• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Zeliard

People have had problems, undoubtedly, but mileage will vary when it comes to bugs and other annoyances.

I'm at around level 17 and the only things I've really encountered in my playthrough so far are crashes to desktop, which are obviously annoying but not a gamebreaker since I always save frequently in PC games (even non-RPGs).

ED-E has sort of wandered off a couple times but he's always back soon enough, usually after I simply enter another area. Other companions are always right there with me, including the ones I keep ranged. Haven't had any real A.I. pathfinding issues in general, at least no more than were present in Fallout 3. I still wish they would have let you give basic commands to your companions, even simply limited to "go here" and "regroup." A regroup command seems like it would help alleviate some of the problems there.

I haven't had any quests bug out or companions completely disappear or anything of the sort. Outsides of the CTDs, things have been pretty smooth-sailing. Knock on wood. I haven't even seen any crazy physics bugs which were the norm in Fallout 3 (i.e. NPCs getting stuck on ceilings).

MMaRsu

eznark said:
Man I am just not getting into this one. Just finished Goodsprings showdown and....eh. Fuck I loved Fallout 3, what is wrong with me!

Also, Caravan is completely befuddling.

You just finished Goodsprings showdown.. wtf..that's like what 20 minutes in?

Wallach

Running into some weird ass problems with the lever-action shotgun after this last small patch. I ran up to a guy and entered VATS, set up three shots on his face, and when I launched the set my character slowly rotated around him without animating, while the guy and his other two friends just kept on firing at me. Didn't leave VATS until they managed to kill me.

The second time I tried this, my character slid backwards when VATS started until he hit a wall, then started launching the attacks I had queued up. What the fuck.

The funniest bug I got was a Powder Ganger corpse suddenly floating below the ceiling while slowly rotating, as though Ed Gein had picked out a ceiling fan.

Giard

Er...having some problems at
Caesar's fort. He just gave me the platinum chip so I could sabotage whatever is inside the bunker, but when I try to leave the area, the guy says that I need to relinquish the chip before I can leave. Don't really understand what to do.

Gestahl

Giard said:
Er...having some problems at
Caesar's fort. He just gave me the platinum chip so I could sabotage whatever is inside the bunker, but when I try to leave the area, the guy says that I need to relinquish the chip before I can leave. Don't really understand what to do.

What? Are you going back to the boat or something? The bunker is right behind Caesar's tent.

Erudite

Cheech said:
God damn is this frustrating. I got rid of the 360 version because it ate my saves, so I pick up the PC version hoping it's better.

I fire up the PC version for the first time tonight, and I can't even get past the intro movie. Right after the movie, it starts loading, and BAM. "FalloutNV has caused an error and must close". Dead.

I looked at the support forums, which recommend validating files, deleting .ini files, and nothing worked.

Seriously, fuck this game. I'm done, unless somebody has a suggestion.
Using any mods? Specifically the d3d9.dll one?

bhlaab

Lakitu said:
Ah right thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Seeing Kimball's head explode so many times in a row spooked me out.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/You'll_Know_It_When_You_See_It

Your strategy will depend on a lot of things, there are a ton of skill checks and different ways to approach it (and different ways to fail at it).

Oh la la.

The latest patch really cleaned up the experience for me. Overall performance is well improved, and little stuff (like how the 9mm didn't attach to the char's hip properly) was fixed up too.

The patch seemed to work for me. I went and did the Come Fly With me quest and the save file will load now. That's the only real showstopping bug I have run into.

Another stupid question: is there any way to look at your character's face when in 3rd person mode? There doesn't seem to be any way to do it, at least on a 360 controller.

Rainier

Trent Strong said:
Another stupid question: is there any way to look at your character's face when in 3rd person mode? There doesn't seem to be any way to do it, at least on a 360 controller.
In Settings, Controls (if it exists), is it the button for 'Change View'? That's what rotates the camera around your character in the PC version. Maybe you hold that button down while using the stick?

Rainier said:
In Settings, Controls (if it exists), is it the button for 'Change View'? That's what rotates the camera around your character in the PC version. Maybe you hold that button down while using the stick?

It worked! Thanks.

homerule said:
Does anyone know why all my screenshots end up looking like this:

29cqadi.png

I'm running it on an ATI Radeon Mobility 5730, and the game does't give me any performance issues. So I'm baffled with how the screenshots are coming out distorted.
It does the same thing for me too (using an nvidia card), I have no idea why its doing that either :( I ended up using fraps, I really don't like using another program to get screen caps if the game supports it.

stupei

eznark said:
Man I am just not getting into this one. Just finished Goodsprings showdown and....eh. Fuck I loved Fallout 3, what is wrong with me!

Also, Caravan is completely befuddling.

Caravan is a modified version of Blackjack. Instead of 21, there's a range of 21 to 26 and the face cards all do weird shit. Maybe just jot down what the face cards do, just for reference the first few times, and then you'll be set.

Personally I use the King and Queen way more than I use the Jack, but Joker is obviously the greatest.

Nose Master

I keep getting color glitches. The entire world will either lose all color, or change to a hue of a certain color (orange, blue, etc). The HUD is unaffected, and it usually goes away when I zone. Real weird.

BeeDog

Nose Master said:
I keep getting color glitches. The entire world will either lose all color, or change to a hue of a certain color (orange, blue, etc). The HUD is unaffected, and it usually goes away when I zone. Real weird.

Are you sure it's not just area-specific color filters? Some parts of the game world are supposed to have drained colors (e.g. Cottonwood, Black Mountain etc.).

BeeDog said:
Are you sure it's not just area-specific color filters? Some parts of the game world are supposed to have drained colors (e.g. Cottonwood, Black Mountain etc.).

i get that too but sometimes it doesnt kick in right away and you think your monitor has gone on the fritz :lol

Ledsen

ZombieSupaStar said:
ugh, the new update takes me back to the awful performance of the "pre dll new vegas", even with the old DLL added back in.

wtf....

Yeah, same here... like I wrote above, my framerate is cut in half... I get 30 indoors (used to get 60) and 20 outdoors (used to get 30-40). Also the stuttering is back. Nothing seems to fix it, not the dll and not the 4gb/stutter fix... how the fuck did they manage to make the game WORSE with a patch? It's unplayable to me as it is now.

Ledsen said:
Yeah, same here... like I wrote above, my framerate is cut in half... I get 30 indoors (used to get 60) and 20 outdoors (used to get 30-40). Also the stuttering is back. Nothing seems to fix it, not the dll and not the 4gb/stutter fix... how the fuck did they manage to make the game WORSE with a patch? It's unplayable to me as it is now.

well luckily I bought the retail ce so I can reinstall from the dvd and turn off the auto updates.... but i lose whatever fixes the patches apply.... maybe whoever made the dll can update it post patch.... I swear between Fallout: New Vegas, and Black Ops 100% random cpu usage, pc gaming is on my shit list the last few weeks :lol

what card are you using im guessing the stutter issue has to be either the cpu or the 3d card...

mine are both old and busted (core2duo e6850 3ghz, and a 280 gtx). But I really dont have the cash to upgrade my entire rig to fix an issue that 1 day ago worked fine with a fan made work around :lol, plus considering console gaming is keeping most games at a certain "level" performance wise I really dont see the need for upgrading yet (aside from my dual core not being as nice for more recent games that work better on more cores even if they arent as fast in mhz)

Ledsen

ZombieSupaStar said:
well luckily I bought the retail ce so I can reinstall from the dvd and turn off the auto updates.... but i lose whatever fixes the patches apply.... maybe whoever made the dll can update it post patch.... I swear between Fallout: New Vegas, and Black Ops 100% random cpu usage, pc gaming is on my shit list the last few weeks :lol

what card are you using im guessing the stutter issue has to be either the cpu or the 3d card...

mine are both old and busted (core2duo e6850 3ghz, and a 280 gtx). But I really dont have the cash to upgrade my entire rig to fix an issue that 1 day ago worked fine with a fan made work around :lol, plus considering console gaming is keeping most games at a certain "level" performance wise I really dont see the need for upgrading yet (aside from my dual core not being as nice for more recent games that work better on more cores even if they arent as fast in mhz)

The stutter issue isn't caused by hardware but by a bug in the game engine that has been there since Oblivion, makes the game run in 64hz instead of 60hz which fucks up the synchronization with the monitor. The 4gb/stuttering fix fixed this pre-patch, post-patch not so much... like I said the game is unplayable now and seemingly unfixable :(

jax (old)

Banned
well, reading those ^^ posts, I'm glad I'm done with the game til DLC :D

man, reads like it sucks so bad. Man, the gamebryo engine is rubbish!

Nose Master

BeeDog said:

It's kind of sudden... and it's happened inside buildings before, so I don't think so :lol

Ledsen said:
The stutter issue isn't caused by hardware but by a bug in the game engine that has been there since Oblivion, makes the game run in 64hz instead of 60hz which fucks up the synchronization with the monitor. The 4gb/stuttering fix fixed this pre-patch, post-patch not so much... like I said the game is unplayable now and seemingly unfixable :(

i mean i had the poor performance from the npcs in new vegas at launch (i never had that in oblivion or fallout 3) and the dll fixed it, and I dont know what I just did but now the npc stutter is gone, the only thing I did since the last post was delete my my documents / my games/ fallout new vegas / ini files and then do a validate files from steam (1 failed and redownloaded) and redid my settings ini (ultra settings etc, water multi samplying set to low, etc) and now it seems to run fine without the dll !?

1.) delete the my documents/my games/ falloutNV/ (deleted the 2 inis, and the RendererInfo.txt file here, no idea if it does anything)
2.) force steam to validate your game files
3.) Setup your settings again when it launches

I dont think its placebo because my save is in the ultra lux and its like night and day difference now.... so who knows what in my ini or bad file was causing it..

Trent Strong said:
:lol I'm actually playing on a PC with a 360 controller. I'll have to look into those nude patches.

no no you dont stay away.

yeah here is my performance 1.12 patch after whatever I fixed, fixed.

ran thru the goodsprings event (notorious for it hitting like 5 fps at launch and stuttering like mad without dll fix, during the shootout) now using 1.12 and ultra settings (water set to high also, and 2x AA, which i usually set to none...)

so yeah somehow it works fine now *boggle* musta been something in my ini file, or that 1 file that redownloaded?

F_NV_1_12_Goodsprings_shootout.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Fuckidy fuck fuck. I totally lost Boone somehow. No idea where he is or went. And the bastards is carrying loads of cool stuff for me. Arghhhh

Ledsen

ZombieSupaStar said:
i mean i had the poor performance from the npcs in new vegas at launch (i never had that in oblivion or fallout 3) and the dll fixed it, and I dont know what I just did but now the npc stutter is gone, the only thing I did since the last post was delete my my documents / my games/ fallout new vegas / ini files and then do a validate files from steam (1 failed and redownloaded) and redid my settings ini (ultra settings etc, water multi samplying set to low, etc) and now it seems to run fine without the dll !?

1.) delete the my documents/my games/ falloutNV/ (deleted the 2 inis, and the RendererInfo.txt file here, no idea if it does anything)
2.) force steam to validate your game files
3.) Setup your settings again when it launches

I dont think its placebo because my save is in the ultra lux and its like night and day difference now.... so who knows what in my ini or bad file was causing it..

I actually tried deleting everything related to NV on my comp and re-installed from Steam... didn't help at all :(

Ledsen said:
I actually tried deleting everything related to NV on my comp and re-installed from Steam... didn't help at all :(

even the ini in the my documents folder? what about maybe try a validate files, those were the only 2 things I did after I loaded up the post patch chopfest.

Ledsen

ZombieSupaStar said:
even the ini in the my documents folder? what about maybe try a validate files, those were the only 2 things I did after I loaded up the post patch chopfest.

Yes I deleted that whole folder... I'll try it again like you said though.

edit: nope... didn't work. Still getting 19-20 fps outside in Goodsprings where before I got ~40. What the HELL Obsidian :( :( :(

homerule said:
I think I figured it out. Initially I was running the game at my laptop's native resolution: 1366x768. I dropped the game resolution down to 1360x768, and sure enough, the in-game screenshots are coming out normal now. I tried Fallout 3 on this laptop and it's the same story. I guess Bethesda can't make an engine to handle a few extra pixels for a damn screenshot.

thanks, that fixed it for me too, strange bug :(

ZombieSupaStar said:
validating helped out mine too, I also had two files that were "bad" a ini and another one, i can actually walk into buildings filled with npc's now without it going to 2 FPS

Lakitu

st5fu
After 110 hours... I completed it.

Completely awesome game. Easily on par with Fallout 3... it could have been better if it weren't for the glitches. But I'd be happy for Obsidian to continue doing more Fallouts.

I can't wait for the next DLC.. I felt sad when it ended. I was sort of rushing towards the end, but
that last battle was intense. I took down the Legate pretty easily though. I just used the Gobi Campaign Rifle with AP rounds.

The biggest question for me is:

I sided with NCR and all that, but what happened with Caesar or the Legion? I know they ran away, but there was no mention of Caesar after that. You'd think a huge part of the story like that, he'd get a resolution.

bestami

Nice. So after the patch, whenever i hit play on the launcher i get an error message (program stopped working thing). I have some mods and i'd rather not uninstall the whole thing if i can. Any suggestions ?

Edit: I modified the Falloutdefault.ini file for some mod. I replaced that with the original file and now the game is fine.

FrankT

Had a nice first run with this last night. Ran a lot smoother than I thought it would(360 version). Not sure if the patch had anything to do with that. One huge improvement over F3 already is I've noticed no tearing unlike F3 which is like every other step. It maybe there I just haven't seen any yet. That in itself is huge in my book.

eznark

Banned
MMaRsu said:
You just finished Goodsprings showdown.. wtf..that's like what 20 minutes in?

3 hours for me :lol

I ran around and explored a bunch before talking to Ringo, which was sweet since I then slaughtered the Powder Gangers with no problems.

Cheech

Traced-Velocity said:
Using any mods? Specifically the d3d9.dll one?

No, and that's the most frustrating thing. I was playing the game for the very first time last night, just installed and patched from Steam, and it won't get past the intro movie.

I moved on to Force Unleashed 2 out of frustration. I'll come back after I finish that one (I can't multitask games at all). Hopefully there is a beefier patch, but I'll play with my video settings to see if something like MLAA caused the crash.

Ricker

What the hell is up with Black Mountain...after trying this at different levels and failing most of the time,I finally get up there and the last freakin door needs a key to open,which I don`t have...also,spoiler in case about this

I cleared everything but since I can`t get in the last room,I went back to talk to Neil,I had a new option to talk to him and he offers to help me,I get to him in the small village area and he asks me if i`m ready...I have 2 choices,let`s do it and wait here but he doesn`t come with me,on both options he just tells me to hurry and get ready,I release my 2 companions thinking that might be it but no,nothing elase happens after that...wasn`t Raul suppose to be in the little prison house also near the end? there`s no one inside.

jax (old)

Banned
Ricker said:
What the hell is up with Black Mountain...after trying this at different levels and failing most of the time,I finally get up there and the last freakin door needs a key to open,which I don`t have...also,spoiler in case about this

I cleared everything but since I can`t get in the last room,I went back to talk to Neil,I had a new option to talk to him and he offers to help me,I get to him in the small village area and he asks me if i`m ready...I have 2 choices,let`s do it and wait here but he doesn`t come with me,on both options he just tells me to hurry and get ready,I release my 2 companions thinking that might be it but no,nothing elase happens after that...wasn`t Raul suppose to be in the little prison house also near the end? there`s no one inside.

hmm...

you check the computer and you get the pasword and that unlocks the door and you get raul in there. once you rescue him, tabitha will come out to kill you - this one's a bit lazy as the pc needs NO science skills

alternatively, you fix the robot and the crazycrazycrazy quest finishes as they leave

there's no way to enter the room til either happens as you won't get the key otherwise.

Ponti

bestami said:
Nice. So after the patch, whenever i hit play on the launcher i get an error message (program stopped working thing). I have some mods and i'd rather not uninstall the whole thing if i can. Any suggestions ?

Edit: I modified the Falloutdefault.ini file for some mod. I replaced that with the original file and now the game is fine.
It's the archive invalidation that is causing the crash at start up. I have quite a few settings I changed in there I'd hate to lose by replacing it with the default, so figuring that out saved me a massive headache (bloody mouse smoothing is a nightmare).

projekt84

One thing that peeved me in this game wasn't a glitch, but the fact that 90% of the people I battle with end up getting scared and fleeing from battle. Even the most dedicated and highest ranking officials ran when their life dropped a bit low.

Crazetex

projekt84 said:
One thing that peeved me in this game wasn't a glitch, but the fact that 90% of the people I battle with end up getting scared and fleeing from battle. Even the most dedicated and highest ranking officials ran when their life dropped a bit low.

That's why you have a gun. Shoot that XP before it gets too far!

projekt84

Crazetex said:
That's why you have a gun. Shoot that XP before it gets too far!

Yeah, but even that high ranking Caesar's Legion guy in Cottonwood Cove just told me how loyal and awesome he was, and when I bashed him in the face with my rusty Super Sledge he ran like a baby.

Is it just me, or is this game completely empty?

I'm about five hours in, and I walked to Vegas for the first time last night from a pretty distant locale. Probably 15 minutes away. I encountered no enemies, and every time I looked into a building or explored an area that looked interesting, I found nothing worth my time.

For me so far, Fallout 3 kills this game.

Top Bottom