• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXPLOSION ARRAYYYY! Doom 3 hardware guide out!

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Mrbob said:
AA gimmick? Just need better coding?
Yeah... I personally think AA makes a big difference. The alpha is perfectly playable with 4x AA on my 9800 Pro.

Sander

My guess is that the drop to 7FPS with the 9800Pro as opposed to the 9800XT is because the Pro only has 128MB of RAM. Isn't HQ supposed to be for 256MB cards? A drop like that is exactly what happens when data can't be extracted from the ultra fast video memory and has to be transferred over the AGP BUS. Either that or it is simple a benchmark anomaly :p

dark10x said:
id software is incredible!
Yes :D

Neo_ZX

The overclocking comments were only regarding the GPU, right? I have a Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ oc'd to 3200+.

I OCing my mobile soon too. Hope I can get to 3200+ Can I ask what your vcore setting is?

I have an OCed 9500:275/270@9700:340/295 :(

I knew it would come back to haunt me one day.

Wow, I'm shocked at how little difference there is between High Quality and Ultra Quality on competent systems. Granted, the screenshots [H]ardOCP posted were all compressed JPEGs, but still...makes me very confident I will get a great experience on High Quality and that there's no need to upgrade (also makes me realize Far Cry looks pretty damn good compared to Doom 3).

Culex said:
Of course it will. What did you expect at 1600 x 1200? Six months ago, that resolution gaming was impossible or unplayable.

Not true. I've been gaming at 1600 for the past year on all PC games, with 4XAA and 8XAF. Of course, I can live with framerates in the 20-30 range in favor of the almighty IQ. :D

Yea, having played Far Cry with a 6.1 setup I highly recommend (if you can afford an extra $50-60) to pick up a little 5.1 setup like this. Your immersion is so much greater with even a low-budget surround sound setup. FarCry really has me hooked in that area, I can only imagine how great Doom 3 will be.

SantaC

wow I am set for 1024x768 high quality

p4 2.5
768 ram (this is border)
gf 6800 gt (yay)

bring on Doom3!

Ryu

Someone answer Doom_Bringer's question please as I am curious too. On top of that though, is there a diagram for how to setup those Logitech speakers? I'm just curious at how feasible a speaker set like that would be to set up in my room location wise and whatnot.

You guys really need to at least LOOK at the pictures of the item and READ the descriptions before posting. Jeez.

"Heart pounding 5.1 Surround Sound for PCs and video game consoles"

Showimage.asp

Ryu

Nice carmen electra desktop. Did you buy those speaker stands or did the set come with them? How much were they if you bought them seperately?

Tenguman

Ryu said:
Nice carmen electra desktop. Did you buy those speaker stands or did the set come with them? How much were they if you bought them seperately?

I think back in the day, they were like $50, but that was 3 years ago or so. You can probably find them cheaper

they fit a few different systems. The system on my computer are the Klipsch 5.1s

kipsmall.jpg

Thaedolus

You might want to try spreading your front speakers out a bit. I'm no expert, but I noticed a lot more stereo seperation when I either spread out the speakers from their positions on either side of my monitor, or at least turned them away from the monitor. Just a thought

Tenguman

Thaedolus said:
You might want to try spreading your front speakers out a bit. I'm no expert, but I noticed a lot more stereo seperation when I either spread out the speakers from their positions on either side of my monitor, or at least turned them away from the monitor. Just a thought
Yeah I know, but it's the limit that I can go really, no where else to put them.

DSN2K

move the desk slightly to the right,

then place the left speaker on that cuboard and the right on the TV top left edge :D

(facing towards you)

pestul

Tenguman said:
Looks like I'll be playing at 1280x1024 8x AF w/ everything on @ High Quality :D :D

Bring on Doom 3!
workstation_s.jpg
Why not play at 1280x960 (the true aspect ratio) and get even faster frame rate/less distortion?

Tenguman

pestul said:
Why not play at 1280x960 (the true aspect ratio) and get even faster frame rate/less distortion?
I might, I was merely commenting on the playable settings the article states for my system

I took a look at that hardware guide, and it said that John Carmack would come to my house and kick my ass if I tried to run Doom 3 on my PC.

