• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

FrankT

disappeared said:
Alright, there are three bugs that are really fucking getting on my nerves (360).

First, is that when in first person, my guy's arms go all fucked and the gun aims either super high, or disappears entirely.

Second, and this may tie into the first, is that sometimes my gun won't actually shoot a bullet. It just makes the noise and nothing happens. Also, sometimes when I reload the animation spazzes out and it looks awful.

Third, sound bugs. I'll ready my gun, and the sound doesn't generate until three seconds later.

None of this happened during my first ~30 hours, and now, after 60, everything is just getting clusterfucked.

I'm really close to shelving this one until (if/when) it all gets fixed.

:(

Raises hand on the first bug. Put on the list Bethseda. Put em all on it.

stupei

It also seems to happen most frequently if I'm crouched in sneak mode, which is what has made me wonder if it's something to do with environment and animation interfering with each other. First few times it happened I was walking over rocky terrain and the arms moved at first as if they were jostled, and then just... kept going. :lol

Wallach

stupei said:
It also seems to happen most frequently if I'm crouched in sneak mode, which is what has made me wonder if it's something to do with environment and animation interfering with each other. First few times it happened I was walking over rocky terrain and the arms moved at first as if they were jostled, and then just... kept going. :lol

That definitely sounds on the PC bug. Reloading anything that hand feeds while you're crouched will fuck up the script that runs which allows you to interrupt the reload with the fire button (like stopping mid-reload to fire your shotgun). It's totally fucked on PC right now though so if you DON'T fire the script takes forever to kill (way longer than your actual reload would take) and the game does not take kindly to your character being in two states at the same time.

hermit7

DarthWoo said:
You mean I shouldn't if I want to finish the game or the game won't let me? I ask because I've
shot him to death outside the Tops before,
although I always reloaded afterward.

I love his lines when shooting him.
"Bad robot! Baaaaaad robot!" "I'll do better next time, I promise!"

On another note, it's amusing that I now seem to be on NCR's shit list just an hour in, after massacring Sloan. An NCR Ranger came after me, but wouldn't initiate combat no matter what I said to her. So instead, I reloaded a save from just before she approached me, and fast traveled to the Deathclaw den north of Sloan, and waited until they appeared there instead. Much to my surprise, instead of rushing off to fight the deathclaws and get slaughtered, she got stuck in a rock while her partner rushed off alone. Thus, I presented her with a gift of a pulse grenade in her pocket, and so in return she gave me her Ranger armor, although not voluntarily. It's a nice armor to have so early, although I suppose it's going to lead to some troubles as I head south toward the prison.

He will come back even if you kill him.

disappeared said:
Alright, there are three bugs that are really fucking getting on my nerves (360).

First, is that when in first person, my guy's arms go all fucked and the gun aims either super high, or disappears entirely.

Second, and this may tie into the first, is that sometimes my gun won't actually shoot a bullet. It just makes the noise and nothing happens. Also, sometimes when I reload the animation spazzes out and it looks awful.

Third, sound bugs. I'll ready my gun, and the sound doesn't generate until three seconds later.

None of this happened during my first ~30 hours, and now, after 60, everything is just getting clusterfucked.

I'm really close to shelving this one until (if/when) it all gets fixed.

:(

these are bugs I can live with...All the other numerous bugs that can destroy your game or mess your game up ie. corrupted save files, freezing of death, lost companions forever, etc) are what piss me the fuck off and make me hate this fucking game.

Gestahl

universalmind said:
Fallout 3 is better in my opinion. It actually has atmosphere and attatchment. The graphics also seem slightly better and the game runs better with waaaaaay fewer bugs. No idea what is up with that, but NV just looks so bland with it's one weather type.

Attachment to what? The DC wasteland was barren and lifeless with little in the way of color or depth. It's no Oblivion, thankfully, but there's little in the way that grounds the player or convinces them that this is in any way a functioning society. There are more raiders and supermutants and bags of body parts and mutilated corpses than actual people to give a shit about

Maaseru

Banned
OMG! So I was gonna wait until i finished the game. I've had it since day 1 and have taken my sweet time with it( and juggled it with CoD and Fable). I wanted to kinda do a recap of all the weird glitches I've found throughout the game, but just now the weirdest of all happens.

So I was running around the strip. I have Rex and Boone as companions. Anyways I'm running down the strip and I hear the weird trotting behind me, I think it's probably Rex, and in a way it was. I kept running till I got curious and just as I was to turn around to look at what Rex was doing a Brahmin kinda pops out out of nowhere at my side. The thing is I turn around completely to look for Rex and loose sight of the brahmin because I don't see REx, but when I turn back to look for the weird brahmin its gone and Rex is in his place. WTF? A model change ut of nowhere? DId Rex seriously become a mutated cow?

Wallach

Maaseru said:
OMG! So I was gonna wait until i finished the game. I've had it since day 1 and have taken my sweet time with it( and juggled it with CoD and Fable). I wanted to kinda do a recap of all the weird glitches I've found throughout the game, but just now the weirdest of all happens.

So I was running around the strip. I have Rex and Boone as companions. Anyways I'm running down the strip and I hear the weird trotting behind me, I think it's probably Rex, and in a way it was. I kept running till I got curious and just as I was to turn around to look at what Rex was doing a Brahmin kinda pops out out of nowhere at my side. The thing is I turn around completely to look for Rex and loose sight of the brahmin because I don't see REx, but when I turn back to look for the weird brahmin its gone and Rex is in his place. WTF? A model change ut of nowhere? DId Rex seriously become a mutated cow?

Sounds like a fucked up Old Spice commercial. :lol

Arjen

Anyone met the Nightkin trying to sell you Tubleweed?
Fucker came out of nowhere and scared the living crap out of me.

Gestahl said:
Attachment to what? The DC wasteland was barren and lifeless with little in the way of color or depth. It's no Oblivion, thankfully, but there's little in the way that grounds the player or convinces them that this is in any way a functioning society. There are more raiders and supermutants and bags of body parts and mutilated corpses than actual people to give a shit about
Attachment to your own character because you are alone with a dog most of the time. I felt more attached to Dogmeat than any character in NV and he can't talk. The whole idea is that most societies have broken down because DC was hit worse and you're trying to start it up again. Playing as a kid with back story and a goal of kick starting society is more endearing to me than some courier who gets shot and now wants to shoot the other guy. Mojave also has the more barren landscape. It's in the middle of a desert so I don't know what your point is there. New Vegas just feels like a GTA story without cars.

I also love in NV how there are invisible walls everywhere. You can't jump over those tiny rocks. You have to go around for about five minutes. So handy.

Gestahl

universalmind said:
Attachment to your own character because you are alone with a dog most of the time. I felt more attached to Dogmeat than any character in NV and he can't talk. The whole idea is that most societies have broken down because DC was hit worse and you're trying to start it up again. Playing as a kid with back story and a goal of kick starting society is more endearing to me than some courier who gets shot and now wants to shoot the other guy. Mojave also has the more barren landscape. It's in the middle of a desert so I don't know what your point is there. New Vegas just feels like a GTA story without cars.

I also love in NV how there are invisible walls everywhere. You can't jump over those tiny rocks. You have to go around for about five minutes. So handy.

Ah yes, the goal here is just finding some guy while the goal in Fallout 3 is kick starting society, hmm quite.

Daddy where are you, come back to me

obonicus

Gestahl said:

FO3 did desolation really, really well. The plot itself is garbage, but you get that this world is too ravaged to actually survive without intervention, there's no real external threat.

Gestahl

obonicus said:
FO3 did desolation really, really well. The plot itself is garbage, but you get that this world is too ravaged to actually survive without intervention, there's no real external threat.

A big problem with the world not feeling genuine is probably because OF the plot and how much they copy pasted ideas from the original 2 fallout games. Rampaging horde of supermutants dumbed down even further to idiot orc-men, a killer virus that instead of being airborne is now placed into the water because that will surely work better, the Enclave fucking about in general, we need water oh gods we need water, being from a vault, the whole conclusion with Vault 101 in general, most of it feels disjointed and chaotic in execution, making the plot little more than a string of reference points to hit. There are rare instances like Tranquility Lane and Oasis and the Outcast Brotherhood/Elder Lyons' Deranged White Knight Jamboree Brotherhood schizm that try to make the game something of its own, but the main plot being such a mess hampers things a great deal.

Gestahl said:
Ah yes, the goal here is just finding some guy while the goal in Fallout 3 is kick starting society, hmm quite.

Daddy where are you, come back to me
The game doesn't stop when you find your father. Even if it did, it's still infinitely better than a poorly thrown together GTA revenge story. Oh, man, become the very evil you set out to destroy! Or will you help the NCR? Creative story telling.

What also sucks is 60% of the locations are useless huts thrown into the game so they could say "look, this game has more locations."

Gestahl said:
A big problem with the world not feeling genuine is probably because OF the plot and how much they copy pasted ideas from the original 2 fallout games. Rampaging horde of supermutants dumbed down even further to idiot orc-men, a killer virus that instead of being airborne is now placed into the water because that will surely work better, the Enclave fucking about in general, we need water oh gods we need water, being from a vault, the whole conclusion with Vault 101 in general, most of it feels disjointed and chaotic in execution, making the plot little more than a string of reference points to hit. There are rare instances like Tranquility Lane and Oasis and the Outcast Brotherhood/Elder Lyons' Deranged White Knight Jamboree Brotherhood schizm that try to make the game something of its own, but the main plot being such a mess hampers things a great deal.
If you mean it doesn't feel authentic because it feels lazily thrown together with ideas based on the earlier games, how are you defending New Vegas' authenticity? So many people thought it was an expansion, and then it's filled with bugs, and not optimized. How do you un-optimize a game? And then the story is a direct rip off of numerous movies and games before it. If that isn't lazy, copy-and-paste game making I don't know what is.

BUT IT HAZ COWBOY HATZ, ITZ ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AUTHENTIC!!!!! NEW GAME!! BETS GAME EVARRRRR

Gestahl

You're kind of incoherent, you know

Like this

If you mean it doesn't feel authentic because it feels lazily thrown together with ideas based on the earlier games, how are you defending New Vegas' authenticity? So many people thought it was an expansion, and then it's filled with bugs, and not optimized. How do you un-optimize a game? And then the story is a direct rip off of numerous movies and games before it. If that isn't lazy, copy-and-paste game making I don't know what is.

is complete babbling nonsense. Everyone thought it was an expansion, so it's not authentic! It's buggy so it's not authentic! All these nameless films and videogames it ripped off! Ehhhh!! I don't know what any of this means together or how it combines to form any sort of coherent whole, you might want to work on this a bit more if you want your points to come across clearly.

Also, I've never actually brought up New Vegas on this page, but sure cowboy hats are nice I guess

obonicus

Gestahl said:
Also, I've never actually brought up New Vegas on this page, but sure cowboy hats are nice I guess

Not many people are saying that NV isn't authentic, other than the crazy person you're arguing with. On the contrary, a lot of posters have made the opposite claim, that FO3 isn't the real Fallout 3, while NV is. And I do like NV more than FO3, but I still think FO3 was a really good game.

As to them taking ideas from the other games... well, what else could they do? Fans were having conniption fits at the very notion that anything not Van Buren was being called FO3. The tiny minority of very vocal internet PITAs already was dead set on not accepting anything Bethesda did as more than Oblivion with guns (I was kind of one of them, up until I played FO3 late in 2009). Taking ideas from the other games was inevitable; Bethesda had to bridge the old and the new. Yeah, the BOS lost some nuance (but not entirely -- they acknowledge the old BOS via the Outcasts). Yeah, some details of the setting changed, sometimes fundamentally. But hey, at least they moved the setting as far away as possible from the old games, which helped account for discrepancies. The presence of super mutants on the east coast is explained, but nonetheless feels a bit tacked on, but I think the presence of the Enclave in the DC area is more than plausible, and it also makes sense that the BOS would have tried to establish a presence in Virginia.

Kurtofan

universalmind said:

New Vegas' story isn't about finding the guy who shot you.That's the the premise of the story.
The real story is about the future of the Mojave Wasteland.I'm not just talking about RNC vs Legion vs House.It's much bigger , and much more subtle in the same time, than that.
Fallout 3's story was not about the DC wasteland(seriously the game could have been set in Australia) it's about a guy who looks for his father then saves the world( or kill every living beings in the world :villainous laughter) .
Also the side quests are too inconsequential:Bring back grandma her violin,take care of the lone android,etc...)
Not saying that they are bad but in New Vegas you actually feel like you're doing something that really matters.

Ricker

Arjen said:
Anyone met the Nightkin trying to sell you Tubleweed?
Fucker came out of nowhere and scared the living crap out of me.

Hehe,yeah I jump sometimes from those or on a few occasions,I almost shoot my companions when they have a hard time following you and take a different path to rejoin you,and they appear all of a sudden,turning a corner,running at you,especially in a new Fiend area :lol

Gestahl

obonicus said:
Not many people are saying that NV isn't authentic, other than the crazy person you're arguing with. On the contrary, a lot of posters have made the opposite claim, that FO3 isn't the real Fallout 3, while NV is. And I do like NV more than FO3, but I still think FO3 was a really good game.

As to them taking ideas from the other games... well, what else could they do? Fans were having conniption fits at the very notion that anything not Van Buren was being called FO3. The tiny minority of very vocal internet PITAs already was dead set on not accepting anything Bethesda did as more than Oblivion with guns (I was kind of one of them, up until I played FO3 late in 2009). Taking ideas from the other games was inevitable; Bethesda had to bridge the old and the new. Yeah, the BOS lost some nuance (but not entirely -- they acknowledge the old BOS via the Outcasts). Yeah, some details of the setting changed, sometimes fundamentally. But hey, at least they moved the setting as far away as possible from the old games, which helped account for discrepancies. The presence of super mutants on the east coast is explained, but nonetheless feels a bit tacked on, but I think the presence of the Enclave in the DC area is more than plausible, and it also makes sense that the BOS would have tried to establish a presence in Virginia.

I agree they were in a rough spot, but they really had to choose what they were going to do. Keep it on the westside and expand the concepts introduced in the original games, or take it in a new direction somewhere else. Instead, they decided to set the game outside their offices while retaining and/or rehashing most of the concepts from the originals, which made for an odd and bizarre mashing of ideas.

I actually liked the concept of the DC Brotherhood issues, and it's completely viable as a story element. They just do nothing with it. And I don't object to the Enclave having a presence in the Capital at all, but the way they went about it was awful. The Enclave in Fallout 2 were genocidal assholes, but the ones in 3 took it to mustache twirling railroad track damsel about to be squished villainy. And it's a shame because they had an interesting idea going with the
Compresident wanting to enact Richardson's old plan because it's a dumb computer and Autumn just wanting to gain control of the water supply and achieving Enclave dominance in a vital sector
, but they do nothing with it and pat you on your head and tell you to move along. You can never deviate from the main story plot in any significant way beyond sequence breaking the shit out of it in unintentional ways, and no choice is offered beyond being a genocidal monster on a whim or being Pipboy Jesus. It's most pronounced at the end of the Broken Steel DLC and the end of the main campaign, the choices there were hilarious, but for bad reasons.

Gestahl said:
You're kind of incoherent, you know

Like this

is complete babbling nonsense. Everyone thought it was an expansion, so it's not authentic! It's buggy so it's not authentic! All these nameless films and videogames it ripped off! Ehhhh!! I don't know what any of this means together or how it combines to form any sort of coherent whole, you might want to work on this a bit more if you want your points to come across clearly.

I was trying to decipher what I would consider babbling nonsense in your previous post. From what I could gather, you said the game was lazily put together so it didn't feel authentic. I'm saying NV is one of the laziest games I've ever seen. You don't have to actually say the words New Vegas to make implications.

How does "the enclave fucking about, gods we need water, oh gods, being from a vault, vault 101's conclusion etc." have anything to do with the discussion of FO3 pulling off the loner vibe? And you're talking to me about coherency? I still can't figure out what the hell you were talking about and now you're lecturing me on being coherent because I had a hard time trying to analyze what you meant then coming up with a reply. :D

Kurtofan said:
New Vegas' story isn't about finding the guy who shot you.That's the the premise of the story.
The real story is about the future of the Mojave Wasteland.I'm not just talking about RNC vs Legion vs House.It's much bigger , and much more subtle in the same time, than that.
Fallout 3's story was not about the DC wasteland(seriously the game could have been set in Australia) it's about a guy who looks for his father then saves the world( or kill every living beings in the world :villainous laughter) .
Also the side quests are too inconsequential:Bring back grandma her violin,take care of the lone android,etc...)
Not saying that they are bad but in New Vegas you actually feel like you're doing something that really matters.
I already mentioned that here

become the very evil you set out to destroy! Or will you help the NCR?

Although I don't see how it's much bigger than changing the direction of Mojave Wasteland. Do you mean in the untold future the outcome of Mojave could effect everything else?

Also, I don't get how saving the world is less notable than changing the direction of one state.

Zeliard said:
You know someone's making a strong argument when they unleash ineffective attempts at sarcasm that apply to nothing.
I was taking the piss out of Gestahl's previous post where he talks about FO3 not being genuine because it has cliches such as dumb supermutants. Cowboy hats and accents aren't any different when it comes to using devices to create genuinity. I guess the capital letters were too subtle for you.

TTG

Finished it tonight, the final shootout was actually fun. Sure happy as hell I Gamefly'd it though.

Playing on hardcore and hard(or whatever the second from the toughest difficulty is). Legate took a clip from the brush gun(with fancy bullets) to the face, which is 120 a hit BEFORE the psycho bonus and kept right on going. A couple of rounds from the anti material rifle finished him off, then I took care of his friends. Got Yes Man to throw the general off the Hoover Dam as a nice bonus.

The faults with this one are so numerous, I'll just focus on stuff I liked:

1. Having different factions vying for control of the game world was a great idea. It could of been more interesting if there were major battles interwoven as you progress through the main quest, one side gaining an advantage and vice versa. Having a stand off that builds up to one battle always kept me an arms length away from really learning much of anything. How is it that I know more about the ghouls at Helios 1 than the commanding generals of the NCR and Legionares?

2. Companions really worked out well this time around. They had a lot to say, were helpful in battle and came with cool quests. Just as importantly, they never really got lost.

The rest of the game was a major step back from FO3. This ranged from injecting a huge dose of filler in the form of terribly boring quests to completely failing in making Vegas an interesting place to explore. Add to that, that not a single quest from New Vegas would even crack the top 10 from FO3(lot's of contributing factors here; bad writing, much simpler quest lines and outcomes) and that the whole thing is borderline unplayable(on PS3 at least)... I said I wouldn't go into the faults. :D

It lasted me through that gap before AC and GT5 arrived, not a bad game if you can overlook the technical and artistic ineptness of the whole thing.

Kurtofan

universalmind said:
I

I already mentioned that here
You make it sound like there's only two choice,when in fact there are a lot of ways to go.
Plus the NCR aren't the good guys and the Legion the bad guys.
They both represent different kind of civilisations with their qualities and their defaults.

Although I don't see how it's much bigger than changing the direction of Mojave Wasteland. Do you mean in the untold future the outcome of Mojave could effect everything else?

Also, I don't get how saving the world is less notable than changing the direction of one state.
It's less cliché to begin with,and yes what happens to the Mojave affects everything else.
It's geopolitics:if the Legion gets the Mojave,they borders the NCR and prepare for its conquest,the NCR needs the Mojave's ressources and can't let the Legion expands,etc...

Love this game, but I agree that Fallout 3 was better. I just found the world more interesting. In FO3, I can boot it up now (300+ hours later) and still end up finding a place that I had never been before (a little sewer or cave or something that only shows up on the local map, or doesn't even show up on the map at all). I've checked my local map so many times in NV, searched around so much, but never seem to find anything like that (over 100 hours into NV). granted I'm still finding things in NV, but they are all obvious places or compass markers.

Plus I preferred the story in FO3. There seems to be too much going on at once in NV.

My biggest problem with NV though is the fetch quests. Go here, talk to person A, come back and report, go there and talk to person B, come back and report, etc.

I do like one thing about the NV story though: there is no clear "good guys". Every group has their negatives. And the final quarter or so of the NV main line is much better than the final quarter of the original non-Broken Steel FO3 mainline.

Gestahl

Add to that, that not a single quest from New Vegas would even crack the top 10 from FO3(lot's of contributing factors here; bad writing, much simpler quest lines and outcomes)

Holy shit

Half of this is even factually wrong, there are probably more ways to resolve the White Glove Society questline than there were deviations in the entirety of Fallout *EXAGGERATIONS FOR EFFECT!!!* but good god that is something

Kurtofan said:
You make it sound like there's only two choice,when in fact there are a lot of ways to go.
Plus the NCR aren't the good guys and the Legion the bad guys.
They both represent different kind of civilisations with their qualities and their defaults.
I know there are more outcomes. Every aspect and outcome shouldn't have to be spelled out to get a point across. I am discussing this with people who have played the game and should understand. Even so, those are the two options most people will consider.

Kurtofan said:
It's less cliché to begin with,and yes what happens to the Mojave affects everything else.
It's geopolitics:if the Legion gets the Mojave,they borders the NCR and prepare for its conquest,the NCR needs the Mojave's ressources and can't let the Legion expands,etc...
Honestly, as generic as it is, I wouldn't call a story about turning on a tap more cliche than gunning down the guy who shot you then taking his place atop his evil empire (with whatever sides or decisions you decide to take:D)

Isn't it common knowledge that an action such as the outcome of a decisive battle will have an effect? I wouldn't really call it subtle, which is why I asked to made sure I didn't miss something.

TTG

JodyAnthony said:
And the final quarter or so of the NV main line is much better than the final quarter of the original non-Broken Steel FO3 mainline.

Very true. The end game choices in the main quest line were the most interesting part of the game, for me. FO3 main guest is forgettable.

262.jpg

745.jpg

746.jpg

About sums up oblivion with guns. Bethesda's dialogue makes the perfect fallout retard run.

Kurtofan said:

Fallout 3 is not about finding your father, it's just the premise. Every Fallout game works like that, it sets up an initial mission that leads to something far bigger.

Plenty of the side quests are not inconsequential. Blood Ties, Tenpenny Tower, Power of the Atom, even Oasis are about effecting the DC wasteland. You do choose how settlements exist, I don't know how that is anything less than something that matters. And there are a few quests that deal directly with DC: Stealing Independence, Galaxy News Radio, Head of State, The Waters of Life.

Not to mention how interesting it is to explore DC ruins, all the museums especially. You find out early, at Galaxy News Radio, what your father is up to, and it becomes far bigger than just looking for him.

Now certainly the moral ambiguity is pretty poor. I think The Pitt had an actually impressive moral choice about stealing a baby to save the people, Free Labor, but seeing how that worked out made it an easy choice. But the game certainly made me hesitate, and forced me to play both sides out to see what my actions would cause. Even Point Lookout's main quests never really let me know who was the good guy, until the end anyway.

There are plenty of ways of building up New Vegas, everyone seems to agree the writing and VA are better ad the companion system is actually functional now, but Fallout 3 did a lot right.

Gestahl

Hahaha Bloodties, I always liked how there were more members in the vampire larping gang than there were citizens in the community they were terrorizing. Good times, good times, lots of beartraps and mines.

Point Lookout was the best DLC, but its main quest was so superficial.
Side with Desmond and watch his mansion explode, or side with the brain and...watch Desmond's mansion explode. And then make the decision all over again, only one side will backstab because they're a stupid brain in a jar.
The whole punga fruit lobotomy adventure was pretty killer though, I have to say that. Pitt was also my favorite DLC storywise, since Bethesda actually attempted some moral ambiguity even if it was still a bit ham-handed and on the nose.

stupei

universalmind said:
I know there are more outcomes. Every aspect and outcome shouldn't have to be spelled out to get a point across. I am discussing this with people who have played the game and should understand. Even so, those are the two options most people will consider.

Honestly, as generic as it is, I wouldn't call a story about turning on a tap more cliche than gunning down the guy who shot you then taking his place atop his evil empire (with whatever sides or decisions you decide to take:D)

Isn't it common knowledge that an action such as the outcome of a decisive battle will have an effect? I wouldn't really call it subtle, which is why I asked to made sure I didn't miss something.

The choices in Fallout 3 were incredibly black and white, much more so than what you keep implying is the case in New Vegas. Just because you feel like reducing New Vegas' plot to "hurr hurr become the evil you seek to destroy!" doesn't mean that it's about that at all. I mean, Fallout 3 literally focuses on a karmic bar between good and evil and your choices are essentially between saving everyone or killing them all.

While the Legion are pretty obviously closer to evil than the NCR, it's not like the NCR are saints or that House is an ideal option either. There is no good or happy choice in New Vegas, just alternatively less shitty options. Pretty sure that's part of what's subtle about it, at least comparatively.

Also pretty sure that what was meant by "authentic" is that while you felt Fallout 3 drew you in with its genuine feeling of isolation, it's possible that other people already familiar with Fallout's canon found it harder to engage with the world created because they thought the patchwork elements from past games felt forced. The isolation, however authentic, is kind of inconsequential if the world you feel like you're alone in rings false to you.

VistraNorrez said:
snip

There are plenty of ways of building up New Vegas, everyone seems to agree the writing and VA are better ad the companion system is actually functional now, but Fallout 3 did a lot right.

Fallout 3 did a lot of things right, but the idea that New Vegas isn't an improvement in almost every way is kind of baffling, particularly when we're discussing quality of storytelling.

stupei said:
The choices in Fallout 3 were incredibly black and white, much more so than what you keep implying is the case in New Vegas. Just because you feel like reducing New Vegas' plot to "hurr hurr become the evil you seek to destroy!" doesn't mean that it's about that at all. I mean, Fallout 3 literally focuses on a karmic bar between good and evil and your choices are essentially between saving everyone or killing them all.

While the Legion are pretty obviously closer to evil than the NCR, it's not like the NCR are saints or that House is an ideal option either. There is no good or happy choice in New Vegas, just alternatively less shitty options. Pretty sure that's part of what's subtle about it, at least comparatively.

Also pretty sure that what was meant by "authentic" is that while you felt Fallout 3 drew you in with its genuine feeling of isolation, it's possible that other people already familiar with Fallout's canon found it harder to engage with the world created because they thought the patchwork elements from past games felt forced. The isolation, however authentic, is kind of inconsequential if the world you feel like you're alone in rings false to you.
I reduced the plot for discussion purposes. I did it to Fallout 3 too, so what's the big deal? I'm not here to write an essay about how the game plays out to people who have already played it out. Still, that is NV's actual plot. Destroy the NCR, destroy the Legion or take over New Vegas and destroy both.

Totally agree with your third paragraph.

New Vegas was an improvement in most gameplay areas, disregarding ridiculous bugs and performance issues. I really like hardcore mode, iron sights, ammo, weapon mods but was it 2 years and 90 dollars worth of improvement?

stupei

universalmind said:
I reduced the plot for discussion purposes. I did it to Fallout 3 too, so what's the big deal? I'm not here to write an essay about how the game plays out to people who have already played it out. Still, that is NV's actual plot. Destroy the NCR, destroy the Legion or take over New Vegas and destroy both.

Totally agree with your third paragraph.

New Vegas was an improvement in most gameplay areas, disregarding ridiculous bugs and performance issues. I really like hardcore mode, iron sights, ammo, weapon mods but was it 2 years and 90 dollars worth of improvement?

This is obviously really subjective, but I do wonder if my enjoyment also comes down a lot to personal preference in play style. I really like my first playthrough to be based on trying to talk my way out of things, being more diplomatic and fairly under powered, and in that regard New Vegas is a vast improvement. The dialogue is just better, and the choices feel more nuanced in discussion. Even the quests that people keep saying are fetch quests are fun to me, because I often get the chance to manipulate someone at least a little. But if your play style is more focused on the combat, I can see how the improvements might feel more minimal overall, definitely.

Ricker

So i`m doing Veronica`s quest and I can`t finish it because there is a door that needs a key...where is the damn key??? Veronica spoilers,just in case:

She use to be in the Brotherhood of Steel,I have done all the BoS quests,i`m idolised with them so I decked her in the Brotherhood armor set and all,we now have to go into Vault 34 to retrieve a Pulse gun,if it still exists it says...I already had cleared a large section of that vault before but now further in,after a lot of ghoul fighting,I reach a door in the Armory,where the quest marker shows to go in but it needs a key...so I can`t complete this? where is that key...also i`m out of Bobby Pins,where is a good place to find those?

Hyunkel6

Ricker said:
So i`m doing Veronica`s quest and I can`t finish it because there is a door that needs a key...where is the damn key??? Veronica spoilers,just in case:

She use to be in the Brotherhood of Steel,I have done all the BoS quests,i`m idolised with them so I decked her in the Brotherhood armor set and all,we now have to go into Vault 34 to retrieve a Pulse gun,if it still exists it says...I already had cleared a large section of that vault before but now further in,after a lot of ghoul fighting,I reach a door in the Armory,where the quest marker shows to go in but it needs a key...so I can`t complete this? where is that key...also i`m out of Bobby Pins,where is a good place to find those?
IIRC, you have to go through the overseer's office to get the key to the armory. In order to open the door to the office, you have to find two passcodes hidden within the submerged sections (underwater sections) of the vault. They are really easy to miss. I actually used a FAQ to find both.

My problem with Fallout 3's "save the Capital Wasteland!" story is that by the end I wasn't sure who I was saving. Rivet City? Megaton? I guess those guys count, tiny as they are. Every other community can either pack up and leave (the Brotherhood), is portrayed as unambiguously evil (Paradise Falls, The Enclave, the East Coast Super Mutants), or chooses to isolate itself from the rest of the Wasteland (Vault 101, Oasis, Tenpenny Tower, Underworld, Little Lamplight, Andale, Republic of Dave).

The Mojave Wasteland feels more like a real society of connected communities and places. I wanted a map option to show the borders and boundaries and connections between places, showing how they changed and moved depended on what you did.

It was also more interesting playing a Wastelander who is implied to have some kind of experience with this sort of stuff due to his career, rather than a special teenager who must save the world like some JRPG.

tokkun

stupei said:
Fallout 3 did a lot of things right, but the idea that New Vegas isn't an improvement in almost every way is kind of baffling, particularly when we're discussing quality of storytelling.

Well, I totally agree that in almost every bullet point New Vegas would be superior. Yet there's a certain something about the experience of Fallout 3 that made it a much more powerful and unique-feeling to me.

EmCeeGramr said:
My problem with Fallout 3's "save the Capital Wasteland!" story is that by the end I wasn't sure who I was saving. Rivet City? Megaton? I guess those guys count, tiny as they are. Every other community can either pack up and leave (the Brotherhood), is portrayed as unambiguously evil (Paradise Falls, The Enclave, the East Coast Super Mutants), or chooses to isolate itself from the rest of the Wasteland (Vault 101, Oasis, Tenpenny Tower, Underworld, Little Lamplight, Andale, Republic of Dave).

The Mojave Wasteland feels more like a real society of connected communities and places. I wanted a map option to show the borders and boundaries and connections between places, showing how they changed and moved depended on what you did.

I think you're right, but I think that the things you seem to be complaining about are ultimately essential to the feel of Fallout 3. It was a game that presented the post-nuclear wasteland as a world of overwhelming isolation, loneliness, and a pervasive feeling of menace.

Even what civilization you found didn't really feel like civilization. Even the non-hostile characters don't seem to be "good" per-se. Rather than being humanity in the process of recovering (as in the other Fallout games) it felt like humanity in the process of dying. It's one of the few games where I can play the "good karma" path and feel really good about it, because it seems like the Wasteland really needs to have someone who sets an example to provide hope for the rest of humanity.

Kurtofan said:

It felt completely opposite to me. New Vegas felt like you were unnecessarily inserting yourself in something that didn't really concern you, and generally weren't making things better.

I don't think anyone should be arguing about anything making sense in a game series where you can eat 200 year old snack cakes to regain health after being shot with energy weapons in a gunfight with a 200 year old undead creature.

g23

European pre-madonna
Is it me or does the world of NV not feel as fucked-up or barbaric as Fallout 3's DC area? I guess because the NCR and New Vegas have been established in the area for awhile, but I find the differences between both worlds interesting. The only real bastards in NV are Ceasar's Legion who are pretty hardcore, but nothing compares to walking around the radiated ruins of downtown DC all alone.

Kurtofan

Fallout 2 is such an unfair game
I'm at the last area of the game and I'm stuck.
How can I kill Richardson without getting curbstomped by his guards?
I have shit Sneek and Gun skills and no explosives.
Why can't I pickpocket the damn fucking card??????

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Eel O'Brian said:
I don't think anyone should be arguing about anything making sense in a game series where you can eat 200 year old snack cakes to regain health after being shot with energy weapons in a gunfight with a 200 year old undead creature.
im not disagreeing with you there. But at least what Bethesda did with food isnt some "wtf?" thing. Food gives health, no big deal. Standard video game stuff. But Little Lamplight makes zero sense. Its as if someone just said "Hey.. a town run by kids sounds cool" without thinking things through. First off.. you have to address the re-population problem. Second, if the community started when they were on a school field trip when the bombs fell, that means they all had the be about the same age and thus there would not have been a huge gulf in years between adults and children (the logs make mention of all the teachers dying out iirc). The premise behind it is okay but it needed to be worked through some more.

The Fallout setting always had some basis in scientific reality which i always thought was really cool. Too bad it didnt go that way with FO3 so much.

Kurtofan said:
Fallout 2 is such an unfair game
I'm at the last area of the game and I'm stuck.
How can I kill Richardson without getting curbstomped by his guards?
I have shit Sneek and Gun skills and no explosives.
Why can't I pickpocket the damn fucking card??????
Super stimpacks, lot's of them

Top Bottom