• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Bushisms

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
"I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things." —George W. Bush, aboard Air Force One, June 4, 2003

LOL!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Dude, the best was never even spoken. He waved to Stevie "I'm fucking blind" Wonder. Snope's attempt to debunk it is hilarious.

Pattergen

ManaByte said:
Dude, the best was never even spoken. He waved to Stevie "I'm fucking blind" Wonder. Snope's attempt to debunk it is hilarious.

1orglaugh.gif

I can't choose between these two:

"I'm sure you can imagine it's an unimaginable honor to live here."
-- In a White House address to agriculture leaders, June 18, 2001

or

"The most important job is not to be governor, or first lady in my case."
--Pella, Iowa, as quoted in the San Antonio Express News, Jan. 30, 2000

You're free. And freedom is beautiful. And, you know, it'll take time to restore chaos and order—order out of chaos. But we will.

Given his unshakeable adherence to neconservative doctrine, I find this one always telling. ;)

But seriously though, our president needs to learn subject-verb agreement. :p

Pattergen

A classic...

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

The best part of the video is just when he says "Fool me...You can't fool me again." He gets really serious when he's saying it.

My favorite Bushism is how he is/sounds like an uneducated redneck. If it wasn't for his family I'd be amazed if he would have made it beyond Jr. High.

Pattergen

"We ended the rule of one of history's worst tyrants, and in so doing, we not only freed the American people, we made our own people more secure."—Crawford, Texas, May 3, 2003 (Thanks to Tony Marciniec.)

Socreges

Banned
A couple off the top of my head:

"I want to thank the astronauts who are with us. The courageous spacial entrepreneurs who set such a wonderful example for the young of our country."

"Karen is with us. A West Texas girl . . . just like me."

"I invented the Internet" Al Gore

sorry, that has to be considered as a Bushisms.
ENOUGH. This is what he said:

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Red Rock Eater Digest responds:

"Gore meaning, obvious to anyone who knew the record, was that he did
the political work and articulated the public vision that made the
Internet possible. No reasonable person could conclude that Gore was
claiming to have invented the Internet in any technical sense. The
first half of his sentence makes this clear: he is talking about work
he did in the context of his service in the Congress. The creation
of the Internet was a process that had several phases and took several
years, and Gore is claiming the principal credit for the political
side of that effort. It is a substantial claim, but an accurate one."

Now shhhh.

Jim Bowie

"It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity, and incumbency."
- Speaking to the Swedish Prime Minister unaware a live television camera was rolling, June 14th, 2001.

I like that one a bunch. That, and since it's two days away, I thought it was appropriate.

Incidentally, June 14th is my birthday. What a jerk, ruining my birthday... :(

Uhh, wasn't the groundwork for the internet laid in the 60's?

And for that "Fool me once" clip: I believe in the South there is a saying that goes "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... well you can't fool me twice" or something of that nature. So Bush really didn't misquote the well-known "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

Someone screwed up the encoding on that video, so some of the words are cut out and obscured.

Socreges

Banned
Jim Bowie, I don't even understand how that one is possible.
Error Macro said:
And for that "Fool me once" clip: I believe in the South there is a saying that goes "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... well you can't fool me twice" or something of that nature. So Bush really didn't misquote the well-known "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

Someone screwed up the encoding on that video, so some of the words are cut out and obscured.
What the hell are you talking about? He TOTALLY fucked it up. He got the first half right, but generally we expect people to deliver the entire thing.

Error Macro said:
Uhh, wasn't the groundwork for the internet laid in the 60's?

They've showed that video on TV before. So there's no encoding problems, that's just what he said.

Pattergen

"I think the American people—I hope the American–I don't think, let me—I hope the American people trust me."—Washington, D.C., Dec. 18, 2002

''I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe—I believe what I believe is right."—Rome, July 22, 2001

Pattergen

"Just remember it's the birds that's supposed to suffer, not the hunter." —George W. Bush, advising quail hunter and New Mexico Sen. Pete Domenici, Roswell, N.M., Jan. 22, 2004

White Man

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

The PERFECT ending for Fahrenheit 9/11. I'd read the quote before, but that pause between 'shame on - shame on you' is absolutely priceless. He pauses and looks totally bewildered.

Fusebox

Banned
So many golden quotes, hilarious. :D

Do you think he just gets flustered when public speaking, mild dyslexia, or is he genuinely dum?

Pattergen

Fusebox said:
So many golden quotes, hilarious. :D

Do you think he just gets flustered when public speaking, mild dyslexia, or is he genuinely dum?

To be fair, how many speak in front of such a large expecting audience. But, some of these really are amazingly dumb, and in some cases completely inaccurate and offensive.

"One year ago today, the time for excuse-making has come to an end." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 8, 2003

For some reason I like this one best.

"It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity, and incumbency."

Is this real?

Yeah, it is. He meant to say that the there was peace and prosperity during the incumbent Clinton/Gore administration, not that he was necessarily opposed to peace and prosperity. Now that I think about the last four years, maybe he really did mean that. ;)

I think he just gets flustered. Mind you, I don't think he's a genius, but I don't think he's as dumb as his quotes make him look. George W. Bush is not someone with extensive experience in public speaking, much less being the President of the United States and having everything you say analyzed, whether it's an official speech or just offhand comments. His speaking abilities seem to have gotten worse since he was Governor of Texas. I think that he's become overly self-concious of his lack of communication skill, which has resulted not only in his horrible choices of words, but also the stilted and awkward way he speaks.

kablooey

Semjaza Azazel said:
"One year ago today, the time for excuse-making has come to an end." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 8, 2003

For some reason I like this one best.

Hahaha. Me too. :D

You know, if Dubya actually intended to say some of these things, he'd be a genius. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom