• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Celsior

Zaptruder said:
I just took out the entirety of Caesars Legion... at least all the ones at the main fort/camp including Caesar himself.

Will the game recognize this fact if I keep playing on?

Will the battle of Hoover dam still occur?
The camp that actually attacks hoover dam in unreachable till the final battle, and the game will recognize that he is dead.

Zaptruder

Banned
Celsior said:
The camp that actually attacks hoover dam in unreachable till the final battle, and the game will recognize that he is dead.

Nice.

Didn't really like working for that smug bastard. Just wanted to get into camp, get my weapons and kill them all :p

Ravidrath

A few questions...

I need a good Caravan strategy. Anyone know where I can find one?

Also, I just got the Jury Rigging perk, which I was really excited for. But... it doesn't seem to work? For example, I wanted to repair my Combat Armor R2 w/ regular Combat Armor, and it didn't register. However, the wiki says it should. Am I bugged or what?

Kurtofan

Oh man I did something terrible.
I was wiping out the Legion from Cottonwood Cove with Boone when I saw a family of slaves locked up in the camp.
I try to free them but they ask me for a key to remove their explosive slaves collars.
I couldn't be arsed to rummage through all the dead legionnaries to find this fucking key, so I pass a speech check saying something like " You can go now!"
So, they run for it and as I thought "once again I save the day" I hear the sound of several explosions.
Whoops.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
So did the patches mostly fix the bugs? I really loved Fallout 3, but the early comments have me worried about this one.

Wallach

Really glad that Sawyer is listening to some of us on the official forums about some of the shit math in this game. At the very least EW should be much more competent after the upcoming patch:

J.E. Sawyer said:
For the upcoming patch, all energy weapon ammo types (including MF Breeder and including base types, but excluding Flamer Fuel) have built-in DT bypass. I have made other tweaks to individual Energy Weapons across the spectrum, but the modification to ammo effects is probably the most noticeable and significant.

Still a lot of other problems I have with their combat implementation but this is a good start. Maybe there's hope for Explosives as well.

Kurtofan said:
I was wiping out the Legion from Cottonwood Cove with Boone when I saw a family of slaves locked up in the camp.
I try to free them but they ask me for a key to remove their explosive slaves collars.
I couldn't be arsed to rummage through all the dead legionnaries to find this fucking key, so I pass a speech check saying something like " You can go now!"
So, they run for it and as I thought "once again I save the day" I hear the sound of several explosions.
Whoops.
You really didn't need to rummage through all the legionaries either; the jailer for the slaves has a unique name, IIRC.

duckroll

Wallach said:
Really glad that Sawyer is listening to some of us on the official forums about some of the shit math in this game. At the very least EW should be much more competent after the upcoming patch:

Still a lot of other problems I have with their combat implementation but this is a good start. Maybe there's hope for Explosives as well.

I'm glad too. And unlike Alpha Protocol, Obsidian has every reason to keep supporting this game since Bethesda managed to ship 5 million copies, and sell through over a million in the first month in the US alone. I'm really happy for the game's success because it also means Obsidian will likely get funded for quite a while to continue supporting the game post-release.

Wallach

duckroll said:
I'm glad too. And unlike Alpha Protocol, Obsidian has every reason to keep supporting this game since Bethesda managed to ship 5 million copies, and sell through over a million in the first month in the US alone. I'm really happy for the game's success because it also means Obsidian will likely get funded for quite a while to continue supporting the game post-release.

I really hope so. I think they proved that they still understand this world better than anyone. Them ultimately getting Fallout 4 proper would be ideal; hopefully the slightly lower metacritic average has not hurt their chances.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wallach said:
I really hope so. I think they proved that they still understand this world better than anyone. Them ultimately getting Fallout 4 proper would be ideal; hopefully the slightly lower metacritic average has not hurt their chances.

Really, the best thing that could happen is if Zenimax bought them and just let them make Fallout games while Bethesda churns out Elder Scroll RPGs/MMOs.

