• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable not selling well?

I know this is purely anecdotal but I went to Fry's today to see if they had Fable and they had what looked like a full stock of them next to the $34.99 price tag.

It looked like they'd sold about 1 copy.

I know it's just one store but at this Fry's and big releases sell out pretty quickly.

Tritroid

It depends upon how many they ordered, where they're located, surrounding gaming populace, etc.

1 store isn't a very good indicator of anything.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I could say just the opposite using anecdotal evidence of my own: a friend who works at Gamestop estimated they sold nearly 50 copies (including preorders) on the first day it came out. Let's wait for official numbers.

yeah I was just surprised to see so many on the shelf. Usually big games sell out pretty quickly especially when they're on sale.

At this same store Doom 3 sold out of 100 copies in about an hour.

Wario64 said:
HAHA FABLE ISNT SELLING TAKE THAT XBOTS

I bet everyone is renting it cause it can be beaten in a rental

Wake up! Did you even played it yet? It fucking owns! This bitch is a million seller in no time. ;)

I think it'll sell very, very well.

Games it will sell more than: (my predictions, as of today anyway)
----------------------------------
Sly 2
Star Ocean
Star Wars:Battlefront
ESPN NHL 2k5
NHL 2005
Shellshock
Demon Stone
Silent Hill 4
Spider-Man 2
Street Fighter Collection

Basically, I expect it to sell better than everything except Madden, ESPN, Burnout 3, and maybe Pikmin 2 for Sept. (not including GBA games)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
When I spoke with EB Games for my burnout 3 story they mentioned in passing that Fable is selling extremely well.

The Fry's in Fountain Valley, California was nearly sold out of Viewtiful Joe (PS2) but the August NPD proved otherwise (9,000 copies sold for the month of August). I was unable to purchase a copy of Star Ocean 3 at Fry's so i'm awaiting September's NPD to see the total sales figure for that game.

BuddyC

Fable has been selling extremely well here, but then again, I'm in a college town...

Gamerush got 8 copies in, I got the last one (gift for my brother).

Gamestop's had equally strong sales, though I don't know the specifics there.

Drey1082

seismologist said:
I know this is purely anecdotal but I went to Fry's today to see if they had Fable and they had what looked like a full stock of them next to the $34.99 price tag.

It looked like they'd sold about 1 copy.

I know it's just one store but at this Fry's and big releases sell out pretty quickly.

It's over.... (throws xbox out window). After hearing this news, I know xbox is done.

seismologist said:
At this same store Doom 3 sold out of 100 copies in about an hour.

DOOM 3 = Fable killer!!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I have no idea if this is true or not, but our gamestop sold out twice in 2 days. The first day was not a huge shipment though.

Shellshock sold far, far too much on both systems as well.

B'z-chan

Banned
Its selling well enough and i think MS kind of over did it with making how many copies they did. It would have been better to use the silent TOS stratagy of only releasing 20K then saying it sells out (good media) then release more due to demand. But then again this is suppost to be GOTY (rolleyes) It'll sell enough thats all i have to say.

the gamestop i went to had like 100 copies and they were all for preorders, since people who walked in to buy it without slips were told to "come back next wedbesday"

Gattsu25

Banned
Target
Best Buy
KB Toys
Walmart
EB

all sold out near me

was able to find a copy in an EB 40 minutes away

the game fucking rawk!

Gattsu25 said:
Target
Best Buy
KB Toys
Walmart
EB

all sold out near me

was able to find a copy in an EB 40 minutes away

the game fucking rawk!

They might not have been sold out. Alot of the shipments didn't come in until yesterday.

Gattsu25

Banned
seismologist said:
They might not have been sold out. Alot of the shipments didn't come in until ysetrday.

I know, which is why I asked :b

my local EB being sold out suprised me as they had 20 something copies for non-preorders

The Faceless Master said:
the gamestop i went to had like 100 copies and they were all for preorders, since people who walked in to buy it without slips were told to "come back next wedbesday"

This could be because they were all for preorders, or ...