:(

Dammmmn booooyyyyy, I was going to get a 3800 but looking at these results is making me think its not worth it. I want a 939 socket, and it looks like the 3500 is the most worthwhile.

1090787143TO62AMOEWX_16_2_l.gif

1090787143TO62AMOEWX_17_3_l.gif

Thaedolus

Here I was all thinking I would go buy myself a 5.1 system, when I just ghetto rigged two seperate sound systems to get 4.1 output from my SB Live

I'm so awesome. Some movie files I have now have true surround sound :O

Error Macro said:
I took a look at that hardware guide, and it said that John Carmack would come to my house and kick my ass if I tried to run Doom 3 on my PC.

:(

I dont think John Carmack could kick anyones ass dude

For the guys mentioning the speakers. Does the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers do hardware decoding like the GMX-D5.1s or the Z-680s of DD and Pro Logic 2?

Tenguman

DSN2K said:
move the desk slightly to the right,

then place the left speaker on that cuboard and the right on the TV top left edge :D

(facing towards you)
Well it's an old pic, so that dresser isn't there anymore, just empty space

Believe me, I've tried almost everything to get a better sound setup. This works best ;)

Tenguman

BigGreenMat said:
For the guys mentioning the speakers. Does the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers do hardware decoding like the GMX-D5.1s or the Z-680s of DD and Pro Logic 2?
No, I think the Ultras are still analog, but you can buy a seperate decoder at their store

I'm not really sure though

Mrbob

Slayers rox!

Well, Slayers and Slayers Next are cool. Slayers Try is dumb. Well, not really dumb, but all ideas have evaporated.

Anywho, why don't we compress all Doom 3 related material here instead of having 6000 different types of Doom 3 threads!

Yusaku

dark10x said:
id software is incredible! I can't believe they pulled all of that off! Though, it is now clear that Far Cry stands above Doom 3 in terms of "technical wiz-bang" features (based on various factors).

Are you high? There's nothing special about FarCry beyond its ability to render tons of foilage.

Yusaku

Bregor said:
Yes, most 9800 Pros have 128MB, All 9800 XT have 256 MB. As a result, the 9800 XT usually gets the High quality recommendation, while the 9800 Pro gets Medium.

They recomend High Quality for both the Pro and XT.

Yusaku

Wellington said:
What the... they didn't post 2500+ with a 9800. :(

I hope I can get 1024x768 with high quality. It'd be a shame if I can't because of my RAM (512MB) since I had to lower it from a GB for system stability.

If all else fails, I will go to plan B.

*pushes overclock button*

I got a 2800+ with a 9800 Pro and 1GB of RAM, I'm not to worried about running 1024x768 at High Quality.

Look at the 5700 Ultra on a 2500 and a 3200:

http://www2.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5MDc4NzE0M1RPNjJBTU9FV1hfNl8xX2wuZ2lm
http://www2.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5MDc4NzE0M1RPNjJBTU9FV1hfN181X2wuZ2lm

The 2500 atually had a HIGHER FPS with all other settings the same. Probably a fluke, but it doesn't look like it should be a problem.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are you high? There's nothing special about FarCry beyond its ability to render tons of foilage.

I'm talking about the f*cking 1.2 patch, which is fair game considering that represents the current Far Cry feature set. Surely you aren't foolish enough to suggest that Far Cry isn't using newer technology features...

MmmBeef

Neo_ZX said:
I OCing my mobile soon too. Hope I can get to 3200+ Can I ask what your vcore setting is?

The Athlon XP Mobile's default core is 1.45. On my Albatron KX18D Pro II (Nforce2 mobo) it defaulted to 1.55 and it's been running at 11x200Mhz FSB for months. No Prime95 errors, nothing. Even with my shitty HSF and no intake fans, it never gets above 55 degrees celcius under load. The Mobile XP is just an awesome chip.

Yusaku

dark10x said:
I'm talking about the f*cking 1.2 patch, which is fair game considering that represents the current Far Cry feature set. Surely you aren't foolish enough to suggest that Far Cry isn't using newer technology features...

Oh, you mean the patched that was so horribly botched they had to recall it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yusaku said:
Oh, you mean the patched that was so horribly botched they had to recall it?

So you enjoy dancing around the question when you are incorrect? The patch works perfectly on nVidia hardware.

Top Bottom