• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

grumble

Could someone give me the heads-up on patch status for console (PS3)? I'm REALLY interested in this game, but won't buy it until a good chunk of the major bugs have been worked out. Is there any consensus on what the ETA is for decent playability?

Also, does anyone know why Obsidian can't make a game that isn't totally crippled with bugs? Is there some kind of actual reason here?

So, after all these years of downloading great mods, I got the itch to try it out. I made the Stealth Armor from Anchorage to work :D and the Perforator from the Pitt to work :D

5168990040_177a209647_z.jpg
5168989986_530c84a95a_b.jpg

yeah, Gamebyro has its problems, but for someone who doesn't know how to mod (me), its pretty easy to work with :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Almost 40 hours down the drain, my 360 passed away tonight. It's past warranty and I don't plan on getting another, so I'm gonna have to restart with the PS3 version.

oh well

Salsa

Snuggler said:
Almost 40 hours down the drain, my 360 passed away tonight. It's past warranty and I don't plan on getting another, so I'm gonna have to restart with the PS3 version.

oh well

more like learn your lesson and buy a PC

Nose Master

Snuggler said:

oh well

The PS3 version sounds a lot buggier. The hardware will be fine, but the software will crash 5x as often :lol

Dead Man

Okay, finally got ahold of this, PC for me. I'm about 7 hours in, just got out of Caesars camp, no real bugs to report, but it's not really gripping me. I loved FO3, about 300 hours and many playthroughs with heaps of mods. So far NV feels like a giant fetch quest, does it change?

jax (old)

Banned
Yoshichan said:
If I were to draw a graph how entertaining New Vegas was until shit started going terrible, it would look something like this:

YWKaM.jpg

The amount of crashes, constant bugs and in the end 5 minute loading times made me go "What the fuck am I even doing?". I'm glad I quit the game before finishing it.

Fallout 3 had nowhere near as much bugs as this one and this comes from someone who played F3 for 200 hours.

:lol

what format?

I played on PC and thank god for that, fast loading, console entry to fix game breaking bugs..etc

but yeah~

IronRinn

Well, I went back to an earlier save to see if I could complete "I Could Make You Care". Glad I did, as the quest ending was pretty well done.

Went back to Gibson's shack and accessed the terminal and chose to give McNamara the Vault 22 data (I already had this and the Pulse gun) went back to Hidden Valley and they had their conversation, rest of the quest played out as it should have. Seems like the big thing here is DO NOT INTERRUPT THEIR CONVERSATION. Almost positive that's what borked it for me the first time.

Azrael

Varna said:
As much as I love everything Obsidian did for the new Fallout, in the end I still have the same issue I had with Fallout 3.

Level 20 (hardcore, very hard) and my character is pretty much god like in most situations, I can pass just about any check (thanks to comprehension and a ridiculous amount of magazines) and I have an infinite amount of weapons, ammunition and medical supplies.

Thinking I will just finish the game and now and revisit it when a few more challenging gameplay mods come out.

I think the game would be better balanced if the hard cap for skills was affected by your attribute values. Eg.

1: 40
2: 50 (+10)
3: 59 (+9)
4: 67 (+8)
5: 75 (+8)
6: 82 (+7)
7: 88 (+6)
8: 93 (+5)
9: 97 (+4)
10: 100 (+3)

Tagging a skill would raise that skill's hard cap by 25, to a maximum of 100. So you would need either an attribute value of 10 for a non-tagged skill or a minimum attribute value of 5 for a tagged skill to reach the full cap. This would eliminate dump stats and also balance the Tag! perk and bring it up to parity with the Educated and Comprehension perks in usefulness.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Dead Man said:
Okay, finally got ahold of this, PC for me. I'm about 7 hours in, just got out of Caesars camp, no real bugs to report, but it's not really gripping me. I loved FO3, about 300 hours and many playthroughs with heaps of mods. So far NV feels like a giant fetch quest, does it change?

45 hours in and I feel the same. There felt like far more variety and interesting quest design in FO3 compared to this. No location is nearly as interesting as Megaton or Rivet City was(even Vegas and the Strip are pretty meh), and almost all of the 'major sidequests' I've played are totally forgettable.

I'd call it Obsidian's most dull work so far, but on the flipside, the gameplay improvements are welcome. It's quite a bit cleaned up over FO3's pretty dismal balancing, even if NV also has a huge list of it's own issues.

Maybe the lategame 'story' stuff will be thrilling, but the 'world' and almost everything NOT detached to the main narrative is so trivial and uneventful.

