• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eventually earth is going to look like mars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we doomed once the magnetic fields that protects us from the radiation of the sun collapses?

Supporting NASA and space research is a good thing then?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Uhh, no. This has happened untold times over the course of the planet's history, and to my knowledge, Earth does not look like Mars. I suspect that pattern will hold true.

Phoenix

The earth's magnetic poles flip every so often. The worse we will get are more instances of skin cancer. The magnetic field isn't going to collapse and most of the radiation will be kept safely from us by the atmosphere. Considering that the field is nearing its flipping point, we are pretty much close to the worse case scenario already.

MaddenNFL64

I love that damn magnetic field. The Suns' radiation, and flares would have cooked us up, and stripped our atmosphere a long time ago.

YAY EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD! :D

BojTrek

Banned
"get your filthy paws off me... you damn dirty ape"

caesar-angry.jpg

Nah, the earth has much more of a chance that it'll end up like Venus, but you still have some billions of years. Light a cigarette.

Bregor

Actually, the Earth will end up as a burnt up cinder after the Sun enters it's red giant phase, but you have about 4 billion years before that's due to happen.

That does not even matter, seeing as our Galaxy is on a collision course with another galaxy ( I think it's Andromeda). We could definitely boil before the Sun even has a chance to boil us.

Bregor

6.8 said:
That does not even matter, seeing as our Galaxy is on a collision course with another galaxy ( I think it's Andromeda). We could definitely boil before the Sun even has a chance to boil us.

I don't know where you got this idea, but it's wrong.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
As if we won't end up destroying ourselves before then.

If we somehow survived that long, I'm sure we'd have the technology to leave this planet behind. We probably would have already.

I hope reincarnation is true, I want to see it.

Hcow

Bregor said:
I don't know where you got this idea, but it's wrong.

Well, the Milky Way is on a collision course with Andromeda. ETA 1 billion years. The chance that we'll hit something is slim to nil, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom