• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem - Tobey feat. Big Sean & BabyTron. New album July 12

Wunray

Listened to the album would rate this a 8. Favorite song on this is fuel followed by Tobey. Better than his last but obviously not among his top 3.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
week wife GIF

Puts on Common & Pete Rock

I have an hour drive to the work and will be listening to it this morning…as a huge early Em fan, and not so much with his last 8+ albums, this is the first time in a long time I’m looking forward to his album.

DosGamer

Long time Eminem fan. This album is fanservice to early adopters of his style. I love the fact that the album tells a story where Eminem battles this alter ego and while his early self made headlines for lyrical content, his older self realizes the maturity and he morphs to a real lyricist. It's paying homage to his craft and his career.
9/10.
Also, the Save Me intro hits hard and if you have ever known anybody that suffers/ed from addiction, ... you can really feel that intro.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Oh man this album is awful, like actually shits on his legacy in a really meta way, by reducing the Slim Shady character to some shallow immature attention-seeker with nothing real to say.

It's like yelling "retard doodie midget" and bitching about "kids today" while literal "PC Cops" chase him around. Like it's obsessed with this idea of being cancelled or muzzled that makes no sense because he's Eminem and he can say whatever the fuck he wants obviously he just has nothing to say except about what he thinks he can't say.

To call it corny would be really underselling it, it's like the rap equivalent of those fake stock photo Netflix specials.

StEbr0a.png

And probably the worst thing is that is really isn't funny, like you can't do shock humor if it isn't shocking and Em doesn't seem to really know how to do anything but recycle the same sort of blood and gore and celebrity references that he was doing in 2002. There's like literally more than 10 Caitlyn Jenner lines. Going after the tough targets as ever, eh Marshall?

He sounds as crisp as ever, musically it's pretty good if a bit retro, but I'm really struggling with how cringe and corny he has made Shady. Maybe that's the point, to say this shit is played out? If so then point taken.

Last edited:
The highest selling hip hop artist of all time is a horrorcore rapper from Detroit.

50+ and still no one can touch him lyrically

Best album since Relapse.

No.1 in every western country

Covered Jellyroll++++++

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Long time Eminem fan. This album is fanservice to early adopters of his style. I love the fact that the album tells a story where Eminem battles this alter ego and while his early self made headlines for lyrical content, his older self realizes the maturity and he morphs to a real lyricist. It's paying homage to his craft and his career.
9/10.
Also, the Save Me intro hits hard and if you have ever known anybody that suffers/ed from addiction, ... you can really feel that intro.
I actually think the album is weak towards the end as it goes into the "more mature Em"
And it sounds like Em thinks he is too mature for the Slim Shady stuff and it needs to die.
Thing is Slim is better regardless if he is rapping about Midgets or Christopher Reeves.
If this is his last Album then cool, but he can't come back after this with what he been producing the last ten years, it took weak.
The Idea that the Houdini video put with combining the two Egos was the way to go, sadly Em didn't do that.
Its definitely his best work in the last decade.

Soodanim

I listened to Tobey once and it was boring modern stuff. I will give the album a listen, but judging by opinions so far I don't think I'm going to get much out of it.

Woggleman

The sad thing is that he is talented but he chooses to waste it on shock value. It almost sounds like he is begging people to try and cancel him so his name is in the news. His most popular song is Lose Yourself and that should tell him something.

Top Bottom