• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Shadow of the Erdtree will get?

• 0-65%

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 94 57.0%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 39 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WnFnm5F.jpeg

Saber

Eurogamer gave it a 3/5 lol. IGN already hard at work.

Gonna guess the reason is pretty much aligned with what another reviewer said about it:

Elden Ring's big expansion just adds more beautiful brutality and action RPGing carnage to its already-tough base. Shadow of the Erdtree is meant to test the mettle of the game's hardcore audience and isn't going to let up soon. This isn't going to change your mind about From Software's approach to its dungeon crawlers: it's either "get good" or go home and it intends to keep the messaging that way with its Shadow of the Erdtree expansion.
The expansion's new offerings and updates, as well as epic boss fights, are still as grand and challenging as ever to the point that you may see optional boss Malenia (both versions) from the base game as a "walk in the park".

Interesting for sure because this varies depending on what you read. Some outlets are saying 25 hours and then this one is 65 hours and half the size of Elden Ring base game lol.

The map I saw certainly looked a little larger than Limgrave but definitely not half the size of Elden Ring. The base game is fucking monstrous.

GrayChild

Interesting for sure because this varies depending on what you read. Some outlets are saying 25 hours and then this one is 65 hours and half the size of Elden Ring base game lol.

The map I saw certainly looked a little larger than Limgrave but definitely not half the size of Elden Ring. The base game is fucking monstrous.

What I get from the reviews I checked is that a lot of people might skip tons of hidden/optional content (and of course certain players being stuck on a boss for a longer period of time). Iron Pineapple's review states most of the content is well hidden and completely optional to progress (just like Miquella's Halligtree, The Great Hollow/Ash Lake etc.) Also, due to the greatly increased verticality and much denser map, there's a lot more to uncover. One of the Polish reviews (GRYOnline.PL) also mentions over 60 hours of content:

Do you know what is the main strength of Shadow of the Erdtree? That after over 60 hours of trials and tribulations, and all the curses screamed at the screen, I want to keep playing. The expansion to Elden Ring is a complete piece of work that leaves you wanting more.

In any case, FROMSoftware have another winner on their hands.

GHG

It has a lower score than the base game on both on OpenCritic and Metacritic, so, I'm assuming it's nothing ground-breaking. Eurogamer is one of the few non-biased, trusted media outlets, so them giving it a 3/5 is rather concerning.

Whose alt is this?

What I get from the reviews I checked is that a lot of people might skip tons of hidden/optional content (and of course certain players being stuck on a boss for a longer period of time). Iron Pineapple's review states most of the content is well hidden and completely optional to progress (just like Miquella's Halligtree, The Great Hollow/Ash Lake etc.) Also, due to the greatly increased verticality and much denser map, there's a lot more to uncover. One of the Polish reviews (GRYOnline.PL) also mentions over 60 hours of content:

In any case, FROMSoftware have another winner on their hands.
Thanks for providing a bit more insight, I didn't know it had more verticality to it. I'm also wondering if we're going to get more underground cities and areas like Siofra River and Nokron. Hopefully we do but I guess we'll find out this weekend! Can't fucking wait to play.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So the DLC for the game that felt like two games grafted together is actually a full game? Neat.

bender

What time is it?
It has a lower score than the base game on both on OpenCritic and Metacritic, so, I'm assuming it's nothing ground-breaking. Eurogamer is one of the few non-biased, trusted media outlets, so them giving it a 3/5 is rather concerning.

I too was expecting a futuristic racer/RTS hybrid with a strong emphasis on romance mechanics. Learn to expansion pack, Hidetaka.

Antwix

Reviews don't matter for this. The fact is that it's more Elden Ring with (probably) greater challenges. If you like Elden Ring, 99.9% are going to be thrilled to journey through it. If someone doesn't like Elden Ring, theyre not going to change their mind playing through this dlc. Simple as that.

Caio

Lower score by 1 point, a DLC...
Congrats, you won "worse and most mindless post of the Day"

gow3isben

Should have added like 20 more hours of content and released it next year as Elden Ring 2 honestly would give them better returns and it would be one of next year’s GOTYs

Last edited:

Caio

My personal favorite edit
(Though there was one that was meant to copy the “fight like hell” trailer but “fight like polygon”
I cant find it anymore

Oh my gosh, this is even more hilarious.

I'm still laughing, that was embarassing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Do we have info of length? 30h?40h?

what lvl I need to be to start it?
150 at most.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

150 at most.
Does NG+ impact the expansion levels by default? I assume the same rules as the main game.

Do we have info of length? 30h?40h?
what lvl I need to be to start it?
I'm probably going to go into it at around level 110-120. It would probably be very difficult to defeat Mohg (required to even access the DLC) at a level much lower than that for the average player anyway.

I bet it depends on if there is some secret underground (or way above ground) map. That’s an easy 2x map size if so.

Top Bottom