AColdDay

MrTroubleMaker said:
So, after all these years of downloading great mods, I got the itch to try it out. I made the Stealth Armor from Anchorage to work :D and the Perforator from the Pitt to work :D

5168990040_177a209647_z.jpg
5168989986_530c84a95a_b.jpg

yeah, Gamebyro has its problems, but for someone who doesn't know how to mod (me), its pretty easy to work with :D

Is there any way you could post a link to that mod on the nexus?

I loved the Chinese Stealth Suit in FO3, but I wasn't a big fan of the helmet. I wish that there was a mod to remove that.

I love this game but the fucking bugs are ridiculous and its getting really annoying.

As im typing this my game has been stuck in Vats and I cannot do anything for the past 5 minutes while my companions are fighting something off screen.

this is so fucking stupid.

amount freezes ive come across - about 10

amount of times Ive been stuck in Vats like this about 7

i fucking hate obsidian right now...

I feel like I need to save every 5 minutes incase my game will freeze or get stuck.

DSN2K

Does Veronica not have any quests because shes not randomly spoken to me yet about one at all !? I gave her a dress what she liked but nothing has happened since then

Wow really?

Now, When I equip my weathered 10 mm pistol...its invisible in my hand and the screen ebcomes all yellow

and in vats when it shows me in 3rd person....what I am holding in my hand is a Big red rectangle with a yellow around it...

SIGH

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Wow really?

Now, When I equip my weathered 10 mm pistol...its invisible in my hand and the screen ebcomes all yellow

and in vats when it shows me in 3rd person....what I am holding in my hand is a Big red rectangle with a yellow around it...

SIGH

did you mod it?

i guess they didnt put in the models for the modded weathered 10mm (that error you are seeing is for a missing model)

Fixed2BeBroken said:
yea I modded it. sigh sigh sigh @ this game.

Why would they need to think about people who are using mods at all? The game wasn't intended to run that way and when you decided to run it differently and things don't go right you blame it on the programmers? The target of your unhappiness is the modder who didn't fully conceive his hack.

And what is more accurate? Blaming Obsidian or Bethesda?
And the console version has autosave and can load at any time fairly quickly.
I see lots of bitching in this thread when some of it could be saved by... saving properly.

I've had a few problems too but with proper diligence I've never actually had it set me back. I guess I don't get it. Someone enlighten me if possible.

KibblesBits said:
Why would they need to think about people who are using mods at all? The game wasn't intended to run that way and when you decided to run it differently and things don't go right you blame it on the programmers? The target of your unhappiness is the modder who didn't fully conceive his hack.

UM....Sir....no offense, but apparently you don't understand this game or you are a dumb. It's a MOD for a WEAPON in the GAME that you BUY to use ona weapon in the game from a person in the GAME SELLING IT.

water_wendi said:

thanks, but I have 360 version. SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Fixed2BeBroken said:
UM....Sir....no offense, but apparently you don't understand this game or you are a dumb. It's a MOD for a WEAPON in the GAME that you BUY from a person in the GAME SELLING IT.
Check my link above. Fixes your problem.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
UM....Sir....no offense, but apparently you don't understand this game or you are a dumb. It's a MOD for a WEAPON in the GAME that you BUY from a person in the GAME SELLING IT.

There's mods for special weapons?

For the weathered 10mm pistol?

Screencaps, now.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
KibblesBits said:
There's mods for special weapons?

For the weathered 10mm pistol?

Screencaps, now.
i think thats the bug. i think the pre-order weapons were not supposed to be moddable but instead were able to.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Fixed2BeBroken said:
http://i52.tinypic.com/23u3i4j.jpg[IMG]

THATS A SCREENCAP![/QUOTE]
Geez.. just calm down. Its easy to see how someone can be confused when there are mods for the game and in-game mods for weapons.

KibblesBits said:

In this case, neither. The Gamebryo engine is the source of all this shit. Obsidian merely took what Bethesda could offer them (as opposed to creating a new engine outright) and went with it. The problem with gamebryo is that it wasn't really future-proofed to the extent that FO3 and New Vegas took it. There's tons of stuff going on in the worlds, and it compiles and stacks and then the glitches start happening. It's a buggy engine and I hope it's done away with for ESV and FO4.

water_wendi said:
i think thats the bug. i think the pre-order weapons were not supposed to be moddable but instead were able to.

I've never had that option. I'm running the PS3 version I thought the other poster was using a weapon mod for PC. I've run into upgrade mod parts for normal versions of weapons but never one specifically for a special weapon.

In retrospect it seems like a bit of a waste too as the special weapons generally don't need most mod parts...

water_wendi said:
Geez.. just calm down. Its easy to see how someone can be confused when there are mods for the game and in-game mods for weapons.

SO it's cool to assume and jump to conclusions whenever possible in order to point a finger.

sure.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Fixed2BeBroken said:
SO it's cool to assume and jump to conclusions whenever possible in order to point a finger.

sure.
Oh come on. When someone says mod for NV the first thing i think of are mod mods not weapon mods.

Fixed2BeBroken said:

sure.

Next time give more information. I thought you were running PC and using some mod to accomplish what the game wouldn't normally do.

water_wendi said:
Oh come on. When someone says mod for NV the first thing i think of are mod mods not weapon mods.

Sure...but not when someone says they modded it in response to this sentence.

i guess they didnt put in the models for the modded weathered 10mm (that error you are seeing is for a missing model)

KibblesBits said:
Next time give more information.

:lol SERIOUSLY? LOL what more info did you want?

MY BAD GUYS, Its all my fault.

sigh

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
KibblesBits said:
I've never had that option. I'm running the PS3 version I thought the other poster was using a weapon mod for PC. I've run into upgrade mod parts for normal versions of weapons but never one specifically for a special weapon.

In retrospect it seems like a bit of a waste too as the special weapons generally don't need most mod parts...
Like i said.. thats the bug i think. On PC the weathered 9mm is able to be modded. i havent heard of other pre-order weapons being able to be modded. When someone adds a scope or silencer or whatever to the weathered 9mm there is a missing texture ! because the weathered 9mm isnt supposed to be able to have mods so they didnt put in a texture for a modded out weathered 9mm.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Sure...but not when someone says they modded it in response to this sentence.

So either use the fix i linked to like 10 posts ago or go to a save before you added the extended clip.

water_wendi said:
Like i said.. thats the bug i think. On PC the weathered 9mm is able to be modded. i havent heard of other pre-order weapons being able to be modded. When someone adds a scope or silencer or whatever to the weathered 9mm there is a missing texture ! because the weathered 9mm isnt supposed to be able to have mods so they didnt put in a texture for a modded out weathered 9mm.

So either use the fix i linked to like 10 posts ago or go to a save before you added the extended clip.

And this is what I thought happened. :/

water_wendi said:

I thought we were discussing how...

"Oh come on. When someone says mod for NV the first thing i think of are mod mods not weapon mods."

Which is the point of my reply.

so your response makes no sense to my response.

n regards to the old subject you brought back to life....as I said before, I am on 360 and I have done way too much crap since that save point. when I modded the weathered 10mm, I didnt use it until later after modding it till I realized crap this game is buggy.

SRG01

SRG01 said:
Ugh, I went into
Ultra-Luxe and they strangely took away my companions too :(

Well, I just entered the console and moved them back to me. The bug's on the Fallout wikia too... PC version here.

FrankT

Not running as smooth as I hoped. At first it was pretty well, but my biggest problem has been quite a few hard locks(360). Not sure what is going on there. I had a couple with Fable 3, but not anywhere close to this.

Anyhow, having a hard time deciding if I want to side myself with House or Yes Man. If I go House can I still side with NCR? That is really where I want to be at the end I think. Is there a break off point with House after delivering you know what? I mean I haven't really found enough NCR quests yet and I'm tyring to see where this all ties in with the NCR.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
PS3 version was doing "fine", about 8 hard crashes in 30 hours. Then last night I wanted to play a quick game...hard crashed three times in ten minutes.

Don't think I'll be playing anymore till the next patch comes in.

disappeared said:
In this case, neither. The Gamebryo engine is the source of all this shit. Obsidian merely took what Bethesda could offer them (as opposed to creating a new engine outright) and went with it. The problem with gamebryo is that it wasn't really future-proofed to the extent that FO3 and New Vegas took it. There's tons of stuff going on in the worlds, and it compiles and stacks and then the glitches start happening. It's a buggy engine and I hope it's done away with for ESV and FO4.
According to info in this thread it's likely they'll be moving on to other tech engines.

jred250 said:
Is there any way you could post a link to that mod on the nexus?

I loved the Chinese Stealth Suit in FO3, but I wasn't a big fan of the helmet. I wish that there was a mod to remove that.

There is actually. You should be able to find it on New Vegas Nexus

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
chubigans said:
PS3 version was doing "fine", about 8 hard crashes in 30 hours. Then last night I wanted to play a quick game...hard crashed three times in ten minutes.

Don't think I'll be playing anymore till the next patch comes in.

ouch, unless the next patch can make a big diff I might have to pass

I really didn't want to stop playing this game, and the PS3 is my only option now but maybe it really is time I invest in a gaming PC. If I can work out the logistics, maybe just maybe I can get back into this game early next year if and when I get my "rig".

I miss this game already : (

Top Bottom