• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F-Zero GX memory card stupidity (yes, I know, it's old)...

Ristamar

So, I'm trying to copy files onto my new, larger 1019 memory card. While transferring stuff over, I see the GC memory manager won't let you copy it. Alright, no problem I think to myself, I'll load then save to the new card. Oops, that won't work either! What kind of stupid shit is this? I'm not sure if I should kick Sega in the junk, or Nintendo. Maybe both. This is just fucking dumb. So I'm basically stuck with the old card as just because of my F-Zero save? Anyone successfully use some sort of trickery to work around this crap?

Ristamar

mosaic said:
I have similar problems with most of my Nintendo 1st party saves.

Eh? Which ones? None of my other first party saves are so stubborn. Metroid, Mario Party/Kart/Sunshine/Golf, Zelda, and 1080 all copy over just fine. Animal Crossing is stubborn, IIRC, but I knew about that, so I used the dedicated card that came with the game.

Ristamar

Hah. I hear PSO pulls this same stunt. Fucking Sega.

Well, looks like that 251 is now my "official" F-Zero card. Meh.

Have you tried making a new save on your new 1019 mem card, then loading your old save from the old card and switching cards before the game autosaves next time to the new save on the 1019?? I haven't tried yet but I think that should do it...

Ristamar

huzkee said:
Have you tried making a new save on your new 1019 mem card, then loading your old save from the old card and switching cards before the game autosaves next time to the new save on the 1019?? I haven't tried yet but I think that should do it...

No dice. The game knows it's not from the same card, and it won't save the game data unless you put the original back in.

Deku Tree

Nothing works as far as I know.
I played F-Zero GX regularly for months.
I posted at alot of F-Zero GX boards.

And alot of people tried to overcome the "can't transfer your save file" restriction,
but nobody that I know of was ever able to find a way.

SEGA/Nintendo didn't want you to be able to cheat in the "global competition":
http://www.f-zero.com/championship/index.jsp

Unfortunately, even though their motives were pure, it looks like it was all in Vain.
I believe that the "global competition" was canned due to the "space flying" glitch which allowed people to get insanely low times.

ourumov

Snaking itself was a glitch...Nintendo can say whatever they want but I will always consider that "breaking-controllers move"a glitch.

Sander

You can transfer the savefiles to your PC via BBA&PSO and then edit the files so they can be copied. There is a flag set in the savefile that controls whether or not the file can be copied between cards. I understand why PSO and Animal Crossing do this, but for GX it doesn't make much sense.

Deku Tree

Sander said:
You can transfer the savefiles to your PC via BBA&PSO and then edit the files so they can be copied. There is a flag set in the savefile that controls whether or not the file can be copied between cards. I understand why PSO and Animal Crossing do this, but for GX it doesn't make much sense.

They were going to have regular "global competitions" in GX. And they were going to keep it fair by using a password system that was programmed into the game + the inability to copy your save file. But the competition is no more...

Vlad

The thing that really bothers me about GX is the fact that for some strange reason, you can't have multiple player profiles.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sega made the save file copy protected because they didn't want people going into the arcades, unlocking everything from playing the AX version, then copying the save file and distributing around the internet via 3rd party save transfer device

Acrylamid

Wario64 said:
Sega made the save file copy protected because they didn't want people going into the arcades, unlocking everything from playing the AX version, then copying the save file and distributing around the internet via 3rd party save transfer device
You can unlock everything in GX without having to play AX...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
And thus serves another purpose: they wanted people to actually earn the friggin unlockables instead of cheating and copying save files :p

Acrylamid

Wario64 said:
And thus serves another purpose: they wanted people to actually earn the friggin unlockables instead of cheating and copying save files :p
You can unlock everything via Action Replay.
In fact, there are car parts that can be unlocked "legally" in the Japanese version but can't be obtained in the US/Pal version without an Action Replay.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's Sega. I've got almost a hundred saves on my 3rd party equivalent to the MC1019. And ONLY Sega games (PSO1&2, PSO3, PSO Hunter License, Sega Network Settings, PSO Guild Cards, F-Zero GX saves, etc) refuse to move. I fucking deleted them all out of aggravation, and will be starting over on the new MC1019 whenever I get around to replaying these games.

Fucking Sega.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You can't even copy Billy Hatcher or Sonic games? PSO I can understand why you can'y copy the files

hooo

boooy
Sander said:

What program can you use to edit those flags? I've been holding off on a 1019 just because of GX myself.

EDIT: would that troublesome bit of data be the permission key bit? Hex editor here I come!

Ristamar

hooo said:
What program can you use to edit those flags? I've been holding off on a 1019 just because of GX myself.

EDIT: would that troublesome bit of data be the permission key bit? Hex editor here I come!

If you have any luck with that, drop me a PM.

Top Bottom