• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Owensboro

natureboy46 said:
I love New Vegas but I think you'd be better off with Fallout 3 GOTY first. You should be able to get it cheap and it's pretty stable. That way, by the time you get through F3, New Vegas should be far cheaper and pretty well patched.

Oh, for what it's worth, I've only had the ps3 version of NV crash about 3 times in 30 odd hours.

I've thought about getting 3, but unfortunately I watched someone play through the entire game while studying for an 8hr test of *fun*. So more or less, I've already seen everything that happens in Fallout 3 story-wise. I'm sure I would play it slightly different but at this point it's not worth it to me.

Stoffinator said:
I had it crashing on me all the time. But as soon as I shut all the music off, it stopped. But even with all that, the game is still worth getting if you are a racing fan.

This may be the most confusing thing I have read all day :lol

Alienshogun said:
I'm in the mission where
Mr. House has me go see the Boomers,
about how long do I have left?

Your on
Part 3 of Mr Houses missions, you have 4 more parts to go and then the finale, probably 5-10 hours worth depending on if your rushing or doing other stuff inbetween

Well I finished my pacifist run. Did absolutely no killing whatsoever except for
dropping the sound emitter on the ants nest to ingratiate myself with the Boomer's.
Ended up on level 20 from questing, hacking/lockpicking and discovery experience, but I cheated a bit and took three levels of Swift Learner since there weren't many other perks which I could actually use.

In the end
I decided to ally with the NCR since I'd already done an anarchist run and ruled New Vegas with my army of robots. Hardest parts were avoiding the assassins in Red Rock when I was gathering supporters to convince the Great Khans to abandon the Legion, and having to complete Still in the Dark so that the Brotherhood liked me enough to sign a truce with the NCR. Sneaking around three vaults infested with rats, mantises andthe spore beasts was a tense experience.

I'm thinking about looking at the G.E.C.K. and seeing how difficult it would be to mod non-lethal ammo types into the game, since the only weapons which do fatigue damage are the boxing ones which require a couple of hits to take someone down even from stealth. It was definitely a lot of fun and an interesting challenge without any weapons, but you get the feeling that you're gaming the mechanics a lot of the time by exploiting stealth and AI behaviour. Popping in tranquiliser rounds and a tazer would make the non-lethal playthrough a lot less cheesy.

jim-jam bongs said:
Well I finished my pacifist run. Did absolutely no killing whatsoever except for
dropping the sound emitter on the ants nest to ingratiate myself with the Boomer's.
Ended up on level 20 from questing, hacking/lockpicking and discovery experience, but I cheated a bit and took three levels of Swift Learner since there weren't many other perks which I could actually use.

In the end
I decided to ally with the NCR since I'd already done an anarchist run and ruled New Vegas with my army of robots. Hardest parts were avoiding the assassins in Red Rock when I was gathering supporters to convince the Great Khans to abandon the Legion, and having to complete Still in the Dark so that the Brotherhood liked me enough to sign a truce with the NCR. Sneaking around three vaults infested with rats, mantises andthe spore beasts was a tense experience.

I'm thinking about looking at the G.E.C.K. and seeing how difficult it would be to mod non-lethal ammo types into the game, since the only weapons which do fatigue damage are the boxing ones which require a couple of hits to take someone down even from stealth. It was definitely a lot of fun and an interesting challenge without any weapons, but you get the feeling that you're gaming the mechanics a lot of the time by exploiting stealth and AI behaviour. Popping in tranquiliser rounds and a tazer would make the non-lethal playthrough a lot less cheesy.

it shouldn't be to hard, there is already ammo for

* Big Boomer
* Dinner Bell
* Hunting Shotgun
* Riot Shotgun
* Sawed-off Shotgun

12 gauge shotgun shell Bean Bag

* DAM x 0.05
* Fatigue +250

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_ammunition

just change the DAM to 0, for an example

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kyo_daikun said:
Your on
Part 3 of Mr Houses missions, you have 4 more parts to go and then the finale, probably 5-10 hours worth depending on if your rushing or doing other stuff inbetween

Yeah, just finished. Had to turn the damn difficulty down for the final encounter I was only 22 at the time and getting my ass handed to me.

Does anyone else wish the Fallout series would move away from "realistic" and towards more mysterious stuff? A large part of what appeals to me about the series is the idea of the vaults. The fact that you could find them anywhere and you have no idea what you'll find behind them but pretty much all the ones i've been to so far are just boring or midly interesting. Also more unique and interesting quests like Come Fly With Me. Sometimes it feels like i'm just playing a generic shooting game of "go here and kill these guys" instead of actually learning more about the world and conspiracies etc. I guess something more like Bioshock where you're in this world and you have no idea what you're going to find. Like when you enter the Ultra Luxe and immediately something seems shady and you want to find out what is going on.

My Melee/Sneak character could really use some more Stealth Boys, but apparently, the number of those things found in New Vegas is extremely limited. :(

RobertM said:
My auto save got corrupted...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
As long as your manual saves are fine, right?

sn00zer

Just finished "A Boy and His Dog"......now WHY THE HELL ISNT THERE A BOY AND HIS DOG EXPANSION PACK?!:lol :lol
seriously though its to prefect not to be in either Fallout 3 or Fallout:New Vegas....c'mon Obsidian do it... you know you want to

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
sn00zer said:
Just finished "A Boy and His Dog"......now WHY THE HELL ISNT THERE A BOY AND HIS DOG EXPANSION PACK?!:lol :lol
seriously though its to prefect not to be in either Fallout 3 or Fallout:New Vegas....c'mon Obsidian do it... you know you want to

You mean the movie? What do you think was the inspiration for the games in the firstplace?

Quick side note, there is a poster from A Boy and His Dog in The Book of Eli.

tokkun

SuperSonic1305 said:
Does anyone else wish the Fallout series would move away from "realistic" and towards more mysterious stuff? A large part of what appeals to me about the series is the idea of the vaults. The fact that you could find them anywhere and you have no idea what you'll find behind them but pretty much all the ones i've been to so far are just boring or midly interesting. Also more unique and interesting quests like Come Fly With Me. Sometimes it feels like i'm just playing a generic shooting game of "go here and kill these guys" instead of actually learning more about the world and conspiracies etc. I guess something more like Bioshock where you're in this world and you have no idea what you're going to find. Like when you enter the Ultra Luxe and immediately something seems shady and you want to find out what is going on.

Yeah, I feel like that was one area in which Fallout 3 was a bit stronger, in that there is a lot less direct exposition, so it's more up to you to piece together information about events in the Capital Wasteland based on things you observe rather than a 10 minute long dialogue.

New Vegas does have one 'mystery' vault, though, and it's one of the best parts of the game.

sn00zer

Alienshogun said:
You mean the movie? What do you think was the inspiration for the games in the firstplace?

Quick side note, there is a poster from A Boy and His Dog in The Book of Eli.
Oh i know, im saying they should have a straight up "Boy and His Dog" Expansion, telekinetic dog, underground city, everything... i mean the rights cant be that expensive....

MrTroubleMaker said:
it shouldn't be to hard, there is already ammo for

* Big Boomer
* Dinner Bell
* Hunting Shotgun
* Riot Shotgun
* Sawed-off Shotgun

12 gauge shotgun shell Bean Bag

* DAM x 0.05
* Fatigue +250

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_ammunition

just change the DAM to 0, for an example

I did a bunch of research into non-lethal weapons and ammo before I started so I knew about these, but I'll be damned if I could find anyone who sold them in any quantity. Going to start fiddling with the G.E.C.K. today, I'm pretty sure you can adjust the likelihood that ammo will spawn at vendors.

Myomoto

sn00zer said:
Oh i know, im saying they should have a straight up "Boy and His Dog" Expansion, telekinetic dog, underground city, everything... i mean the rights cant be that expensive....

You can't imagine how disappointed I was when Rex didn't start talking to me telepathically when I
replaced his brain

Woo-Fu

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
My Melee/Sneak character could really use some more Stealth Boys, but apparently, the number of those things found in New Vegas is extremely limited. :(

If you are a sneak character you don't need stealthboys in the first place, those are just there for the builds that don't have any sneak.

I played a sneak character and didn't use a stealth boy the entire game.

Aaron

SuperSonic1305 said:
There's a series of highly rated user quests for Fallout 3 that are essentially this, and they're excellent. Almost no waypoint markers, you've got to figure out things and piece clues together to complete them. It's the sort of situation you won't care about the xp rewards because just doing the quests are so much fun.

finalozzo said:
how can i obtain the achievement [Desert Survivalist - Heal 10,000 damage with food] very quickly?
Go to Camp McCarran Concourse, buy everything the Cook has in his inventory. Injure yourself by throwing a grenade at your feet (but make sure you're not blowing up anyone else in the process), and eat all the food you just bought without going out of your Pipboy. Wait for 48-72 hours until the cook restocks, buy everything again, and repeat until you get the achievement.

Finalow

Blue Ninja said:
Go to Camp McCarran Concourse, buy everything the Cook has in his inventory. Injure yourself by throwing a grenade at your feet (but make sure you're not blowing up anyone else in the process), and eat all the food you just bought without going out of your Pipboy. Wait for 48-72 hours until the cook restocks, buy everything again, and repeat until you get the achievement.
very annoying :0
Anyway thanks. :D

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
finalozzo said:
how can i obtain the achievement [Desert Survivalist - Heal 10,000 damage with food] very quickly?

Go to Thorn and fight 3 Giant Radscorpians, collect their glands. When you have about 50 go to Primm in the building you find
ED-E
and talk to the wife of the dude. Have her make Scorpian Casserole. After you have enough Casserole go a body of water and start drowning yourself. Quick Equip the Casserole and spam the shit out it. Took me about 35 minutes to get the achievement using this method and it helped getting my battle 10,000 DMG trophies too.

Circle T

Can someone with the PC version do me a favor? I like the little chime that plays when you complete a challenge (Kill so many things, pick so many locks, etc). I would like to use that sound as my phone's SMS tone, but I'm playing the 360 version, so I can't do it myself. Is it possible to extract that sound out? Thanks

Ricker

Circle T said:
Can someone with the PC version do me a favor? I like the little chime that plays when you complete a challenge (Kill so many things, pick so many locks, etc). I would like to use that sound as my phone's SMS tone, but I'm playing the 360 version, so I can't do it myself. Is it possible to extract that sound out? Thanks

GamesRadar had a pretty cool article about victory jingles and the like last week...check the link,not sure if it`s the one you want though...

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/gamings-greatest-victory-jingles/a-20101203165156352026

nomoment

Has the super duper fix-all patch been released for consoles yet? I haven't touched the disc in weeks. I want to do a re-play, but not until the patch is out.

thorin

Circle T said:
Is this the right sound?

http://www.wikiupload.com/IQBHRXCSG9EYIAV

Circle T

RobertM

Blue Ninja said:

As long as your manual saves are fine, right?
Yeah and 15 hours of gameplay lost...

Circle T

I think I lost ED-E, and might possibly be locked out of a replacement 2nd companion.

I currently have Boone and ED-E as companions. We were heading toward Nellis A.F.B. when
the Boomers started bombing the shit out of us as we approached. I got he notice that "ED-E is unconscious" but I couldn't stop or I'd get bombed as well. Next thing I know, I'm at the gate, and some NPC has initiated a conversation, followed by me entering the base.
But once I'm inside, ED-E is nowhere to be found.

I didn't think anything of it, thinking he would eventually just end up back in Primm. But, a TON of game time has passed now, and nothing. I didn't get a notice saying he returned there, nor is he there as I went to check myself. But then, just a few minutes ago, a random NPC mentioned "Thats a crazy looking robot" to me, as if ED-E is still in my party. He's gone, as far as I'm concerned, but the game seems to think he is still there. Am I fucked?

I just beat it today
I now rule new vegas with my army of robots!!!
. I really enjoyed it, I stayed mostly good throughout. I am thinking about going through again and being bad and with a different build. Don't know if I will though. I may just wait for the dlc.

nomoment said:
Has the super duper fix-all patch been released for consoles yet? I haven't touched the disc in weeks. I want to do a re-play, but not until the patch is out.

Nope, no mention of when it will be released either, I would guess Xbox will get a patch when the DLC is released, god only knows when for PS3.

Aaron

nomoment said:
They haven't even released it for PC yet. It's probably going to be a while.

saunderez

kyo_daikun said:
Nope, no mention of when it will be released either, I would guess Xbox will get a patch when the DLC is released, god only knows when for PS3.
It's getting to the stage where it's completely ridiculous how long this is taking IMO. I'm a diehard Fallout fanboy and am anxiously awaiting my second playthrough of New Vegas but I'm sure as hell not doing it until the big patch hits. I had far too many issues on my original playthrough, from companions disappearing to quests glitching forcing me to essentially fail them (or not get the outcome I should have got). I never had half as many as problems with Fallout 3.

As good as the game content is I don't want Obsidian touching future Fallout games if they're going to release one of the buggiest games in recent memory and take this long to patch it.

saunderez said:
It's getting to the stage where it's completely ridiculous how long this is taking IMO. I'm a diehard Fallout fanboy and am anxiously awaiting my second playthrough of New Vegas but I'm sure as hell not doing it until the big patch hits. I had far too many issues on my original playthrough, from companions disappearing to quests glitching forcing me to essentially fail them (or not get the outcome I should have got). I never had half as many as problems with Fallout 3.

As good as the game content is I don't want Obsidian touching future Fallout games if they're going to release one of the buggiest games in recent memory and take this long to patch it.

Completly agree, finished my first play through and endured the crashes, started a second thinking it would take awhile for the bugs to kick in, within 4 hours of playtime it had started to repeatedly crash again and thats when I gave up, kindof glad PS3 isnt getting the DLC yet as I would really struggle with myself over whether I should get it or not.

Aaron said:
They haven't even released it for PC yet. It's probably going to be a while.

PC has had one additional patch since the PS3 and Xbox had their first and only one (not sure if it just had the same stuff patched tho)

Aaron

jim-jam bongs said:
PC version is pretty solid now. Still get the occasional crash but no major scripting or save corruption issues.
I have my version up to date, and it seems just as glitchy and crash happy as before. Save corruption is pretty rare, but I keep a ton of saves anyway. For me, it's still less stable than Fallout 3 was on release. It's really far from solid.

Aaron said:
I have my version up to date, and it seems just as glitchy and crash happy as before. Save corruption is pretty rare, but I keep a ton of saves anyway. For me, it's still less stable than Fallout 3 was on release. It's really far from solid.

Really? Bummer. I find that after the last patch it's pretty comparable to Fallout 3.

Finalow

Liquidus said:
Go to Thorn and fight 3 Giant Radscorpians, collect their glands. When you have about 50 go to Primm in the building you find
ED-E
and talk to the wife of the dude. Have her make Scorpian Casserole. After you have enough Casserole go a body of water and start drowning yourself. Quick Equip the Casserole and spam the shit out it. Took me about 35 minutes to get the achievement using this method and it helped getting my battle 10,000 DMG trophies too.
this way seems good, thank you.

I just killed loads of geckos and made gecko steaks to get the 10000 food trophy, you get quite a lot from them and I had a lot of gecko meat already on me.

Also when doing the radscorpion method apparently the Thorn can crash a lot (surprise suprise)

Finally finished the game with my hardcore/unarmed/no charisma/totally evil build. Ended at Level 24.

Was a lot of fun, and the end of the game was great. Kinda crazy to play a Fallout game with no way to make any of the speech checks :lol

As always, unarmed + bloody mess is the best. Punching guys and watching them explode always makes me laugh :lol :lol :lol

The "ending" cutscenes were a bit disappointing as usual, though.

Probably gonna play a
Yes Man
run through with high guns and speech, for the fun of it.

I really loved how this game was a lot more ambiguous about who "the good guys" were. None of the main groups are truly, totally good. Well, except maybe the
Followers of the Apocalypse
. Generally they have their selfish motivations alongside their "stated" goals, and that really helped round out the characters well.

Kurtofan

timetokill said:
The "ending" cutscenes were a bit disappointing as usual, though.
How were they disappointing?
I found them way better than in the first two Fallout games and they are way better than in Fallout 3.
I mean there are lots of them, they cover all the companions and all of the major factions and towns.
What else do you want?

Finalow

Kurtofan said:
What else do you want?
i want a great final part. Not some screens and a creepy voice. Also all the ending are very very similar :/, seen one seen them all. These ending are like fresh shit.
Really, play xenogears and tell me how is the ending.

finalozzo said:
i want a great final part. Not some screens and a creepy voice. Also all the ending are very very similar :/, seen one seen them all. These ending are like fresh shit.
Really, play xenogears and tell me how is the ending.
The ending of Fallout is like war. And war... war never changes.

Aaron said:
There's a series of highly rated user quests for Fallout 3 that are essentially this, and they're excellent. Almost no waypoint markers, you've got to figure out things and piece clues together to complete them. It's the sort of situation you won't care about the xp rewards because just doing the quests are so much fun.
Could you recommend some Aaron?I'd be very interested in loading back up Fallout 3 to play some of them.

Kurtofan said:
How were they disappointing?
I found them way better than in the first two Fallout games and they are way better than in Fallout 3.
I mean there are lots of them, they cover all the companions and all of the major factions and towns.
What else do you want?

I've been disappointed with pretty much all of them :p

I get that there are a lot of "different" endings and so it makes sense to make them static, with voiceovers, etc.

But I'd love to actually come away surprised by some things that happen in the endings. I'd love to hear about some good second and third-order effects based on a combination of things you did. What we get is generally a summary of "here's a list of choices you made in the game." Problem is, I already know what I did in the game, and I have a pretty good idea of how it will turn out just after the game. I'd just like to see them flesh those out more and let us know how those choices affect each other, and further down the road. Like I said before, I know why they do it. The sheer amount of combinations would provide for a pretty sizable amount of content just for the # of endings. But with a game like this, I can't help but expect that -- the game offers such a wide variety, so the ending feels a little unsatisfying.

The end of the games as they are just feel flat to me. I love playing them, but the endings always make me feel kind of blah about it.

Top Bottom