• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU and US have no "common position" on Russia, says top EU leader Donald Tusk

Tovarisc

EU and US have no "common position" on Russia, says top EU leader Donald Tusk after talks with President Trump

Nato has agreed to Mr Trump's request to join the US-led coalition against so-called Islamic State.

But he may also press members to pay their full financial share.

For the American president, it is also a chance to meet several EU leaders for the first time, including France's new President, Emmanuel Macron.

The atmosphere between the US conservative and the French centrist appeared strained when they met at the US embassy.

The two leaders clasped each other's hands, leaning in towards each other slightly. Mr Trump started to pull away, but Mr Macron held on tighter and refused to let him go, the BBC's Tara McKelvey reports.

Is Russia on the agenda?

After meeting Mr Trump, European Council President Donald Tusk said they had agreed on "many areas" but had differences over Russia.

"I'm not 100% sure we can say that we have a common position, a common opinion on Russia, although when it comes to the conflict on Ukraine we were on the same line," he said.

Will Nato be doing more to defeat IS?

The Nato gathering will see the alliance agree to a US plan for Nato to take a bigger role in the fight against Islamist militants, particularly IS, but France and Germany insist the move is mostly symbolic.

Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Nato states would contribute more in terms of information-sharing and air-to-air refuelling.

"This will send a strong political message of Nato's commitment to the fight against terrorism and also improve our co-ordination within the coalition but it does not mean that Nato will engage in combat operations," he said.

Ahead of Thursday's meetings, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told reporters that Mr Trump "really wants to persuade Nato members to step up and fully meet their obligations".

He added: "I think you can expect the president to be very tough on them."

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europ...ng&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

--------

r
r

r
r
Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...e5dc&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Video: https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/867735729958510592

------

ycGKCZM.png

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/867703933946515457

mclem

The two leaders clasped each other's hands, leaning in towards each other slightly. Mr Trump started to pull away, but Mr Macron held on tighter and refused to let him go, the BBC's Tara McKelvey reports.

Macron did his research.

I don't know why, but that second picture of Macron looking Donald dead in the eye reminds me of Dutch from Predator. You can feel the tenseness emanating from that handshake.

Tovarisc

I don't know why, but that picture of Macron looking Donald dead in the eye reminds me of Dutch from Predator. You can feel the tenseness emanating from that handshake.

I wonder how much Trump endorsing right wing Le Pen plays into how Macron approached that handshake. He knows Trump wanted to see Le Pen in that seat.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Trump thinking to himself "Why isn't he letting my hand go? Can he feel how small it is? Maybe if I loosen my grip? No? God help me."

I would be shocked if Trumps legacy doesn't include damage and if not ending almost a hundred years of good will and friendship with allies across the world.

Dehnus

Ulala, it's a French victory in the international manicurial cup.:p.

It almost feels like Macron isn't even trying ;), as Trump :"I wanna go home! Where are my 2 scoops!"

But hey US, do please be "really tough on us.", that certainly will go over well when the European countries present you with a bill for the refugee crisis.

Hmmm? Doesn't let go while facing camera like nothing is wrong,Doubting between Le Pitbull Macron and La Terrier Macron :p. The second sounds cuter :p.

Breads

Banned
It's nice to see people outdo Trump's handshake.

Not as clever as Trudeu grabbing Trump by the arm but out aggroing Trump works just the same.

Dascu

He's just spent half of his speech complaining about NATO's financing and making snide remarks. He also praised the King of Saudi-Arabia as 'wise man' and helpful ally in fight against terrorism.

Tovarisc

He's just spent half of his speech complaining about NATO's financing and making snide remarks. He also praised the King of Saudi-Arabia as 'wise man' and helpful ally in fight against terrorism.

Also not once said that US stands by Article 5, huge miss step. Then gave NATO / NATO leaders a lot shit about building new HQ.

That speech was overall quite big failure.

Embarrassing really.

Azuran

Banned

I'm not even American and I'm fucking embarrassed like never before.

It's still so unbelievable how stupid and out of his league that man is.

Dehnus

It's nice to see people outdo Trump's handshake.

Not as clever as Trudeu grabbing Trump by the arm but out aggroing Trump works just the same.

After the way he pulled other people towards him during the campaign and the way he rough housed the Japanese Prime Minister?

This became mandatory in the job description for every European Prime minister:

Except for Merkel, she crushed him already with her mind:

frontovik

Banned
Well, they shouldn't. Especially since the EU member states have Russia as its neighbour.

No need to be the US' bootlick.

Vagabundo

Every leader is now briefed on how to dominate Trump with the initial handshake. Trumps weak 70 year old grip just cant handle it.

Images from the photo session at the U.S. ambassador's residence in Brussels showed Trump finally giving up, his fingers loosened while Macron is still holding on tightly.

WEAK!

Top Bottom