• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F-16 footage over Fallujah

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Slurpy said:
Looks like there was ~40 ppl in that group.

Do people get off on this shit?

Duh, didn't you know they are fighting to protect our freedom by blowing up poor people around the world?

:rolleyes

calder

'oh dude' indeed. Well if it's footage of what it says (a city in open revolt) then you gotta know that it's not going to be a crowd of volunteers walking to the orphanage one night.

The attack looks a bit slow to be a jet though doesn't it?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
How do I know what they've done? How do I know the personal crime of each of those individuals, or if theyve even comitted one? I'm support to take the word of the administration? All I saw is a bunch of people getting massacred. Sometimes we have to step back, and take a look at our reactions, and the regard people have for human life.

bionic77

The worst is that footage of the Apache in Afghanistan that just guns down a bunch of people who were running away, made me sick to watch it. I really need to stop watching these war and execution videos, they always make me sick to my stomach after I see them. This one is pretty tame in comparison though.

Fallujah = city in Iraq

What you saw = a group of people getting decimated by an explosion.

I always wonder how these videos get on the Internet...

Thaedolus

A play by play account of what was going through my head:

Ok what am I watching here...
Looks like a group of people running down the street...
Why's there a target on them? Are they going to get blown up?
Man if they blow up those people, that'll piss me off...
*jaw falls open*

Doth Togo

MrAngryFace said:
echelon gets bored.

Speaking of, there's a Financial Times report that came out this week that talked in detail about Echelon. Said that it's primarily used in corporate espionage. I've also heard confirming reports from governmental officals that actually use the system. It's also, obviously, used in criminal investigations.

Corporate espionage. Go figure.

cvkpaladin said:
I always wonder how these videos get on the Internet...

When they went to Iraq, they used the oppoturnity as testing ground for their "Net" interweb where all forces have access to footage between each other(Air force, Military, Army, etc). So it's like a min-internet. All it takes is someone to make a copy.

As far as killing innocent people. Know one here knows who those people were in this video or the others floating around.

muncheese said:
When they went to Iraq, they used the oppoturnity as testing ground for their "Net" interweb where all forces have access to footage between each other(Air force, Military, Army, etc). So it's like a min-internet. All it takes is someone to make a copy.

As far as killing innocent people. Know one here knows who those people were in this video or the others floating around.

Wow. I work for a contractor to the Navy/Marines on NET/WARCOM stuff and never heard about it. Go figure. :p

I agree. When I see a report that says this 40 person group marching through the streets was a wedding party or something, then I'll be pissed. Until then, all I have to go by is the web site that hosts it which says that it is A GROUP OF INSURGENTS and my belief that they wouldn't just bomb them for fun (as in for a frivolous reason or on baseless intelligence).

Phoenix

The Fronde said:
I agree. When I see a report that says this 40 person group marching through the streets was a wedding party or something, then I'll be pissed. Until then, all I have to go by is the web site that hosts it which says that it is A GROUP OF INSURGENTS and my belief that they wouldn't just bomb them for fun.

He clearly didn't bomb for fun in any event. This is clearly a close air support strike based on the target (scamble of people). Pilot get permission to strike from whomever is the local controller and drops what is probably a MK82 with a laser guided pod on it.

Now, one thing is - why would a group of insurgents all be running (assuming running based on rate of movement relative to other objects in the scene) down the same street at the same time. Not that its out of character - same kind of footage from armed mobs during Africa, but where are they running to. A lot of context missing in what would likely be an interesting target selection. Also curious as to who is on the ground requesting the strike. Is is a marine unit on the ground?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The impression I get is that the plane was originally targeting a building that's in the center of the crosshairs at the beginning of the video. The insurgents were thought to be in there. Somehow the insurgents were alerted to the fact that they were being targeted, and decided to make a break for it, thinking they'd be safer in the streets than in a building. They clearly should have split up & run in different directions.

Phoenix

SteveMeister said:
The impression I get is that the plane was originally targeting a building that's in the center of the crosshairs at the beginning of the video. The insurgents were thought to be in there. Somehow the insurgents were alerted to the fact that they were being targeted, and decided to make a break for it, thinking they'd be safer in the streets than in a building. They clearly should have split up & run in different directions.

That';s quite possible though the people appear to be running from the building to the north of the building in the FLIR crosshairs. In any event that is a plausible analysis :)

Phoenix

MrAngryFace said:
READING THIS THREAD IS LIKE READING A TOM CLANCY NOVEL!

Sorry. A Mk82 bomb is a generic iron bomb that is old as time. We have shit loads of them all over the place.

A FLIR pod is a forward looking infrared piece of instrumentation that allows you to see heat and in most cases route that to the HUD so you can point a laser or some other designator at a plotch of land.

fa-18ef-mk82-bomb2.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
does the guy say "smoke him dude" at the end?

Fuck flying jets for a job.

"Hi Honey how was your day?"
"I just made gravy out of 50 people"

Kuroyume

Banned
bionic77 said:
The worst is that footage of the Apache in Afghanistan that just guns down a bunch of people who were running away, made me sick to watch it. I really need to stop watching these war and execution videos, they always make me sick to my stomach after I see them. This one is pretty tame in comparison though.

Oh I saw that one! One of the guys is hiding in the van and he crawls out because he thinks it's all clear so the guys in the helicopter catch him and they're like "hold on! I see movement! get him! get him take out the van! take out the van!" They were all enthusiastic and stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom