• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Dead Man

Fixed2BeBroken said:
that sucks, losing boone is worse than losing anyone in the game imo just cause he is so Fucking beast. best companion imo.
Yeah, I sent him back because he started using melee no matter what, then he never showed up. :(

Vetteboy98 said:
Won't Boone just head back to Novak?
I checked there too. No luck.

tokkun said:
I think that only works for companions who disappear while still in your party, not companions who disappear after you tell them to go back to the Lucky 38.

The Vault 22 elevator restored my lost ED-E (who people still referred to as in my party), but not my lost Boone (who I had sent back but never appeared in the Lucky 38 or Novac). I had to use the dev console to get him back.
What console command did you use?

I have a question for the experience FO:NV modders. Can someone explain what archive invalidation is? Why would you need to do this for certain mods and how you would go about doing it? The New Vegas nexus throws around a bunch of terms that are confusing and the archive invalidation FAQs are hard to read at least for me..

Timber

bonesmccoy said:
I think it's more that there weren't more than 3 characters that were really that interesting. That, and a couple of forced joke things like 'The Republic of Dave', made parts of the game feel 'lifeless'.

For me, I just felt that the F3 writers wanted to tell a much darker tale in the vein of the first Fallout. And they did! The horrid things you can do in that game for no reason aren't even touched upon in FNV. I mean, we're never given the chance to be the ones who
open the toxic waste drums in Searchlight and kill the whole town
, for example.
Honestly, the really good characters in New Vegas are few and far between as well. It's just that they reach heights not dreamed of by F3. But I never could count many of them. And I don't really see how the Republic of Dave is any more or less forced than the Tabitha stuff in NV, or a gang that models itself after Elvis.

F3 can get dark, and I love it for it. Also love it for how silly it can get. There's something really great about how bipolar it is. It's all a bit obvious, a bit dumb, but that's part of the series' charm. Fallout has never been very subtle in its humour, nor in its violence.

EmCeeGramr said:
F3 was great (I was exaggerating a bit with the lifeless comment, though in comparison with New Vegas it certainly looks that way), but their idea of video game morality fell into that pitfall of making you choose between Baby-Raping Satan-Hitler 3000 or Ultra Gandhi Jesus Who Dies For The Wasteland's Sins*.
Agree with this. That stuff belongs in Fable. NOT IN MY FALLOUT.

Wallach

Timber said:
Honestly, the really good characters in New Vegas are few and far between as well. It's just that they reach heights not dreamed of by F3. But I never could count many of them. And I don't really see how the Republic of Dave is any more or less forced than the Tabitha stuff in NV, or a gang that models itself after Elvis.

F3 can get dark, and I love it for it. Also love it for how silly it can get. There's something really great about how bipolar it is. It's all a bit obvious, a bit dumb, but that's part of the series' charm. Fallout has never been very subtle in its humour, nor in its violence.

I actually agree with you for the most part. I think FO3 gets too much hate. There's actually a bunch of writing in NV that was done by Bethesda but nobody seems to notice.

At this point in the series, the games almost seem to be alternating in sequels. Like, FO3 feels more like an extension of FO1 and NV seems much more like a continuation of FO2. I can get behind that.

Just get together for FO4 and hire some people that can do basic math to figure out your fucking combat system. Assholes. Fallout deserves better.

Timber

Wallach said:
Just get together for FO4 and hire some people that can do basic math to figure out your fucking combat system. Assholes. Fallout deserves better.
Fallout 4, a Bethesda/Obsidian/Bioware joint.

Timber said:
Fallout 4, a Bethesda/Obsidian/Bioware joint.

Final Boss: I will destroy the Wasteland!

FO4 MC: [SPEECH 50] Don't do that.

Final Boss: That won't work on me!

FO4 MC:
QAJul.png

Final Boss: Shit, you said it in colored text. Never mind, I surrender.

Ricker

I`m totally confused now,i`ll be vague because it`s main quest stuff,but I just got a bunch of failed quest,doing something I thought meant something else...there`s a few things I wanted to happen that did but other stuff i`m confused about :lol ...I know I have to make a choice at one point for the end game to unfold in a certain way but i`m not sure i`ll like it....anyway,I have a nice save before this chain happened so I can always go back.

FrankT

Hey Bethesda where is that console mega update......need it ASAP. Rex runs like a little girl and will not fight a thing plus too many lock ups to count. Get it done.

Double D

Ended up at vault 3 because of the
BoS quest. Speeched my way in and talked to motor runner and got the part. I explored after and found the NCR dude. He told me he was sent on a mission to kill motor runner. I lied to him and said Hsu sent me. Anyways I told him I'd kill motor runner and he left. I killed MR and I got a quest failed thing 'Ada Baby Somethingorother'. I'm guessing I should have maybe talked to Hsu beforehand? None of this activated a quest and I don't know where this NCR dude ran off to.

EmCeeGramr said:
Final Boss: I will destroy the Wasteland!

FO4 MC: [SPEECH 50] Don't do that.

Final Boss: That won't work on me!

FO4 MC:
QAJul.png

Final Boss: Shit, you said it in colored text. Never mind, I surrender.

I really would like to see an incredibly complex conversation tree for talking people out of doing things. I always laugh a little when someone is so vehemently against an idea, yet you have 2 sentences that just shatter their foundation.

Can someone let me know if Slayer (speeds up unarmed/melee attacks by 30%) also means that AP costs in VATS are reduced by 30%? E.g. an attack taking 20 AP would then take 14 after the perk is chosen?

Also, are all your unarmed attacks unblockable when done through VATS?

tokkun

Vik_Vaughn said:
BoS quest. Speeched my way in and talked to motor runner and got the part. I explored after and found the NCR dude. He told me he was sent on a mission to kill motor runner. I lied to him and said Hsu sent me. Anyways I told him I'd kill motor runner and he left. I killed MR and I got a quest failed thing 'Ada Baby Somethingorother'. I'm guessing I should have maybe talked to Hsu beforehand? None of this activated a quest and I don't know where this NCR dude ran off to.

Aba Daba Honeymoon is a quest given to you by the Great Khans. The character you killed is essential in that quest. It is unrelated to the NCR.

Eh, I hate the way that some companion quests can be locked off forever (obviously unless you use the console) if you don't know what to do beforehand. For example, apparently I can never do Raul's sidequest now because I talked to a guy in Novac and exhausted his dialogue. I'm sorry, New Vegas, that I followed the road to the relatively safe town and did easy "talk to people" quests instead of first heading to the Super Mutant and Nightkin infested mountain covered in radiation while I was like level 8.

ydnawel

Neo Member
EmCeeGramr said:
Eh, I hate the way that some companion quests can be locked off forever (obviously unless you use the console) if you don't know what to do beforehand. For example, apparently I can never do Raul's sidequest now because I talked to a guy in Novac and exhausted his dialogue. I'm sorry, New Vegas, that I followed the road to the relatively safe town and did easy "talk to people" quests instead of first heading to the Super Mutant and Nightkin infested mountain covered in radiation while I was like level 8.
PC version?

Vik_Vaughn said:

The NCR guy is up some stairs I believe. I'm assuming you killed all the fiends after you killed Motor Runner, that's a good thing if you want to save the NCR guy, I found him first before exploring too much and brought him back down with me to back me up and he lived for about another 4 seconds before a fiend shot him in the head.

stupei

Is there any word yet on when or if they intend to patch in fixes for the leveling up issues for both Boone and Veronica? (Even though, overall, the Boone "problem" is way more popular than the Veronica one, I'm sure.)

Kurtofan

Kind of off topic but I need to vent
I'm playing Fallout 2 I'm in the tanker in San Francisco and fuck I can't get fucking past those fucking monsters in the hold(to activate the computer)they always wreck my shit and my five companions' shit.
This is making me go mad,because even with enclave armour they still stop from moving and it's slow as fuck(stupid stupid turn system)
My character isn't fighting oriented so it's not an option.
And it's part of the main quest of course.

This situation makes me think that New Vegas is much much better than Fallout 2.
Please excuse me for venting.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
bhlaab said:
Yeah, except no.
Oh wow how did i miss that? Yea im going to go with no as well :lol Fallout 2 felt like an extension of Fallout 1 and Fallout NV feels like an extension of Fallout 2. Fallout 3 feels like its own thing.. the mood is different, the setting is different, the theme is different, the game systems are different. The only thing that is the same is Vault Boy.

Yeah, FO3 feels like someone watched someone else play Fallout a couple years ago or read some wiki entries and then made a game. There's Fallout stuff in there, but it all has some weird difference or contrivance to it.

Kurtofan said:
I'm playing Fallout 2 I'm in the tanker in San Francisco and fuck I can't get fucking past those fucking monsters in the hold(to activate the computer)they always wreck my shit and my five companions' shit.
This is making me go mad,because even with enclave armour they still stop from moving and it's slow as fuck(stupid stupid turn system)

This situation makes me think that New Vegas is much much better than Fallout 2.
Did you give Cassidy a Gauss Gun (and power armour!), Sulik a Super Sledge (and power armour!) and Marcus a Turbo Plasma Rifle?

Kurtofan

Danne-Danger said:
Did you give Cassidy a Gauss Gun (and power armour!), Sulik a Super Sledge (and power armour!) and Marcus a Turbo Plasma Rifle?
I plead guilty about not giving Cass the right equipment but Sulik doesn't like me and Marcus well Marcus did not react well to Dr Henry's "antidote"(which in hindsight is hilarious)
My other companions are fodder(Vic,Lenny,Gorvis,the robot dog)

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So after my first and a half
(Yes Man with NCR branchoff)
playthrough, I'm trying a kill everyone playthrough for fun. However, isn't it impossible to actually finish the game if I do this? At the very least, I'm guessing I have to keep
Yes Man
alive?

hermit7

DarthWoo said:
So after my first and a half
(Yes Man with NCR branchoff)
playthrough, I'm trying a kill everyone playthrough for fun. However, isn't it impossible to actually finish the game if I do this? At the very least, I'm guessing I have to keep
Yes Man
alive?

You can't kill
Yes Man

Wallach

bhlaab said:
Yeah, except no.

Think what you want, but the game's large focus on a mysterious source of super mutant menace and very dark and rather humorless feel throughout the majority of the main quest feels very similar to Fallout 3 to me. In Fallout 2, the comic styling is basically present throughout the entire game and not confined to out-of-the-way moments and the game as a whole is not particularly dark or serious like Fallout was. New Vegas is much the same way, as it doesn't try to be particularly serious at any point in the plot, and at times goes out of the way to make important plot moments silly.

Kurtofan said:

You could always skip that route to enabling the tanker. Consider using the Hubologists to assist you in your efforts to reach the Oil Rig.

Fallout 3 is better in my opinion. It actually has atmosphere and attatchment. The graphics also seem slightly better and the game runs better with waaaaaay fewer bugs. No idea what is up with that, but NV just looks so bland with it's one weather type.

Wallach

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I just want that new patch ASAP. I hope it restores corrupt saves. My 36 hour file is lost possibly forever. :(

Well if it makes you feel better, most people reported that saves that showed up as corrupted loaded correctly after the last PC patch.

Wallach said:
Well if it makes you feel better, most people reported that saves that showed up as corrupted loaded correctly after the last PC patch.

I hope that is the case on consoles. I'm playing Fable 3 as a result of all this and I'm in more of a Fallout mood right now.

Wallach said:
Think what you want, but the game's large focus on a mysterious source of super mutant menace and very dark and rather humorless feel throughout the majority of the main quest feels very similar to Fallout 3 to me. In Fallout 2, the comic styling is basically present throughout the entire game and not confined to out-of-the-way moments and the game as a whole is not particularly dark or serious like Fallout was. New Vegas is much the same way, as it doesn't try to be particularly serious at any point in the plot, and at times goes out of the way to make important plot moments silly.

Yes, the tone of Fallout 2 left me rather cold after playing Fallout. It's probably why I liked Fallout 3 more than 2 as well.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
hermit7 said:
You can't kill
Yes Man

You mean I shouldn't if I want to finish the game or the game won't let me? I ask because I've
shot him to death outside the Tops before,
although I always reloaded afterward.

I love his lines when shooting him.
"Bad robot! Baaaaaad robot!" "I'll do better next time, I promise!"

On another note, it's amusing that I now seem to be on NCR's shit list just an hour in, after massacring Sloan. An NCR Ranger came after me, but wouldn't initiate combat no matter what I said to her. So instead, I reloaded a save from just before she approached me, and fast traveled to the Deathclaw den north of Sloan, and waited until they appeared there instead. Much to my surprise, instead of rushing off to fight the deathclaws and get slaughtered, she got stuck in a rock while her partner rushed off alone. Thus, I presented her with a gift of a pulse grenade in her pocket, and so in return she gave me her Ranger armor, although not voluntarily. It's a nice armor to have so early, although I suppose it's going to lead to some troubles as I head south toward the prison.

Alright, there are three bugs that are really fucking getting on my nerves (360).

First, is that when in first person, my guy's arms go all fucked and the gun aims either super high, or disappears entirely.

Second, and this may tie into the first, is that sometimes my gun won't actually shoot a bullet. It just makes the noise and nothing happens. Also, sometimes when I reload the animation spazzes out and it looks awful.

Third, sound bugs. I'll ready my gun, and the sound doesn't generate until three seconds later.

None of this happened during my first ~30 hours, and now, after 60, everything is just getting clusterfucked.

I'm really close to shelving this one until (if/when) it all gets fixed.

:(

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
disappeared said:
Alright, there are three bugs that are really fucking getting on my nerves (360).

First, is that when in first person, my guy's arms go all fucked and the gun aims either super high, or disappears entirely.

Second, and this may tie into the first, is that sometimes my gun won't actually shoot a bullet. It just makes the noise and nothing happens. Also, sometimes when I reload the animation spazzes out and it looks awful.

Third, sound bugs. I'll ready my gun, and the sound doesn't generate until three seconds later.

None of this happened during my first ~30 hours, and now, after 60, everything is just getting clusterfucked.

I'm really close to shelving this one until (if/when) it all gets fixed.

:(
Have you tried clearing the cache?

Wallach said:
Man, that sounds wack. Does it happen with any type of gun?

I only notice it with two handed weapons (rifles, shotguns, etc). I don't use pistols enough to even remember if I've encountered the glitch with them. I do remember it happening with a melee weapon once or twice.

It just really fucks with the immersion. I'll be creeping through a vault, exploring, and my gun is going wonky as shit - in and out of combat.

Wallach

disappeared said:
I only notice it with two handed weapons (rifles, shotguns, etc). I don't use pistols enough to even remember if I've encountered the glitch with them. I do remember it happening with a melee weapon once or twice.

It just really fucks with the immersion. I'll be creeping through a vault, exploring, and my gun is going wonky as shit - in and out of combat.

Does it have anything to do with the shitty hand-fed reload bug? Like anything that loads cartridges one at a time is bugged right now. If you're on console you're dealing with the older version of that bug - on PC they tried to fix it and made it quite a lot worse. If it actually happened with a melee weapon I have no idea what would be going on, though. I know the PC bug annoys the shit outta me.

stupei

I've had the arms going really high while holding two-handed weapons thing happen off and on, but never permanently. Whenever it starts, I sort of stop walking for a second, see if it fixes, and if it doesn't I walk around just a little bit and then it usually rights itself. Pop my Pipboy out a few times and see if that fixes it. Pause and unpause.

I'm sure you've tried all these things, but yeah, that's all I've done before and it's always worked. Seems like it's just some kind of weird hangup in the animation or getting stuck on the environment somehow. Walking away from that area is all it takes nine times out of ten, but I have to do it when the weirdness first starts or it seems to get really stuck.

Top Bottom