• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famicom Mini Kid Icarus?

bjork

Been gone for a couple of days, so I might've missed it.

Magic Box says that Famicom Minis #21-30 will include Kid Icarus, but lists it as unconfirmed. Anyone know if this is really going to happen?

I have no clue, but here's the rest of the supposed lineup. Could anyone translate the games with the Japanese names?

Famicom Mini Vol. 21 Super Mario Bros. 2
Famicom Mini Vol. 22 Nazo no Murasame
Famicom Mini Vol. 23 Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Famicom Mini Vol. 24 Metroid
Famicom Mini Vol. 25 Palthena's Mirror (Kid Icarus)
Famicom Mini Vol. 26 Shin Onigashima
Famicom Mini Vol. 27 Famicom Tantei Kurabu: Kieta Koukeisha
Famicom Mini Vol. 28 Famicom Tantei Kurabu II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo
Famicom MIni Vol. 29 Akumajou Dracula (Castlevania)
Famicom Mini Vol. 30 SD Gundam World: Gachapon Senshi Scramble Wars

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
BobbyRobby said:
I have no clue, but here's the rest of the supposed lineup. Could anyone translate the games with the Japanese names?

Famicom Mini Vol. 21 Super Mario Bros. 2
Famicom Mini Vol. 22 Nazo no Murasame
Famicom Mini Vol. 23 Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Famicom Mini Vol. 24 Metroid
icom Mini Vol. 25 Palthena's Mirror (Kid Icarus)
Famicom Mini Vol. 26 Shin Onigashima
Famicom Mini Vol. 27 Famicom Tantei Kurabu: Kieta Koukeisha
Famicom Mini Vol. 28 Famicom Tantei Kurabu II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo
Famicom MIni Vol. 29 Akumajou Dracula (Castlevania)
Famicom Mini Vol. 30 SD Gundam World: Gachapon Senshi Scramble Wars
Uh....ok.

That said, anything coming out of magicbox should be Said with a huge lick of salt.

I hope so... I also hope the games let you save. I believe that Kid Icarus was originally a FDS title (or maybe additionally one), so it would be nice if they followed that and included a battery.

Would be the first NES GBA title I'd actually be willing to buy.

explodet

And looking at screenshots, Onigashima is a non-action adventure game.
Nazo no Murasame translates loosely to Mystery of Castle Murasame according to some fansites out there (who list it as "Nazo no Murasame-jo"). This seems to be their "adventure" block.

I'll also assume Super Mario Bros. 2 is "Lost Levels" Mario 2.

explodet

But Super Mario Bros. 2 in the US was known in Japan as "Super Mario USA" (not 2 USA) and it was released after "Lost Levels" Mario 2.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Nazo no Murasame-jo is one of the most underappreciated disk system games ever. It totally rules; imagine a pure-action game with the Zelda engine.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
explodet said:
Castlevania, bitches!

This block is light for the NES Classics, so NOA better fill in the gaps with stuff like Punch-Out.
Punch-Out, bitches!
Yes where the hell is Punch Out?

Castlevania will soothe me.

Rhage

Kid Icarus and Metroid sorely need to be on the GBA.

And while we're at it...

All the Final Fantasy games on the NES/Famicom/SNES and Chrono Trigger!

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
fenekku-gitsune said:
Nazo no Murasame-jo is one of the most underappreciated disk system games ever. It totally rules; imagine a pure-action game with the Zelda engine.

Well I'll be dipped -- upon further research I realize I actually own this, but both my FDS and TwinFami need new belts, and I've yet to find a site that charges a reasonable rate for new ones.

Have any Americanos here had any luck fixing their FDS'? Maybe a new thread is in order..

Surely it's just some bog standard rubber belt that any number of other appliances use (I'm looking at you, dust devils and vacuums).

Rhage said:
Kid Icarus and Metroid sorely need to be on the GBA.

And while we're at it...

All the Final Fantasy games on the NES/Famicom/SNES and Chrono Trigger!

Get Metroid Zero Mission. After beating the game, you can play the full version of the original Metroid whenever you please.

I believe this list, considering that it's the first major crop of Famicom Disk System releases. I bet the packaging for these is gonna rock.

I wonder if I have Nazo no Murasamejou...

*checks*

Nope, I don't. But it turns out I have three copies of Zelda. Hm.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
oh for f*cksake..

*roots around for 2000 yen a pop*

I have most of the mini series but the packaging is just toooooo fecking sweet to not buy em. Argh.

Nintendo have struck retro gold.

john tv

Game Informer lists no source, and Nintendo of Japan hasn't announced anything yet...

Still, the last set leaked a few days early too, so hopefully this is true. Series 3 sounds a lot better than Series 2, if so...

MASB

DCharlie said:
oh for f*cksake..

*roots around for 2000 yen a pop*

I have most of the mini series but the packaging is just toooooo fecking sweet to not buy em. Argh.

Nintendo have struck retro gold.
lol. Poor DCharlie and others will have gotten a bank loan by the time they get all the Famicom Mini games they want. ;)

That said, if the Vol. 21-30 list is right, it looks like a winner for Nintendo. Maybe sales even better than the second series, closer to the first in sales.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Those are the best games yet ! The only problem is that Detective Club, Detective Club 2 (both games from Nintendo mastermind Yoshio Sakamoto) will likely not come over here :(

Nintendo should have released that game here.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Where is Sky Kid, Namco???

"The only problem is that Detective Club, Detective Club 2 "

This is the only thing that makes me think that this list might not be true...

Releasing two Detective Clubs in the same batch? Hmmm....

john tv

I've no interest in the limited edition collector boxes they send you for buying all 10 games in a series so I'm gonna sell mine on eBay, but I think I'll re-buy just the games themselves for my collection. Series 3 looks rad, though Metroid falls in with Mario Bros. under the "I can't believe they're gonna try to sell this to people after they already gave it away like 100 times" category.

john tv said:
Game Informer lists no source, and Nintendo of Japan hasn't announced anything yet...

Still, the last set leaked a few days early too, so hopefully this is true. Series 3 sounds a lot better than Series 2, if so...
There's nothing about this that looks fake, though. If it were fake, it would be such an astonishingly good one that I have zero doubt it's real.

john tv

DCharlie said:
.... August 10 th release date???

That's a tuesday.
Hmm, that weekend starts Obon, so this date technically COULD make sense. Still seems a little strange though...

Andy787

Banned
Argh. Their Fami Mini series selections have been almost completely terrible, imo. I can't fucking believe they're going to make you pay $20 to have a game that they've already remade, and made available in it's original form as simple bonuses not only once, but twice, while at the same time forgetting just about every great game that hasn't seen a modern release.

Yeah, I'm happy for Zelda 2, Kid Icarus, and Castlevania. But fucking Punchout, Tecmo Bowl, Ice Hockey, Baseball, TMNT, Jackal, Rad Racer, bitches!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Why Metroid? they just released zero mission.....

Andy787 said:
I think GAF has already seen this back-and-forth at least two other times, but...

1) Sometimes it's less about the game as it is about the packaging.

2) Nintendo's starting back at the beginning and working forward, hitting every major Famicom release. And they're only at 1986. Patience.

3) For completion's sake, sometimes games that have already been released are going to get put out there.

4) 2000 yen isn't $20. (Sadly, $19.99 is.)

5) These are for Japan, not the US. What's terrible to you is nostalgic to them. And you're not going to see Ice Hockey, Punchout, etc. for a while, if at all.

6) You'll have to wait for other third parties to get on board the train before you see Rad Racer, Tecmo Bowl, etc.

Jumpman

john tv said:
I've no interest in the limited edition collector boxes they send you for buying all 10 games in a series so I'm gonna sell mine on eBay, but I think I'll re-buy just the games themselves for my collection. Series 3 looks rad, though Metroid falls in with Mario Bros. under the "I can't believe they're gonna try to sell this to people after they already gave it away like 100 times" category.

Yeah, I already have Metroid playable in Prime and Zero Mission, but that won't stop me from snagging it the second it's released.

Didn't anyone else take that survey on Nintendo.com about classic NES games? Many of the games we're hoping for, like Rad Racer, Tecmo Bowl, and Punch-Out! were listed prominantly amongst the main choices in the survey. If these titles are front and center in Nintendo's own survey, then it's only a matter of time until they will be released.

If the Classic NES series continues to be successful, expect the volumes to keep coming. At some point we may be able to play every worthwhile NES game on our GBA's, and in turn, our GC's. Then what, Classic SNES? You betcha!

belgurdo said:
Any chance we're going to get that ultra Japanese stuff over here?
I'd say slim to none. If NOA does another round of Classic NES games, I'd expect it to be something like:

Mario Bros.
Clu Clu Land
Balloon Fight
Wrecking Crew
Dr. Mario
Adventure Island
Ghouls N' Ghosts
Zelda II
Metroid
Kid Icarus

neo2046

it is official http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/fmk3/index.html

bo_21.gif
bo_22.gif
bo_23.gif
bo_24.gif
bo_25.gif
bo_26.gif
bo_27.gif
bo_28.gif
bo_29.gif
bo_30.gif

explodet

Kobun Heat said:
If NOA does another round of Classic NES games, I'd expect it to be something like:

Mario Bros.
Clu Clu Land
Balloon Fight
Wrecking Crew
Dr. Mario
Adventure Island
Ghouls N' Ghosts
Zelda II
Metroid
Kid Icarus
explodet said:
Castlevania, bitches!
:D

*squints* We need a better look at those boxes.

package.jpg
package.jpg
package.jpg
package.jpg

package.jpg
package.jpg
package.jpg
package.jpg

package.jpg
package.jpg

andthebeatgoeson

Just as an aside, everybody and their momma's got a GBA. And quite a few of them know about these old school games. People where talking about it at a BBQ over the weekend. Do we have any sales data on these games?

explodet

If we're talking about North American NES Classics, it's probably Super Mario Bros. > Zelda > all the rest put together.

We won't find out for sure until the June NPD. It'll probably be out on the 19th.

Andy787

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
I think GAF has already seen this back-and-forth at least two other times, but...

1) Sometimes it's less about the game as it is about the packaging.

2) Nintendo's starting back at the beginning and working forward, hitting every major Famicom release. And they're only at 1986. Patience.

3) For completion's sake, sometimes games that have already been released are going to get put out there.

4) 2000 yen isn't $20. (Sadly, $19.99 is.)

5) These are for Japan, not the US. What's terrible to you is nostalgic to them. And you're not going to see Ice Hockey, Punchout, etc. for a while, if at all.

6) You'll have to wait for other third parties to get on board the train before you see Rad Racer, Tecmo Bowl, etc.
No shit. Thanks for that, my friend.

Next time I post something, please take it as my personal opinion. Because, you know, I'm not Nintendo. I mean, hey, if I were Nintendo, it's cool. But, yeah, I'm not.

Top Bottom