• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

This game is pretty easy on the PC specs. Gamebryo sucks but the upside is you can run New Vegas on a fairly budget system. Remember it's an engine that runs better on Windows XP than it does Vista or 7.

In comparing this game to Fallout 3:

Plusses
+Less stupid underground sections
+Level cap is 30
+Seems to be more congested with things to find. I used to search for hours in F3 without finding anything new.
+Multiple factions fighting for power
+Is it me, or does the game seem brighter than F3? Maybe it's due to the less underground sections.
+Tons and tons of quests
+Less Super Mutants, more human enemies. I always thought Super Mutants were stupid in F3. They kind of detracted from the overall experience of the game and took away from its quasi-realism. Super Mutants took me from "Wow, I'm playing in a post-apocalyptic world", to "Ugh, I'm playing in a fantasy we'll make up whatever shit we want post-apocalyptic world".

Minuses
-I don't like the story as much. The story is a "eh, who cares" to me. I liked F3's arc of you can be the waste's savior, or kill everybody with the virus and leave it a graveyard.
-The game seems to have less fun non-shooter things to do. (I don't care for gambling). For example, Tranquility Lane. There is nothing in NV that separates you from the rest of the game like Tranquility Lane did in F3. I also like the screaming crazy guy in F3 that put himself in the middle of tons of explosives. Although you do end up killing him, most of the time you're trying to sneak up on him, disarming explosives, until you can get a clean shot.
-The shooter segments don't have as many epic battles. For a few examples, I always loved the battle in F3 in the trenches in the mall. The whole thing was epic. Miniguns firing at you from every direction, enemies literally everywhere, you can jump in and out of trenches like fucking Rambo. And it can be difficult. Plus, this whole section, visually, is awesome. You have the fucked up Washington Monument at one end, trenches, and the messed up Capital Building at the other end. You can tell just by looking at it that a war has been ongoing here for years. Nothing like this in NV from what I've seen. Other cool shooting sections in F3 are the Enclave camp at Red Rock, the cave below Little Lamplight, the fight in the Lincoln Memorial after the Enclave show up, including the sewer section. The end-game shootout is cool too, even though you can't really die. It's cool watching Liberty Prime just fuck shit up and actually be a backup for once.
-Only one big town? And it's nowhere near as interesting as Rivet City
-Outside of Boone, I don't really like any of the characters. I liked Amata in F3, I liked, I forgot his name, the guy that wants you to blow up Megaton. The Lion's Pride commander was cool. The Brotherhood elder was cool. President Eden was cool. Just listening to Eden's broadcasts was kind of haunting to me. Your father was cool. Most of the characters in NV just seem... stale to me. Just completely void of emotion.
-Let's face facts, the map is smaller. There are huge portions of the map that you just cannot visit.
-The stupid fucking VATS that just won't exit. The VATS animation will sometimes just go on and on for minutes, sometimes resulting in my death. While I see my companions running around fighting and I cannot do anything. It just gets stuck in that mode.
-The cool shit seems to be harder to find and get. For example, power armor. You can only get that if you find the Brotherhood of Steel and do their quests. No other way to get the best armor in the game (I think?). I damn near finished the game with my armor being a broken ass fucking Metal Armor that has 6 DT that I got off a Jackal leader. I didn't know where the Brotherhood were, and the enemy drops were shit. Just about every enemy has absolute SHIT for armor. I couldn't even find a consistent source of Combat Armor (I only found one the entire game).
-On that note, where are the enemies with power armor? Unless you kill the Brotherhood, where are you supposed to get power armor? I found a grand total of one power armor before I located the Brotherhood and nearly completed the game. And on THAT note, the enemies even somewhat near the end of the game typically have shit for weapons.
-Is it me, or are energy weapons less powerful in this game?

Steeven

SlipperySlope said:
In comparing this game to Fallout 3:

-The cool shit seems to be harder to find and get. For example, power armor. You can only get that if you find the Brotherhood of Steel and do their quests. No other way to get the best armor in the game (I think?). I damn near finished the game with my armor being a broken ass fucking Metal Armor that has 6 DT that I got off a Jackal leader. I didn't know where the Brotherhood were, and the enemy drops were shit. Just about every enemy has absolute SHIT for armor. I couldn't even find a consistent source of Combat Armor (I only found one the entire game).

-On that note, where are the enemies with power armor? Unless you kill the Brotherhood, where are you supposed to get power armor? I found a grand total of one power armor before I located the Brotherhood and nearly completed the game. And on THAT note, the enemies even somewhat near the end of the game typically have shit for weapons.
-Is it me, or are energy weapons less powerful in this game?

I found myself some great armor just outside Vegas. It's with those guys with the green rifles (forgot their names). A brother and a sister running that shit. Just complete a few quests for them and there you go. Von Graft?

Also, I got myself Enclave armor. I got someone in my party whose parents worked for the Enclave. In some quests he asked me to round up a gang of former Enclave soldiers to help me in the battle for the Hoover Dam. They trained my in using it, it's awesome (and it looks awesome too).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
SlipperySlope said:
+Seems to be more congested with things to find. I used to search for hours in F3 without finding anything new.

Agree with most everything you wrote, but this I WHOLLY disagree with. I'm level 25 and have sunk 50 hours into exploring almost the entire world. So much of Mojave is dull! For every half decent location to visit, I discover a dozen 'camps' or 'hotels' that have jack shit to do or discover within them. FO3 did feel larger, but the emptiness wasn't as pervasive given just how much larger it was; NV is smaller and feels emptier given how little there is to actually discover. Quest design is worse as well. So much of NV are basic collection or fetch quests that lacks the overall connection I feel I have on shaping the wasteland. Only the 'narrative' strip stuff offers that real sense of imprint. Too often I head to new points on my compass only to think "that's it?" another stupid campsite?? More dissapointing is that the dozens of sidequests I HAVE done, only a very slight handful are memorable. FO3 left a far better impression in terms of quest design in my mind.

SlipperySlope said:

There is a ridiculously difficult Deathclaw cave down south not far from Nipton(IIRC) with some named 'power armor' set to loot. You do basically have to kill at least a dozen deathclaws inside including the 'legendary' deathclaw guarding the armor deep inside. Not an easy task, in fact even bumping the difficulty down to very easy temporarily, I did not have a chance facing against him despite slaughtering all his brethren(playing in hardcore mode too). Ended up using a stealthboy to sneak past and snag it. But yea, that is one, probably the best power suit in the game given how bloody hard it is to obtain.

Hearing all these complaints about bugs and crashes: I seriously wouldn't recommend this game for any console... I have it for Pc and my PC isn't the latest greatest rig, it's about almost three years old now and nothing special...

I put in over 130 hours into this game and I had no more than 6 game crashes within those 130 hours.

As far as game bugs go, almost non existent.. except ( around three times now) I will get stuck between two rocks and weird narrow places where my character can't move at all ( resorting me to reloading my last save)

These may sound like a "big deal" they really aren't considering how huge the Mojave map is and how intense the game can get with all the weapons and armor and junk you collect and trade etc. etc.

Best of all on my PC, this game can run at a consistent smooth 60 fps on 720p, I can have AA at 4x, and Mulitsampling at 6x, I just need to lower some of the LOD effects (not drastically) and set water effects on LOw, so say Medium settings overall, very short load times and voila!

I was kinda getting tired the other day , so I laid on the couch and gave the ol' 360 controller a try, and maaan! does using a game pad (controller) slow you down in this game, big time!!

Switched back to Mouse and Keybaord !

It's meant to be played on the PC, that's the bottom line people, sorry to say it.

Ledsen

EricHasNoPull said:
Hearing all these complaints about bugs and crashes: I seriously wouldn't recommend this game for any console... I have it for Pc and my PC isn't the latest greatest rig, it's about almost three years old now and nothing special...

I put in over 130 hours into this game and I had no more than 6 game crashes within those 130 hours.

As far as game bugs go, almost non existent.. except ( around three times now) I will get stuck between two rocks and weird narrow places where my character can't move at all ( resorting me to reloading my last save)

These may sound like a "big deal" they really aren't considering how huge the Mojave map is and how intense the game can get with all the weapons and armor and junk you collect and trade etc. etc.

