• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly - Director's Cut, IGN review

Solid

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/557/557878p1.html

8.0 Presentation
Simple menus and interface that may look like no frills. However, there are no loads in-game, meaning that you play from start to finish as if living through an eight-hour movie.

8.0 Graphics
There are some texture irregularities that can be seen in some of the cut-scenes. Overall, very creepy, with good use of lighting.

8.5 Sound
The 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound helps make the atmosphere palpably horrific. Cries of terror from the dead will leave you shaking at times.

8.0 Gameplay
A bit too slow, even for its intentions. Your character sprints at the rate grandmothers walk. The ghosts end up using some predictable patterns, but the intent of this game is to frighten -- It does.

7.5 Lasting Appeal
A short game that can be finished in under 10 hours. The bonus Survival Mode will add a little extra time as will hunting for multiple endings. Definitely worth a second play.

8.4 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

COCKLES

being watched
But is it scary

First one was excellent...and to be honest, should have killed off the shambling, borefest of the Silent Hill series dead...sadly we got The Room.

McFly

Crimson Butterfly is the best game in the genre that I've played for a long, long time. I absolutly love this game and yes, it is scary, really.

Fredi

DarkCloud

Bah...Tecmo never tried to hype this game up at all since the E3 announcement. You'd think they'd have learned to push this title with how badly it faired from it's PS2 release..and now they go to the Xbox which has an even less receptive audience for this type of game with not even one magazine preview and no sales push it seems. Here's hoping that they'll have a demo for this in DoAU to spur sales...or a trailer or something.

I'm begining to think I'm the only person who's been anticipating this title since E3...Anyone else picking this up when it's released?

Surely I can't be the only one.

As for differences over the PS2 version...

FPS mode (with enhanced graphics and a new camera)
Survival mode
New story areas (nothing about them is known yet)
New ghosts (static or attacking unknown)
New "Happy" ending
6-10 new costumes (From Deception, Dead or Alive, etc)
Accessories
A shop to purchase costumes, art, items, modes, etc
5.1 Surround sound

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
DarkCloud said:
Bah...Tecmo never tried to hype this game up at all since the E3 announcement. You'd think they'd have learned to push this title with how badly it faired from it's PS2 release..and now they go to the Xbox which has an even less receptive audience for this type of game with not even one magazine preview and no sales push it seems. Here's hoping that they'll have a demo for this in DoAU to spur sales...or a trailer or something.

I'm begining to think I'm the only person who's been anticipating this title since E3...Anyone else picking this up when it's released?

Surely I can't be the only one.

As for differences over the PS2 version...

FPS mode (with enhanced graphics and a new camera)
Survival mode
New story areas (nothing about them is known yet)
New ghosts (static or attacking unknown)
New "Happy" ending
6-10 new costumes (From Deception, Dead or Alive, etc)
Accessories
A shop to purchase costumes, art, items, modes, etc
5.1 Surround sound

Oh, I'm definitely picking this up next week. I'm actually trading in my PS2 copy, which I stopped playing once I found out this director's cut was on its way. Just an awesome and creepy game--and perfect timing for Halloween.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Glad I held off on the PS2 version now.

Is Crimson Butterfly going to be priced any lower than the PS2 version was at launch, or is still still going to be a $50 release?

DarkCloud

All signs are pointing at 50...and if it's like the last game on Xbox it'll stay that way for some time due to stupidly limited release numbers.

Dyne

Luckily I picked up the PS2 version for $10 the other week.

I love the game. It's a lot more polished than I thought it was.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'll have to pick this up sometime, only played the PS2 version briefly, but I'd like to get the full experience on Xdude, first game was great.

Oh and Silent Hill sucks.

Top Bottom