• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 3 refused classification by OFLC (Australia)

Xyphie

If I lived in Australia I'd import all my games, it's cheaper and I'd get rid of the XXL size rating symbol.

Choabac

What happened after the R18 classification review by the Attorney Generals a few months back? Weren’t they going to consult the public on whether the classification should be introduced for computer games?

Let's go Oz.

Okay, so most of the times when we've seen bannings they've been for games that a) we didn't honestly care about or b) the censored editions haven't been terrifically crippled -- but they're fucking with Fallout now.

Now this good Sirs, I just can't abide!

We need letters, we need noise, we need some rage.

There is no doubt that Fallout 3 will come out in Australia, it'll have cuts, no doubt.

I plead that Bethesda are open and honest about what they have to cut to make it valid for sale in Australia. Don't keep us in the dark like Rockstar did with GTA.

Preorder = super canceled.

Quasar

Meh. Its not like I wasn't going to import anyway (assuming I do buy it).

Still...its yet more evidence that there needs to be an adult classification implemented. Not that we;ll see that with Rudd in charge.

hirokazu

Haha, yay.

Also, get off our continent, South Australia! If it weren't for you, we'd have an 18+ rating already and won't need to have games RC'd.

TwiztidElf

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Boo-urns, will import, PS3 region free, WOO.

Gotta love how PS3 fans conveniently ignore that Europe 360 games work on Aus 360.

Anyhow, joke country confirmed. Sucks to be us.

iceatcs

TwiztidElf said:
Gotta love how PS3 fans conveniently ignore that Europe 360 games work on Aus 360.

But US price is far much cheaper than European version tho

hirokazu

TwiztidElf said:

Well to be fair, he never mentioned anything about the Xbox, he was simply pointing out that he has PS3 and he is glad that it's region-free in times like this.

G0DLIKE

OFLC Australia need to sort this shit out. What do they want? The censored version of GTA IV is almost the exact same game and can be sold in AU to a 15 year old thanks to the lack of a R18 rating. Fuckin' stupid.

legend166

It's strange how this works. In terms of basically every other type of media, we're much more loose on the content than the US. I mean, we get uncut Dexter at 9:30pm on network television.

hirokazu

G0DLIKE said:
OFLC Australia need to sort this shit out. What do they want? The censored version of GTA IV is almost the exact same game and can be sold in AU to a 15 year old thanks to the lack of a R18 rating. Fuckin' stupid.
Yeah, tell that to the dumbass family and Christian groups... and that fucking SA Attorney General guy.

Don't hate on the OFLC though, they're just doing their job. I think most of the RC's handed out to games so far have valid reasons behind them - the fact that these particular games were made for a more mature audience. It's the fact that there is no R18+ for games that is preventing them handing out the classification these games deserve.

Their judgement on films, however, is another matter. :/

legend166 said:
It's strange how this works. In terms of basically every other type of media, we're much more loose on the content than the US. I mean, we get uncut Dexter at 9:30pm on network television.
TV ratings and guidelines are not under the jurisdiction of the OFLC, the networks give programs the necessary ratings based on content and if there are complaints, then some bureaucratic process kicks in.

Rlan

Friend sent a well constructed e-mail to the Attorney General some weeks ago, and he got back a 3 page reply in the mail saying why he's doing this.

He's not gonna budge :|

hirokazu

Spotless Mind said:
:lol Good ole Austria. I'm glad i don't live in that backwards nation.
And I hate dumbasses who don't even have the necessary high school knowledge to tell the difference between Australia and Austria apart. You are in no position to comment about other countries. :p

Rlan said:
Friend sent a well constructed e-mail to the Attorney General some weeks ago, and he got back a 3 page reply in the mail saying why he's doing this.

What's the reply in a nutshell? Also, has anyone pointed out to him how games which deserve R18+ are getting let through with MA15+ rating because of his stubbornness?

cyclone87

Rlan said:

Would it be possible for your friend to show us that letter?

Darklord

Banned
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! Fuck you OFLC!

I'm worried Gears of War 2 will be banned now with its level of violence!

At least it made by choice, PC or 360 an easy one.

Shaneus

Rlan said:

That needs to be posted here, so we can do a group rebuttal. Politician -> GAF -> Politician

Rlan

I'll try and get a scan today.

In the meantime, here are the classification documents:

fallout_3_ban_01.gif

fallout_3_ban_02.gif

Yagharek

Such a trivial thing to ban a game over. What about benzodiazepam in MGS for example? That, or at least the same class of drugs, are prescription drugs in Australia. Double standards total. (Im glad MGS got through though! Dont anyone point this out to the OFLC :lol )

NameIess

This is just a sign that Videogames are still not considered an adult form of entertainment like movies and music. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt Aussies are being banned from graphic song lyrics or movies with drug usage... The only people that win are the retailers that import the game to people anyway. When you consider the internet what's the purpose of banning a game anyway most people will have no problem obtaining the title.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
It's really ridiculous. I think the fact that it's happened with Fallout 3 is more jarring than knowing they cut bits from GTA, just because it's so unexpected.

Incidentally, the SA Attorney General declined my request for an interview a month or so back, just in case anyone cares.

Top Bottom