Best of all on my PC, this game can run at a consistent smooth 60 fps on 720p, I can have AA at 4x, and Mulitsampling at 6x, I just need to lower some of the LOD effects (not drastically) and set water effects on LOw, so say Medium settings overall, very short load times and voila!

I was kinda getting tired the other day , so I laid on the couch and gave the ol' 360 controller a try, and maaan! does using a game pad (controller) slow you down in this game, big time!!

Switched back to Mouse and Keybaord !

It's meant to be played on the PC, that's the bottom line people, sorry to say it.

Yeah it's awesome on the PC, before the latest patch I had to use mods to avoid getting horrible game-breaking stuttering, now after the latest patch the stuttering is gone but my FPS is suddenly down from 40-50 to a steady 20 and no fixes are working... and I'm not alone...

yeah, it's awesome on PC... really awesome........................................

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Was watching NBC Nightly News and they had some story about the sorry state of the Vegas economy and Nevada as a whole. They had a series of shots of the Hoover Dam and all I could think about while watching it was rushing across shooting at Legionaries.

Pardon me. I'm still bitching about companions 'disappearing'...

why the hell didn't Obsidian create an option when talking to another potential companion to 'switch' on the spot (and your current companion would either go back to where you found them or to the Lucky 38)??

I have been without Boone for like 6 fucking hours and the game is still registering that he's with me. There are also quests that have all the objectives blacked out like I finished them, yet I haven't gotten a 'Quest Completed' message. Oh... and I love the quests that I just flat out can't complete because of glitches (i.e. I Don't Hurt Anymore).

Another hilarious glitch: my bad ass, older, mutton-chop wearing survivor has a girl voice for some reason. :( :lol

This is the PS3 version, btw.

Duki

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
Another hilarious glitch: my bad ass, older, mutton-chop wearing survivor has a girl voice for some reason. :( :lol

This is the PS3 version, btw.
yeah i thought this was a bug too, but its not, just shitty voice acting. when you have a female character its voice is even girlier than the male one :lol

dunno wtf they were thinking

tokkun

TheJollyCorner said:

why the hell didn't Obsidian create an option when talking to another potential companion to 'switch' on the spot (and your current companion would either go back to where you found them or to the Lucky 38)??

I have been without Boone for like 6 fucking hours and the game is still registering that he's with me.

I don't know if this is something that got patched in, but I just noticed it yesterday on the PC version. When I go to the map, it now shows a triangle with a label saying where my companions are.

This helped me out, since I told ED-E to wait for me when going into The Fort, but forgot to say "follow me" after I left.

Man, I get lost easily in big buildings in this game. Walked around Gomorrah forever trying to find a couple of dudes I was supposed to talk for some quest before finally just giving up.

UGH! ok, i think im about done with this game....

My ED-E disappears for whatever reason. But yet he is no where to be found,and apparently, Everyone acts like he is still with me when he isnt.

God....this game.....

TheJollyCorner said:

I have been without Boone for like 6 fucking hours and the game is still registering that he's with me.

Yea, same situation with me except it's Ed-E....WTF

Im glad i got boone, THinking about quitting this game all together...but the fact I still got boone makes me consider still playing. but damn is this ever bullshit.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Im glad i got boone, THinking about quitting this game all together...but the fact I still got boone makes me consider still playing. but damn is this ever bullshit.

what happened? Did Ed-E show back up for you finally?

Fixed2BeBroken said:
I torched the NCR at Helios One, he gave me a fair warning and then when I tried to leave I didn't have a stealthboy so I had to kill some more. He has nothing to say to me anymore.

TheJollyCorner said:
what happened? Did Ed-E show back up for you finally?

no, when i say same thing happened to me, I am just referring to ED-E. I kept boone this whole time. Just ED-E disappeared and hasnt returned at all...yet I still get his sensor bonus and people still talk to me as if ED-E still exists. This is one of the most buggiest blockbusters EVER.

WAAAAY more buggier than fallout 3. I didn't have as many problems as I did with this game. wtf

PolishQ

Since the patch, game is crashing consistently after about 3 minutes of play. Have tried disabling the few mods I was using, no help. Guess I'm out of luck until the next patch. On PC btw.

I actually feel a bit anxious about this game right now. I think I'm getting close to the end finally after 50+ hours but there's still just too much stuff to do. After watching some gameplay videos for lulz I see tons of areas and questlines I haven't even heard about. That means I have still at least 10 hours of sidequesting in front of me.

Can't complain though.

Steeven said:
I found myself some great armor just outside Vegas. It's with those guys with the green rifles (forgot their names). A brother and a sister running that shit. Just complete a few quests for them and there you go. Von Graft?

killed all these dudes first thing

megalowho

I really liked this game at first. Thought the quests and mini storylines were better than Fallout 3, and I was able to overlook the general jankiness in favor of the excellent RPG goodness and wealth of content. It was more Fallout, and I was getting sucked in for sure.

But I'm playing it on the 360 and the bugs are starting to catch up to me now. Minor bugs I can deal with, but not the game breaking ones I've been encountering recently. Like the fact that Yes Man has completely disappeared and is nowhere to be found. Worse, the game has locked me out of the New Vegas gates for no reason. It's giving me the prompt it gives before you first obtain the ability to enter. The load times are excruciatingly long after playing for a while. And as cool as it is to have my home in Lucky 38 with all my companions, it's just the least functional thing, ever. So many load times and steps to get there, and I can't fast travel to other locations until I leave the building. Tenpenny Tower had a balcony for fast travel, would that have been so hard to implement? It's a goddamn tower. Not like I can even get back there now if I wanted to..

I'm barely 20 hours in. I put a good 100 into Fallout 3. Maybe I'll take a break and wait until the patch arrives, see if it fixes my problems and the good starts to outweigh the bad once again. But right now, I'm about to just give up.

Trent Strong said:
Man, I get lost easily in big buildings in this game. Walked around Gomorrah forever trying to find a couple of dudes I was supposed to talk for some quest before finally just giving up.

also killed all these dudes

this is the best game

Trent Strong said:

I get lost in the Vaults in this game.

Never happened in Fallout 3. :(

Ok Guys I am at a crossroads as far as the main plot/quest goes for this game, I seriously don't know which way to go I tried one way and I didn't really feel good about it, made me feel guilty and wrong, so I went back to my last save :lol

To explain further ...
So I have two main quests pending... One is an order from Mr. House to "Wipe out the Brotherhood of Steel" and the other is an order from YesMan to "Kill or Disable Mr. House"

I did Kill and Disable Mr. House and I felt like shyt doing it, not only I lost Karma, he also said something about "fool, now all hope for humanity has been lost, why did you do this?..." (something along those lines).. not that I wholeheartedly trust the bastard.. But I felt too evil, doing what I did to him.

So I went back in time (went back to my last save) and did not do that mission, the alternative is to Wipe out the Brotherhood... I also don't wanna do this.. the Elder's been so nice to me, they are a pretty reasonable folk, they even accepted me as one of their own for helping them, they gave me an armor along with armor training, I just want those poor hermits to get out of the bunker and see some sunlight and enjoy life, don't see why I need to wipe them out, not when they are already hurtin'...
plus I think they will eventually get along with the NCR

...So what to do here? shall I just leave those missions as is for now and continue on to the Hoover Dam and see what's going on over there? (I haven't really explored Hoover Dam that much yet)

Do I have to make a decision and go with it? or I can still push the game's plot forward by ignoring those two plots (quests) for now? Thanks

TheJollyCorner said:
EricHasNoPull-

asked the same question a page back.
Same situation you're in. :lol

Seems like we've gotta make a hard choice there, buddy. :(

:lol :lol

blame space said:
Fuck Mr. House. Dude wasn't helping shit. I pulled his cords and shot him in the face for shiggles.
Yeah I did that too, felt so wrong and dirty and reverted back to my earlier save :D

gifife said:
Do Veronica's quest If I could make you care, then decide if the Brotherhood deserves to see sunlight.

hmm This might change things...

Considering I have very close and sentimental feelings for Cass
I stuck around for her and killed everyone that wronged here without any hesitation wiped out the Van Grafts of course and I even didn't hesitate to feed some shotgun slugs right to the face of that Crimson Caravan owning, gray haired old slut! And it felt damn good, because it was for revenge and what she did to Cass and her small Caravan family business...

I've never met Veronica yet, so yeah Gifife, hmm she might actually change my opinion about the BroHood of Steel interesting...

You gotta love a game that gets you emotionally revved up with moral choices and decisions ...I don't know many games that could do that, and if you don't respect this game at least for those reasons alone, than you're not playing it right!

gifife said:
Do Veronica's quest If I could make you care, then decide if the Brotherhood deserves to see sunlight.

This is another one that just bottomed out and I never received a 'Quest Completed' notice. She told me
she's decided she's willing to leave The Brotherhood behind and travel with me from here on out.
. The quest is still listed as Active for some reason, though...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
TheJollyCorner said:
EricHasNoPull-

asked the same question a page back.
Same situation you're in. :lol

Seems like we've gotta make a hard choice there, buddy. :(

In my variation of this subquest
(NCR gave the orders to kill the BoS), I found that I was able to talk the Elder into promising that the Brotherhood would support NCR in any upcoming conflicts with the Legion. I went back to the NCR Colonel (sounded like Michelle Forbes from Star Trek/Battlestar Galactica) and she was satisfied with this. In my endgame wrap up, BoS and NCR had come to a relatively friendly detente, though poor Veronica never got back with them.

Anyone else wonder why the Brotherhood and the NCR don't like each other? All I can muster is "We fought at Helios One, so we don't like each other". ?!?!??!!?!?!

Wallach

So do you guys use that cinematic kill cam? I only really use VATS heavily on my EW guy, but outside VATS that kill cam is fucking mega annoying (and sometimes seems to linger long enough that it starts to feel awkward). Switching it to "Player View" seems much more useful to me as it gives you the cool slo-mo while allowing you to continue to have control, like little bursts of bullet time.

On a different topic, out of all the weapons you have found, what has been your absolute favorite? The one you keep coming back to no matter how many new toys you came across?

stupei

SlipperySlope said:
Anyone else wonder why the Brotherhood and the NCR don't like each other? All I can muster is "We fought at Helios One, so we don't like each other". ?!?!??!!?!?!

They're both more interested in their own power and control over the shit that gets them power than they are the well being of the communities around them. They don't like each other because they are in each other's way.

Wallach said:
So do you guys use that cinematic kill cam? I only really use VATS heavily on my EW guy, but outside VATS that kill cam is fucking mega annoying (and sometimes seems to linger long enough that it starts to feel awkward). Switching it to "Player View" seems much more useful to me as it gives you the cool slo-mo while allowing you to continue to have control, like little bursts of bullet time.

On a different topic, out of all the weapons you have found, what has been your absolute favorite? The one you keep coming back to no matter how many new toys you came across?

really thinking about changing to player view because of this post.. thanks man.

also fav weapon so far is like all of them.. Plasma Defender is especially dope

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
SlipperySlope said:
The Brotherhood is at odds with everyone. They are very different then how they were portrayed in FO3. On top of that those two groups have been at war for like 100 years or something.

Sorry I guys I don't mean to be an attention whore here, but what is the best advice regarding my post above?

Shall I just leave those two quests alone for now and do Veronica's quests? or just keep carrying on? I am confused... this "Make some Moral choices quick!!" bulls*** is getting to me!:D

EricHasNoPull said:
Sorry I guys I don't mean to be an attention whore here, but what is the best advice regarding my post above?

Shall I just leave those two quests alone for now and do Veronica's quests? or just keep carrying on? I am confused... this "Make some Moral choices quick!!" bulls*** is getting to me!:D

fuck it...
I've decided...

House is going down. Guy should have died hundreds of years ago :lol

Wallach

blame space said:
really thinking about changing to player view because of this post.. thanks man.

also fav weapon so far is like all of them.. Plasma Defender is especially dope

Not a bad choice, easy to feel safe in the wasteland with a Glock on your hip. Especially one that can turn people into goop.

Xilium

TheJollyCorner said:
This is another one that just bottomed out and I never received a 'Quest Completed' notice. She told me
she's decided she's willing to leave The Brotherhood behind and travel with me from here on out.
. The quest is still listed as Active for some reason, though...

You should have gotten a scene upon leaving the bunker that would have finished the quest.