It could be because those bastards try to blackmail you into preordering or else you can't get it on release day. "They're only for preorders"

Despite the fact, it's clear they've got plenty of copies AND that they'll sell you a copy when the store opens the next day.

PhatSaqs

Banned
This thread needs more fat ladies

dim2a.jpg

The real shame isn't Fable not selling well, because it is.

The shame will be that other games will sell like crap including Sly (based on the boards I frequent, it's not getting much airplay), Gradius, Star Ocean, GGX, & probably Katamari Damacy :(

Drey1082

It will outsell pikmin 2...

(Did he just go there?)
(I think so....)

(drey puts on flame retardant suit.)

*This post does not state that Fable is superior to Pikmin2 in anyway, the poster was just making light of the fact that it's a silly argument. 1 store not selling out of fable in 1 day does not mean it's selling horrible everywhere.

For what its worth I didn't by nor am I going to buy Fable in the near future. I'm sure the game is quite good but it really has no interest to me at the moment. And yet when I visited GameStop yesterday the phone was ringing allot with people inquiring about the game. From what I overheard the store was to sell close to 80 copys in its first day. I sorta doubt this game will have trouble selling.

border

sonycowboy said:
The shame will be that other games will sell like crap including Sly (based on the boards I frequent, it's not getting much airplay), Gradius, Star Ocean, GGX, & probably Katamari Damacy :(
Sorry, but those guys weren't smart enough to start yapping about their innovative game features 4 years ago, then yank them out after the enthusiast press's verbal fellatio has ensured astounding sales. Live and learn, SUCKERS!

Drey1082

border said:
Sorry, but those guys weren't smart enough to start yapping about their innovative game features 4 years ago, then yank them out after the enthusiast press's verbal fellatio has ensured astounding sales. Live and learn, SUCKERS!

haha, very true.

border said:

LOL! It's so sad that that's true.

border

it'll sell well. Ninja Gaiden levels imo. 1 million by the years end
Unless I'm mistaken, Ninja Gaiden isn't even going to make it to a million....so it will have to be beyond "Ninja Gaiden levels" =)

Che

Banned
Wario64 said:
HAHA FABLE ISNT SELLING TAKE THAT XBOTS

I bet everyone is renting it cause it can be beaten in a rental

:lol You want to be on G4 again, don't ya? You cheap attention whore! Don't ya? I EXPOSED YOU!

Prine

Banned
border said:
Unless I'm mistaken, Ninja Gaiden isn't even going to make it to a million....so it will have to be beyond "Ninja Gaiden levels" =)

First month sales i mean. 350k

NG is at 500k atm, not bad.

Soul4ger

It's not overwhelming. I'm surprised, actually, considering the amount of hype and the time of development. It'll probably hit 400K after it's first month, though. Just, there's too much coming out around the same time. And people really like their shooters and war games.

Soul4ger said:
It's not overwhelming. I'm surprised, actually, considering the amount of hype and the time of development. It'll probably hit 400K after it's first month, though. Just, there's too much coming out around the same time. And people really like their shooters and war games.

I'll got out on a limb and say it won't crack 200k it's first month (which may change by the time prediction time comes around in a month or so :D ) September is a little early for a game to really get sales much more than that unless it's a monster title.

Soul4ger

sonycowboy said:
I'll got out on a limb and say it won't crack 200k it's first month (which may change by the time prediction time comes around in a month or so :D ) September is a little early for a game to really get sales much more than that unless it's a monster title.

Nah, it'll definitely do better than 200K. I'll guarantee it.

border

All said, I think a few people are ridiculously overestimating the appeal of Fable. KOTOR could not sell 1 million units last year, and it had a far better chance thanks to the Star Wars IP.

There are only like 4-5 million-sellers on the Xbox and all of them were in more popular genres than adventure/RPG, and most of them were the single "Must Buy" game for that holiday season. Fable is in the midst of a market that is more competitive than it has ever been (for this generation at least) and has no recognizable franchise to help give it a push beyond the first month. Even if MS continues to provide ad support beyond the next month or so, I expect it won't do any better than KOTOR.

Top Bottom