• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
rc213 said:
So how is the PS3 version? I've seen that it will be on sale for $35 for Black Friday and thinking of picking it up.

Better or Worse Bug/Crash wise compared to Fallout 3 vanilla?
Put in about 60 hours or so and Platiumned the game, crashed about 25+ times. F3 crashed on me about four times or so, but that was before the GOTY patch that many say bugged the game further.

It's a very, very good game, but you have to have extreme patience the further you get into the game due to all the bugs and crashes.

Arjen

Wallach said:
Sawyer coming through again for me:

If he also hit explosives in this patch he's going to get pretty high marks from me for this homework assignment.

Not my precious Gobi :(

Nose Master

Finally beat this, not sure if I'm gonna plow through the different options for more achievements.
Ending was so shitty. Legate: THANKS PAL! /credits

Wallach

Arjen said:
Not my precious Gobi :(

xQjBS.gif

klee123

Lol, as a Gun user, the Gobi was indeed the "solve all problems" weapon, but if they do nerf the sniper rifle, they need to buff some of the other nerfed guns.

As much as I like the idea of damage threshold, it really nerfs the balance of the game. I still can't believe weapons like the Gatling Laser are so weak compared to the F3 counterpart.

Wallach

klee123 said:
Lol, as a Gun user, the Gobi was indeed the "solve all problems" weapon, but if they do nerf the sniper rifle, they need to buff some of the other nerfed guns.

As much as I like the idea of damage threshold, it really nerfs the balance of the game. I still can't believe weapons like the Gatling Laser are so weak compared to the F3 counterpart.

They are. All EW ammo has built-in DT penetration (scaling higher as you get to the higher tiers of EW ammo), some of the EW got direct weapon tweaks, and a few explosives did in fact get buffed as well.

So I've come across the weirdest bug in my playthrough (or maybe this is intended?) Anyways, the day/night cycle in my game is backwards (Light at night/dark during day). At 1pm game time, the sky becomes pitch black. Anyone else get this?

klee123

Wallach said:
They are. All EW ammo has built-in DT penetration (scaling higher as you get to the higher tiers of EW ammo), some of the EW got direct weapon tweaks, and a few explosives did in fact get buffed as well.

Cool. I'll find out when I go back home next month.

klee123 said:

The gobi rifle is OP, unfortunately. Even in close quarters, if you can get your companion to distract the enemy for a bit, it's easy to close range snipe the bad guys heads off.

Gully State said:
So I've come across the weirdest bug in my playthrough (or maybe this is intended?) Anyways, the day/night cycle in my game is backwards (Light at night/dark during day). At 1pm game time, the sky becomes pitch black. Anyone else get this?
That's... freaky.

I just started a new playthrough, and just encountered a Giant Radscorpion thrashing up Goodsprings even though I'm just a mere level 2. Thank God for that Weathered 10mm Pistol, if I had tried to Melee that Scorpion I'd probably get skewered immediately.

Lakitu

st5fu
Oh fucking hell. Gobi is my number 1 weapon, I treat it like my own son. I maintain it thoroughly and snipe bitches with it. If they're nerfing it, I may have to revert to my anti-material rifle. Just concentrate on patching the bugs / glitches, not my weapons please Obsidian.

Lakitu

st5fu
Any workarounds for the following glitches? On the 360.

-E-DE has been gone for a long while now and is nowhere to be found. I was just out about to snipe some Deathclaws but it kept on giving my position away so I sent it back to Lucky 38. I went back there and couldn't find him. I've looked all over Lucky 38 and it's nowhere. This sucks.

-Boone's rifle is gone and has been gone for the last 10 hours. This happened when we went into Ultra-Luxe. Now he just picks up random weapons, mostly melee ones and uses them. It's nothing to do with the tactics as I always acknowledge him to keep distance.

-I killed all of
Caesar's Legion at the fort
... so I went and picked up some loot, went back to take it to Lucky 38 and returned to find most of the bodies and loot gone except for
Caesar's tent
. And the most annoying thing is that because I went back, the NCR shunned me and now will shoot me on sight even though I've sided with them the whole game.

ACE 1991

So is there an eta on the comprehensive bug-squashing patch?
I'm interested in picking this up. But some of the horror stories here are making me a little wary.

Lakitu

st5fu
I actually found a good glitch today :lol

So after killing every
Legionnaire at The Fort, I go to test out the glitch earlier where upon my return I become shunned by the NCR. But, the reason for this could have been that I missed a few of them towards the other side of the camp. So I killed everyone, took what I can and went to take my stuff back to Lucky 38.

I returned to do some more looting in the first batch of bodies that I killed. Inventory filled up again, I go back and again, those bodies that I looted before were filled up with items yet again. So I look around and get a bunch of weapons, Hunting Rifles, 12.7mm SMGs, Cowboy Repeaters as well as armours. Return to Lucky 38 and return to see the same bodies have yet more loot, so I done this for a good while and took a whole bunch of shit. I can now return any time to do that and possibly rake in the caps from sales of said items and to use for repairs.
Goldmine :D

Jerk

Banned
Wallach said:
Sawyer coming through again for me:

If he also hit explosives in this patch he's going to get pretty high marks from me for this homework assignment.

Oh dear god why???????????

About damn time though.

dralla

any place to find snipers without buying one from the robot guy. im sure theres places out there, but im like 20 hours in and havent seen one, only hunting rifles. and are there silencers for snipers or the hunting rifles? i saw one for the vermint rifle but that gun kinda sucks

Lakitu

st5fu
dralla said:
any place to find snipers without buying one from the robot guy. im sure theres places out there, but im like 20 hours in and havent seen one, only hunting rifles. and are there silencers for snipers or the hunting rifles? i saw one for the vermint rifle but that gun kinda sucks

You'll find a few Sniper Rifles but not many.
Vault 34's
armory has some. And yeah, you can find some suppressors for it.

But I started off with the Ratslayer, which already includes a silencer and was incredibly useful in the lower levels. That can be found in Broc Flower Cave. The giant rats in there also make perfect target practice. :D

I'd also suggest getting the Gobi Campaign Sniper Rifle. By far my favourite weapon in the game, while it has no suppressor, it works beautifully and is so rewarding. The only way to get it is to have a lockpick skill of 100 (best way to do this is to wait for a later level and use Locksmith's Reader to put in some extra points) and to go to a sniper's nest above Cottonwood Cove. Though chances are you'll find that much later in the game, so I guess it's not important for you now.

However, your best bet is just sticking to Sniper Rifles and Ratslayer.

And yep there are scope mods for Hunting Rifles. I got mine from the 188 Trading Outpost and the Gun Runners.

Yeah, I found the weapons in this game to be really inconsistent. In general. FO 3 had a general weapon flow. You could only get good plasma weapons at a certain point in the game, unless I guess if you found some while exploring. The Gatling Laser is I believe at only one part of the game.

New Vegas just seems more random. Energy weapons in general in this game don't seem as powerful as in FO 3.

Due to the randomness, when the good weapons broke I had no clue where to find items to repair them with.

Edit - And I never did find a Combat Shotgun.

SlipperySlope said:
Due to the randomness, when the good weapons broke I had no clue where to find items to repair them with.

u need to go on some weapon repair kit raids.. i stockpile that shit

need to find some more duct tape

tokkun

dralla said:

There is one in one of those random abandoned houses near Vegas. The house in question has a bunch of traps in it.

ydnawel

Neo Member
So I've been lugging around the Gobi on my melee based character for when I have to use range, and wow, it sways like mad when your only points in guns is from Agility. No joke about the 75 guns requirement lol. Ended up swapping out Gobi for the unique gun I stole from the general in McCarran (25 guns requirement lol).

Dyno

Rebel Leader said:
Should I get this? Is it really that bad? (bug wise)

If you liked Fallout 3 and want more content then give it a go. I played Fallout 3 twice, getting two characters up to Level 30 with all the DLC. With this game I think I will be happy to simply play a single character up to Level 30.

There are bugs but for me they've only been small, amusing things. It's still a big, wide-open RPG and the writing of it is noticably better than Fallout 3. These guys like their jokes more and love inserting assholes in your quests. That part is good.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Dyno said:
If you liked Fallout 3 and want more content then give it a go. I played Fallout 3 twice, getting two characters up to Level 30 with all the DLC. With this game I think I will be happy to simply play a single character up to Level 30.

There are bugs but for me they've only been small, amusing things. It's still a big, wide-open RPG and the writing of it is noticably better than Fallout 3. These guys like their jokes more and love inserting assholes in your quests. That part is good.

Thanks because I was thinking about getting it for $35 around midnight
:D

So I saw something about the new DLC for xbox is going to raise the level cap, anybody got any more info? (at work so can't look at game websites)

So this is half price in Gamestation until the 1st dec, so I'm interested now.

A few things, is it as big as Fallout 3? And is it generally a better game?

ezekial45

Banned
I still haven't updated the game for the 360. It's still running patch less. However, i did have to DL the Fall 360 update when i played Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. :lol

I'm so afraid of my saves being wiped. I backed them up on my flash drive, but i still don't want it to happen.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Hyunkel6 said:
In the abandoned gas station to the right of the doctor's house? If you finished his quest, he's in the saloon IIRC.
After you finish Ringos quest he
goes to Crimson Caravan.

finalozzo said:
IIRC?
Anyway he is NOT in goodsrpings :_(
Have you talked to him in the gas station and done his quest yet?

Finalow

water_wendi said:
if you are speaking about the first mission of the game in goodsprings (against powder ganger), yes, i've done it. Actually i finished the game a lot of days ago. :lol

dionysus

Yaldog
On PC, anyone have a recurring problem where the game doesn't seem to know where your character is in the world? By that I mean I keep jumping around when I move, randomly moving 5 feet, normally forward or backwards. It is a pain because a lot of times it makes looting hard because While it shows on my screen as I am standing over the corpse, it wont let me loot it, Then I will all the sudden move 5 feet away from the corpse. When this is occuring I also can't enter vats without a long delay.

Is this a common problem and is there a fix?

water_wendi said:
After you finish Ringos quest he
goes to Crimson Caravan.

Yup, he's at the Caravan. He'll give you a little money too. Other than that I think he's useless.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
SlipperySlope said:
Yup, he's at the Caravan. He'll give you a little money too. Other than that I think he's useless.
Well thankfully I sided with the Powder Gangers and
killed him, decimating the population of Goodsprings in the process.

Kurtofan

Coin Return said:
Well thankfully I sided with the Powder Gangers and
killed him, decimating the population of Goodsprings in the process.
I felt a little bad killing
Doc Mitchell
but I got over it.
I wonder what he thought when I broke his head with a pool cue.

Lakitu

st5fu
According to Fallout Wiki there's a hint to a new DLC in the game's files, apparently it's called
Honest Hearts and it could possibly be to do with the Burned Man and have you going to New Canaan.
Sounds pretty good.

Top Bottom