• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ezra Klein (Vox) Interview with Hillary

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

http://www.vox.com/a/hillary-clinton-interview/the-gap-listener-leadership-quality

This is not a profile of Hillary Clinton. It is not a review of her career or an assessment of her campaign. You won’t find any shocking revelations on her emails, on Benghazi, on Whitewater, or even on her health care plan.

This is an effort to answer a question I’ve been struggling with since at least 2008: Why is the Hillary Clinton described to me by her staff, her colleagues, and even her foes so different from the one I see on the campaign trail?

I’ve come to call it “the Gap.” There is the Hillary Clinton I watch on the nightly news and that I read described in the press. She is careful, calculated, cautious. Her speeches can sound like executive summaries from a committee report, the product of too many authors, too many voices, and too much fear of offense.

The Iraq War mars her record, and the private email server and the Goldman Sachs paydays frustrate even her admirers. Polls show most Americans doubt her basic honesty. Pundits write columns with headlines like “Why Is Clinton Disliked?”

And then there is the Hillary Clinton described to me by people who have worked with her, people I admire, people who understand Washington in ways I never will. Their Hillary Clinton is spoken of in superlatives: brilliant, funny, thoughtful, effective. She inspires a rare loyalty in ex-staff, and an unusual protectiveness even among former foes.

Obama administration officials, up to and including the president, badly want to see her win — there is something in the way she acted after the election, in the soldier she became and the colleague she showed herself to be, that has curdled the pride they felt in winning the 2008 primary into something close to guilt.

VHynQ1a.png

Full video interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VE9nihee7o

Table of contents:

0:00 Extreme poverty, welfare reform, and the working poor
6:08 Is it time for more deficit spending?
10:15 Would more immigration be good for the economy?
19:00 The difficulties of free college and universal healthcare
26:57 What skills does a president need that campaigns don’t test?
33:53 What’s on Hillary’s bookshelf?
38:26 Why America stopped trusting elites — and what elites should do about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom