• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Denzar

Ok, I can't enter New Vegas anymore...

I have a fake passport and could get in no problem before...

Bug?

I'll try getting in by using the monorail now but it's such a detour.

Lakitu

st5fu
Deepack said:

Bug?

Yeah, I experienced a glitch recently where it wouldn't let me in... said [requires key] even though I've been there a hundred times. I just reloaded an earlier save and it hasn't done that since.

Kurtofan

lupin23rd said:
Are there supposed to Great Khan's walking around in the Brotherhood of Steel bunker?
No :lol
I heard of a bug about Great Khans walking around the Strip getting killed by Securitrons :lol

Denzar

Lakitu said:
Yeah, I experienced a glitch recently where it wouldn't let me in... said [requires key] even though I've been there a hundred times. I just reloaded an earlier save and it hasn't done that since.
Well, that's the problem... I reloaded and it still shuts me out.

Kurtofan

Lakitu said:
According to Fallout Wiki there's a hint to a new DLC in the game's files, apparently it's called
Honest Hearts and it could possibly be to do with the Burned Man and have you going to New Canaan.
Sounds pretty good.
I love that the DLCs are somewhat related to the main game.
It's cool that they let threads hanging like that.

Bebpo

Banned
Are there any mods that let you edit your save game? I lost my clear save last week and I dunno what I'm going to do for the DLCs. I have zero interest in replaying the game since I pretty much spent a jillion hours and did everything in my original run.

Ledsen

Deepack said:

Bug?

You killed a guy in a quest and took his hat, right? If you do that, you can't get into NV anymore except by monorail, unless you put on a cowboy hat. just google it, it's a well documented bug.

Bebpo said:
Are there any mods that let you edit your save game? I lost my clear save last week and I dunno what I'm going to do for the DLCs. I have zero interest in replaying the game since I pretty much spent a jillion hours and did everything in my original run.

Just download someone's save game and edit the char to your liking using the console.

Jerk

Banned
Vault 11...

Best.vault.ever.

Also, which weapon do you melee folk use? I have been rocking the Knock, Knock and the Shishkabob thus far.

Roarer

Jerk 2.0 said:
Vault 11...

Best.vault.ever.

Yeah, that was such an awesome experience.
I was literally terrified as I walked through that corridor, towards the light. And the tension of sitting down in that chair, knowing that something terrible was about to happen. And as the creepy movie reel fizzled out... I was so terror-struck I had to pause the game as I heard the sounds from the doors opening.
Just wow.

Dresden

Vault 11 was great. Someone attacked me for saying it >>> the entirety of Fallout 3. Ha!

Anyways, nerfing sniper rifles, buffing explosives? Nice, Sawyer. I'll come back when that happens.

Bebpo

Banned
Ledsen said:
Just download someone's save game and edit the char to your liking using the console.

What kind of changes can you do through the console? I know you can change rep, but can you change things like perks, skill points, how you resolved quest lines?

Lakitu said:
According to Fallout Wiki there's a hint to a new DLC in the game's files, apparently it's called
Honest Hearts and it could possibly be to do with the Burned Man and have you going to New Canaan.
Sounds pretty good.

A little disappointing it's DLC, basically all of Caesar's Legion kept talking about the burned man, I assumed I just hadn't found him yet.

Wallach said:
Sawyer coming through again for me:

If he also hit explosives in this patch he's going to get pretty high marks from me for this homework assignment.
Right. Maybe next they can deal with shotguns scaling poorly as difficulty increases due to how DT and DAM are calculated. On Very Hard even the Riot Shotgun w/ Shotgun Surgeon perk feels like you are firing buckshot into a brick wall.

Jerk

Banned
Dresden said:
Vault 11 was great. Someone attacked me for saying it >>> the entirety of Fallout 3. Ha!

Anyways, nerfing sniper rifles, buffing explosives? Nice, Sawyer. I'll come back when that happens.

Well that guy must have been a moron.

Also, I really need to finish the game before that nerf comes around.

mjemirzian said:
Right. Maybe next they can deal with shotguns scaling poorly as difficulty increases due to how DT and DAM are calculated. On Very Hard even the Riot Shotgun w/ Shotgun Surgeon perk feels like you are firing buckshot into a brick wall.

The DT problem can be circumvented if you use slugs. Still, they are underwhelming regardless.

Wallach

mjemirzian said:

I destroyed VH/HC with nothing but shotguns. Just load slugs against armor. Slugs are probably the easiest ammo to make in the entire game.

Jerk 2.0 said:
The DT problem can be circumvented if you use slugs. Still, they are underwhelming regardless.
Slugs are harder to find than buckshot, and the riot shotgun eats ammo like candy. And why bother when you have That Machine and Gobi, anyway. Yes we know VH is not difficult. Balance mods will fix that eventually, maybe.

Regardless of what they do to balance weapons,
the legendary deathclaw will still be easy to kill by shooting at it then running away.. it doesn't seem to do very well chasing you inside the cave due to its huge size.

Celsior

OMG I load up my save file I am in a fire fight with 7 harden robots.............WTF was that

Sometimes, no robots appear at or around the crash site, or appear in very few numbers. If no robots are at the site, be cautious of your location if you save. Restoring can cause all 8 hardened robots to suddenly appear in and around the crater.

Jerk

Banned
mjemirzian said:
Slugs are harder to find than buckshot, and the riot shotgun eats ammo like candy. And why bother when you have That Machine and Gobi, anyway. Yes we know VH is not difficult. Balance mods will fix that eventually, maybe.

Regardless of what they do to balance weapons,
the legendary deathclaw will still be easy to kill by shooting at it then running away.. it doesn't seem to do very well chasing you inside the cave due to its huge size.

Slugs can easily be broken down and made using the buckshots and other ammo that you are not using. Not to mention you can reset the shopkeepers if you must.

Still, I agree that even then shotguns are not worth the effort. Gobi is all the gun I need (It and the Ratslayer are the only guns in my inventory).

Wallach

Jerk 2.0 said:
Slugs can easily be broken down and made using the buckshots and other ammo that you are not using. Not to mention you can reset the shopkeepers if you must.

Still, I agree that even then shotguns are not worth the effort. Gobi is all the gun I need (It and the Ratslayer are the only guns in my inventory).

I don't want shotguns messed with, honestly. I hate sniping in games like this and I don't see any problems with the shotguns as they are, other than the fact that there could stand to be a couple more unique variants.

Ledsen

Bebpo said:
What kind of changes can you do through the console? I know you can change rep, but can you change things like perks, skill points, how you resolved quest lines?

Yes you can do all those things. Just look up a console command list for FO3, they're mostly the same outside of a few things like reputation changing (which obviously doesn't exist in FO3).

So even though I can play this at a friend's house, and even though DLC is being announced, I just can't pass up the game for 40$ tomorrow/today. :lol

Joining the 360 crowd. Can't wait to play a unique game. Any tips for a character build relying heavily on verbal non-violence and manipulation?

Kurtofan

afternoon delight said:
So even though I can play this at a friend's house, and even though DLC is being announced, I just can't pass up the game for 40$ tomorrow/today. :lol

Joining the 360 crowd. Can't wait to play a unique game. Any tips for a character build relying heavily on verbal non-violence and manipulation?
Speech and Science are very important skills.
With them you can talk your way out of a lot of situations.

Speech and Science are very important skills.
With them you can talk your way out of a lot of situations.
Thank you. Also, is the Wild Wasteland option prevalent in the game? I'm all for twenty or so world events/changes, but not nearly every dialog. Anyone been able to compare them in an exhaustive way? Did it "really" change the game's feel?

Wallach

afternoon delight said:
Thank you. Also, is the Wild Wasteland option prevalent in the game? I'm all for twenty or so world events/changes, but not nearly every dialog. Anyone been able to compare them in an exhaustive way? Did it "really" change the game's feel?

No, it doesn't really. They are fairly rare occurrences overall.

Well, it's time to leave and pick up a copy. I just couldn't keep watching my neighbor play it. :lol He's already put in sixty hours. I should have played FO2 again in preparation, but whatever. Can't wait. :D

Wallach

afternoon delight said:
Well, it's time to leave and pick up a copy. I just couldn't keep watching my neighbor play it. :lol He's already put in sixty hours. I should have played FO2 again in preparation, but whatever. Can't wait. :D

Not bad timing. You'll get it near release but at a decent price with the "Black Friday" deals, plus the first really large patch should be due very soon (I'd expect next week or the week after).

Is anyone else getting a weird skidding effect when they're sneaking, like the game suddenly skips a bit and you're a couple of metres ahead of where you should be? I've been getting it since the latest patch and it's really starting to get annoying.

Barberetti said:
Is anyone else getting a weird skidding effect when they're sneaking, like the game suddenly skips a bit and you're a couple of metres ahead of where you should be? I've been getting it since the latest patch and it's really starting to get annoying.

Yeah I get that too. That also happens when i'm making a Caravan deck. I'll be scrolling through the cards and all of a sudden it will skip 4-5 cards ahead.

Anyway something amusing happened to me just now. I was sleeping at Boulder Beach when
Victor shows up and talks about how I took out the Khans at Boulder City and whatever and when I say goodbye he proceeds to roll into the lake.

It was actually kinda creepy at first.

FoeHammer

Just finished on 360.

There is probably a decent game in there somewhere, but I've never been so taken out of an experience by the technical side of things more than this game. Glitches, bugs, crashes, load times in the minutes and a shitty framerate to boot. There was actually slowdown in the fucking credit scroll of all things!

I didn't really care about any of the factions and didn't really like my options at the end of the game. Quests for the most part boiled down to traveling back and forth between two or more locations, doing nothing more than engaging in dialogue or delivering packages or something equally mundane; This is where the load times really took their toll.

I was so pissed most of the time about the technical problems that I might not be giving the rest of the game a fair shake admittedly. This is getting traded today, but I would love to revisit a version the game that was playable (Maybe the eventual GOTY edition). If anything, Obsidian has made me appreciate Bethesda a lot more.

Jokab

Not sure what all this talk about crashes and load times are really. I started playing the game post-fixpatch and with a total of around 40 hours (I'd guess) put into it I have a grand total of ONE crash and ONE stuck bug. Load times are at most 7-10 seconds. Are your PCs really that bad (mine just barely keeps a stable framerate 1280x800), or is the 360 version just retarded?

Ledsen

Jokab said:
Not sure what all this talk about crashes and load times are really. I started playing the game post-fixpatch and with a total of around 40 hours (I'd guess) put into it I have a grand total of ONE crash and ONE stuck bug. Load times are at most 7-10 seconds. Are your PCs really that bad (mine just barely keeps a stable framerate 1280x800), or is the 360 version just retarded?

I really hate when people do this. You're not sure because you're incredibly lucky. Don't talk down to people or suggest they have slow computers just because you didn't suffer from one of the MANY game-breaking bugs in this game. For example, there are at least two confirmed bugs that cause every save you make after you trigger them to be corrupted. There is one bug making you unable to get into New Vegas. And those are just a couple of examples. The latest patch also caused horrible performance problems and crashing for many people, including me. I can't play the game until they fix it.

Wallach

Barberetti said:

This will happen if you reload a hand-fed weapon (.357 revolver, lever-action shotgun, cowboy repeater etc) while sneaking (aka crouched). If you do a full reload then don't pull the trigger afterward the physics get weird because you're still considered in kind of a quasi-reloading state. You'll know because it will not let you get into proper iron sights view when this happens. Just pull the trigger once to kill the script keeping you in that state (it shouldn't fire the weapon) and it should stop.

FrankT

Wallach said:
Hasn't yet hit PC or console. My guess is next week sometime, at least for PC.

Hmm, thought there was second PC patch that was coming to the consoles, but yet to hit. Maybe they rolled 2 into 1 I guess.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I'm afraid I sort of broke this game.

I was just exploring on my own after getting the
Platinum Chip,
and I found my way to the cove where the
Legion
are all over the place. I killed them all, then went to the
fort
and found that they were there too! So I killed a lot of them. Now they hate me and are all aggro. House wants me to
go back?
Is it possible to even get in safely? Did I kinda break this quest and I should just reload an old save?

ezekial45

Banned
dralla said:
uh, my companion disappeared and she's not at her 'home'. is she gone forever

Did you send her to Lucky 38?

If not, try waiting for 24 hours then try to go to them again. Cass vanished for me, then reappeared after i waited for 24 hours.

Y2Kev said:

Platinum Chip,
Legion
fort
and found that they were there too! So I killed a lot of them. Now they hate me and are all aggro. House wants me to
go back?
Is it possible to even get in safely? Did I kinda break this quest and I should just reload an old save?

Same happened to me. You'll have to fight your way through.

It's not a glitch. You were given forgiveness for your action against them, but when you fought them before entering the fort, they all became hostile. If you want to go in without them being hateful, you'll have to reload to an older save.

abundant

Y2Kev said:

Platinum Chip,
Legion
fort
go back?

You didn't break the quest, you just made it harder. Now you will have to fight your way to the back of the fort, where you then go into an underground bunker and do stuff. If you would have played nice, you would have gotten access to the bunker without having to fight off the Legion.

Circle T

I'm just starting this on 360, and was just wondering if there were any major bugs or glitches I should watch out for? I played FO3 for about 200+ hours, so I'm fine with the occasional character clipping or game freezing. I'm more worried about the big stuff. Any quests bugged and not completable, or anything like that?

I just played through the first bit, in Goodsprings, and so far I'm really enjoying it. I loved FO3, so more of the same is perfectly fine by me.

Dresden

MC Safety said:
I'm sure someone's commented on this, but the "reward" for beating the game on hardcore is pretty lame.
Eh, the real reward is playing through the game in a more fun setting. We don't need the carrot on a stick.

gdt

Got this yesterday, can't wait to dig in it.

I loved FO3, so I'm super excited for this.

Is the game still buggy as all hell? 360 version, btw.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
abundant said:
You didn't break the quest, you just made it harder. Now you will have to fight your way to the back of the fort, where you then go into an underground bunker and do stuff. If you would have played nice, you would have gotten access to the bunker without having to fight off the Legion.
well i did it but it was really hard!

Finished my first run and started again right away.
I decided to befriend everyone except the Legion and then got Yes Man to take over for me at the end. I had 100 speech so I managed to convince the Legion to bail without having to fight, then told NCR who thought we were bros that I wanted them out of Vegas.
So awesome.

It was pretty tough at times because I went low-strength, high agility and perception, so my weapon usage was pretty heavily limited.
When I went to the Fort I took Boone so that we could decimate the entire encampment together. Running in, popping some turbo and blowing Caesar's head off with the hunting revolver then bolting out and kiting his guards around the camp was tough but satisfying.

Definitely my game of the year, and one of my favourite games of all time. I'm going to play through it a few more times until some DLC and mods are out, then play through it even more times. Really want to try a pacifist or a low-int run after this one.

Mr_Brit

Banned
I'm in Novac doing the
missing wife mission and have talked to no bark and it says to check for evidence in the dino dee-lite lobby
, what exactly am I meant to do now?

Hyunkel6

Mr_Brit said:
I'm in Novac doing the
missing wife mission and have talked to no bark and it says to check for evidence in the dino dee-lite lobby
, what exactly am I meant to do now?
The safe on the floor behind the counter.

Top Bottom