• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Varna

As much as I love everything Obsidian did for the new Fallout, in the end I still have the same issue I had with Fallout 3.

Level 20 (hardcore, very hard) and my character is pretty much god like in most situations, I can pass just about any check (thanks to comprehension and a ridiculous amount of magazines) and I have an infinite amount of weapons, ammunition and medical supplies.

Thinking I will just finish the game and now and revisit it when a few more challenging gameplay mods come out.

aasoncott

Is there any way to change the way my character looks after I've already started playing? I'm seeing some nice eye and hair mods that I'd like to try out, but I don't want to start over with a new character. Is there a way to just edit the character I have?

Edit: After a little more Googling, I found the console commands "ShowPlasticSurgeonMenu" and "ShowBarberMenu", but one site had a disclaimer that using them MIGHT disable Steam achievements. Is that true? And if so, is there a way to edit your character without missing out on achievements?

Erudite

aasoncott said:
Is there any way to change the way my character looks after I've already started playing? I'm seeing some nice eye and hair mods that I'd like to try out, but I don't want to start over with a new character. Is there a way to just edit the character I have?

Edit: After a little more Googling, I found the console commands "ShowPlasticSurgeonMenu" and "ShowBarberMenu", but one site had a disclaimer that using them MIGHT disable Steam achievements. Is that true? And if so, is there a way to edit your character without missing out on achievements?
As far as I'm aware, restarting the game after using any console commands will re-enable achievements

I think I'm gonna roll a new character now that I beat the game(hardcore/normal, lockpick/speech/guns, wild world/trigger discipline)

I think I'm gonna play a crazy melee bastard that can't pass any checks, and never try to unlock anything or sneak, on normal mode/very hard:

Strength 9
Perception 1
Endurance 9
Charisma 1
Intelligence 1
Agility 9
Luck 10

Built to Destroy
Heavy Handed

Melee
Explosives
Survival

aasoncott

Traced-Velocity said:
As far as I'm aware, restarting the game after using any console commands will re-enable achievements

As in, I can modify my character, save, quit, reload, and I'll have achievements again with my modified character?

I already used up all my Skills...I reached level 30 and whatnot, but I didn't do this right, my Guns, Sneak and Explosives are really really low.. Is there a mod on PC where I can basically "cheat" and add more points to the said Skills without interrupting my game? (without starting a new game?)

I am quite far and I just want to finish this damn thing with a "bang" (Explosives at least 60%) know what I'm saying?

Erudite

aasoncott said:
As in, I can modify my character, save, quit, reload, and I'll have achievements again with my modified character?
Yep, I used 'showracemenu' to edit my character, restarted my game, and I was able to acquire achievements still.

grumble

Varna said:
As much as I love everything Obsidian did for the new Fallout, in the end I still have the same issue I had with Fallout 3.

Level 20 (hardcore, very hard) and my character is pretty much god like in most situations, I can pass just about any check (thanks to comprehension and a ridiculous amount of magazines) and I have an infinite amount of weapons, ammunition and medical supplies.

Thinking I will just finish the game and now and revisit it when a few more challenging gameplay mods come out.

Okay then, throw away most of your weapons and supplies. Especially the best weapons and supplies.

Or start a new game, but play as a sub-optimal class. Use melee only.

Well, I built my new character and I decided to make a girl since I made an old dude last time. I don't want to brag, but I'm pretty fucking good at this.

b7I9N.png

Varna

grumble said:
Okay then, throw away most of your weapons and supplies. Especially the best weapons and supplies.

No way I am using anything close to optimal. I don't play role playing games that way. I know charisma and perception are pretty much worthless, but they are still at 5 because I just can't stand to see them lower.

Wallach

grumble said:

Going pure melee isn't going to make the game any harder, it's stupidly powerful in New Vegas.

Ponti

Traced-Velocity said:
Yep, I used 'showracemenu' to edit my character, restarted my game, and I was able to acquire achievements still.
I'm not sure if this bug still exists in NV as I haven't tried it but if you do it this way don't click Done when you're finished. Just save it instead and then load it up. Hitting Done when you edit your character this way will reset all their stats back to level 1 (it was this way in Oblivion and FO3, I'm assuming it's the same).

Arjen

I had tons of weird shit happening yesterday.
I was attacked by Granny's with rolling pins.
An E-mail in a factory saying the boss didn't like aliens etc, and the flemish :lol
I had to collect debt from someone, i took all his money and his clothes, this seemed to piss him of, because moments later i saw him chasing a guy with a tire iron :lol

Small stuff like this is what makes me love this game so much

IronRinn

Damn it, I think I might have received my first broken quest, specifically "I Could Make You Care":

I had disable Archimedes II before even meeting Veronica so I went and got the Pulse gun, and also the data from Vault 22. When I got back to Hidden Valley after getting the scouting reports for McNamara it seemed like Veronica and he began to have a conversation and then his forced conversation with me cut it off. Looking in my quest log it says I've completed giving him the info from Vault 22 but not giving him the Pulse gun or convincing him of the error of his ways. Finished the rest of "Still In The Dark" and have not been able to complete "I Could Make You Care". At one point I saw a group of 4 heavily armed BoS paladins coming out of the bunker and reading around the web it seems they were supposed to confront me? But I tried talking to them and they just walked away. Talking to McNamara doesn't help either. Gonna try going back to Gibson's shack and see if accessing the terminal again will force the quest to complete or continue looking for console commands to force it. Seems like this quest is buggier than most.

sangreal

IronRinn said:
Damn it, I think I might have received my first broken quest, specifically "I Could Make You Care":

I had disable Archimedes II before even meeting Veronica so I went and got the Pulse gun, and also the data from Vault 22. When I got back to Hidden Valley after getting the scouting reports for McNamara it seemed like Veronica and he began to have a conversation and then his forced conversation with me cut it off. Looking in my quest log it says I've completed giving him the info from Vault 22 but not giving him the Pulse gun or convincing him of the error of his ways. Finished the rest of "Still In The Dark" and have not been able to complete "I Could Make You Care". At one point I saw a group of 4 heavily armed BoS paladins coming out of the bunker and reading around the web it seems they were supposed to confront me? But I tried talking to them and they just walked away. Talking to McNamara doesn't help either. Gonna try going back to Gibson's shack and see if accessing the terminal again will force the quest to complete or continue looking for console commands to force it. Seems like this quest is buggier than most.

You only need to do one of the 3 things. Archimedes, pulse gun, or vault 22 data. Also, he doesn't take archimedes or the pulse gun away from you even if you chose though. Did you talk to Veronica after her confrontation and convince her to stay or leave? If you convinced her to stay those guys should have attacked you, if you convinced her to leave she should tell you to go to the followers of the apocalypse outpost.

IronRinn

sangreal said:
You only need to do one of the 3 things. Archimedes, pulse gun, or vault 22 data. Also, he doesn't take archimedes or the pulse gun away from you even if you chose though. Did you talk to Veronica after her confrontation and convince her to stay or leave? If you convinced her to stay those guys should have attacked you, if you convinced her to leave she should tell you to go to the followers of the apocalypse outpost.

I've tried talking to her but there's no conversation corresponding to her
staying or leaving the Brotherhood
just the usual "I want to talk about you." etc.

I did both because I had a separate quest for Vault 22 to complete anyway and just did them in succession. I'm thinking something must have glitched when their conversation was interrupted. I realize that the Pulse gun stays with me but that option on the quest is still open, seeming to imply that it needs to be fulfilled in order to complete the quest along with convincing him of his misguided attitude but, of course, I cannot get it to trigger.

IronRinn said:
I've tried talking to her but there's no conversation corresponding to her
staying or leaving the Brotherhood
just the usual "I want to talk about you." etc.

I did both because I had a separate quest for Vault 22 to complete anyway and just did them in succession. I'm thinking something must have glitched when their conversation was interrupted. I realize that the Pulse gun stays with me but that option on the quest is still open, seeming to imply that it needs to be fulfilled in order to complete the quest along with convincing him of his misguided attitude but, of course, I cannot get it to trigger.

This quest was a pita to get started. But it hasn't glitched on me yet. I'll only be grabbing one piece of tech to be safe.

tokkun

EricHasNoPull said:
I already used up all my Skills...I reached level 30 and whatnot, but I didn't do this right, my Guns, Sneak and Explosives are really really low.. Is there a mod on PC where I can basically "cheat" and add more points to the said Skills without interrupting my game? (without starting a new game?)

I am quite far and I just want to finish this damn thing with a "bang" (Explosives at least 60%) know what I'm saying?

You don't need a mod, you can just use the developer console. The commands are the same as in Fallout 3.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_console_commands#Stats_and_character_manipulation

Interfectum

Is it possible to wipe out an entire faction in New Vegas? Like one of the smaller factions to the point where they don't even send guys after you? (no spoilers please)

tokkun said:
You don't need a mod, you can just use the developer console. The commands are the same as in Fallout 3.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_console_commands#Stats_and_character_manipulation

Thanks so much for this link, I didn't think anyone will help me with this matter, it's insane the amount of things you can do (manipulate) in the game...I will try to just use a very few of these codes, so I can still enjoy the game for how it's meant to be experienced.

IronRinn

EricHasNoPull said:
Thanks so much for this link, I didn't think anyone will help me with this matter, it's insane the amount of things you can do (manipulate) in the game...I will try to just use a very few of these codes, so I can still enjoy the game for how it's meant to be experienced.

If, however, you want a mod there is this one:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35358

It allows you to basically roll whatever character you want at any point including traits, perks, and skillpoints.

(I used it to swap out some broken perks I had taken like Sniper.)

IronRinn said:
If, however, you want a mod there is this one:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35358

It allows you to basically roll whatever character you want at any point including traits, perks, and skillpoints.

(I used it to swap out some broken perks I had taken like Sniper.)

Will give this baby a try later on today...awesome thanks,

the cheats are a plenty for this game, but if you're not careful they can totally ruin your gaming experience.

There really is no point in Being a "Suvivalist" in the wasteland if you have Godlike stamina and strength. and all the fresh and powerful weapons to your disposal.

I just used the Skill cheat to boost up my "Repair" "Guns" and "Explosives" since they were like below 30.

This game is beyond amazing, especially with all these customization.

Thanks again people

Wallach

I need to get Meltdown out of my EW build. Really gets annoying having to switch weapons out when something closes distance, or you just sort of stumble into a combat situation.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Im in a quagmire, i seem to have gotten to a point in the game where ive made big decisions without knowing it and it seems the end is coming, so for anyone who has completed the main quest could you clarify if indeed i am very near the end, if so i will stop the main quest line and fuck around until im ready to resolve it :D

Spoilers

I have just gone to Caeser and found Benny tied up, he told me to go to the Bunker, which i did, in which House gave me a choice to upload the platinum chip, i did not visit House first, i thought i was doing a side mission and inadvertently stumbled onto the main quest arch

Ledsen

So from the official forums, it seems I'm not the only one with HORRIFIC performance problems after the latest patch. My framerate is cut in half or more (from ~50 fps to ~20 fps outside in Goodsprings, from ~50-60 fps to ~15-20 fps inside the bar in Goodsprings.

It seems this is mostly affecting ATI cards, and many Nvidia users are actually reporting better performance after the patch...

Any other ATI users here whose game is unplayable after the patch?

Solo

Just beat the game after 32 hours, with the Yes Man ending. Very good game, but it really lost me somewhere along the way. The second half of my playthrough I was totally going through the motions and wasn't engaged like I was with Fallout 3, which was my 2008 GOTY and the superior title. Fallout 3 seemed to start slow and gradually build up to something great, whereas New Vegas started with a bang and then petered out. Worth the purchase, but doesn't live up to its predecessor.

Wallach

Ledsen said:
So from the official forums, it seems I'm not the only one with HORRIFIC performance problems after the latest patch. My framerate is cut in half or more (from ~50 fps to ~20 fps outside in Goodsprings, from ~50-60 fps to ~15-20 fps inside the bar in Goodsprings.

It seems this is mostly affecting ATI cards, and many Nvidia users are actually reporting better performance after the patch...

Any other ATI users here whose game is unplayable after the patch?

Someone else mentioned something similar, and that rolling back to 10.9 seemed to help.

Wallach said:
I need to get Meltdown out of my EW build. Really gets annoying having to switch weapons out when something closes distance, or you just sort of stumble into a combat situation.
No way, if that happens you just have to deal with it.:D

Sniper, Commando, and Grim Reaper's Spirit being broken makes it pretty easy to pick the best guns/melee build perks. I might consider replacing Rapid Reloads or Math Wrath with one of those if they weren't broken.
SPECIAL: 7 STR, 5 PER, 7 END, 1 CHR, 5 INT, 6 AGI, 9 LCK
Perks: 01 Fast Shot and Built to Destroy, 02 Confirmed Bachelor, 04 Educated, 06 Bloody Mess, 08 Cowboy, 10 Finesse, 12 Hand Loader, 14 Rapid Reloads, 16 Better Criticals, 18 Purifier, 20 Ninja, 22 Super Slam, 24 Jury Rigging, 26 Nerves of Steel, 28 Living Anatomy, 30 Math Wrath.

JoeBoy101

Solo said:
Just beat the game after 32 hours, with the Yes Man ending. Very good game, but it really lost me somewhere along the way. The second half of my playthrough I was totally going through the motions and wasn't engaged like I was with Fallout 3, which was my 2008 GOTY and the superior title. Fallout 3 seemed to start slow and gradually build up to something great, whereas New Vegas started with a bang and then petered out. Worth the purchase, but doesn't live up to its predecessor.

Have to agree. The first half had me riveted, but once I started getting into McCarran and New Vegas (I waited until doing most everything until returning the Chip) I just started losing interest. And the bugs didn't help. I'd probably rate it slightly higher than Fallout 3. Has a lot of potential, but some of it was squandered.

JoeBoy101 said:
Have to agree. The first half had me riveted, but once I started getting into McCarran and New Vegas (I waited until doing most everything until returning the Chip) I just started losing interest. And the bugs didn't help. I'd probably rate it slightly higher than Fallout 3. Has a lot of potential, but some of it was squandered.
Have to agree the main story isn't as significant as Fallout 3. But Hardcore mode and the increased difficulty/better balance is a welcome change.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
In Xbox, can you turn off the voice for your character without also turning off the voicework of other NPC?

Yuri Lowenthal aggravates me :\

Cheech

Hey, so I just want to thank whoever suggested that I turn off Asus' "Gamer OSD" program on my Asus 6870. It had been crashing to the desktop after playing the intro movie every time. Uninstalled that shit, and voila, it's time to answer the Doc's questions!

I'm psyched to dive back in this weekend. Hope I don't run into another save-game eating bug like I did on the 360.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
SlipperySlope said:
How do you learn Power Armor?

I've talked to every single brotherhood of steel member, and can't figure it out.

You have to either do quests for the brotherhood up to a certain point, or work with
one of your companions.

Arcade Gammon, in the Old Mormon Fort. You can only activate his quest near the end of the game though, once you've selected a side.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If I were to draw a graph how entertaining New Vegas was until shit started going terrible, it would look something like this:

YWKaM.jpg

The amount of crashes, constant bugs and in the end 5 minute loading times made me go "What the fuck am I even doing?". I'm glad I quit the game before finishing it.

Fallout 3 had nowhere near as much bugs as this one and this comes from someone who played F3 for 200 hours.

Yoshichan said:
If I were to draw a graph how entertaining New Vegas was until shit started going terrible, it would look something like this:

The amount of crashes, constant bugs and in the end 5 minute loading times made me go "What the fuck am I even doing?". I'm glad I quit the game before finishing it.

Fallout 3 had nowhere near as much bugs as this one and this comes from someone who played F3 for 200 hours.

Wouldn't it be a vertical line at each crash, unless you were somehow anticipating the crashes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SenorDingDong said:
Wouldn't it be a vertical line at each crash, unless you were somehow anticipating the crashes.
Oh shit :lol You're absolutely right.

Edit: then again, I might as well add that New Vegas is the only game I've managed to actually anticipate crashes. Game chugs like mad and sound starts dropping left and right. It's a matter of seconds...

Top Bottom