• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooker

Alucard said:
I'm rooting for Germany to take it all.
Bah! :mad:

Ronaldo did waste a lot of chances, but that's more because he isn't used to Pauletta and Nuno Gomez who always choose the close corner while Van Nistelrooy always chooses the far corner.

cja

Hooker said:
Ronaldo did waste a lot of chances, but that's more because he isn't used to Pauletta and Nuno Gomez who always choose the close corner while Van Nistelrooy always chooses the far corner.
Yep, it was getting pretty comical by the end. He's been coached all year that if he's on the left side and left foot to stand it up to the far post since Ruud will be pulling off the ball and if he isn't Giggs, who he'd have swopped wings with, or Scholes may be making a late run for a tap-in. You have to wonder how much of a footballing brain the kid has to consistently knock it into that space when no-one is there.

Thought Pauletta and Nuno Gomez, when he came on, were poor. They look like strikers who want the ball to feet and space to run into. The whole Portugese team look natural counter-attackers but when the onus is on them they seem to fall down.

Greece looked very solid and beat Spain in the qualifiers away so must have a great chance to reach the last eight now. Rooting for Russia next, come on the underdogs :)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
The whole Portugese team look natural counter-attackers but when the onus is on them they seem to fall down.

Could not agree more.

Funnily enough, this was also my opinion of Silas's performance for Wolves for the whole of last season, We needed a damn sight more than just "potential" and he just never delivered. (Although thats a charge that could be levelled at most of the side :p)

Freeburn.

I'd say Ronaldo was the best player on the Portugese side. He should have been part of the starting line up, I've always been a huge fun of Nuno Gomez as well, he just came on too late and as for the rest of the team they sucked.

I want the coach fired.

Trevelyon

Speaking of coaches, how about Rehhagel going nuts in the last few minutes, I was thinking.. mate your team's 2-0 up relax! then Renaldo scored.

hehe poor guy. :p

Ryck

AGhghghghh Im stuck at work ............oh and I don't know shit about portugal's team , but the Ronaldo you guys are talking about is a different Ronaldo not the once best player in the world Ronaldo is it?

Hooker

Dude, this tourny is EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP 2004.

The Ronaldo you've got in your mind is a Brazileño, that's South America

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Hooker said:
Russia is looking REAL shitty man.

This looks like it's going to be a shootout :(

As expected, things return to normal :)

(Although some would say Portugal losing *is* normal :p)

Freeburn.

Once again, Portugal underwhelms. Their golden generation is completely done.

As for Spain, they shouldn't have much trouble pulling out the win in this one, especially with Russia missing a couple of key players.

Trevelyon

Russia had an pretty good run through the qualifiers, I think they topped their group over the Swiss & Irish (dammit) so it'll be interesting to see what Russians are capable of.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
How did Spain fail to put *that* in the net???

I can see another upset here, Spain should have scored by now.

Freeburn.

Hooker

Wow, Russia is showing Spain what they're made of... I like it :D!!

Meier should have carded the player holding Alenitjev (sp?) down though. The Russians can do nothing and are shown a card (Fucking Exteberria asking for them, I already hate his ass)

Falch

Yeah, Russia isn't the push-over it seemed to be in the first 10 minutes. Luckily though. I hope they kick some spanish ass, that would make Group 1 even more interesting. :D

Referee isn't really that great. 4 Russian yellow cards already.

Socreges

Banned
HOW FUCKING STUPID IS TSN

IF YOU'RE GOING TO AIR A REPEAT OF THE FIRST GAME AFTER THE SECOND, DO NOT SUDDENLY TALK ABOUT THE WINNER OF THE FIRST DURING THE SECOND

GAHHHHH

Ah well. Still, really fucking stupid.

Ryck said:
AGhghghghh Im stuck at work ............oh and I don't know shit about portugal's team , but the Ronaldo you guys are talking about is a different Ronaldo not the once best player in the world Ronaldo is it?

No its a fake portugese (< how the fuck do you write that) Ronaldo. He is supposed to be a supertalent but he's real name ain't even Ronaldo.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Cold Shadow said:
No its a fake portugese (< how the fuck do you write that) Ronaldo. He is supposed to be a supertalent but he's real name ain't even Ronaldo.

I'd hardly say 'fake'.

It has long been a Portuguese footballing tradition for some players to 'take' the names of their Brazilian heroes. It even led to the Portuguese coach passing Silas up when they wanted him becuase they thought he was Brazillian.

Freeburn.

ourumov

We won. It's a pity Fernando Torres hasn't scored. He is a much better player than Raul or Morientes... Anyways, thanks Mantequilla !!!!!

(Mantequilla is the name we give to Valeron)

Hooker

I don't think they deserved it. They played nasty, falling down and asking for cards all the time. That seriously pisses me off. The ref wasn't any good either :/

Solid

So I watched the two games. The first one was quite entertaining. Too bad Portugal lost, but they didn't play as good as they can so I guess they got what they deserved. Ronaldo was great though, too bad he was the one who fix the penalty for Greece.

I'm glad Spain won. And Torres really deserves a goal. It's always great when youngsters scores :D

Anyway, I can barely wait till tomorrow. France-England. What a match! :)

ourumov

I pretty much agree with you. The only players I think that played well were Puyol, Vicente, Etxebarría annd Valeron...(Vicente was the best man on the team)
All the others were pretty much inexistant...
I hope the next match starts with Xavi and Torres on the initial team...

Solid

ourumov: You're from Spain right? What does "pota madre" mean? I see every player say that when they miss a chance. Torres did it too when he missed that chance at the very end of the game. I wonder what it means :)

Falch

Referee was biased towards Spain in my eyes. Russia should have gotten a draw, spain defense isn't that good.

Raul and Morientes were average. Valeron scored within 30 seconds of his entry. :D Torres was pretty good too, and so was Vicente. Etxebarria was only got in the first 20 minutes or so.

Round two in Group A is going to be dynamite. Portugal - Russia, a fight for survival, and Spain - Greece, a fight for the certainty of the semi's. :D

ourumov

I think you mean "puta madre"...
Well, it can be used in 2 different contexts...One is to express enjoyment for sth, the other to express a deception. It deppends on the entonation.

puta=whore
madre=mother

mother whore ?

Falch

hehe, Valeron gave me my first points in the Fantasy Football game. :D Too bad he didn't play atleast 60 minutes, I would have gotten even more points.

Solid

Aha, so it's like when you say "motherfucker" in english? You know if you're angry and things don't go the way you planned it too you usually say that. I take it potu madre is something like it?

Nice too know what it means. But that's not a good message for kids ;)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
My predictions for Tomorrows matches:

Switzerland vs. Croatia: 1-1 draw.
England vs. France: 3-1 win to England :D

Freeburn.

cja

Thought Spain thoroughly deserved their victory. Russia didn't really impose themselves on the game other than the fifteen minutes towards half-time. The Spanish attacking movement just drew foul after foul from a stretched and depleted Russian defence. Really liked the old fashioned wingers in Vicente and Etxeberria.

The ref was a bit card happy but there were some cynical body checks and shirt tugging. Personally I prefer to see yellow cards for the blatant stuff rather than when a defender genuinely tries to win the ball in a slide tackle and just times it wrong.

Not going to give predictions for France vs England, could go either way for me, both defenses look the weakest part of the teams. Nice if Switzerland and Croatia were to draw, if England lose they'll still have decent chance of going through. :)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, a win for either Switzerland or Croatia would give them a chance to proceed and put pressure on both France & England. I'd like a draw in that match :)

My prediction of course is fanboy based optimism, it really could go either way, I just don't want to accept that :p

Freeburn.

Hooker

Croatia - Switserland, win for Croatia. Don't ask me by which numbers.

France - England, no idea. I think France will win because their players are just a bit better. But England's fighting spirit may give them the upper hand. I do know that someone will leave the game with a red card. I'm rooting for Gerrard :p

Fifty said:
Yeah, because everyone knows that Italy plays the most exciting run and gun football in the world. :p
1) I asked if Italy was similar to Colorado and you said yes!

2) Italy will overpower them so much, they'll force the other team to start scoring on themselves, similar to the act of making someone slap themself with their own hand.

3) VIVA ITALIA

Kon Tiki

Banned
COCKLES said:
Anyone else noticed the Euro 2004 balls look like Samus's morphball form?

Reminds me of a Photoshop I did.

footy.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom