• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

tokkun

Gestahl said:
There's suspension of disbelief and immersing yourself into a world that the game designers and writers have created, adhering to their laid out rules and stipulations on how things work, and then there's violently shitting down your throat while simultaneously choking you into unconsciousness, and Little Lamplight is the latter, sorry bub

Super Mutant Behemoths made no sense at all in the context of the Fallout universe either (as opposed to Little Lamplight making no sense in any universe), glad Obsidian took the axe to them.

So, healing a shotgun blast to the face by drinking two Cokes or getting a surgical implant to improve my luck = immersive world.
Teenagers having babies = silly plot hole.

Good to know.

Kurtofan said:
If you don't kill him now,you'll have to kill him later on if you want the chip (unless you really want to save him at that moment but it's really complicated and pointless).He'll be at Ceasar's Fort.
So if you want extra dialogue with him,just let him go,but you won't have the chip right away.

benny lived in my game :D I even let him off

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
tokkun said:
So, healing a shotgun blast to the face by drinking two Cokes or getting a surgical implant to improve my luck = immersive world.

Good to know.
You are right. Little Lamplight makes sense now.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
tokkun said:

Good to know.

Pointing to OTHER things that don't make sense, doesn't make any other non-sensical elements suddenly reasonable.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
GDJustin said:
Pointing to OTHER things that don't make sense, doesn't make any other non-sensical elements suddenly reasonable.
Food and drink providing healing is basically a video game logic staple since arcade days. When Bethesda did that for Fallout 3 i had no problem with it myself.

The Luck implant makes sense because its basically a computer in your head calculating probability according to what the doctor says and the perk text. Its not a rabbits foot or something.

Anyways.. im done with talking about Little Lamplight or costumed superheros or anything else from Fallout 3. Its things best to be forgotten, imo.

Gestahl

tokkun said:

Good to know.

Hmm yes, gameplay and story are certainly equivocal in terms of suspending disbelief

A field trip of school children, presumably most within the same age group, forming a 200 year spanning, self-sufficient society of no adults allowed directly adjacent to the hellish supermutant producing vault, in a wasteland where you can't throw a stick without hitting a raider or supermutant or slaver, is more or less the same as my numbers going up and down

Then again, children in Fallout 3 are immortal, divine beings that cannot be trifled with (along with most of Rivet City, explaining that town's success), so I suppose it's believable enough.

I guess wondering why a gang of vampire larpers is larger than the town it terrorizes or why a supposedly thriving merchants community called Canterbury Commons is a desolate ghost town and other such oddities is silly then, because after all drinking water makes my bars grow larger

Kurtofan

water_wendi said:
Food and drink providing healing is basically a video game logic staple since arcade days. When Bethesda did that for Fallout 3 i had no problem with it myself.

The Luck implant makes sense because its basically a computer in your head calculating probability according to what the doctor says and the perk text. Its not a rabbits foot or something.

Anyways.. im done with talking about Little Lamplight or costumed superheros or anything else from Fallout 3. Its things best to be forgotten, imo.
Oh man I had forgotten about that.
Fallout 3 was one big Wild Wasteland perk.

Azrael

tokkun said:

The parents wouldn't just leave their babies behind in Little Lamplight when they turn 16 and are kicked out.

Then you also have the same problem with the vaults where cloning and hallucinogenic drug experiments were conducted. The ruins of those vaults are no longer in a state to support life, and the survivors are clearly too psychotic to have formed any kind of sustainable communities, so how are these vaults still populated after 200 years?

The writing in Fallout 3 was so terrible there really is no way to defend it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kurtofan said:
What could cause my charisma and speech level to drop?
At the same time my strength and my melee skills went up.
Open your PipBoy and go to Status then Stats then EFF to see all of the different effects on your character.

tokkun

GDJustin said:

I'm not trying to argue that Little Lamplight makes sense. I'm trying to argue that it is not exceptionally silly compared to the rest of the game.

It baffles me why people will readily accept tons of silliness from other parts of Fallout's weird science comic book atmosphere, or even accept ridiculous 'scientific explanations' for them, but for some reason Little Lamplight throws them out of the game.

You see this over and over with posters on this forum for some reason acting like Little Lamplight is uniquely out of place with the rest of the game/series. I'm really at a loss to understand it.

hermit7

How do I
Get into the bunker in Hidden Valley? I found the bodies at Nellis, and Repconn Headquarters but it doesn't let me in still

Nevermind was in the wrong place....

tokkun said:
I'm not trying to argue that Little Lamplight makes sense. I'm trying to argue that it is not exceptionally silly compared to the rest of the game.

It baffles me why people will readily accept tons of silliness from other parts of Fallout's weird science comic book atmosphere, or even accept ridiculous 'scientific explanations' for them, but for some reason Little Lamplight throws them out of the game.

You see this over and over with posters on this forum for some reason acting like Little Lamplight is uniquely out of place with the rest of the game/series. I'm really at a loss to understand it.
Because an audience's willingness to accept a ridiculous plot device or conceit is based on how cool or enjoyable it is.

If it has enjoyable results like "giant scorpions and post-apocalyptic radiation orcs" then it's okay because it's cool (and the basic premise of the entire series itself, so you have to accept it to begin with).

If it's "society of children (who are immortal because of fears of media outcry) that somehow survive next to a nuclear blast crater, the home of the radiation orcs, and slave trading Mad Max raiders" then they roll their eyes because it's just dumb and feels out of place.

It's not strange at all, nor hard to understand.

tokkun said:

To be honest I don't know why it's even been debated over these last couple of pages. I didn't think anything of a plot hole with Lamplight. I just went there, kidnapped the kid into slavery, and went on my way to see Eulogy.

Rainier

Finally finished the game tonight. 168 hours. (re-started three times). Did every quest, the four major endings and I think about 12 variations. Great game despite the bugs. Now I can go back to Minecraft until GT5 comes out.

Wallach

EmCeeGramr said:
Because an audience's willingness to accept a ridiculous plot device or conceit is based on how cool or enjoyable it is.

If it has enjoyable results like "giant scorpions and post-apocalyptic radiation orcs" then it's okay because it's cool (and the basic premise of the entire series itself, so you have to accept it to begin with).

If it's "society of children (who are immortal because of fears of media outcry) that somehow survive next to a nuclear blast crater, the home of the radiation orcs, and slave trading Mad Max raiders" then they roll their eyes because it's just dumb and feels out of place.

It's not strange at all, nor hard to understand.

Personally I'm only annoyed by the discussion because Fallout 3 gets harped on for it and the nonsensical shit in Fallout 2 is given a free pass. That feels really weak to me.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Why are people nit picking about scientific inaccuracies when there are two ones staring in your face all of the time?

1. Nature recovers from nuclear disasters pretty quickly. Edit: carefully google images of chernobyl wildlife.

2. Buildings, wooden or concrete, collapse within 100 years of no maintenance.

The way fallout (especially Bethesda's 3) feels, if it's at all accurate it would be the aftermath 10-15 years after, not 200.

teh_pwn said:
Why are people nit picking about scientific inaccuracies when there are two ones staring in your face all of the time?

1. Nature recovers from nuclear disasters pretty quickly. Edit: carefully google images of chernobyl wildlife.

The way fallout (especially Bethesda's 3) feels, if it's at all accurate it would be the aftermath 10-15 years after, not 200.

Yeah that is the main thing I thought was wrong with FO3. Just about everything about it makes it seem like it takes place within 50 years of the bombs. Pretend it is and a lot of the stuff seems more plausible.

teh_pwn said:

Eh, Fallout 2 and New Vegas both had decent amounts of plant life; it's just that they take place in the deserts of California and Nevada so there's more sand and dirt than grass.

I refuse to play this until the next patch comes out. I got the game a couple days ago, though. Just.. after what I saw my bro go through with it on the 360 version I know for a fact it'll be as bad or worse for me.. I don't like the idea of file corruption 35 hours in and several crashes.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
Personally I'm only annoyed by the discussion because Fallout 3 gets harped on for it and the nonsensical shit in Fallout 2 is given a free pass. That feels really weak to me.
Fallout 2 shit like fighting Pinky and the Brain or any of the other stupid stuff has been brought up plenty of times.. just not recently. A decade ago i can tell you people did not give FO2 a pass. That, i believe, is why the Wild Wasteland trait is in NV. Some people liked the quirkiness.. but a lot hated how goofy Fallout 2 got.

MechaX

Wow. When they said not to bring Boone around the Legion, they were not kidding. And I just happened to bring up straight to Legion HQ.
It was a pretty funny battle though. When considering that I was underleveled, I had to get a little creative at some points. Most notably, after being chased by Caesar and his power fist team, I barely managed to run to the gate outside of the fort. But odd... The enemies were still spawned right outside the loading screen gate. Luckily, I had like 500 Incinerator ammo that I was saving for a rainy day. So I fired at a 85 degree angle and rained hot fiery death on Caesar and his troops.

Suffice to say, I think I just back-broke a couple hours work of questing with this move. But at least the news gave a shout out to these course of events, so at the very least, Obsidian accounted that some player would be insane enough to do this.

Wallach

water_wendi said:
Fallout 2 shit like fighting Pinky and the Brain or any of the other stupid stuff has been brought up plenty of times.. just not recently. A decade ago i can tell you people did not give FO2 a pass. That, i believe, is why the Wild Wasteland trait is in NV. Some people liked the quirkiness.. but a lot hated how goofy Fallout 2 got.

I guess what I mean is, a lot of the discussion comes across as "this is dumb because Bethesda did it instead of Obsidian", when really it's more that sometimes stuff in Fallout is just kind of dumb if you think about it too hard. The original is still guilty of it a little, though it's clearly the most 'serious' game out of the whole series. Fallout 2 was definitely the most egregious in that regard though.

neoism

Damn I looked but couldn't find it... Is there a mod the makes a companion use the weapon I give them... I don't want Veronica to use a 10mm pistol.. :(

I am pretty early on in the game, and I just had my first freeze
it was on the road to Nipton. The game was hitching the whole time walking up to the town, then finally froze

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
So im pretty sure my games bugged...

PS3 version, and Im doing the mission where you have to find the 10 irradiated NCR tags...

I killed all of the wandering ghouls, and i got the tag from the ghoul inside the one house and its not telling me that i have them all and to return them to that one NCR soldier (that has been paying me for them).

Ive wandered all over the town getting od'd on radiation and i cant find the apparent one that im missing....any ideas?

Can anyone help me...please? im hoping my save isnt bugged...

Arjen

Finished my first playthrough, only had 2 freezes and one minor bug in 65 hours (360)
Liked it way better than fallout 3, escpecially all the factions you come acros is a lot more interesting
Think i'll reload an early save and check the other endings, don't really feal like making another character

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Can anyone help me...please? im hoping my save isnt bugged...
i had a similar problem. i just missed looting one of the guys. He had died underneath another guy and i couldnt loot him proper until i moved the corpse on top of him.

BeeDog

GodDAMNit. Just noticed that the weapon I had assigned to Veronica (Pushy) has disappeared from her inventory after Gomorrah, and I can't be arsed to reload an earlier save.

Is there a way to get that piece of equipment back without forfeiting achievements for the rest of my run?

Varna

BeeDog said:
GodDAMNit. Just noticed that the weapon I had assigned to Veronica (Pushy) has disappeared from her inventory after Gomorrah, and I can't be arsed to reload an earlier save.

Is there a way to get that piece of equipment back without forfeiting achievements for the rest of my run?

You can retrace your steps. She probably dropped it during a battle and switch to her default weapon.

Zaptruder

Banned
I just took out the entirety of Caesars Legion... at least all the ones at the main fort/camp including Caesar himself.

Will the game recognize this fact if I keep playing on?

Will the battle of Hoover dam still occur?

Zaptruder said:
I just took out the entirety of Caesars Legion... at least all the ones at the main fort/camp including Caesar himself.

Will the game recognize this fact if I keep playing on?

Will the battle of Hoover dam still occur?
Yes to both. Now bathe in your Ballistic Fist glory.

Top Bottom