In my fantasy world OE would still get the chance to make KoTOR3 and finish up the KoTOR2 storyline (aka, the only good Star Wars video game story ever written), but oh well.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Wallach said:

Is there any ETA for said patch? That + a fix for Heave Ho + the Helios gun freezing would be grand.

Wallach

SnakeXs said:
Is there any ETA for said patch? That + a fix for Heave Ho + the Helios gun freezing would be grand.

None mentioned; last update was the 18th, where a rep said they were "putting the finishing touches" on it.

Aaron

Trident said:
So did the patches mostly fix the bugs? I really loved Fallout 3, but the early comments have me worried about this one.
I played it over the weekend for six hours and it crashed three times, along with the occasional non-fatal bug along the way. If you're sensitive to such things, wait a bit longer.

Ricker

Finished last night,71 hours in...the ending was a huge letdown for me,because it was way too hard,compared to the rest of the game for one,I didn`t like the fact that everything got harder if you didn`t have some of the skills maxed out and that having done all the quest to have the Boomers on my side let`s say,added nothing to the ending...still,everything else was awesome and I might start out another playthrough,going melee or whatever for awhile and try and get some achievements I missed(only got about 400 points).

Played on the 360 and had 3 freezes,that`s it,in all that time.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Platinum'd this game last night. Don't think I'll wait around for any DLC. Fantastic game soured by the many, many, many glitches and freezes I had in my 70hrs of playtime. Meh.

Kurtofan

Ricker said:
that having done all the quest to have the Boomers on my side let`s say,added nothing to the ending...
Yes it did, watch the sky.
In my first playthrough I had three reinforcements(Boomers, Khans and the
Remnants
) based on how I did the quests.

Ricker

Kurtofan said:
Yes it did, watch the sky.
In my first playthrough I had three reinforcements(Boomers, Khans and the
Remnants
) based on how I did the quests.

I couldn`t complete the Khans...I couldn`t find Melissa,the marker was useless for that part so I never finished it.

Dyno

Kurtofan said:
I was wiping out the Legion from Cottonwood Cove with Boone when I saw a family of slaves locked up in the camp...

This is what I did too last night! After meeting Caesar and deciding that I would never help him I took Boone to Cottonwood and cleared out the camp (not the main base.)

Boone basically killed 80% of the people with a sniper rifle and .308 ammo! I simply dealt with anyone who got too close to him. I felt like I was the bot! :D

That legion helmet with the feathers and goggles looks badass!

Celsior

All I have left to do is the cap quest, Render onto Cesar line, and hardcore mode.
I also have those insane damage and healing achievements, they will take a while.

Wallach said:

Man, that's good news for my level 30 character with a specialization in Energy Weapons. I finally might have another good weapon besides the Gauss Rifle and Alien Blaster.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
how is taking ammo from bad guys' ammo crates bad karma? c'mon! it's good karma to gun them down, but bad karma to salvage their ammo?

Edgeward

So pick this up on the d2d sale, and boy for a gamebryo engine game it looks pretty fantastic. Was digging the initial beginning of it and then during the tutorial with Sunny, she just stopped and stood there as we were hunting geckos. And she yells and screams for help, but nothing is happening and my radar shows enemies but there isn't anyone there.

Not a particularly good start but it isn't the complete mess that was 3 on the ps3 so I'm not discouraged, was just hoping at this point it would take longer before I ran into a bug/glitch. :lol

Wallach

Edgeward said:
So pick this up on the d2d sale, and boy for a gamebryo engine game it looks pretty fantastic. Was digging the initial beginning of it and then during the tutorial with Sunny, she just stopped and stood there as we were hunting geckos. And she yells and screams for help, but nothing is happening and my radar shows enemies but there isn't anyone there.

Not a particularly good start but it isn't the complete mess that was 3 on the ps3 so I'm not discouraged, was just hoping at this point it would take longer before I ran into a bug/glitch. :lol

I'm not sure why she wasn't moving, but the screaming and enemies on your radar were below the ridge you were on, not really a bug.

Dyno

So nice to finally meet The Boomers! Here I was expecting another pack of assholes to deal with but I found them to be really nice. Their leader is an older version of my character!

Hopefully I can keep them on the straight and narrow. If they displease Mr. House... Well I guess that would be a real shame.

Kurtofan

Dyno said:
So nice to finally meet The Boomers! Here I was expecting another pack of assholes to deal with but I found them to be really nice. Their leader is an older version of my character!

Hopefully I can keep them on the straight and narrow. If they displease Mr. House... Well I guess that would be a real shame.
Go to their museum and ask the guardian to tell you about their history.

Zaptruder

Banned
Just finished the game. Will probably revisit over the weekend to try out a couple of alternative endings and wrap up a few loose ends.

But on my replay, I'm thinking... a ninja. Hand to Hand, Sneak and Unarmed.

Anyone played through with a character like this? What did you think? The perks are kinda there... but my impression after 5 minutes of playing is; melee range combat system is kinda tacked on isn't it?

Ricker

Zaptruder said:
Just finished the game. Will probably revisit over the weekend to try out a couple of alternative endings and wrap up a few loose ends.

Anyone played through with a character like this? What did you think? The perks are kinda there... but my impression after 5 minutes of playing is; melee range combat system is kinda tacked on isn't it?

Having finished the game,at least the 3 scenario I tried,which all kinda ended the same way,I can`t see how the hell I could beat that whole last section with a melee/sneak kinda guy :lol

Coverly

Kurtofan said:

I also wiped out the camp but left the slaves alone (more like forgot about them). The next day I went back and the jailer was there, alive just walking around. Don't know how he spawned since I had killed everyone but there he was and I was able to free them safely.

Also, if you cross the river from there and head north you'll find a huge deathclaw village that's not on the map. I didn't find anything special there though, but the xp was nice.

ydnawel

Neo Member
Zaptruder said:

I'm playing a melee, unarmed (kinda sneaky) character on hardcore right now. The initial part of the game is kind of difficult; I was always hoarding food because I didn't have any good armor. Gets more manageable as you reach mid-game though (cazadors are painful though). Playing melee feels better since Vats is so slow and janky at times.

Coverly said:
I also wiped out the camp but left the slaves alone (more like forgot about them). The next day I went back and the jailer was there, alive just walking around. Don't know how he spawned since I had killed everyone but there he was and I was able to free them safely.

Also, if you cross the river from there and head north you'll find a huge deathclaw village that's not on the map. I didn't find anything special there though, but the xp was nice.
You definitely missed something.
Remnant power armor

rc213

So how is the PS3 version? I've seen that it will be on sale for $35 for Black Friday and thinking of picking it up.

Better or Worse Bug/Crash wise compared to Fallout 3 vanilla?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
on 360, about six hours in, no crashes, loving it.

already such an incredible game. i'd forgotten why i loved fallout 3 so much, that feeling of wandering from place to place, seeing something off in the distance, walking to it, and forgetting where you were going because you continually get distracted by more interesting sights.

Hey guys, question!

In the PC version, is there any way to get it to stop showing 360 controller prompts with the 360 controller is plugged in but I'm not using it?

I generally prefer to make the wired controller in, for whenever I just want to launch a game that I use it for, but New Vegas is not one of those games.

Is there something in the ini file I can mess with?

Wallach

Sawyer coming through again for me:

J.E. Sawyer said:
For those who are interested, the Sniper Rifle and Gobi Campaign Rifle are coming down into the realm of mortal beings with the upcoming patch. They are still highly effective in their intended roles, but are not the solution to all the world's problems.

If he also hit explosives in this patch he's going to get pretty high marks from me for this homework assignment.

Top Bottom