Wallach said:

Gauss Rifle + Boone Spotter Perk + ED-E Enhanced Sensors Perk = Win

TheJollyCorner said:
fuck it...
I've decided...

steal all his fuckin shit after, too.. secret floor safe in the cocktail room

Wallach said:

I like to snipe, from far far away, so I go for my Ratslayer.
But if the range is too close I use Chop Chop or my Weathered 10MM.

TheJollyCorner said:
fuck it...
I've decided...

:lol :lol I've been thinking about that all along and that also is the choice I might go with if I can't find another alternative.. the trouble with that is..
The dude really sounds like he is on a mission to save humanity and has a long term, serious game plan, after all he has lived ( kept himself alive) more than 200 years that should be enough evidence that he is serious about his goals etc. but than I also question that he is just one dude, why should I kill an entire clan because of one (important) dude
...ahhh who knows!

Xilium said:
Gauss Rifle + Boone Spotter Perk + ED-E Enhanced Sensors Perk = Win

This is pretty much how I'm rollin' at the moment! ;)

also along with Boone's Spotter Perk I'm using my Anti-material (!?) rifle to snipe some Deathclaws from far away hilltops ( I know sniping Deathclaws from far might seem a little cheap and cowardly) but seriously we're talking Deathclaws here !.. I can only run and piss in my pants so many times while reaching for the "Quick Load" button :lol

Xilium

EricHasNoPull said:
:lol :lol I've been thinking about that all along and that also is the choice I might go with if I can't find another alternative.. the trouble with that is..
The dude really sounds like he is on a mission to save humanity and has a long term, serious game plan, after all he has lived ( kept himself alive) more than 200 years that should be enough evidence that he is serious about his goals etc. but than I also question that he is just one dude, why should I kill an entire clan because of one (important) dude
...ahhh who knows!

Why kill him? I just disconnected him and let him sit there.

I completed the "I could make you care" and "Still in the dark" quest lines. I'm on the independent route though so I had no choice but to ignore the BoS (or kill them all) so I did. They'll probably become some kind of nuisance during Act III though which is unfortunate since I solved all their problems peacefully.

EricHasNoPull said:
also along with Boone's Spotter Perk I'm using my Anti-material (!?) rifle to snipe some Deathclaws from far away hilltops ( I know sniping Deathclaws from far might seem a little cheap and cowardly) but seriously we're talking Deathclaws here !.. I can only run and piss in my pants so many times while reaching for the "Quick Load" button :lol

I do the same with Deathclaws (well, all enemies really). I like the anti-material rifle as well but my gun skill blows so I gave it to Boone once I got it. With both of us being super long range snipers, hardly any enemies anywhere near us. Vaults and other indoor places are a slightly different story though...

Salsa

So this is beyond retarded and i thought i should post it, not thread-worthy since its livejournal material.

Lately ive been kinda realizing that i was running short of HDD space, wich was weird considering i hadnt been downloading/installing that much stuff or anything, i thought "whatever" and moved on. So today after a New Vegas session i realize that suddenly something like 10gb of HDD space was gone, wtf! i started uninstalling every game i wasnt playing at the moment (basically everything except for New Vegas), erasing every bit of unused media i had laying around (some stuff i really wanted to hold on to, but i needed the space).

So after i clear up some space, i go to my fraps folder, only to find out that i had a SHIT TON of New Vegas videos in the video folder. Turns out the fuckin quick-load key is the same one as the Frap's one to start recording a video, and i had fuckin fraps opened the whole time i played the game, since the first time i played.

Right click on the folder - Propiertes - Size: 115GB

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
You had your Fraps video set to F9? :lol You also didnt notice the red FPS counter? Too funny :lol

Might want to change Fraps video key to something not used for PC gaming quickload or quicksave keys :lol

Enjoy the framerate bump lol

Salsa

water_wendi said:
You had your Fraps video set to F9? :lol You also didnt notice the red FPS counter? Too funny :lol

Might want to change Fraps video key to something not used for PC gaming quickload or quicksave keys :lol

I started using Fraps again just before i started New Vegas, and i have it set up so it doesnt show the red counter.

Surprisingly performance was perfect, no FPS slowdown.

Still, pretty retarded of me :lol

Top Bottom