• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable sells 375K first week

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hmm, not bad. I was hoping for a far, far better sales, though. RPGs as they are now need to extinct like dinosaurs they are, and should all evolve into something more like Fable.

Mrbob

Damn. That is impressive.

SHIPPED OR SOLD? Article sells sold through but does that mean sold through to retailers?

Cloudy

Banned
That's good to hear and hopefully they do some sort of expansion thingy for it. I had it rented but liked it so much that I went out and bought it the next day (even after hearing it was short) cos I know I'll be messing around in the game for a while :)

I guess that's the benefit of not reading up on games you think might suck. I saw the screens and assumed it was another crappy pc-ish game with bad art so I didn't have any kind of expectations. Surprisingly, it's probably the most fun I've had gaming (outside of sports) this year :D

olimario

Banned
I don't know how it sold so well. The marketing campaign was lackluster and word of mouth was virtually non-existant. Friends of mine who own XBOXEN had no clue about Fable until I insisted last week they purchase it.

I need Pikmin 2 to do a million in the US lifetime.

open_mouth_ said:
sonycowboy = owned.

:D

Duly chastised, but I did always expect it to sell well, just not monster sales, which it looks it is going to be. But some people remember things as they want to...

Regarding Fable:

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=14938
sonycowboy said:
I think it'll sell very, very well.

Games it will sell more than: (my predictions, as of today anyway)
----------------------------------
Sly 2
Star Ocean
Star Wars:Battlefront
ESPN NHL 2k5
NHL 2005
Shellshock
Demon Stone
Silent Hill 4
Spider-Man 2
Street Fighter Collection

Basically, I expect it to sell better than everything except Madden, ESPN, Burnout 3, and maybe Pikmin 2 for Sept. (not including GBA games)

sonycowboy said:
I'll got out on a limb and say it won't crack 200k it's first month (which may change by the time prediction time comes around in a month or so ) September is a little early for a game to really get sales much more than that unless it's a monster title.

sonycowboy said:
That's what people said when I predicted 190k for Full Spectrum Warrior, or when I had a ridiculously low number for PS2 hardware sales this month or my pretty much, right on Madden sales. I have the gift!

But, clouded the future is, hard to see. As we get closer to NPD day, I will revise my number accordingly. Like when M$ sends out shipped numbers and we get some news reports of how the game is selling @ EB / Gamestop,etc.

sonycowboy said:
Now if Microsoft, Lionhead, EB, or Gamestop come out with a press announcement with impressive numbers, I certainly may modify my prediction. Clear?

Oh, and I think I will revise my number WAYY up :D

PhatSaqs

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Duly chastised, but I did always expect it to sell well, just not monster sales, which it looks it is going to be. But some people remember things as they want to...

Regarding Fable:

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=14938

Oh, and I think I will revise my number WAYY up :D
Translated:
blahblah.gif
I was dead wrong
blahblah.gif

Cloudy

Banned
I'll got out on a limb and say it won't crack 200k it's first month (which may change by the time prediction time comes around in a month or so ) September is a little early for a game to really get sales much more than that unless it's a monster title.

Wow, your prediction got doubled up :lol

PhatSaqs said:
Translated:
blahblah.gif
I was dead wrong
blahblah.gif

Make sure you join in the official predictions next time. We'll see how well you can do. You guys act as if I stated it for a fact.

Back on topic, I'm simply amazed. If it's the top selling Xbox title ever in it's first week, that's more than Halo (which sold almost 800k it's first month I think, and Splinter Cell which sold 223k it's first month. I guess Xbox will soon have a few more million sellers.

Currently:
--------------------
Halo
Splinter Cell
Project Gotham
GTA: Double Pack

Soon:
--------------------
ESPN NFL 2k5
Madden 2005
Fable
Halo 2
???

eso76

Actually that's almost twice as much in 1/4 of the time.
Thus 8 times as much, although it won't last
Good to see it's doing good, i had the feeling the hype had completely worn out.

Subitai

Well, I admit I didn't expect these sales either, but I don't think they'll hold up as well as KotOR over the next 12 months.

Remember also that this game was supposed to be the biggest franchise MS has come up with after Halo. These sales aren't that great compared to even 2 tier 1st party titles from Sony and Nintendo.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Marconelly said:
Hmm, not bad. I was hoping for a far, far better sales, though. RPGs as they are now need to extinct like dinosaurs they are, and should all evolve into something more like Fable.

Says you... I'd beg to differ, I'd prefer RPGs to not "evolve" into 10 hour long games with shallow plots, but hey... plenty of environmental interaction and emergent gameplay. I haven't played much of Fable, but I have a feeling it'll be like GTA for me, novel at first, but the novelty wears off very quickly.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Marconelly said:

Final Fantasy's sales numbers disagree with this assessment.

Subitai

xsarien said:
Final Fantasy is an aberration.

Even on PS, RPGs without "Final Fantasy" in the title never got much above 500k.

SantaC

xsarien said:

So do I.

Meier

Very impressive start -- I definitely did not expect it to do anywhere near that number in its first month. They claim sell-through of 375k but I'm skeptical of that fact and will remain so until we see some hard evidence next month. People remember the horns being trumpeted for both FSW and Riddick but both of those were shipped numbers and sales were well below that mark.

Cloudy

Banned
There's room for both types of rpgs but I have to admit that Fable is a breath of fresh air for me. It's a bit like the post-OOT Zelda games but actually fun :p

PS: Fable online would own all IMO :D

Subitai said:
Well, I admit I didn't expect these sales either, but I don't think they'll hold up as well as KotOR over the next 12 months.

Remember also that this game was supposed to be the biggest franchise MS has come up with after Halo. These sales aren't that great compared to even 2 tier 1st party titles from Sony and Nintendo.

It depends on how those first week sales translate into Sept sales for the month. Fable came out 9/14. The month ended on Oct 2, giving it 2 1/2 weeks of sales, with 3 weekends. It could be substantially more than 375k.

If it sales 500k in it's first month, that beats probably all but a handful of games this generation.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Just curious...the articles doesnt call it Xboxs fastest selling game ever, just at certain retailers so i presume other games have sold faster, which ones? Splinter cell?

Either way thats damn impressive, hope it can keep it up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sadly, they do. That's why I said I was hoping for even better sales out of Fable (something in the million range in the first few weeks, which I don't think it will make)

olimario

Banned
Ghost said:
Just curious...the articles doesnt call it Xboxs fastest selling game ever, just at certain retailers so i presume other games have sold faster, which ones? Splinter cell?

KOTOR did 400k in a week and a half, right?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
djtiesto said:
Says you... I'd beg to differ, I'd prefer RPGs to not "evolve" into 10 hour long games with shallow plots

you liked Symphonia right? Har har.

There was a Gamestop email that had like 110,000 sold on the first day. So far it still has major legs, but it is early.

Wulfer

When I was working at Gamestop our numbers for Fable were just over a 100 and HALO was around 700. That was 5 months ago. anyone wanta have some fun with some math? I 'm not sure how many store their are anymore so, I'd around to a 1000 for a safety net. These numbers should get you started cause a 5 month reserve period is a long time.

Ghost said:

Splinter Cell only sold 223k it's first month (November). December is where it blew up with 633k.

Others:
--------------
Halo > 700k. I really don't remember the number because my monthly numbers don't go back that far.
Madden 2005 500k
GTA Double Pack 391k
ESPN NFL 2k5 385k
KOTOR 299k

Microsoft Game Studios today announced that Fable, the ground-breaking Xbox roleplaying adventure game, has had an amazing start at retailers across North America in its first week of release, breaking records and selling through more than 375,000 units (grossing roughly $18.7 million U.S.). Fable sets the stage for a spectacular holiday season for Microsoft Game Studios by paving the way for titles such as Halo 2, Blinx 2 and MechAssault 2. Sales records are being broken at retailers throughout North America: the game was EB Games' biggest first-week sales for any Xbox title ever; it broke Game Rush's first-day sales record for any game; it is the No. 1-selling overall title on any platform last week at GameStop and is the fastest-selling Xbox game at EB Games Canada for the first week. Fable even grossed more money than the No. 1 box office movie last week, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow*.

"Fable was the best first-week title on Xbox that we've ever had" says Jim Tyo, vice president of EB Games Canada. "The game has exceeded our expectations, and we're confident that this strong sales trend will continue."

"Fable has been a huge hit for us, and it was our number one-selling title across all platforms over the last week" says Dan DeMatteo, president and chief operating officer of GameStop.

LOL! Paving the way for Blinx 2. Get ready for million seller Blinx!!!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
sonycowboy said:
Splinter Cell only sold 223k it's first month (November). December is where it blew up with 633k.

Others:
--------------
Halo > 700k. I really don't remember the number because my monthly numbers don't go back that far.
Madden 2005 500k
GTA Double Pack 391k
ESPN NFL 2k5 385k
KOTOR 299k

Cool thanks for the numbers

Subitai

sonycowboy said:
LOL! Paving the way for Blinx 2. Get ready for million seller Blinx!!!
Hey man, I played the demo, they fixed all the glaring gameplay problems, added co-op, multiplayer, and you can customize your kitty (or piggy since you play the bad guys too).

The problem is that the 1st game might have already turned off customers to the brand.

It comes out 9 days after Halo 2. I think MS is trying to get it on Halo 2's coat tails with new customers.

Subitai

sonycowboy said:

Others:
--------------
Madden 2005 500k
GTA Double Pack 391k
ESPN NFL 2k5 385k
KOTOR 299k
What did Ninja Gaiden and PGR do?

Subitai said:
What did Ninja Gaiden and PGR do?

Ninja Gaiden 362,441
PGR 2 70,723 (obviously the first sold better, but I have no idea how much in it's first month, but it was at 592,336 in May 2002 LTD)

belgurdo

Banned
Marconelly said:

Jesus Christ NO

Djtiesto has the right sentiment

Alias03

olimario said:
I don't know how it sold so well. The marketing campaign was lackluster and word of mouth was virtually non-existant. Friends of mine who own XBOXEN had no clue about Fable until I insisted last week they purchase it.

I need Pikmin 2 to do a million in the US lifetime.

that sounds like word of mouth to me :D

Top Bottom