• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Fantasy Land) PSone Mini on PSP

cvxfreak

Nintendo did it with the Famicom Mini series in Japan on its 21st anniversary, and if I'm correct, it'll be the 11th anniversary of the PSone in 2005 and the 10th this year.

So, if you were the Sony d00d who took a hint from Nintendo and decided to re-issue ten PSone games on the PSone Mini lineup for PSP, in their mostly unaltered forms, which games would you choose?

Vol. 1 - Tekken (Namco)
Vol. 2 - Ridge Racer (Namco)
Vol. 3 - Ace Combat (Namco)
Vol. 4 - Bio Hazard (Capcom)
Vol. 5 - Final Fantasy VII (Squaresoft)
Vol. 6 - Metal Gear Solid (Konami)
Vol. 7 - Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Konami)
Vol. 8 - Arc the Lad (Sony Computer Entertainment)
Vol. 9 - Minna no Golf (Sony Computer Entertainment)
Vol. 10 - Gran Turismo (Sony Computer Entertainment)

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Agent X

1. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Konami)
2. R-Type Delta (Irem/Agetec)
3. Vib-Ribbon (Sony) (because this game never came out in the US)

Er...that's really about it. Just about everything else that I would want are classic game compilations (Namco Museum series, Arcade's Greatest Hits series, etc.), and I'd like to see the PSP offer better versions than what we got on PlayStation. Most of the game compilations on PS were pretty good, but I'd rather have improved versions on PSP.

ferricide

Agent X said:
3. Vib-Ribbon (Sony) (because this game never came out in the US)
pretty much loses its point without the ability to put in CDs. and, uh, i don't plan to buy UMD music.. but if it read it off of the memory stick, that could be cool.

however, picking non-iconic games is kind of pointless. if it's this kind of series they're going to want to pick huge hits that people would like to revisit yet they couldn't make money updating and resellling for $50 (i.e. no FFVII.)

to wit: parappa! even though i vastly prefer lammy.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'd love to see 3 packs for 29.99

Pack together 3 semirelated classics on one disc.

puck1337

How anyone can have nostalgia for that blurry shit is beyond me. At least the NES stuff is relatively easy to look at, in spite of the resolution.

cvxfreak

puck1337 said:
How anyone can have nostalgia for that blurry shit is beyond me. At least the NES stuff is relatively easy to look at, in spite of the resolution.

Wouldn't the smaller screen lessen the blow, so to speak?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
puck1337 said:

erm, do you know what blurry means? or are you confusing this with n64?

CVXFREAK said:
Wouldn't the smaller screen lessen the blow, so to speak?
If anything the opposite. ~320x240 games on a 480x272 screen. They'd either be bordered, stretched, or significantly different from their PS1 counterparts. The last seems most likely; not like it would be as easy for Sony to make a PS1 emulator for PSP to just pop these out as it has been for Nintendo to pull off NES emulation on GBA.

john tv said:
They're all still available in Japan, so what's the point? :)
Well, if new PS2 games are also going to be portable, why not the oldies? :)

ferricide

yeah, blurry was not the right word. pixelly, however....

but john is right -- these things are still on the market and PS2 is backwards compatible. any game that would be a candidate for this is probably PSone books. thus making it less appealing. maybe a few years into the PSP's lifespan or something. right now they should be prioritizing making good, new games that are worth playing. lord knows that's not SCEJ's strong suit.

ourumov

1. Fear Effect 1.
2. Fear Effect 2.
3. SOTN
4. Gradius Gaiden.
5. FF VII
6. Ace Combat 3
7. Klonoa
8. Metal Gear Solid.
9.Snatcher
10.Policenauts

callous

Put in that position, I'd pick the ten best selling PlayStation games (from Japanese developers) in history and release those first.

Personally, I don't think they could price them low enough for me to be interested.

cvxfreak

callous said:
Put in that position, I'd pick the ten best selling PlayStation games (from Japanese developers) in history and release those first.

Personally, I don't think they could price them low enough for me to be interested.

Then I believe the list would be:

1. Dragon Quest VII
2. Final Fantasy VIII
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Gran Turismo
6. BioHazard 2
7. Minna no Golf
8. Derby Stallion
9. Gran Turismo 2
10. BioHazard 3: Last Escape (??)

Not much of a selection.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Mrbob said:
You can't have a PSONE mini re-release without Battle Arena Toshinden!

Bow to this man!

BAT was flat out the most awesome thing I had ever played when it came out. Like Street Fighter in 3d :D

callous

CVXFREAK said:
Then I believe the list would be:

1. Dragon Quest VII
2. Final Fantasy VIII
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Gran Turismo
6. BioHazard 2
7. Minna no Golf
8. Derby Stallion
9. Gran Turismo 2
10. BioHazard 3: Last Escape (??)

Not much of a selection.

I might pick #11 instead of Derby Stallion for the sake of overseas sales :p

And MGS instead of RE3 for the same reason.

Not the most exciting of lists, but hey, if it's what the people want. Maybe make the 3 FFs a compilation, freeing up room for 2 more titles.

cvxfreak

callous said:
I might pick #11 instead of Derby Stallion for the sake of overseas sales :p

And MGS instead of RE3 for the same reason.

Not the most exciting of lists, but hey, if it's what the people want.

I think a PSone Mini lineup would lend itself better to adventure games and RPGs rather than sports games. And the existence of Minna no Golf PSP kinda negates the need for the PSone game.

But then again, that didn't stop Nintendo with Metroid.

callous

You are right. Doesn't make financial sense to include Minna when the PSP has its own, spiffy new version. Suddenly I need to come up with 3 more games (as per FF compilation amendment above).

Damnit, don't get me dragged any deeper into this hypothetical scenario. I need to go to bed and I find myself starting to really think about this shit :p

cvxfreak

callous said:
You are right. Doesn't make financial sense to include Minna when the PSP has its own, spiffy new version. Suddenly I need to come up with 3 more games (as per FF compilation amendment above).

Damnit, don't get me dragged any deeper into this hypothetical scenario. I need to go to bed and I find myself starting to really think about this shit :p

You are not alone. There isn't a day that goes by where I wonder just how an RE2 remake would have turned out. :p

jiggle

They are already remaking the two games i want the most for PSP, so I have nothing else to ask for.

But if I must choose, I'd take a port of all the FFs, FFT, Xenosaga, VP, Chorno, and WA.

cvxfreak

Came up with ten more volumes:

Set 2:
11. Tekken 2
12. BioHazard 2
13. Final Fantasy VIII
14. Silent Hill
15. Street Fighter Alpha 3
16. Final Fantasy Tactics
17. Gran Turismo 2
18. The Legend of Dragoon
19. R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
20. Dragon Quest IV

Sullichin said:
Twisted Metal World Tour for PSP looks exactly like Twisted Metal 2.

That'd be cool if it was TM2. World Tour was the subtitle for TM2, so its definetly possible. Throw in some online play for the port and that's a killer app. The Paris level + online play would be awesome.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I want Shin Megami Tensei I & II (the PSX remakes). Throw both games on one UMD, and bring it over to the states.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Ah, so when Nintendo does famicom mini, the consensus is "rip off $20 for old games."

and now people WANT Sony to do it?

^This doesn't reflect my opinion. If sony wants to do it, great.

But I find it odd how people complained about it on the GBA, and now people want it for the PSP.

cvxfreak

GaimeGuy said:
Ah, so when Nintendo does famicom mini, the consensus is "rip off $20 for old games."

and now people WANT Sony to do it?

^This doesn't reflect my opinion. If sony wants to do it, great.

But I find it odd how people complained about it on the GBA, and now people want it for the PSP.

Well I never complained about the price, so it's all cool with me.

Top Bottom