• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ethical dilemma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilbert

Let's say that you happen to be a reasonably good-looking young man who can sing his ass off -- Josh Groban or JC Chasez, for example. Or, you are reasonably good-looking, can sing AND can dance -- Justin Timberlake, for example.

Here's the question: Do you use your talent to make lots of money (and 10-year-old female fans) by performing crappy, schmaltzy music? Or do you refuse to sell your soul to the corporate machine and turn your back on fame and fortune?

Given how indie-cred-crazy the guys on this board are, this ought to be interesting....

Saturnman

Banned
My songs would have a positive message. That way, I can sell out and laugh all the way to the bank with a clear conscience.

I'd do what made me happy. But I'd have to do whatever paid the bills too. But if I wasn't happy doing it I would go into a different career.

Go for the cash and the chicks! Think N'Sync and Backstreet Boys care about people making fun of them, calling them shallow sellouts? They're too busy sitting on their gold yachts getting fed grapes but 18yr old girls.

White Man

I'd take the sell-out in a minute. I would live an utterly perverted and decadent life. All the floors and ceilings in my very gothic mansion would be made of glass, and I'd pay fat chicks to have sex on the top floor.

It would be, uh, elegant and erotic, in a John Waters sort of way. I'd probably also try to form some sort of cult.

White Man said:
I'd take the sell-out in a minute. I would live an utterly perverted and decadent life. All the floors and ceilings in my very gothic mansion would be made of glass, and I'd pay fat chicks to have sex on the top floor.

It would be, uh, elegant and erotic, in a John Waters sort of way. I'd probably also try to form some sort of cult.

I'd Join

mrmyth

-jinx- said:
Let's say that you happen to be a reasonably good-looking young man who can sing his ass off -- Josh Groban or JC Chasez, for example. Or, you are reasonably good-looking, can sing AND can dance -- Justin Timberlake, for example.

Here's the question: Do you use your talent to make lots of money (and 10-year-old female fans) by performing crappy, schmaltzy music? Or do you refuse to sell your soul to the corporate machine and turn your back on fame and fortune?

Given how indie-cred-crazy the guys on this board are, this ought to be interesting....

Josh Groban isn't even human, let alone reasonably good looking. No human can produce that voice. But he does have his own share of 10-year-old girl fans, along with the soccer moms who bring them to the concerts. They even follow him to different cities, and have a cute pet name for themselves(which I can't recall.)
Long story short, if you can truly sing, you can still make a nice living and keep your soul. Unless you never had a soul to begin with. Like Josh Groban.

its possible to make your own GOOD, popular and creative pop/r&b style music w/o having to sell out to the corporate machine and be an opinionless puppet (see Prince, Stevie Wonder, early Michael Jackson) so i don't see where the dilemma is.

mrmyth

Desperado said:
what do you mean by that?

The dude sounds like he has an opera hall built into his vocal chords. The fucking earth moves on some of his notes. If we shot Justin Timberlake into orbit and gave him a bullhorn he couldn't hit some of Josh Groban's notes. Its like Luciano Pavarotti mated with Barry White.

totoro'd

mrmyth said:
Josh Groban isn't even human, let alone reasonably good looking. No human can produce that voice. But he does have his own share of 10-year-old girl fans, along with the soccer moms who bring them to the concerts. They even follow him to different cities, and have a cute pet name for themselves(which I can't recall.)

Grobanites. Josh Groban's voice gives me orgasms

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ninja Scooter said:
its possible to make your own GOOD, popular and creative pop/r&b style music w/o having to sell out to the corporate machine and be an opinionless puppet (see Prince, Stevie Wonder, early Michael Jackson) so i don't see where the dilemma is.

option C: Become musical prodigy/genius and change the landscape of pop music forever.

No record company would allow you to change somthing that makes then wheelbarrow's full of teeny-bopper cash. Sell out when you can, but only on a short contract with no future stipulations.

White Man

Eventually I would get sick of the US's repressive tax laws against the righteously wealthy. I would purchase a villa in France, where I would eat McDonald's cookies and drink wine purchased from WalMart, a la my idol The Dark Gentleman .

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Here is Mr Pockets 5 point plan to sell out success

1 - Sellout for as much cash as you can with a short a contract as you can get away with.

2 - Work through your contract doing whatever they say and then DO NOT renew/resign

3 - Take a year off and enjoy your freedom and spend some money, travel, etc

4 - Start appearing on talk shows, radio, etc and talk about how corporate music stifled your creativity and ruined your career

5 - Launch a comback tour doing things "your way"

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom