basically ignores them and focuses on the Sony and MS since they want to be noticed. Nintendo needs to start marketing their games alot and start letting little pieces of info on the Revolution out.

Deg

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's because Nintendo doesn't seem like they actually want to compete with Sony or MS. They seem to be like that kid in school that purposely excludes themself from everyone else. So the media basically ignores them and focuses on the Sony and MS since they want to be noticed. Nintendo needs to start marketing their games alot and start letting little pieces of info on the Revolution out.

You're only kidding yourself if you think they arent competing wth GC. Then again you make posts like this ALL the time.

Deg said:
You're only kidding yourself if you think they arent competing wth GC. Then again you make posts like this ALL the time.

I didn't say that Nintendo wasn't competing with the GC. I'm saying that Nintendo seems to have a different way of approaching stuff compared to Sony and MS. Those companies seem to like to be upfront with everything, constantly hyping and pushing products, having small pieces of info come out on their machines so that the media has something to talk about, talking about their own next gen plans ect. Nintendo seems to like to keep everything quite right till the announcement/release of their products. That basically stops alot of the pre hype that the media does. All i'm saying is that Nintendo needs to start being alot more vocal, like Sony and MS are. The way they're treating the DS for example is exactly how they should approach the Revolution. They didn't cut Sony any slack with the PSP, so Sony's going to have a much harder time getting into the handheld market with Nintendo standing right up to them in that market.

Deg

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I didn't say that Nintendo wasn't competing with the GC. I'm saying that Nintendo seems to have a different way of approaching stuff compared to Sony and MS. Those companies seem to like to be upfront with everything, constantly hyping and pushing products, having small pieces of info come out on their machines so that the media has something to talk about, talking about their own next gen plans ect. Nintendo seems to like to keep everything quite right till the announcement/release of their products. That basically stops alot of the pre hype that the media does. All i'm saying is that Nintendo needs to start being alot more vocal, like Sony and MS are. The way they're treating the DS for example is exactly how they should approach the Revolution. They didn't cut Sony any slack with the PSP, so Sony's going to have a much harder time getting into the handheld market with Nintendo standing right up to them in that market.

Thats better. You didnt say that earlier. Bear in mind with PSP there are amazingly people who think GBA owners will just dissapear when PSP comes out. According to much of the UK media and games induustry anyway.

jarrod

Banned
Deg said:
According to much of the UK media and games induustry anyway.
No surprise there, the UK's always had an aversion to Nintendo for some reason. They'll jump on the first viable competitor no matter the market...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think it's a combination of several things, not the least of which being that Nintendo is a Japanese company, and the US media just doesn't like talking too much about Japanese companies in general. Sony is, of course, a Japanese company as well, but I'd bet not too many common people on the street even knows that, and Sony is partially a US company as well, due to it's heavy multi-national presence and the ownership of Columbia, etc. The other thing, obviously, is that Nintendo does seem a bit too secretive. It works for Apple (American company) but it's not really going to the Nintendo's favour, it seems.

The whole thing does remind a bit of the lack of positive exposure that Sega had problem with (again, a too Japanese company). People often used to say that Sony got free points with the press, etc. but it's just that they built that kind image (it took them years to do so). The kind of image that makes global media write about them. Microsoft did the same over the years, so of course they get the coverage. And when they don't get good coverage - they pay for it and make it happen (yes, MS actually had a whole thing going on with some Ad agency who was secretly mailing media editors and writing positive stories about them during their days of battling with the DOJ, leaked documents in NY Times clearly outlined the whole ordeal)

Now you get to the point that you can only give that much coverage to the gaming scene and you do it to companies that are already more talked about, same behavior kinda maps to PR agencies, and from there to other game publisher high-ups who order their developers what to make games for.

Thats better. You didnt say that earlier. Bear in mind with PSP there are amazingly people who think GBA owners will just dissapear when PSP comes out. According to much of the UK media and games induustry anyway.
Funny as it sounds (and I'll be the first to admit that it never even crosses my mind that PSP can sell better than GBA:SP) I've seen this "sell your Gamboys and wait for PSP" theme being mentioned on in several magazines. True, not in the gaming magazines, but I did see it in some tech/lifestyle/gadgets magazines.

Deg

Banned
Marconelly said:
Funny as it sounds (and I'll be the first to admit that it never even crosses my mind that PSP can sell better than GBA:SP) I've seen this "sell your Gamboys and wait for PSP" theme being mentioned on in several magazines. True, not in the gaming magazines, but I did see it in some tech/lifestyle/gadgets magazines.

LOL. The lifestyle tech mags mention Gizmondo, DS, PSP, Gametrac, N-Gage 2, basically anything game related as being great. One of the ones i read did mention they didnt think GBA was going to get dethroned at all but there should be some space for other handhelds to exist. At least they dont have pages and pages of a crap editorial to read through :p

Top Bottom